HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs Will Have to Bid Against KHL for Leo Komarov

Old
05-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Man Bear Pig

vCash: 500
Leo isn't Russian. Why is this so hard to understand?

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 08:34 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

A lot of Russian players are rumoured to give them a lot to come back/over.

A report said Andrei Kostitsyn got an offer of 7 mill, but choose to re-sign with the habs for 3.25

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 08:49 PM
WildFinn*
Unity | We Are One

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post

Also, he isn't really Russian. Ethnically, yes he's of Russian background, but he was born in Estonia, grew up in Finland and plays hockey for the national Finnish team.
And actually his father is Karelian.
(A Finnish tribe, info for the rootless no names in NA).

He also served in the Finnish army and will shoot Russians if needed.
(No offense to our Russian friends intended)

Komarov rules.

WildFinn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 08:52 PM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
1. He's not Russian. There is no Russian factor. He played in the KHL and wants to play in the NHL.
2. He's a great asset to this team. Toronto's version of Steve Ott with less offence. Can drive guys wild with his persistence and constant physicality.

Personally, I'd pay up to 2mil MAX for the amount of work he does a game. He doesn't quit, solid defensively, provides a little offence (although it was his first season) and is capable of drawing penalties. While he may not light the lamp 20 times a season, he'll help the Leafs get on the power play and get them into positions where they can turn the momentum and get the win.

It'd be a shame to lose Komarov, and from previous interviews, doesn't seem too interested in going back to the KHL.

If he invested into the NHL long-term, I'd buy a jersey since I like him so much.

The Brewmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 08:58 PM
WildFinn*
Unity | We Are One

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brewmeister View Post
1. He's not Russian. There is no Russian factor. He played in the KHL and wants to play in the NHL.
2. He's a great asset to this team. Toronto's version of Steve Ott with less offence. Can drive guys wild with his persistence and constant physicality.

Personally, I'd pay up to 2mil MAX for the amount of work he does a game. He doesn't quit, solid defensively, provides a little offence (although it was his first season) and is capable of drawing penalties. While he may not light the lamp 20 times a season, he'll help the Leafs get on the power play and get them into positions where they can turn the momentum and get the win.

It'd be a shame to lose Komarov, and from previous interviews, doesn't seem too interested in going back to the KHL.

If he invested into the NHL long-term, I'd buy a jersey since I like him so much.
Nice that some see his value.

I would see him being long term invested to Toronto, he is that type of a guy so you should get the jersey if he stays.

WildFinn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 09:54 PM
TOGuy14

Komarov has stated before that his dream was to play in the NHL. He left money on the table in the KHL to play here this past season.

The Leafs have been good to him, and even let him go back to the KHL when there was the lockout, as he didn't have much interest playing in the AHL (despite tearing it up). I expect him to be back for a more than reasonable amount (1.5ish)

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:08 PM
DeputyMcLaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Please get into a bidding war for a 4th line pest. The leafs fans complaints about Leo being a 3.5 million dollar cap anchor in 2 years will be outstanding after the thousands of posts proclaiming him to be the best pest in hockey
At least the Leafs can spend a bit of cash

DeputyMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:09 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

I'll make a bet that he's in a Maple Leafs uni come next season

GordieHoweHatTrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:11 PM
smitty10

Bid against? Didn't Komarov say that he's looking into it in case the Leafs don't offer him a contract? I'm sure they'll settle around $1mil when all is said-and-done.

smitty10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:18 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
I loved Komarov last season but if he wants over 1.5 - 1.75 let him walk and give Tyler Biggs a shot.
This.

