HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Ratings II: More 2013 NHL TV Ratings

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-14-2013, 03:42 PM
  #626
XLJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,373
vCash: 500
Too bad Game 2 is not on NBC. It would of been nice to air the game right after the US open. NBC could continue to build off a great game 1 rating. The game 2 ratings will drop. For the finals I would love to see NBC broadcast all the games like ABC does for the NBA.

New York getting a 3.3 was interesting. I guess the original 6 matchup, plus Boston being a big rival appealed to fans in NYC.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 04:07 PM
  #627
Tough Guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Ooooh, about a half goal drop. Man, this product must suck!
Half a goal? It's down almost 0.75 of a goal per game from 2006, and down almost 1.25 goals per game from the historical average of 6.6. Goal scoring is also been declining for 4 years in a row. We are entering dead puck era #2. There's really no question about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Who cares about goal averages?
Fans do. They demonstrated that loud and clear during the last dead puck era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
It was the lack of chances that made dead puck hockey boring. The game is open and great right now.
You can't have increased "scoring chances" while actual "scoring" continues to drop. It's statistically impossible. As scoring continues to decrease, so do scoring chances.

Tough Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:02 PM
  #628
DocBrown
Lost bet to habsawce
 
DocBrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,653
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Ooooh, about a half goal drop. Man, this product must suck!


Who cares about goal averages? It was the lack of chances that made dead puck hockey boring. The game is open and great right now.
I'm not sure this is the thread for this, but I disagree completely with you. The amount of obstruction, clutching and grabbing when entering the zone is back to off the charts. They need to start calling it.

Chicago is one of the few, if not the only team outside of Pittsburgh that doesn't dump and chase when entering the zone. Additionally, the majority of goals now a days are absolute garbage goals. Get infront of the net, shoot from the point and hope it bounces in. Horrible. Let players skate, there's no reason to not call holding and obstruction every time until they stop doing it.

Anyways, sorry for the thread derailment.

DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:27 PM
  #629
masa2009
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 139
vCash: 500
I think low ratings at the time of the dead puck had to do with ESPN downgrading their NHL programming, the move away from Fox, a few years without true superstars, and several finals featuring newer markets coupled with a Canadian team giving a general aura of negativity. It was a combinations of these things, probably as much as the dead puck itself.


Last edited by masa2009: 06-14-2013 at 07:08 PM.
masa2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:08 PM
  #630
Colin226
NJ Devils STH
 
Colin226's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Flemington, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLJ View Post
Too bad Game 2 is not on NBC. It would of been nice to air the game right after the US open. NBC could continue to build off a great game 1 rating. The game 2 ratings will drop. For the finals I would love to see NBC broadcast all the games like ABC does for the NBA.

New York getting a 3.3 was interesting. I guess the original 6 matchup, plus Boston being a big rival appealed to fans in NYC.
Just remember that 2 of the 3 fan bases in the NJ/NY area (remember that the #'s aren't just for the city, but the 22 million person area around the city) couldn't care less that these teams happened to have been around at the formation of the league.. In fact I know a lot of general sports fans in the area who couldn't care less about Original 6.. I'll never get why hockey is the only sport where that matters.. I'm guessing its more that the league markets it a lot than people actually caring on their own, since they don't for other sports

But maybe I'm just different being a Devils fan.. I don't understand why, if you're just a general hockey/sports fan, you would care about the teams in the finals as a determining factor for if you will watch.. Why should Florida vs Phoenix in the finals be any different to most people than Chicago vs Boston? I mean, those same players in a different uniform from a "less sexy" market really matters to people? I get that Boston and Chicago have huge fan bases and their fans are more likely to watch, but why would Joe Schmo in Missouri be more interested I'm watching Boston than Phoenix? Like I said, those same players in different uniform from different cities really changes the game enough to make the NHL more exciting when it's a sexier market?

