HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Learning/playing adult checking

Old
05-09-2013, 09:01 AM
jazzykat

vCash: 500
Learning/playing adult checking

I am considering joining a scrimmage group where moderate (since there is no ref, people don't do stupid, borderline crap) hitting is permitted. I do not know how to check or more importantly how to receive a check. Questions:

1. Is this a flat out stupid idea that is sure to get me hurt?

2. Assuming the answer to #1 is no, then what is the best way to learn?

Please be brutally honest, because I'd rather get my feelings/pride hurt then seriously injure myself due to be out of my depth. I fully accept that injuries are a part of the game but if you think learning by playing is not an option then I can accept that.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:33 AM
ganave

Ask if it is no-checking, but contact is okay.

The game is obviously physical in nature and there's always going to be contact. It might just mean expect some contact when people are battling for the puck

If it's no-checking you should be fine, if it is checking, you'll probably want to pass on it.

Disclaimer, I'm a goalie. I get run over all the time

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Watch them play a couple times. Usually there's a difference between no-checking and no-contact. Most hockey is no-check but contact is fine. But I'd never play a game where everyone's out to lay big hits. I have a day job.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:18 AM
McDugan

It really depends on the subtleties of how this group plays. If it's hip-to-hip and shoulder-to-shoulder "gentlemanly" stuff, and you're a competent, stable skater, you should be fine.

But notice that my description is very subjective. Everybody's standard will be a bit different based on past experience, peak level of play, skating ability, etc.

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:17 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I agree, go watch them.

I play in a developmental class/league that is no checking. Lots of beginners and "fragile" skaters who will drop if you breathe on them. But as the season has gone on, certain people have started playing rougher, and some of us don't like it. Sure, I'm ok with the normal contact that is inevitable - but ive seen the hacks, trips and slashes get out of control, with even some roughing calls. One guy was hit into the boards this past week and was visibly shaken when he got up. I thought he was shaking his stick because he was mad, but he actually was just really rattled. We haven't been taught how to take a hit and nobody is expecting it in this league. Obviously some people haven't received the memo...

So watch, see how hard they play and how hard the checks are. At least you'll know ahead of time what to expect.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:33 PM
jazzykat

I don't care if I get rocked on occasion. I just don't want crippling joint injuries.

Learning is painful and uncomfortable in just about anything humans do.

My friend told me since I am more of a beginner no-one will be lining me up in their gun sights to clean my clock out so I'm gonna go for it.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Eh, only takes on jackass to hit you while your head is down to put you out for several months. That's why I'd watch the games.

Old
05-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Eh, only takes on jackass to hit you while your head is down to put you out for several months. That's why I'd watch the games.
I'd watch too, just so you know what you're getting yourself into.

I think a lot of this question has to do with how well you skate, how in shape you are, and maybe how old you are. I played my last checking game at 29, just shy of my 30th birthday, and I wouldn't go back, even though I've been playing my entire life. I was coaxed out of semi retirement when I went back to college, played a few years of ACHA, had a lot of fun, but it did end up taking a toll on my body.

I think a big consideration should be who these guys are. If it's a friendly scrimmage with some contact, I'd be more likely to give it a go, as the likelihood of somebody trying to run you will be close to nil. When I was playing in high school/college, etc, guys routinely tried to take your head off, which you depending on your circumstances, should be staying away from.

So, I'd check it out, just be careful and keep your head up if you decide to play. Remember also, lead with your shoulder, not with your arms or you're just going to end up causing problems. Beginner hitters almost always want to lead with their arms, and it's a hard habit to break.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 06:51 PM
bwhinnen

I'd say watch a game as well, but after getting our first checking training on Saturday, I'd also say find someone to run through it with you especially the taking of hits. I can echo the comments above about newer skaters (and even some experienced ones) taking hits for the first time and their lack of stability.

Also if you play with just nets and the boards then you need to take that into consideration otherwise you could end up with some very sore ribs. We have no glass here where I play (sorry attempt to play), so we have to be mindful of any hit that comes in along the boards, even though we play a strict no-checking league.

bwhinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:11 AM
JoeCool16

Be really careful around the boards at the start. It may seem like a bad idea, but I'd recommend not exploding into anyone if you're along the boards and they're coming at you. In fact, putting yourself right against the boards physically is best from what I've found... they just bounce off.

If you don't though, you can get rocked headfirst into the boards. I've only played contact a few times, and I hated it TBH. I don't mind physical play, but actual checking scares me haha

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 05:46 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
I don't care if I get rocked on occasion. I just don't want crippling joint injuries.

