HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Roy... Our new coach and Vice President Of Hockey Operations

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2013, 10:20 AM
ABasin
Beer is good food

vCash: 500
Sakic, now Roy?

If so, this just shows me that the organization really hasn't changed - it values familiarity more than anything else. Sakic has little experience, yet got one of 30 such jobs in the world. I realize that Roy is a little different, in that he went out and made his own way as a junior coach for 8 years. But still.

I'm left to just hope that this turn around the nepotism merry-go-round results in more individual ability than the last turn.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:20 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I don't see a well-run organization bringing in assistants who would be in a position to gun for the head coach job (like Boucher). I would expect one of the assistants to be someone Roy is extremely familiar with (think former teammate) and respects as a hockey guy, and the other to be a very experienced career assistant coach.

I'll also repeat what I accidentally said in the other thread, that I didn't hear about any other interviews, which makes it seem like the front office already knew who they wanted.

As for "tarnishing the legacy", I don't see it. Dale Hunter came in to Washington, was not particularly well received, and my guess is that in not too long few will remember that he came in and coached a half season. Similarly (from the Caps experience with Hunter), the respect that a coach gets from the players for his playing career lasts about 1 practice. After that, it's about how much he's showed the team he knows, and the relationships he builds with the players.
I don't know if any team generally talks about interviews with other candidates when hiring a new coach.

So we don't know if the Avs did, or if they didn't.

IF they didn't interview anyone else, it wouldn't necessarily surprise me, because Friedman reported that if Sakic were to take this job (which he did) that his first choice would be Patrick (which it looks like is happening).

Take me to church, I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies. I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife.
Old
05-21-2013, 10:21 AM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterBluth View Post
Doesn't it concern you that it appears as though Sakic didn't interview coaches in the NHL?
For instance, would you rather have a coach with a .600 record in the NHL or a .700 record in the Q or AHL with no NHL experience?
There is nothing saying that he didn't. We didn't know about this interview until it leaked out from the Roy side. The Avs could have very well been in contact with a bunch of coaches about the job, but labeled Roy as their #1.

Just because there is a lack of information, doesn't mean they didn't check out all options. Just like because we don't understand how Puma Punku was built, doesn't mean aliens did it.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:25 AM
BusterBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
You obviously don't know all that much about Roy's personality. He wants to win and will accept nothing less than competing for the cup. He wouldn't take a job with a team that isn't even trying to get a cup or doesn't have the resources to reach it.
So could I extrapolate from what you have said that our roster as it stands is good enough to win the cup and that Sacco was the only component holding us back? Because you're saying he would only accept the position if this was true.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Sheet

vCash: 50
Even if this was a comfort hire it still shows a commitment to win otherwise not there before.

I think most of us wouldn't of been surprised to see sacco finish his contract.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:27 AM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
So could I extrapolate from what you have said that our roster as it stands is good enough to win the cup and that Sacco was the only component holding us back? Because you're saying he would only accept the position if this was true.
Because changes to the team and building a better overall team cannot ever be promised to a potential coach...

Old
05-21-2013, 10:28 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
No, he didn't say that at all.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:28 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I'm happy with the Roy hire, but I hope that Foote is not a part of this deal like it was rumored. Get rid of Army and let Roy bring in his own assistants, hopefully with some experience.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:29 AM
BusterBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Sakic, now Roy?

If so, this just shows me that the organization really hasn't changed - it values familiarity more than anything else. Sakic has little experience, yet got one of 30 such jobs in the world. I realize that Roy is a little different, in that he went out and made his own way as a junior coach for 8 years. But still.

I'm left to just hope that this turn around the nepotism merry-go-round results in more individual ability than the last turn.
100% Agree.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:29 AM
foppagirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceRat View Post
well I'm glad we narrowed it down
You know what I mean.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:30 AM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
I'm happy with the Roy hire, but I hope that Foote is not a part of this deal like it was rumored. Get rid of Army and let Roy bring in his own assistants.
I agree with this. Hopefully Roy gets his choice on every assistant... if it happens to be Foote then, I would be okay with it.

Old
Sheet

Quote:
I'm happy with the Roy hire, but I hope that Foote is not a part of this deal like it was rumored. Get rid of Army and let Roy bring in his own assistants.
It's my understanding this normally happens with new coaches but I could be wrong.