Komarov seemed quite solid in the few games I saw him but he is hardly worth a bidding war.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
You cannot give $2 million for a third/fourth liner. I love the guy, he quickly became an elite pest and fantastic checker, but there's no way, in a cap era, you can spend that kind of coin on a bottom 6 forward. He's still young and needs to earn his payday. If he really wants to play in Russia, then he will regardless. NHL teams simply won't match KHL offers and shouldn't.
We gave 3.5 to Armstrong, who was worse in every facet.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:38 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

I liked Komarov's game and he did bring a lot of energy along with getting under the skin of other players with his hiting and that's nice to have. However if he wants to much then what the Leafs are willing to give him, then I'm sure Nonis will let him leave for the KHL. Toronto can still re-sign Colton Orr or Frazer McLaren for their 4th line should Komarov not return.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:43 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
We gave 3.5 to Armstrong, who was worse in every facet.
Which is a good reason why Nonis won't overpay Komarov. Around $1mil is a fair price.

smitty10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:47 PM
Paris in Flames

Would hate to lose Komarov so I'm hoping it's just a negotiating tactic.

1.5 seems pretty fair to me but hey, we'll see.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:55 PM
glasses91

spend the money, wth not.

I bet he puts a bunch in the net next year.

glasses91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 11:42 PM
Badger Mayhew

It's looking like he was joking around:
http://theleafsnation.com/2013/5/21/...-russian-press

Badger Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 11:44 PM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Want him back! Very good third/fourth line pest.

05-21-2013, 11:53 PM
Alklha

He'll be back with the Leafs, I would guess around $5m over 3 years.

Also not sure why everyone is so sensitive about people saying he is Russian... considering his parents are Russian, he spoke Russian at home growing up, his family live in Russia, he has a Russian passport (which he must have renewed at least twice) etc etc. But yeah, because he was raised in Finland and plays for their national team I'm sure he doesn't consider himself at all Russian

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 11:58 PM
Lui One Hall

He's an RFA. The KHL card is the only leverage he's got and I guess this is just him and his agent making sure he gets as much money as possible from Toronto.

Lui One Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 12:03 AM
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz

nothing to see here, a 1 million dollar player trying to be a 2 million dollar player, he will resign for 3 years 1.5 per, he is a good cog for the pk and destroys other teams star players, and is solid defensively. His offense is virtually non existent, ive never seen some1 get as many breakways and yield nothing, but i mean the guy is solid 4th liner overall who can make space, he will get 3 years 1.5 per. book it

Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 01:38 AM
jiggy35

1.25-1.5 2-4 years is fair and reasonable (depends whether he wants money or job security more)

jiggy35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 02:38 AM
EucaLEAFtys

If Leo Komarov wants to return to the KHL where he canprobably get a better contract and play a bigger role, then I have absolutely no problem with him leaving. As far as I'm concerned, he is easily replaceable and at an inexpensive price.

No reason to get into a bidding war for a guy like him.

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 02:42 AM
N o o d l e s

I can see Komarov being a very, very effective player for you guys and what you are trying to build over there in Toronto. But the facts remain the facts: not only can you not afford to get into a bidding war with the KHL, especially with the cap going down, but it's not smart cap management to do so. Anything higher than the 1.5 mil. range and you HAVE to let him go. He CAN be replaceable.

N o o d l e s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 02:53 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by N O O D L E S View Post
I can see Komarov being a very, very effective player for you guys and what you are trying to build over there in Toronto. But the facts remain the facts: not only can you not afford to get into a bidding war with the KHL, especially with the cap going down, but it's not smart cap management to do so. Anything higher than the 1.5 mil. range and you HAVE to let him go. He CAN be replaceable.
Very true.
Quote:
Leo isn't Russian. Why is this so hard to understand?
What most posters are saying is that it really doesn't matter if he's Finnish or Russian at this point. He has ties to the KHL, speaks the language and his home country is nearby. He has as many incentives to go play in the KHL as any Russian. That's not to say he will.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 05:27 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
You cannot give $2 million for a third/fourth liner.
Pff, sure you can! Lots of GMs overpay for 3rd liners all the time. If a guy like Joel Ward can get 3 million, Komarov can have 2 and leave me feeling ok about it. I don't think a $2 million cap hit is going to be the difference from a team being in cap hell or not. Anything over 2 and I start to feel uncomfortable about it. My hopes would be between 1.5 and 2M

He may not have the output of a 3rd liner, but I think the other stuff he does during a game more than makes up for it.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote