HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Simon Moser will attend the camp of the Predators!

Old
05-21-2013, 06:37 PM
koh19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Not excited because this story plays out with multiple players every season, for every team. I guess the feeling is, if he was going to be an impact player in the NHL wouldn't he have been drafted at some point? and how many player who were signed to a tryout ended up being a top-6 guy?

So until we see it actually happen, then we're going to have a very reserved reaction to a signing like this.
Mark Streit was drafted at age 26 by Montreal. Now he's the captain of an NHL playoff team.

Again, just because you're not drafted, it doesn't mean you can't become an impact player.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

so... one guy made it as an older draft pick, and now i'm supposed to be excited about EVERY tryout signing?

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:11 PM
koh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
so... one guy made it as an older draft pick, and now i'm supposed to be excited about EVERY tryout signing?
I'm pretty sure he's not the ONLY one. Plus, plenty of undrafted guys who were well into their 20s when they made the transition from european leagues to NA have become very decent NHLers.

I'm not asking you guys to be excited, just let the guy prove what he's worth. I just think it's silly to say things like: "oh well, another 3rd line grinder who can play physical and put up a few points, that's really gonna help us". Can't we all just have a positive mindset? There's zero risk here for Nashville. If he makes it and becomes a great player, then fantastic, if he doesn't, then too bad, he'll most likely return to the Swiss league.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:42 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
I'm pretty sure he's not the ONLY one. Plus, plenty of undrafted guys who were well into their 20s when they made the transition from european leagues to NA have become very decent NHLers.

I'm not asking you guys to be excited, just let the guy prove what he's worth. I just think it's silly to say things like: "oh well, another 3rd line grinder who can play physical and put up a few points, that's really gonna help us". Can't we all just have a positive mindset? There's zero risk here for Nashville. If he makes it and becomes a great player, then fantastic, if he doesn't, then too bad, he'll most likely return to the Swiss league.
Yawn.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 08:48 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Not really sure why people are hating on this. This is a good thing.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Not really sure why people are hating on this. This is a good thing.
Not hating on it at all, just not rejoicing over it either. This is a wait and see move, could work out, but could not work out either. There is a leaguewide track record of it not working out.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 12:46 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
For our Swiss friends, the sentiment is due to the fact that no one knows who we are getting and honestly don't care because they want top line talent and everyone else is a dime a dozen. Depth is needed to have a successful team. I like the fact that seemingly every season we bring someone back from the World Championships. The Preds have refined their scouting eye and have been bringing in guys with size and skill the past few seasons after bringing in Linus Klasen who quickly flamed out.

If you watch Moser's goal vs. Norway, you'll see his game. There is also a highlight video from 2008-12 available on YouTube. I like that Chicago was interested in him lay season prior to his injury. Time away can add to a player's drive and desire to succeed slamming home the reality that they might not get another chance.

Looking forward to seeing what Moser can bring to camp. No expectations. But keeping an open mind...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 12:55 AM
torero

In fact, we see here, on this board, a confrontation between :

Fans of an NHL team (Preds), that see 10's of "diamond's in the rough", "new Pavel" or "new Z" every year. So for them it's one more until they have something to see, to touch.

Swiss fans who are frustrated because their players have not been recognized.

++

The fact is that Swiss players do not go abroad lightly ! The Swiss league is a good league !! Salaries are decent, taxes are low ... players will try to come over for a higher salary than the base NHL salary !
The base NHL salary is of little interest to them. Through lower taxes, a player that has a chance as borderline NHL'er has almost this salary in Switzerland + less games + sleeping at night at home + cosier league + cosier situation (not having to battle daily for his place)
So if they come over, it means generally that their expectations are well above the 4th liner grinder.
Most other euros don't have a good league at home (global picture ! not only technical level but standard of life, salary, safety, good school for children). Therefore they will move for lower expectations.

At the end, we will have to wait and see what Moser will do in the camp, and see if he adjusts and if he gets a chance.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 12:56 AM
caley

The translation I read about this seemed to hint that he had signed a contract with Nashville, but it was badly translated and I couldn't figure it out.

If you watched the WHCs, Moser was quite noticeable and Mark Crawford (who did commentary) said that a lot of NHL scouts were interested in him based on his WHC play.

05-22-2013, 12:57 AM
swissexpert

no one ever asked you to be excited about a guy you've never seen before.
I just hate the "oh, another useless body" comments about a player who can only bring you an upgrade or at least some competition but in no way a risk for the organization..

swissexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 01:11 AM
Seth Lake

Highlight video. Moser is No. 89.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:16 AM
Seth Lake

Highlights from Switzerland's 3-1 win over Norway.

Moser scores the first goal. Josi scores the second shorthanded. Josi stuns Tollefsen with the initial shot leading to the third Swiss goal. Tollefsen scores Norway's only goal of the game.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:53 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
For our Swiss friends, the sentiment is due to the fact that no one knows who we are getting and honestly don't care because they want top line talent and everyone else is a dime a dozen. Depth is needed to have a successful team. I like the fact that seemingly every season we bring someone back from the World Championships. The Preds have refined their scouting eye and have been bringing in guys with size and skill the past few seasons after bringing in Linus Klasen who quickly flamed out.

If you watch Moser's goal vs. Norway, you'll see his game. There is also a highlight video from 2008-12 available on YouTube. I like that Chicago was interested in him lay season prior to his injury. Time away can add to a player's drive and desire to succeed slamming home the reality that they might not get another chance.