Old
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
No one is dumb enough to think our current roster can win the Cup. However what he is saying is that unlike the last couple years it appears the Avalanche are going to focus more on winning. No more rebuilding, no more high draft picks and more accountability. Even Sakic said that he wants to start winning again at the press conference where he was promoted. Roy did not come here to squeak into playoffs and get knocked out first round. He wants to go all the way and for that to happen the roster will change.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:31 AM
foppagirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Sakic, now Roy?

I was going to make a similar comment. This sums up my hesitation to a T.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:31 AM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

adater ‏@adater 30s
Montreal radio station 98.5 FM says Roy has not received any offer from Avs

Old
05-21-2013, 10:33 AM
BusterBluth

Quote:
Yea...let's not rush Foote. We need some players from our stanley cup winning days to take over for Roy when he is not re-signed! Save him for the post-Patrick Roy days!

Although, we still have the Hejduk era to look forward to.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:34 AM
BusterBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
adater ‏@adater 30s
Excellent!

Sakic, please don't let us down! Wait until we see who becomes available. There is absolutely NO rush!

Old
05-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
adater ‏@adater 30s
I won't believe anything until the avs announce something something about an hc. Dater I've learned is useless as far as breaking news go's.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:36 AM
BusterBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
No one is dumb enough to think our current roster can win the Cup. However what he is saying is that unlike the last couple years it appears the Avalanche are going to focus more on winning. No more rebuilding, no more high draft picks and more accountability. Even Sakic said that he wants to start winning again at the press conference where he was promoted. Roy did not come here to squeak into playoffs and get knocked out first round. He wants to go all the way and for that to happen the roster will change.
Come on! What kind of press conference introducing a new GM (for all intents and purposes), wouldn't say how they are committed to winning? No changes have been yet to be made by Joe Sakic.

In fact, I would go so far to suggest that offering Roy the position of Head Coach so soon would indicate that this team is not committed to change but rather the same mob-family approach we have seen under PL.

Edit: we are picking first overall this year. There is no reason to belive that next year we will win the president's trophy or win a division. If we are to be honest with ourselves, we will be fortunate to compete for the number 8 spot.

[In the interest of full disclosure, against all odds, I did believe at the begining of each of our past three seasons that we would make the playoffs. I have a bias towards our roster and really love this team. I just really would like to see this organization run in a manner that is different than what we saw under PL even if it means we don't have the best season next year.]

Old
05-21-2013, 10:37 AM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheet View Post
I won't believe anything until the avs announce something something about an hc. Dater I've learned is useless as far as breaking news go's.
People would think, and rightfully so, that Patrick's brother saying that it will happen is about as good of source as any on the subject. A number of hockey writers have also commented on the Avs and Roy in negotiations.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Thrawn

Kinda has the old Blues Brothers feel to it.... "putting the band back together."

I'm hoping this is true though. Roy always brought that competetive fire that seemed to be lacking in intensity ever since he retired.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:39 AM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Come on! What kind of press conference introducing a new GM (for all intents and purposes), wouldn't say how they are committed to winning? No changes have been yet to be made by Joe Sakic.

In fact, I would go so far to suggest that offering Roy the position of Head Coach so soon would indicate that this team is not committed to change but rather the same mob-family approach we have seen under PL.
The only real change he can make is the coach, and the said that is the first thing that would come. Trades can be made now, but almost never are. Most teams wait until at least a few days after the Cup Finals are over.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:39 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
People would think, and rightfully so, that Patrick's brother saying that it will happen is about as good of source as any on the subject. A number of hockey writers have also commented on the Avs and Roy in negotiations.
And haven't the Avs said there is no done deal yet? Doesn't sound like they are not in negotiations with Roy.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:40 AM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by klozge View Post
And haven't the Avs said there is no done deal yet? Doesn't sound like they are not in negotiations with Roy.
Yeah through Dater they said no deal in place, which pretty much says they are talking.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:40 AM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:

I'm starting to get this bad feeling also.

We (again) have an organization guy in charge of the team, but who is not GM.

We (again) gave one of 30 such positions to a guy without any real experience ever having done that job.

We (again) hire a guy as coach, who has never coached a single game in the NHL. (this assumes Roy is given the job).

Now, the Roy hiring is at least a little different, because he went out of the organization to make his own way, which he did. So, we're likely in a lot better shape than Sacco, Granato, et al.

But is this really any different? If they do some braindead thing like giving Foote an assistant coach job, then we all know without a doubt that nothing at all has changed.

Closed Thread