HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Board realignment discussion II (Jackets officially to the Atlantic Division)

Old
02-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

vCash: 500
CBJ Board realignment discussion II (Jackets officially to the Atlantic Division)

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...905844&page=40

Old
02-27-2013, 12:36 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

What the hell, did they split up the current east teams into Good Teams=Atlantic, Bad Teams=Central?

GoJackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:54 PM
db2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
Am I the only one who likes being in the tougher division? Yeah it might be tough for a few years. But if it doesn't happen until the 15/16 season all our picks from this year should be about nhl ready and it gives us 2 seasons to prepare our team for the eastern style.
I was under the impression it could/would happen for next season

I prefer a tougher division. It's not like we're in an easy division now.

db2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 900
I'm surprised that the owners of Eastern conference teams would support a proposal that makes it harder for a team to get to the playoffs.

Columbus Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:11 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus Mike View Post
I'm surprised that the owners of Eastern conference teams would support a proposal that makes it harder for a team to get to the playoffs.
One extra team than what they have right now. Not sure that is a show stopper.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:25 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
The changes would take effect next season.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=657635&cmpid=nhl-twt

Quote:
The National Hockey League is proposing a new realignment plan that would see the League go from six divisions to four divisions and introduce a form of divisional playoffs instead of the current conference system in place for the Stanley Cup Playoffs, according to a report by ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun.

The plan was detailed in a memo sent to the League's clubs Tuesday, according to LeBrun.

The plan needs approval from the National Hockey League Players' Association and the League's Board of Governors. If it passes, it would take effect for the 2013-14 regular season.

DJAnimosity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:27 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
What the hell, did they split up the current east teams into Good Teams=Atlantic, Bad Teams=Central?
Am I the only one who likes being in the tougher division? Yeah it might be tough for a few years. But if it doesn't happen until the 15/16 season all our picks from this year should be about nhl ready and it gives us 2 seasons to prepare our team for the eastern style.

slightlystewpid420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
Am I the only one who likes being in the tougher division?
Nope, you get better by playing better competition.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:50 PM
eljefe72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Nope, you get better by playing better competition.
The Jackets seem to have defied that logic as the Central division has gotten better over the last few years.

eljefe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:13 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

To me, realignment isn't about competetive advantage or disadvantage. It's about travel, rivalries, fans, road trips and so forth. The fact of the matter is, the current alignment sucks because there are too many late games against teams few here care about and too much travel than is sensible.

The idea of playing NY, Pitt, Philly isn't scary...it's *awesome* and will help this franchise in many ways, even if it means at first we have to deal with a lot of arena invasions...but even then, more money is never bad...

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:19 PM
JacketsDavid

It's good for TV ratings. Not sure if rivalries will be better or not? I mean our big 3 now are Detroit, Nashville and Chicago. So instead mix in Pittsburgh, Flyers and Rangers? IMO not much/any of an upgrade. I do like Pittsburgh I got to a Pirates game once/twice a year. If I go to a big city I much prefer Chicago over NYC. Cheap plane flights and more options. Philly vs Nashville? I like the downtown area of Nashville. So I'm ok either way. But I don't see it as a clear upgrade for rivalries going east.
And keep in mind good teams become bad teams. The only 2 constants since our existence in the NHL is Detroit is good (and IMO they are not as good this year) and the CBJ are bad. All other teams seem to rise and fall.

JacketsDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:52 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
One extra team than what they have right now. Not sure that is a show stopper.
But it could be if you are not one of the top 3's or the wild cards but still have more points than some of the top 3. Not going to be a frequent occurrence but it could happen.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:04 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
To me, realignment isn't about competetive advantage or disadvantage. It's about travel, rivalries, fans, road trips and so forth. The fact of the matter is, the current alignment sucks because there are too many late games against teams few here care about and too much travel than is sensible.

The idea of playing NY, Pitt, Philly isn't scary...it's *awesome* and will help this franchise in many ways, even if it means at first we have to deal with a lot of arena invasions...but even then, more money is never bad...
Agree, the only part of this I still do not like is the playoff format, but that might just be because it is something new.

I can't wait to take a North East road trip.

02-27-2013, 06:24 PM
major major

I like the intradivisional playoff aspect. Its just more meaningful to have a playoff battle with a rival. (like Cbus vs. Detroit or Nashville, rather than versus Anaheim.) With the wild cards added to the new proposal, there won't be as many intradivisional matchups, but it will still be more than we have now.

If playoffs were seeded today with the proposed new format, the matchups would be:

Montreal (1st seed) v. Detroit (wild card)
Boston (2) v. Ottawa (3)

Pittsburgh (1) v. Toronto (WC)
New Jersey (2) v. Carolina (3)

Chicago (1) v. Minnesota (WC)
Nashville (2) v. St. Louis (3)

Anaheim (1) v. San Jose (WC)
Vancouver (2) v. Los Angeles (3)

Looks like there would be some intense series.

