HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Ratings II: More 2013 NHL TV Ratings

Old
06-14-2013, 03:42 PM
XLJ

vCash: 500
Too bad Game 2 is not on NBC. It would of been nice to air the game right after the US open. NBC could continue to build off a great game 1 rating. The game 2 ratings will drop. For the finals I would love to see NBC broadcast all the games like ABC does for the NBA.

New York getting a 3.3 was interesting. I guess the original 6 matchup, plus Boston being a big rival appealed to fans in NYC.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Ooooh, about a half goal drop. Man, this product must suck!
Half a goal? It's down almost 0.75 of a goal per game from 2006, and down almost 1.25 goals per game from the historical average of 6.6. Goal scoring is also been declining for 4 years in a row. We are entering dead puck era #2. There's really no question about it.

Quote:
Who cares about goal averages?
Fans do. They demonstrated that loud and clear during the last dead puck era.

Quote:
It was the lack of chances that made dead puck hockey boring. The game is open and great right now.
You can't have increased "scoring chances" while actual "scoring" continues to drop. It's statistically impossible. As scoring continues to decrease, so do scoring chances.

Tough Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:02 PM
DocBrown
Lost bet to habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:

Who cares about goal averages? It was the lack of chances that made dead puck hockey boring. The game is open and great right now.
I'm not sure this is the thread for this, but I disagree completely with you. The amount of obstruction, clutching and grabbing when entering the zone is back to off the charts. They need to start calling it.

Chicago is one of the few, if not the only team outside of Pittsburgh that doesn't dump and chase when entering the zone. Additionally, the majority of goals now a days are absolute garbage goals. Get infront of the net, shoot from the point and hope it bounces in. Horrible. Let players skate, there's no reason to not call holding and obstruction every time until they stop doing it.

Anyways, sorry for the thread derailment.

DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:27 PM
masa2009

I think low ratings at the time of the dead puck had to do with ESPN downgrading their NHL programming, the move away from Fox, a few years without true superstars, and several finals featuring newer markets coupled with a Canadian team giving a general aura of negativity. It was a combinations of these things, probably as much as the dead puck itself.

Last edited by masa2009: 06-14-2013 at 07:08 PM.
masa2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:08 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLJ View Post
Too bad Game 2 is not on NBC. It would of been nice to air the game right after the US open. NBC could continue to build off a great game 1 rating. The game 2 ratings will drop. For the finals I would love to see NBC broadcast all the games like ABC does for the NBA.

New York getting a 3.3 was interesting. I guess the original 6 matchup, plus Boston being a big rival appealed to fans in NYC.
Just remember that 2 of the 3 fan bases in the NJ/NY area (remember that the #'s aren't just for the city, but the 22 million person area around the city) couldn't care less that these teams happened to have been around at the formation of the league.. In fact I know a lot of general sports fans in the area who couldn't care less about Original 6.. I'll never get why hockey is the only sport where that matters.. I'm guessing its more that the league markets it a lot than people actually caring on their own, since they don't for other sports

But maybe I'm just different being a Devils fan.. I don't understand why, if you're just a general hockey/sports fan, you would care about the teams in the finals as a determining factor for if you will watch.. Why should Florida vs Phoenix in the finals be any different to most people than Chicago vs Boston? I mean, those same players in a different uniform from a "less sexy" market really matters to people? I get that Boston and Chicago have huge fan bases and their fans are more likely to watch, but why would Joe Schmo in Missouri be more interested I'm watching Boston than Phoenix? Like I said, those same players in different uniform from different cities really changes the game enough to make the NHL more exciting when it's a sexier market?

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:08 PM
frivolousz21

Quote:

Who cares about goal averages? It was the lack of chances that made dead puck hockey boring. The game is open and great right now.
No it's not.

You are totally off base.

It may not be as bad as the atrocious 2002-2004 period. But it's going back. By Mid season it's almost there.

Maybe watching a powerhouse team is clouding you're judgement.

frivolousz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
I'll never get why hockey is the only sport where that matters.. I'm guessing its more that the league markets it a lot than people actually caring on their own, since they don't for other sports
Wut? It matters in all sports.

Teams with tradition are a much bigger deal than teams without tradition. Cubs-Yankees would obliterate Diamondbacks-Rays among fans outside of those markets. A team with 100 years of tradition will have a heck of a lot more fans than some random expansion team.

Old
06-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Paybak

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolousz21 View Post
No it's not.

You are totally off base.

It may not be as bad as the atrocious 2002-2004 period. But it's going back. By Mid season it's almost there.

we're getting a bit off topic here but you are wrong 100%. The reason scoring is down is because of the parity in the league. During the dead puck era, only a few teams who had the money were competitive. Sometimes a Florida team or Carolina team would outplay themselves, otherwise the top teams were consistent. Right now you have amazing parity in the NHL where there isnt much to separate the teams from each other, and with added strength and conditioning of players these days the defensive part of the game has improved immensely. The refs have also to give credit to your point allowed more clutching, but thats in the playoffs. We are not going back to 2002-2004, its a whole new ball game now.

