HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Memorial Cup Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Allen Degenerate
Rookie User

vCash: 50
I'm glad I'm not the one that has to make the decision between Mac and Seth.

Old
05-24-2013, 10:29 PM
klozge
Avs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy View Post
Jones is making an awful lot of mistakes.
Wasn't the case in the first two periods. In the third, though.... terrible. It's weird.

Old
05-24-2013, 10:30 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

I wonder what it's like to play hockey as a teenager and literally have thousands of people watch you and look for every possible little mistake you might make.

Old
05-24-2013, 10:31 PM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 0
I'm not sure I'm a fan of Jones playing with small margins when the team is up 2-1 in the third. Better to play a simple and safe game.

Old
05-24-2013, 10:46 PM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

I can understand why Pens thought they could trade away Joe Morrow. Pouliot, Harrington and Maatta look like good players.

Last edited by Freudian: 05-24-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old
05-24-2013, 10:46 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Jones vs MacKinnon in the final.

Old
05-24-2013, 10:48 PM
Allen Degenerate
Rookie User

vCash: 50
Jones looked so passive and slow in that third period. Hopefully he has a better game in the final.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I can understand why Pens thought they could trade away Joe Morrow. Pouliot, Harrington and Maatta look like good.
Pouliot, in particular, was everywhere.

Old
05-24-2013, 10:48 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Jones vs MacKinnon in the final.
It is what we all wanted. I just hope Sportsnet replays the game because I will not be able to see it live.

Old
05-24-2013, 11:00 PM
klozge
Avs

Whatever it was what spooked in Jones' head in the third period he better gets rid of it until Sunday. I liked him in the 1st and especially in the 2nd period. Should be a fun game on Sunday.

Old
05-24-2013, 11:05 PM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

Jones and Portland as a team struggled when their first pass got taken away. They got pinned in their own zone at times too.

Tough game. Hopefully the final will be more entertaining.

Old
05-24-2013, 11:16 PM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

I only got to watch the last 8 minutes of the game. Didn't think Jones looked that bad, just didn't stand out all that much. Caruth actually looked like a goaltender too. London had some chances at the end there.

Awesome, Nate/Drouin vs Jones in the finals. Has the 1-2-3 prospects ever played for the memorial cup before? I can't remember any.

Old
05-24-2013, 11:18 PM
tucker3434

As much as I want to love jones, he doesn't blow me away. I guess I was expecting dominance and I didn't see it. I really hope he lives up to his potential.

Old
05-24-2013, 11:39 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

This place is gonna be unbearable if Mac has a good game...no matter what SJ does.

Old
05-24-2013, 11:57 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
This place is gonna be unbearable if Mac has a good game...no matter what SJ does.
The MacKinnon fans are not trying to be unbearable. Like another poster said, when the Avs won the 1st overall pick and we suggested MacKinnon, we had our hats handed to us. We were told we didn't know what we were talking about and that Jones was the 2nd coming. We knew he wasn't and now it is hard not to chortle when he looks ordinary or just above average - and tonight, as he had for most of the series, he did.

No one should take it personally because at the end of the day, I am just a dummy from Canada who could easily be wrong and Jones could be the next Bobby Orr.

Anyway, the Avs enjoy the benefit of controlling their own destiny and being able to choose anyone they want. That's pretty sweet! Maybe they will want more of a sure thing and choose Mr. MacKinnon.

Last edited by OttawaRoughRiderFan: 05-25-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old
05-25-2013, 12:21 AM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

(* Forgive the OT. *)

To all the Canadian posters...

Anyone notice the obscene ending to the Boston Pizza commercial (the one they show over and over again during hockey) for the Pizza Burger?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM0D1l28fd0

The caveman abandons his 2 young kids and runs away from the Mammoth - 55 seconds. He sacrifices his kids!!!
Yikes! Father of the Year and a good way to sell a family restaurant...

Old
05-25-2013, 12:23 AM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
lol like 75% of this forum is in favor for Jones. There's like 7-8 posters who are pushing for Mackinnon hard and I've seen half of them including myself say Jones is a great prospect and it's about wanting Mackinnon, not disliking Jones.

