HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Roy... Our new coach and Vice President Of Hockey Operations

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2013, 11:48 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Supposedly Sakic's been in Florida with Roy for the last few days according to this article...

http://tvasports.ca/hockey/lnh/roy-s...sacco-21052013

Rumor seems to be gaining legs.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:50 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway View Post
Radulov is a UFA this summer I believe (would need to get out of his KHL deal)
That shouldn't be a problem with KHL contracts and he seemed to have a run in with the coach over there this season as well.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:52 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Supposedly Sakic's been in Florida with Roy for the last few days according to this article...

http://tvasports.ca/hockey/lnh/roy-s...sacco-21052013

Rumor seems to be gaining legs.
I believe they're just quoting Dater's article:

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_...oach-according

Old
05-20-2013, 11:53 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

McGinn - Duchene - Parenteau
Landeskog - O'Reilly - Downie
Jones - Stastny - Radulov
McLeod - Mitchell - Kobasew/Olver

Wilson - Johnson
Hejda - Jones
Hunwick/Zannon - Barrie

Varlamov
Giguere

Hopeful line up for next season? I can dream right?

Old
05-20-2013, 11:55 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Are we gonna hear about Radulov every day for real?

I would take him any day. But it's still so far fetched.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:58 PM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

So pumped. I'm not that educated on his junior coaching career, but it appears he's been really successful down there. He'll be really respected by the players, has a personality that you'd want as a coach. Roy has that fire to win and he deff should be able to light a match under this team.

I figured we wouldn't have had a coach this soon. If this does turn out to be true how do people think this affects the draft pick/FA/trades etc? We already know Roy wanted the money and power so gotta think that was discussed and he'll have his hands in alot of things moving forward, if it is true.

I am kinda worried tho because I feel like Patty Roy was my number choice because he's Patty Roy so can't really have an unbiased opinion on the matter.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:59 PM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Are we gonna hear about Radulov every day for real?

I would take him any day. But it's still so far fetched.
What I don't is he's making 9 mill a year isn't he? I know KHL contracts aren't concrete but I'd love to see the owners reaction over the when Radulov asks to get out of that so he can come over here for far less.

Why would a guy break that kinda contract? He's from Russia and hasn't seemed to care much about playing in the NHL so far in his career.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:02 AM
Freudian
Ready for some hokey

vCash: 50
Radulov signed a four year contract last summer, making over $9M/year. He'll be in the KHL for a long time.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:03 AM
RockLobster
Jon Snow, Uneducated

vCash: 844
Let's keep this about Roy, not about whether or not Radulov would come back to the NHL.

(For the record, I don't think he's coming back to the NHL, he's making too much money in the KHL)

Hope shines brightest, in the dark, where nothing's ever seen. Lighting undiscovered places, no one's ever been.
Old
05-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewHope View Post
What I don't is he's making 9 mill a year isn't he? I know KHL contracts aren't concrete but I'd love to see the owners reaction over the when Radulov asks to get out of that so he can come over here for far less.

Why would a guy break that kinda contract? He's from Russia and hasn't seemed to care much about playing in the NHL so far in his career.
I wouldn't mind giving him a 1 year 7M contract or something like that. Something similar to what Semin got.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:10 AM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

Radulov will bolt back to KHL after about 8 games anyways.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:11 AM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
I wouldn't mind giving him a 1 year 7M contract or something like that. Something similar to what Semin got.
Why would he take a deal like that? Gives him no longterm security + he loses 2 mill a year. Literally no logical reason for him to do it besides wanting to play in the NHL and I seriously doubt Roy has THAT much pull with him.

Back on topic perhaps this means the chances of picking Mackinnon got higher?

Old
05-21-2013, 12:11 AM
S3rkie

Got to wonder if this just made the draft a tad more interesting...

Old
05-21-2013, 12:14 AM
RockLobster
Jon Snow, Uneducated

Quote:
Why would he take a deal like that? Gives him no longterm security + he loses 2 mill a year. Literally no logical reason for him to do it besides wanting to play in the NHL and I seriously doubt Roy has THAT much pull with him.

Back on topic perhaps this means the chances of picking Mackinnon got higher?
It's not really on the topic of Roy as Avs coach, but I've got to ask...Why would this mean that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post
Got to wonder if this just made the draft a tad more interesting...
Again, why would this make the draft "more interesting"?

Old
05-21-2013, 12:20 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
It's not really on the topic of Roy as Avs coach, but I've got to ask...Why would this mean that?

I assume they mean because Roy saw a lot of Mackinnon/Drouin while coaching in Quebec and he might try to push for one of them in the draft.

Or maybe he'll prefer the BPA (Jones) just like Sakic and Pracey will.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:23 AM
RockLobster
Jon Snow, Uneducated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I assume they mean because Roy saw a lot of Mackinnon/Drouin while coaching in Quebec and he might try to push for one of them in the draft.

Or maybe he'll prefer the BPA (Jones) just like Sakic and Pracey will.
That may be the case, but Joe basically said that the whoever the new Coach is, will have to be on board with the decision on the draft pick.