Paybak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 11:27 AM
Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paybak View Post
we're getting a bit off topic here but you are wrong 100%. The reason scoring is down is because of the parity in the league.
Nope.

Old
06-16-2013, 11:37 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolousz21 View Post
Not really...I have Center Ice. For every Hawks game I watched 2 other games this year.

Anyway, 2.2 last night. About half of what game 1 got on NBC which was a 4.3.

Chicago Fire did a 2.5 for NBC. I'm sure the game would've beaten it.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:13 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Pretty solid given it was a Saturday night game on cable, Mondays game should do well.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Fenway

vCash: 433
NBCSportsPR
@NBCSportsPR
Local ratings for last night's Stanley Cup Final on NBC Sports Network: Boston 22.5, Chicago 15.6. Final nationals avail tomorrow.

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:09 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

stevelepore 9:03am via Web Top non-BOS/CHI markets for Game 2: Providence, Buffalo, Milwaukee, Las Vegas, Ft. Myers, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Philly, San Diego, Hartford.

stevelepore 9:05am via Web
Seattle finished 54th out of the Top 56 markets in overnight ratings for Game 2. Only Memphis and Birmingham had lower ratings.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:35 PM
showstopper99

Wow! Big drop for Chicago! and a bit for Boston. Didn't think Chicago would drop off 10.0.....Be interesting to see the final numbers tomorrow. Was the reason NBCSN? Usually there is a drop off after game 1 and it's the weekend understandably.

showstopper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:36 PM
showstopper99

Quote:
Not really...I have Center Ice. For every Hawks game I watched 2 other games this year.

Anyway, 2.2 last night. About half of what game 1 got on NBC which was a 4.3.

Chicago Fire did a 2.5 for NBC. I'm sure the game would've beaten it.

So you're saying it was a 2.2 last night? Reference?

showstopper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:23 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
stevelepore 9:05am via Web
Seattle finished 54th out of the Top 56 markets in overnight ratings for Game 2. Only Memphis and Birmingham had lower ratings.
Not too surprising, since most fans would watch it on the equally available CBC feed - which is why KING moved it to KONG and went with their local news instead.

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Not too surprising, since most fans would watch it on the equally available CBC feed - which is why KING moved it to KONG and went with their local news instead.
Context is a beautiful thing.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 03:25 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by showstopper99 View Post
Wow! Big drop for Chicago! and a bit for Boston. Didn't think Chicago would drop off 10.0.....Be interesting to see the final numbers tomorrow. Was the reason NBCSN? Usually there is a drop off after game 1 and it's the weekend understandably.
the amount of fans in both cities that went out to bars to watch this game is gigantic. Every bar was packed and had the game on being a Saturday night..take these ratings with a grain of salt as the amount of people that watched game 2 vs game 1 is almost double in Boston and Chicago...just my opinion but the difference I saw between game 1 and game 2 at bars/restaurants was insane.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Alesle

Quote:
Originally Posted by showstopper99 View Post
So you're saying it was a 2.2 last night? Reference?
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=795

Alesle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 06:31 PM
tank44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
game 2 was on nbcsn. And I believe more people get cbc than nbcsn in Seattle since cbc part of Comcast's basic tier package and nbcsn is in a higher tier.

tank44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 08:49 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

1.6 for FOX Saturday Baseball. Hockey wins, but easily could've doubled it on NBC.

Old
06-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
So how long is it written in the contract that 2 games have to be on NBCSN?

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
1.6 for FOX Saturday Baseball. Hockey wins, but easily could've doubled it on NBC.
What's the highest NBCSN ratings record?

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 09:41 PM
ebox99

Quote:
I think people are looking at ratings on NBC and NBCSN the wrong way.

Free Networks get $$$ from advertisers but cable networks get $$$ from advertisers and charging cable fees.

The growth for TV contract money is with cable networks like NBCSN.

The more they increase their TV distribution and TV ratings the morning they can pay leagues.

So, having these 2 finals games will help build audience in the long term for NBCSN. This will help the network to grow and charge more for their station distribution and from advertisers.

People shouldn't complain about NBCSN cause they helped grow the league already and they will continue to do so.

Just enjoy the final series cause if people don't watch it, its' their lost.

ebox99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 10:19 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebox99 View Post
I think people are looking at ratings on NBC and NBCSN the wrong way.

Free Networks get $$$ from advertisers but cable networks get $$$ from advertisers and charging cable fees.

The growth for TV contract money is with cable networks like NBCSN.

The more they increase their TV distribution and TV ratings the morning they can pay leagues.

So, having these 2 finals games will help build audience in the long term for NBCSN. This will help the network to grow and charge more for their station distribution and from advertisers.

People shouldn't complain about NBCSN cause they helped grow the league already and they will continue to do so.

Just enjoy the final series cause if people don't watch it, its' their lost.
Yeah, I agree 100%. NBC knows they could've went with the short term gain of a little extra ad revenue from an additional 2 rating points. But the big picture is certainly more important.