Looking forward to seeing what Moser can bring to camp. No expectations. But keeping an open mind...
Great points. I'm always interested to see what these training camp invites can do. No risk, high reward type move. Even if he's nothing more than a bottom 6 type over here, if it in any way improves upon our bottom 6, it's a win.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 05:32 AM
doug88

vCash: 365
C'mon guys! Just because we won a silver medal doesn't mean all our players will make it to the NHL.. I mean Moser was good but nothing spectacular, he had a bad season with Langnau, barely scored 10 goals. Okay he was injured and needed time to get back on track but still, to me he's not ready for the NHL -might never be- What this Nashville team needs is goals scorer and that's not what Moser does best.. But well, let's wait till training camp and see how he does.

doug88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 05:47 AM
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug88 View Post
C'mon guys! Just because we won a silver medal doesn't mean all our players will make it to the NHL.. I mean Moser was good but nothing spectacular, he had a bad season with Langnau, barely scored 10 goals. Okay he was injured and needed time to get back on track but still, to me he's not ready for the NHL -might never be- What this Nashville team needs is goals scorer and that's not what Moser does best.. But well, let's wait till training camp and see how he does.
This x1000

Why do you guys expect the fans of the Preds to do backflips over the news that a random swiss dude whom they probably never heard of is going to attend the training camp?

Big. F***ing. Deal.

As multiple guys have already stated: He'll be a physical presence for the third line, probably a part time (if someone is injured) 2nd liner at best. That's not exactly what this team needs, as (no offence) most of their forwards are exactly that kind of players.

Calm down a little, no need to be ******** over the not-so-excited comments from Preds fans

TheNeutrality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 02:45 AM
Nashville Transplant

I'm sure, if he reads these boards, and this thread, Roman Josi is having a good laugh.

I'm all for this tryout. After all, it's not as if the team is set in stone. A little training camp competition might be good to light a fire under some ***** that need a little motivation and a hint that their NHL paychecks are not etched in stone.

Last edited by Seth Lake: 05-26-2013 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Allow the filter to do it's job, don't circumvent it.
Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 08:13 AM
braindead

I, for one, am VERY excited. As long as Yip is on our team, any free agent or invitee is a potential upgrade. We have at least three waiver wire pickups on our team- at least moser hasn't LOST an NHL roster spot yet!

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 12:53 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

[insert standard comment here]

There is no negative in inviting a kid to camp to create some competition. Just because Poile gave him a camp invited does not mean it's simply more of the same. A team needs role players just like it needs top end talent. Hell, free agency hasn't even opened yet. Expectations need to be tempered.

And just because Preds fans are not so excited about a possible depth player doesn't mean we are hating on the kid. We'll see how things go.

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

05-26-2013, 01:31 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

We have no knowledge basis of Simon. If he turns into the Suisse Gretz, we will be thrilled. We will build alters to his name. But we just don't know, so no excitement

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 08:59 AM
Jubal

Don't know if its already been said, but it looks like Josi wanted him on the team:

Quote:
“I told him that the organization and the city are cool, it’s nice to live there and I was hoping he would decide to join us,” he said.
http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=febdd3c7a2

Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 09:37 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Don't know if its already been said, but it looks like Josi wanted him on the team:

I know this is a very minor example, as Moser may or may not end up in our organization at all, but man, it is nice to see our guys going out and actively recruiting people to come aboard. Wouldn't be surprised if Josi put in a good word for Moser at the front office two, but with all questions of "Do people want to play here?" floating around, it's very refreshing to see Josi pull in someone.

Let's hope he can work his magic with Streit this summer. IIRC Josi said that's his idol. Get Josi, Streit, and Moser on a team, and we'll have quite a few Swiss people wearing gold.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 01:51 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:

Nice to see Josi trying to sell Nashville on people. I hope the kid comes over and nails it.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 11:09 PM
Jubal

Agreed. I'm really glad Josi is spreading good word about the organization, (hope others are too) and Id be extremely happy if he helped convince Streit.

Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 03:34 AM
doug88

vCash: 365
Quote:
Agreed. I'm really glad Josi is spreading good word about the organization, (hope others are too) and Id be extremely happy if he helped convince Streit.
Yeah that's a good thing! I'm a huge preds fan but I feel like I'm the only guy rooting for this team in Switzerland.. All my friends makes fun of me cause I'm a preds fan, they say it's not a hockey town and everything. Makes me mad cause it's a great team but well things might change if Poile add a couple of swiss guys on this team.. But forget about Steit, he won't come!

doug88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 11:27 AM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug88 View Post
Yeah that's a good thing! I'm a huge preds fan but I feel like I'm the only guy rooting for this team in Switzerland.. All my friends makes fun of me cause I'm a preds fan, they say it's not a hockey town and everything. Makes me mad cause it's a great team but well things might change if Poile add a couple of swiss guys on this team.. But forget about Steit, he won't come!
Although we are not overcrowding the streets of Geneva, you are not alone as a Pred fan here over !!

Since Josi joined the organisation ... playing with the Amirals ... i discovered the Preds ... and definitely started rooting for them.
Great team.

Pity Tootoo left.

++

By the way, Josi speaks definitely very well about the Preds here in Switzerland. (Swiss NHL'ers are back in summer ... and this is our hockey media food for summer).
I don't remember him having expressed negative thoughts about the organization. Actually he even thinks that life in Nashville is close to life in Switzerland ... to some minor differences.

++

And Streit, Josi and Moser are all from Bern. A historical hockey region.

Last edited by torero: 06-01-2013 at 11:38 AM.
torero is offline   Reply With Quote