I just don't understand why people are allowed to push for Jones, pump his tires and all that but get all fussy when people do the exact same thing with Mackinnon. The Avs poll was like 110 - 20 for Jones

Old
05-25-2013, 12:29 AM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
The MacKinnon fans are not trying to be unbearable. Like another poster said, when the Avs won the 1st overall pick and we suggested MacKinnon, we had our hats handed to us. We were told we didn't know what we were talking about and that Jones was the 2nd coming. We knew he wasn't and now it is hard not to chortle when he looks ordinary or just above average - and tonight, as he had for most of the series, he did.

No one should take it personally because at the end of the day, I am just a dummy from Canada who could easily be wrong and Jones could be the next Bobby Orr.

Anyway, the Avs enjoy the benefit of controlling their own destiny and being able to choose anyone they want. That's pretty sweet! Maybe they will want more of a sure thing and choose Mr. MacKinnon.
Teams don't draft who is the most impressive 17/18 year old, but who will be the best player in his prime. You on the other hand only cheer for what they are when they are 17/18 years old. In that perspective, a missed pass here and being slightly out of position there doesn't amount to all that much.

What's annoying is that you're not even discussing MacKinnon. You're just anti-Jones to prove how pro-MacKinnon you are. You're like a belieber of hockey.

Last edited by Freudian: 05-25-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old
05-25-2013, 12:39 AM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

Quote:
Teams don't draft who is the most impressive 17/18 year old, but who will be the best player in his prime.
Show me a guy who went 1st overall who wasn't extremely impressive as a 17/18 year old tho. The guy whom they project alot of the time to be the best player in his prime just happens to be a guy who's lit it up in the minors. Maybe why defesnemen don't get drafted 1st overall alot, because rarely are they more impressive then the forwards.

Just because Mackinnon is more impressive right now, doesn't mean he can't be down the line as well. Seth Jones has been just as impressive, hell he's the number 1 ranked prospect for a reason. Most people probably believe he has been the most impressive prospect as a 18 year old, more so than Mac.

Old
05-25-2013, 12:45 AM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewHope View Post
Show me a guy who went 1st overall who wasn't extremely impressive as a 17/18 year old tho. The guy whom they project alot of the time to be the best player in his prime just happens to be a guy who's lit it up in the minors. Maybe why defesnemen don't get drafted 1st overall alot, because rarely are they more impressive then the forwards.

Just because Mackinnon is more impressive right now, doesn't mean he can't be down the line as well. Seth Jones has been just as impressive, hell he's the number 1 ranked prospect for a reason. Most people probably believe he has been the most impressive prospect as a 18 year old, more so than Mac.
Of course both of these guys are impressive right now. They are world class talents.

But who is the best right now isn't the main criteria for who Avs will pick. It's who projects to be the best when they are 25. It's quite possible MacKinnon will be the better of them when they are 25 and it's possible it's Jones. A few games in this Memorial Cup won't tell us this.

Old
05-25-2013, 12:51 AM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

Quote:
Of course both of these guys are impressive right now. They are world class talents.

But who is the best right now isn't the main criteria for who Avs will pick. It's who projects to be the best when they are 25. It's quite possible MacKinnon will be the better of them when they are 25 and it's possible it's Jones. A few games in this Memorial Cup won't tell us this.
I agree for the most part. I think some of the tools they show RIGHT now plays into that tho. I think Jones showing his IQ and that crisp passing is what is going to help project him to be better, Mackinnon showing his blazing speed and shot could do the same and so on. Those are the things that could make one of them better than the other right now, and also make them better at 25.

I also don't think it's all projections 100% of the time. I think the GM saw Landeskog and was like this kid will play great from day 1. He's got great intangibles, good strength, plays both ways etc. and made the pick. Where as other picks you can deff tell teams put more into what a player could be 5 years from now, rather than what they are right now.

Old
05-25-2013, 01:31 AM
chet1926

I think the thing that bugs me about the Seth Jones supporters is the fact that most of them won't even listen to valid arguments as to why MacKinnon is as good or even possibly better than Jones. They just have blinders on because they are so desperate to draft a dman because its a need and center is not a need.