Last edited by major major: 02-27-2013 at 06:37 PM.
major major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:44 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Also until CBJ can fill the arena with Jackets fans, the new division is full of out of town fans that will increase attendance

02-27-2013, 07:53 PM
BluejacketNut

Time zones will do nothing for tv ratings if we continue to lose. DVR's make it easy to watch the next day, so hopefully the wins will be the next change

Last edited by BluejacketNut: 02-27-2013 at 07:59 PM.
BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:07 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 1500
I'm in the minority but I don't like the proposal at all.

I don't like the disparity of playoff chances. And it will be years until expansion.

Expansion is a terrible idea. The NHL doesnt need 15 more defensemen with Mick Commodores (2011-12) skill set being promoted into the league.

It appears that Detroit got a sweetheart deal in this. They are put in a conference with overall lesser opponents. And it makes no sense that a team several hours north of Columbus is in a conference with 2 Florida teams.

I really dont see any issues with being in a conference with teams in the central time zones. The Reds have been in a league with Chicago, St Louis and Milwaukee for years. 8 pm games dont bother me at all. A balanced schedule would minimize the 10 pm starts. But the powers that be (Boston, Philly, etc aint going to sacrifice an extra road trip out west for them for the good of the league).

10 pm starts dont bother me either. Heck I go to 2/3rd to 3/4ths of home games, and dont get home from Nationwide until midnight anyhow. And I am up at 5:30 am to go to work.

I hate losing all the games with the Blues, Blackhawks and Predators. These are also easy travel destinations for me since I live 2 hours west of Nationwide. The closest for me is a 5 hour road trip to Pittsburgh. For me it is 3 hrs to Detroit, 4 hours to Chicago, 6 hours to St Louis, and 6 hours to Nashville. We might all be in the Eastern Time Zone, but travel for me as a fan is worst.

I'm in the minority but that's ok with me. I don't like the move. I would much rather be in the west with Nashville, St Louis and Chicago.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:35 PM
CBJfan4evr

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
I'm in the minority but I don't like the proposal at all.

I don't like the disparity of playoff chances. And it will be years until expansion.

Expansion is a terrible idea. The NHL doesnt need 15 more defensemen with Mick Commodores (2011-12) skill set being promoted into the league.

It appears that Detroit got a sweetheart deal in this. They are put in a conference with overall lesser opponents. And it makes no sense that a team several hours north of Columbus is in a conference with 2 Florida teams.

I really dont see any issues with being in a conference with teams in the central time zones. The Reds have been in a league with Chicago, St Louis and Milwaukee for years. 8 pm games dont bother me at all. A balanced schedule would minimize the 10 pm starts. But the powers that be (Boston, Philly, etc aint going to sacrifice an extra road trip out west for them for the good of the league).

10 pm starts dont bother me either. Heck I go to 2/3rd to 3/4ths of home games, and dont get home from Nationwide until midnight anyhow. And I am up at 5:30 am to go to work.

I hate losing all the games with the Blues, Blackhawks and Predators. These are also easy travel destinations for me since I live 2 hours west of Nationwide. The closest for me is a 5 hour road trip to Pittsburgh. For me it is 3 hrs to Detroit, 4 hours to Chicago, 6 hours to St Louis, and 6 hours to Nashville. We might all be in the Eastern Time Zone, but travel for me as a fan is worst.

I'm in the minority but that's ok with me. I don't like the move. I would much rather be in the west with Nashville, St Louis and Chicago.
I agree with you totally. Detroit got a great deal. We got stuck in a division with 4 cap teams. Our playoff chances will drop as we will face a more competitive schedule within this division.

CBJfan4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:36 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJfan4evr View Post
I agree with you totally. Detroit got a great deal. We got stuck in a division with 4 cap teams. Our playoff chances will drop as we will face a more competitive schedule within this division.
Doesn't matter, we'll only be there for a year or two anyway.

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:03 PM
CBJfan4evr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Doesn't matter, we'll only be there for a year or two anyway.
Yep till they bleed the fans dry, we leave because of the failures and the team moves to Quebec city

CBJfan4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:05 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Don't get to envolved with this.... Quebec City and Markham will be in the East....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:13 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Seattle will be the next expansion team...over Toronto 2 and QC

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJfan4evr View Post
From what I understand the 2 Eastern divisions were set-up to reunite old, long time rivalries. That was all there was to it. Nothing sinister about it. Detroit was going to be placed in the one where they had the most historical rivalries, leaving the CBJ to default into the other division.

I can tell you one thing, though, I will be road tripping to Carolina to watch the CBJ play the Canes every chance that I get.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:22 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

“@Aportzline: Confirmed today that #CBJ "fully support" the #NHL plan for realignment. Cause, like, duh, it would be huge for the franchise. #anewworld”

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:39 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Players don't like playoff imbalance. Believe easiest fix is to leave either CBJ or Det in west. PA hasn't completed full player rep review.

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote