HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ordering a stick online

Old
05-13-2013, 08:23 PM
ShootsWide

vCash: 500
Ordering a stick online

I'm considering ordering a stick online since I can never seem to find the flex or blade when I go into the stores. Anyone have experience with ordering them? I know sometimes those UPS workers aren't the most careful with packages. So my biggest fear is receiving my stick cracked or have so much pressure on it that it might break easier

ShootsWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:28 PM
OpenIceHit42

I order them in "bundles", usually from Hockeymonkey and I've never had a problem with getting my sticks via UPS.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:00 PM
AIREAYE

Have you asked the retailer if they could order it in for you? It could save you the hassle.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:44 PM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

5 sticks ordered, no issues.

OOOOIIIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:06 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootsWide View Post
I'm considering ordering a stick online since I can never seem to find the flex or blade when I go into the stores. Anyone have experience with ordering them? I know sometimes those UPS workers aren't the most careful with packages. So my biggest fear is receiving my stick cracked or have so much pressure on it that it might break easier
Over my short hockey career I bought about 7 sticks. 6 of them were ordered online during discounts, and 1 was purchased at Sportschek when I was without a stick.

Sorry AIREAYE I'm a bad person for not supporting my LHS.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:10 AM
Stanello

I've ordered a few in from Hockeymonkey and a couple other retailers. No issues so far.

Honestly, I think sticks take more of a beating during a normal game than they would from cross-country shipping in a box.

Stanello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:17 AM
jordanking87

ive ordered sticks from both hockeymonkey and totalhockey and both showed up just fine. The sticks and the box were in great condition so it makes me think they dont get tossed around much at all.

jordanking87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

There's insurance too. A HockeyMonkey order never showed up because our stoner UPS guy dropped it off at the wrong house. Took a week or two but I got my money back.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:23 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Over my short hockey career I bought about 7 sticks. 6 of them were ordered online during discounts, and 1 was purchased at Sportschek when I was without a stick.

Sorry AIREAYE I'm a bad person for not supporting my LHS.
LOL I'm in support of good business practise, not necessarily always the LHS. If, all said and done, the online store offers a better deal after one calculates all of the costs (hidden and otherwise), then they have won your business.

Many people default to online stores because they're so easily accessible and they market so well without even thinking about what it would take to buy from them. That is not smart business on the consumer's part. See the difference?

I'm privileged to work in a brick-and-mortar retailer now that will blow most any online cost for local customers out of the water, but if I worked in some smaller LHS in a distinctly shallow hockey market (in the US), I suspect I will be more biased for local shopping.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:57 AM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post

Many people default to online stores because they're so easily accessible and they market so well without even thinking about what it would take to buy from them. That is not smart business on the consumer's part. See the difference?
This is very true and most frustrating running a local LHS. I get people in that have bought stuff from online just as the default assuming better price and selection then they get in my store and realize I'm priced at or lower than the online places and if not, I'll match it.

We now have a Total Hockey and Hockey Giant down the street from us and I'm hearing people in the rink talking about shopping there. When I inquire about what they paid, they see it wasnt such a deal, they just assumed as such.

Its the hardest thing about fighting those places. Everyone knows about them and assume better pricing. For all those that come in my shop and realize they could have got it locally for the same price, I'm wondering how many people I'm not reaching who order online and never happen to know I'm around or come in the shop.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Sometimes the store pricing doesn't match online. Hockey Giant used to jack up their retail prices compared to online and wouldn't price match...until Total Hockey put up half a dozen stores around here.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:38 PM
mistrhanky

It is not even close in my area. A stick will run me $20 more than online, even on clearance. Most of the gear at my LHS is price inflated too. On top of that, they have about 1/3 of the selection of a big box retailer like Hockey Giant(which just opened in the area) and a Total Hockey opens this summer. If you are a goalie, forget about it completely... they carry nothing for goalies except sticks. About the only thing that might be comparable is skates. Often times, by the time you buy the skates, get them molded and sharpened, the costs will level out somewhat.