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:08 PM
  #631
frivolousz21
Registered User
 
frivolousz21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St. Louis, Mo
Country: United States
Posts: 2,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Ooooh, about a half goal drop. Man, this product must suck!


Who cares about goal averages? It was the lack of chances that made dead puck hockey boring. The game is open and great right now.
No it's not.

You are totally off base.

It may not be as bad as the atrocious 2002-2004 period. But it's going back. By Mid season it's almost there.

Maybe watching a powerhouse team is clouding you're judgement.

frivolousz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:13 PM
  #632
Tough Guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
I'll never get why hockey is the only sport where that matters.. I'm guessing its more that the league markets it a lot than people actually caring on their own, since they don't for other sports
Wut? It matters in all sports.

Teams with tradition are a much bigger deal than teams without tradition. Cubs-Yankees would obliterate Diamondbacks-Rays among fans outside of those markets. A team with 100 years of tradition will have a heck of a lot more fans than some random expansion team.

Tough Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 10:46 AM
  #633
Paybak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolousz21 View Post
No it's not.

You are totally off base.

It may not be as bad as the atrocious 2002-2004 period. But it's going back. By Mid season it's almost there.

Maybe watching a powerhouse team is clouding you're judgement.
we're getting a bit off topic here but you are wrong 100%. The reason scoring is down is because of the parity in the league. During the dead puck era, only a few teams who had the money were competitive. Sometimes a Florida team or Carolina team would outplay themselves, otherwise the top teams were consistent. Right now you have amazing parity in the NHL where there isnt much to separate the teams from each other, and with added strength and conditioning of players these days the defensive part of the game has improved immensely. The refs have also to give credit to your point allowed more clutching, but thats in the playoffs. We are not going back to 2002-2004, its a whole new ball game now.

Paybak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 11:27 AM
  #634
Tough Guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paybak View Post
we're getting a bit off topic here but you are wrong 100%. The reason scoring is down is because of the parity in the league.
Nope.

Tough Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 11:37 AM
  #635
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 21,153
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolousz21 View Post
Maybe watching a powerhouse team is clouding you're judgement.
Not really...I have Center Ice. For every Hawks game I watched 2 other games this year.


Anyway, 2.2 last night. About half of what game 1 got on NBC which was a 4.3.

Chicago Fire did a 2.5 for NBC. I'm sure the game would've beaten it.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:13 PM
  #636
46zone
Guttersnipe
 
46zone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,932
vCash: 500
Pretty solid given it was a Saturday night game on cable, Mondays game should do well.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:32 PM
  #637
Fenway
Moderator
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cambridge, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,945
vCash: 433
NBCSportsPR
@NBCSportsPR
Local ratings for last night's Stanley Cup Final on NBC Sports Network: Boston 22.5, Chicago 15.6. Final nationals avail tomorrow.

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:09 PM
  #638
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 59,160
vCash: 500
stevelepore 9:03am via Web Top non-BOS/CHI markets for Game 2: Providence, Buffalo, Milwaukee, Las Vegas, Ft. Myers, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Philly, San Diego, Hartford.


stevelepore 9:05am via Web
Seattle finished 54th out of the Top 56 markets in overnight ratings for Game 2. Only Memphis and Birmingham had lower ratings.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:35 PM
  #639
showstopper99
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 184
vCash: 500
Wow! Big drop for Chicago! and a bit for Boston. Didn't think Chicago would drop off 10.0.....Be interesting to see the final numbers tomorrow. Was the reason NBCSN? Usually there is a drop off after game 1 and it's the weekend understandably.

showstopper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:36 PM
  #640
showstopper99
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Not really...I have Center Ice. For every Hawks game I watched 2 other games this year.


Anyway, 2.2 last night. About half of what game 1 got on NBC which was a 4.3.

Chicago Fire did a 2.5 for NBC. I'm sure the game would've beaten it.