Honestly I had seen Jones probably 20 times this year and Mac/Drouin maybe 10 times but the more I watch Mac the more I believe he is the better of the 2 between him and Jones. The way I view it is:

1. MacKinnon
2a Jones
2b Nichushkin
4. Barkov
5. Drouin
6. Lindholm
7. Monahan
8. Nurse

I'm just not sure you pass on the number 1 guy to take the number 2 guy just to fit your need. And if you really want my honest opinion and you are purely rating the guys based off talent I think Nichushkin is ahead of Jones as well but Russian factor plays in so I put him as 2b. The more I watch Jones the more I feel that he probably ends up being a solid dman, but not I'm sold that he is a sure fire #1 in the future like so many people are making him out to be. He just doesn't seem that overly dominant considering how physically developed he is already.

Old
05-25-2013, 01:50 AM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
I think the thing that bugs me about the Seth Jones supporters is the fact that most of them won't even listen to valid arguments as to why MacKinnon is as good or even possibly better than Jones. They just have blinders on because they are so desperate to draft a dman because its a need and center is not a need.

Honestly I had seen Jones probably 20 times this year and Mac/Drouin maybe 10 times but the more I watch Mac the more I believe he is the better of the 2 between him and Jones. The way I view it is:

1. MacKinnon
2a Jones
2b Nichushkin
4. Barkov
5. Drouin
6. Lindholm
7. Monahan
8. Nurse

I'm just not sure you pass on the number 1 guy to take the number 2 guy just to fit your need. And if you really want my honest opinion and you are purely rating the guys based off talent I think Nichushkin is ahead of Jones as well but Russian factor plays in so I put him as 2b. The more I watch Jones the more I feel that he probably ends up being a solid dman, but not I'm sold that he is a sure fire #1 in the future like so many people are making him out to be. He just doesn't seem that overly dominant considering how physically developed he is already.
It's a bit condecending to claim that those that don't share your opinion have blinders on, especially seeing as most professional scouts don't share your views.

Avs need both forwards and defenders going forward. Anything is a good fit here. That the best prospect happens to be a defender is of course a nice thing, seeing how hard it is to find good defenders. But if he wasn't the best prospect, he wouldn't be the player Avs should pick.

I'm not sure what valid argument for MacKinnon you feel is being ignored. Pretty much everyone who wants to pick Jones here agree that MacKinnon is a tremendous prospect. It's obvious that the top four-five players in this draft are going to be excellent players.

Old
05-25-2013, 02:18 AM
avacol

Finally got to watch Seth Jones play and I definitely like what I saw. His skating, passing, shooting, and stickwork are all great, but it's definitely his hockey IQ that makes him pretty special. There were times during the game when I expected the standard play but then he would surprise me and do something else, giving himself more time and space or generating some kind of scoring chance.

But of course, his play wasn't perfect. I think he is way too passive defensively. He definitely needs to lay out the body more and stop playing so nice, this isn't roller hockey. And like others have mentioned, sometimes it does seem like he just stands around in the defensive zone watching the puck. But I'm sure those problems can be easily remedied through coaching and experience.

Old
05-25-2013, 02:25 AM
AvsWraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by avacol View Post
Finally got to watch Seth Jones play and I definitely like what I saw. His skating, passing, shooting, and stickwork are all great, but it's definitely his hockey IQ that makes him pretty special. There were times during the game when I expected the standard play but then he would surprise me and do something else, giving himself more time and space or generating some kind of scoring chance.

But of course, his play wasn't perfect. I think he is way too passive defensively. He definitely needs to lay out the body more and stop playing so nice, this isn't roller hockey. And like others have mentioned, sometimes it does seem like he just stands around in the defensive zone watching the puck. But I'm sure those problems can be easily remedied through coaching and experience.
He's gonna fit in perfectly here, seeing as how that is how our defense plays all the time.

Old
05-25-2013, 02:40 AM
IceRat
#BallsOnTheTable

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsWraith View Post
He's gonna fit in perfectly here, seeing as how that is how our defense plays all the time.
I have not seen any of the games but I have read the complaints about his lack of physicallity (something I'm sure will come in time)

I'm don't doubt the guy has a major drive to win, but is there any chance he would be laying back as a kid that is so close to being drafted into the big show (quite possibly #1) and doesn't want to risk a possible injury that could change the course of the rest of his career doing something that currently isn't a big part of his game ... Obviously an injury can come even in a pregame skate and you don't want to be too passive if you want to go #1 (given how close #2 is in talent) but I'm only asking, does one maybe just try and reduce unnecessary risk just a bit

Last edited by IceRat: 05-25-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Closed Thread