As to the OP -- I have purchased three sticks online and never had a problem with it.

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:22 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
I order them in "bundles", usually from Hockeymonkey and I've never had a problem with getting my sticks via UPS.
This, I've ordered about 90% of my sticks in my life from Hockey Monkey and never had a problem with UPS shipping them. I've never actually seen them handle the package since they never ring the bell and just leave it on the front porch, but I have never had an issue with damage.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:34 AM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrhanky View Post
It is not even close in my area. A stick will run me $20 more than online, even on clearance. Most of the gear at my LHS is price inflated too. On top of that, they have about 1/3 of the selection of a big box retailer like Hockey Giant(which just opened in the area) and a Total Hockey opens this summer. If you are a goalie, forget about it completely... they carry nothing for goalies except sticks. About the only thing that might be comparable is skates. Often times, by the time you buy the skates, get them molded and sharpened, the costs will level out somewhat.

As to the OP -- I have purchased three sticks online and never had a problem with it.
Where are you located?

Old
05-15-2013, 10:40 AM
mistrhanky

Northern Virginia, USA

Old
05-15-2013, 11:21 AM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrhanky View Post
Northern Virginia, USA
See, you're the exact kind of person I've spoken of in my previous post. My shop is in NoVa and I KNOW we have our prices set at or below Hockey Giant and Total Hockey on virtually everything and our closeout skates and sticks are 50% off when we clear them out (better than any online retailer).

While there is no way to compete with them on total stock, I do have a TON of inventory in stock and short of the most uncommon curves or fringe equipment, I should have it in stock. Of course, I dont carry 10 of everything, so there is always the times when I'm out of a specific size, but I get them in quickly and do our best to make sure that doesnt happen.

Goalie gear, on the other hand, I cant compete with and no small shop will as it requires a ton of extra money in inventory to cater to a very small percentage of the shopping population. That and the space to carry it all is unrealistic for anything other than a 10,000 square foot store.

But that was what my last post referred to. The assumption that the LHS is going to be overpriced or not have it. I'm pretty sure you havent really been to my shop if you feel the pricing is off because I know for a fact ours isnt and I know our selection is very good. Many just assume that a superstore is the right answer.

I will hesitate to say in public our shop as not to violate any rules here, but I suggest you look a little closer at some of the NoVA stores and see what you find.

And for those in other places, I suggest the same thing, make sure you really check out all the local options and talk to them, ask them if they'll match a price or how long it will take to get it for you. Many can have it just as quickly as ordering online and you'll get to deal with someone face to face.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:56 AM
AIREAYE

^
+1000000

Old
05-15-2013, 11:59 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
This, I've ordered about 90% of my sticks in my life from Hockey Monkey and never had a problem with UPS shipping them. I've never actually seen them handle the package since they never ring the bell and just leave it on the front porch, but I have never had an issue with damage.
When they just leave it pisses me off. It's not UPS, but whomever does it annoys the **** out of me because I live in an apartment building.

The more concerning part is if you order from out of country how much the duty fee will be.

That **** can get up pretty fast.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:07 PM
mistrhanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
See, you're the exact kind of person I've spoken of in my previous post. My shop is in NoVa and I KNOW we have our prices set at or below Hockey Giant and Total Hockey on virtually everything and our closeout skates and sticks are 50% off when we clear them out (better than any online retailer).

While there is no way to compete with them on total stock, I do have a TON of inventory in stock and short of the most uncommon curves or fringe equipment, I should have it in stock. Of course, I dont carry 10 of everything, so there is always the times when I'm out of a specific size, but I get them in quickly and do our best to make sure that doesnt happen.

Goalie gear, on the other hand, I cant compete with and no small shop will as it requires a ton of extra money in inventory to cater to a very small percentage of the shopping population. That and the space to carry it all is unrealistic for anything other than a 10,000 square foot store.