So you're saying it was a 2.2 last night? Reference?

showstopper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:23 PM
  #641
kdb209
Global Moderator
 
kdb209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 13,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
stevelepore 9:05am via Web
Seattle finished 54th out of the Top 56 markets in overnight ratings for Game 2. Only Memphis and Birmingham had lower ratings.
Not too surprising, since most fans would watch it on the equally available CBC feed - which is why KING moved it to KONG and went with their local news instead.

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:58 PM
  #642
Ernie
Registered User
 
Ernie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Not too surprising, since most fans would watch it on the equally available CBC feed - which is why KING moved it to KONG and went with their local news instead.
Context is a beautiful thing.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 03:25 PM
  #643
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 11,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by showstopper99 View Post
Wow! Big drop for Chicago! and a bit for Boston. Didn't think Chicago would drop off 10.0.....Be interesting to see the final numbers tomorrow. Was the reason NBCSN? Usually there is a drop off after game 1 and it's the weekend understandably.
the amount of fans in both cities that went out to bars to watch this game is gigantic. Every bar was packed and had the game on being a Saturday night..take these ratings with a grain of salt as the amount of people that watched game 2 vs game 1 is almost double in Boston and Chicago...just my opinion but the difference I saw between game 1 and game 2 at bars/restaurants was insane.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 04:25 PM
  #644
Alesle
Registered User
 
Alesle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oslo, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by showstopper99 View Post
So you're saying it was a 2.2 last night? Reference?
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=795

Alesle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 06:31 PM
  #645
tank44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: Canada
Posts: 191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Not too surprising, since most fans would watch it on the equally available CBC feed - which is why KING moved it to KONG and went with their local news instead.
game 2 was on nbcsn. And I believe more people get cbc than nbcsn in Seattle since cbc part of Comcast's basic tier package and nbcsn is in a higher tier.

tank44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 08:49 PM
  #646
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 21,153
vCash: 50
1.6 for FOX Saturday Baseball. Hockey wins, but easily could've doubled it on NBC.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 09:06 PM
  #647
Morris Wanchuk
.......
 
Morris Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: War Memorial Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 15,124
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
So how long is it written in the contract that 2 games have to be on NBCSN?

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 09:40 PM
  #648
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
1.6 for FOX Saturday Baseball. Hockey wins, but easily could've doubled it on NBC.
What's the highest NBCSN ratings record?

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 09:41 PM
  #649
ebox99
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
1.6 for FOX Saturday Baseball. Hockey wins, but easily could've doubled it on NBC.
I think people are looking at ratings on NBC and NBCSN the wrong way.

Free Networks get $$$ from advertisers but cable networks get $$$ from advertisers and charging cable fees.

The growth for TV contract money is with cable networks like NBCSN.

The more they increase their TV distribution and TV ratings the morning they can pay leagues.

So, having these 2 finals games will help build audience in the long term for NBCSN. This will help the network to grow and charge more for their station distribution and from advertisers.

People shouldn't complain about NBCSN cause they helped grow the league already and they will continue to do so.

Just enjoy the final series cause if people don't watch it, its' their lost.

ebox99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 10:19 PM
  #650
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 21,153
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebox99 View Post
I think people are looking at ratings on NBC and NBCSN the wrong way.

Free Networks get $$$ from advertisers but cable networks get $$$ from advertisers and charging cable fees.

The growth for TV contract money is with cable networks like NBCSN.

The more they increase their TV distribution and TV ratings the morning they can pay leagues.

So, having these 2 finals games will help build audience in the long term for NBCSN. This will help the network to grow and charge more for their station distribution and from advertisers.

People shouldn't complain about NBCSN cause they helped grow the league already and they will continue to do so.

Just enjoy the final series cause if people don't watch it, its' their lost.
Yeah, I agree 100%. NBC knows they could've went with the short term gain of a little extra ad revenue from an additional 2 rating points. But the big picture is certainly more important.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.