So whoever that coach is (if it is Roy) he's going to have to be "OK" with whoever they want, he's going to have no say in it, other than giving his opinion.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:25 AM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

Quote:

I was half kidding about Mackinnon because Roy has coached in the Q and I know he loves the Q and Mackinnon obviously is a product of the Q. Heard people talk about him loving high tempo offense which Mackinnon basically is the definition of. Like I said I don't know much about his junior coaching career, I actually seen his records because of your post. So I don't know how accurate it is about him having a high tempo offense, gotta think Duchene and Mack would be appealing if that was the case.

It has been noted that Roy wants money and power, has it not? he wants to have his voice heard. He was the GM/coach with the Ramparts, no? and wasn't he after a similar gig in the NHL where he had a big say in the teams direction? Who knows what happens, but Roy playing a big part in where this team is headed could be a real possibility. So yeah could change the draft up considering most of us assumed we wouldn't have a coach until the draft which would mean they wouldn't have much say. Still a month to go until we pick ..

I would be more curious about what this means for free agency and our roster in general, not the draft.

Sorry if that's off topic, Roy becoming coach could = him having a say in areas outside of coaching so seems relevant to me.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:32 AM
S3rkie

Quote:
He knows the players well, and im sure Sakic isnt going to just ignore his insights.

Old
Avs_19
Peter the Great

I'm sure Sakic will be more than happy to listen to Roy's suggestions but that doesn't mean that's what they'll do. The 1st overall pick will be BPA so it'll be Jones.

But Sakic and Pracey could be more willing to draft someone out of the Q with our 2nd or 3rd pick if Roy really likes a player. Maybe someone like Duclair at 32 if Roy pushes for him and our scouting staff likes him.

Old
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

This is purely wild speculation on my part.

But if Sakic and Roy were meeting in Florida, and there was a rumor not to long ago about Guy Boucher coming to Colorado to coach, and if I am not mistaken he to lives in Florida....

Maybe, we'll have Roy as Head Coach and Boucher come in as Roy's assistant?

Wild speculation on my part, but I would be ecstatic if those 2 joined our coaching staff for next year.

Immediately makes us playoff contender IMO.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:33 AM
RockLobster
Jon Snow, Uneducated

Quote:
I was half kidding about Mackinnon because Roy has coached in the Q and I know he loves the Q and Mackinnon obviously is a product of the Q. Heard people talk about him loving high tempo offense which Mackinnon basically is the definition of. Like I said I don't know much about his junior coaching career, I actually seen his records because of your post. So I don't know how accurate it is about him having a high tempo offense, gotta think Duchene and Mack would be appealing if that was the case.

It has been noted that Roy wants money and power, has it not? he wants to have his voice heard. He was the GM/coach with the Ramparts, no? and wasn't he after a similar gig in the NHL where he had a big say in the teams direction? Who knows what happens, but Roy playing a big part in where this team is headed could be a real possibility. So yeah could change the draft up considering most of us assumed we wouldn't have a coach until the draft which would mean they wouldn't have much say. Still a month to go until we pick ..

I would be more curious about what this means for free agency and our roster in general, not the draft.

Sorry if that's off topic, Roy becoming coach could = him having a say in areas outside of coaching so seems relevant to me.
I didn't think of it this way, so you've made some valid points.

But I can't see Joe publicly saying that he has final say on all hockey related decisions, and saying on the Radio that the new coach is going to have to be on board with their decision for the draft pick, only to waffle because of Patrick Roy.

Patrick, if he is the new coach, will most assuredly get some sort of say in certain things, but Joe makes the final decision, and if Joe doesn't agree with something Patrick wants, then I'm sure he (Patrick) knows that Joe gets the final say.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:37 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post

But if Sakic and Roy were meeting in Florida, and there was a rumor not to long ago about Guy Boucher coming to Colorado to coach, and if I am not mistaken he to lives in Florida....

Wild speculation on my part, but I would be ecstatic if those 2 joined our coaching staff for next year.

A few people here jokingly said that when the Boucher speculation first started because of what Roy said about Boucher's style in the past but it could be a possibility. Back in 2009 there was a report that Roy wanted to bring in Boucher and Lefebvre as his assistants if he took a NHL job.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:37 AM
Drury_Sakic

While the Avs may consider it more because of Roy, I think it is a huge leap to say the Avs won't select Jones. Even Roy would have to know that having Jones on the roster/in the system is the best way to improve the roster...and thus win and keep his job.

Only way I see the Avs not picking Jones is if they use the pick to acquire a proven #1 D man in a trade OR trade down to the 2-3 spot for a big return and then use Stastny + other pieces to get a D man or two.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:39 AM
AvsFanRCN

Quote:

It would be great to have those two on the bench, but if memory serves I don't think they like eachother, or at least Roy doesn't have a whole lot of respect for boucher as a coach.

Though things could have changed since their days coaching opposite eachother in the Q

Old
05-21-2013, 12:42 AM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Quote:

That would be such a fierce bench. Love it.

Closed Thread