But that was what my last post referred to. The assumption that the LHS is going to be overpriced or not have it. I'm pretty sure you havent really been to my shop if you feel the pricing is off because I know for a fact ours isnt and I know our selection is very good. Many just assume that a superstore is the right answer.

I will hesitate to say in public our shop as not to violate any rules here, but I suggest you look a little closer at some of the NoVA stores and see what you find.

And for those in other places, I suggest the same thing, make sure you really check out all the local options and talk to them, ask them if they'll match a price or how long it will take to get it for you. Many can have it just as quickly as ordering online and you'll get to deal with someone face to face.
There is no assumption in play here. I am in my LHS all the time. It is a pro-shop to be specific. I don't have to look too hard to understand the difference between $120 for the same stick I can order for $90. I also was in the market for some new shoulder gear. Our shop carries one brand in adult -- Bauer. That is it. HG carries Bauer, Warrior, Easton, Reebok/CCM. Shoulder gear is definitely a try on sort of product. No selection = no sale. This area is not exactly littered with hockey supplies. If I could find a convenient local place to get it at the same price or better, why would I make myself wait for shipping? I would be happy to discuss it with you over PM to avoid any rules.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:40 PM
jsykes

Sorry man, I wasnt trying to lay into you or anything, I was just emphasizing my above point, that people are very aware of the big guys, but not always the other places out there. Its the battle I'm constantly fighting as many LHS are.

But I do understand that you want to try different things and if the local is giving you that option, you dont always have another, or at very least, may not be aware of another.

Its funny that, unfortunately, you happened to come here and prove a point I was making about it being frustrating trying to get customers to know we're here and meet online pricing, then you show up as one of those customers that didnt realize I was here and doing that. LOL

Anyway, no way an LHS will ever truly compete with the big boys, we just cant reach enough people like they can. We just hope to get as many as we can and hope they spread the word.

I didnt intend this to become a sales pitch. I hope everyone finds a shop that works for them and they're happy with. I just hope many can find that with an LHS as they are what truly keep the industry moving and hopefully they dont all go away as the big guys keep moving in on them.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:54 PM
mistrhanky

You make some good points. My closest shop is a proshop at my regular rink and they have that "stadium concession price" strategy. I admit, it was my assumption that all pro shops would take that angle. I do prefer to support local businesses if the pricing is close so I will certainly include your place when I shop around. It is good to finally have choices though:-)

Old
05-16-2013, 10:21 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
LOL I'm in support of good business practise, not necessarily always the LHS. If, all said and done, the online store offers a better deal after one calculates all of the costs (hidden and otherwise), then they have won your business.

I'm privileged to work in a brick-and-mortar retailer now that will blow most any online cost for local customers out of the water, but if I worked in some smaller LHS in a distinctly shallow hockey market (in the US), I suspect I will be more biased for local shopping.
Haha I know, just playing

Thing is though, I do buy a lot of stuff from my LHS, aside from sticks. Usually it's a lot easier to find a steal of a deal on sticks, but harder for everything else.

Most postings on Craigslist and eBay are skates (which I would never ever buy online), or sticks. Rarely do I find bargain buys for pads.

They do sell quite a bit of gloves online, but again, would like to try them out in person before buying. Although I must admit sneaking into Sportschek and trying them out before placing an order for a pair on eBay. I actually avoided all eye contact with the staff there that day to avoid them guilting me into buying on the spot.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 11:58 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
No offense guys, but you two need to do a better job of getting the word out. I've been playing hockey in the DC area for years now, and I have yet to find a decent shop that can match online prices and selection.

Right now my current mission is to find a shop that sells inline skates, but I'd settle for a place with a decent selection of clearance sticks (INT, please).

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:25 AM
Lola
Future Panthers

We're in Florida, so our options for LHS is very, very limited. We order 99% of our gear online (hockeymonkey or hockeygiant mostly). I have ordered several sticks for my boys and have never had an issue with them arriving cracked or broken.

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:28 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Shake it Off

vCash: 100
My newest stick is one I ordered from hockey giant. It came in a tall box and was completely unharmed.