Learning is painful and uncomfortable in just about anything humans do.

My friend told me since I am more of a beginner no-one will be lining me up in their gun sights to clean my clock out so I'm gonna go for it.
Brutally honest? You're a beginner and you want to play contact hockey with no skills? You're asking to get crippled. If having someone wipe drool off your face for the rest of your life sounds like a good time, have at it.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 05:50 PM
mikitas donut
Flowers of Antimony

I was always told that if you didn't grow up playing full check hockey, playing it as an adult is dangerous. People don't know how to give and take hits, and we're no longer kids with elastic bones and low centers of gravity.

No check hockey is plenty physical for adults that are playing as a hobby and form of exercise. There is still lots of contact.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:11 AM
sanityplease

Honestly, #1 is the correct answer.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Oh_so_saad

i would never play adult check hockey.
There is way to many idiots that have no idea what there doing out there. i always lol when some tries to line me up in adult league when they think i have my head down, just for me to pile thru them with puck in tact.

Im firm believer of you played the game growing with contact its one thing to play that style, but there is really no place for it, seeing how alot of adults dont start playing till there adults, and really are not aware of how to properly go into the boards let alone deliver/ recieve a clean check.

Oh_so_saad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:24 PM
TheGreatOutlaw

Hate to agree with a Hawks fan after that beating they gave my team last night but....I have played hockey since I was 8 until now 26. If you have never learned to take/deliver a check trying to play now is beyond dumb. You are seriously putting yourself at risk. I have played every level from rec, high school, travel 11-18, ACHA, beer league (18 to present), adult travel, and pick up, but any working adult would not want to play checking hockey. Checking hockey is for adults who get payed to play whether it is in a paycheck or education. Putting yourself at risk for just checking isn't a smart idea. I love having adults who don't know how to check take a run at me because I am 5`9 and 180lb and just run them over simply because they don't know how to check. Adult hockey is about having fun, not being showing someone how tough or hard you can be. If any player is such a tough SOB or checker they would be playing some form of PROFESSIONAL hockey. At the pay to play stages, I really don't feel like there is a need for full check hockey. Yes, I have played pick up with friends who know how to check and throw some bodies( not full check), but we are not trying to put each other through the glass or ice. I still don't even like that because I do not wish to get hurt or miss work. I also don't want any working adult to be turned into vegetable soup for the rest of their live for playing the great game of hockey for fun.

Last edited by TheGreatOutlaw: 05-16-2013 at 02:32 PM.
TheGreatOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Not to mention the second you have the puck on your stick you have to watch out for the one jackass who's going to try to murder you rather than bump you off. I mean, that's happened to me playing no-check hockey.

Old
05-17-2013, 08:53 PM
jazzykat

Ok. I'm appropriately dissuaded. Thanks for the advice!

Old
05-19-2013, 04:26 AM
howeaboutthat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Not to mention the second you have the puck on your stick you have to watch out for the one jackass who's going to try to murder you rather than bump you off. I mean, that's happened to me playing no-check hockey.
Ah yes the 'play for the player not the puck' type.

There are a few rinks over here in the UK which are laughably under-sized but, due to the lack of available ice, get used for 5 on 5 games. The teams who play out of such rinks develop their own games to reflect the nature of a game played on such tiny ice and invariably checking games against such teams turn into a pinball blood bath.

howeaboutthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 05:21 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Even in a no hitting league, you are going to see a fair amount of contact at any level. Lower levels are worse in a way because it's often players who don't know how to make or absorb contact. My only advice is to keep your head up, stay low and don't expose your back when you're facing the boards. I'm not a big guy at all (5'10 160lb) but when I get in a decently deep hockey position with my knees bent, it's not easy to knock me over. I also always go into the boards with my shoulders parallel to the boards as often as possible. Seriously though, if you're even asking the question, the answer is probably that it's not a great idea. Simply not worth a potentially serious injury.

mrmyheadhurts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 03:49 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
Ok. I'm appropriately dissuaded. Thanks for the advice!
It's really not worth it, lol. Unless you (and the other guys) have grown up playing checking hockey your entire lives, someone is going to do something stupid. No refs would probably make it worse IMO.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:20 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkEye View Post
Wait, are you telling him to turn into the boards? That's a no no. Why would you want to do that? If you have to take a hit along the boards you want your shoulders to be perpendicular to the boards.
Obviously not, sorry if I worded it poorly.

mrmyheadhurts is online now   Reply With Quote