HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Noobish Cage and Helmet fit question

Old
05-18-2013, 05:31 PM
JoeyB

vCash: 500
Noobish Cage and Helmet fit question

Hey fellas,

I currently wear an old hand-me-down Mission Intake that expired in 2012. The pads on the inside are shifting around because the glue is borked. I got it from a guy used (I know, don't get used helmets) so I don't actually know what size it is, but it fits me reasonably well after adjusting it to be larger than it was when I got it.

It came with an attached Itech Fantom cage in medium.

I ordered a new Easton E600 from the LHS. Trying them on, large was definitely my size (I measured my head with a tape measure, it's about 23.5"). Planning to stick the old Itech cage on it for now, but I want to upgrade cages in the future.

So here's the question: I'm eyeing the Bauer Re-Akt cages but I'm not sure if I should go with a medium (like my current Itech) or a large. Truthfully, I'm not sure exactly "how" a cage should fit. My current one feels fine, but the corners don't actually meet the clips on the side of the helmet when I'm wearing it (there's probably a good half-inch to go, even on the lower clip setting [this is all on my current Mission, mind you... I haven't received the Easton yet]). Honestly, I don't know if they need to or not.

The chin cup sits where it should, and the straps are long enough.

So... if the medium Fantom works fine should I stick with the medium Re-Akt on the Large size helmet?

JoeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 05:36 PM
AIREAYE

Ask your LHS to help you with sizing.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 07:39 AM
shoeshine boy

no, no, no. if you're buying a large helmet then you will likely need a large cage especially in the Re-Akt. I've been playing in a small CCM V08 for the last few years and wearing a small Bauer 9900 cage. when I decided to upgrade to the Re-Akt cage I went with a medium on the advice of my LHS guy who was special ordering it for me and I'm really glad I did.
recently I traveled with my gf and her travel team to USA Hockey Nationals in Oakland. one her teammates has a small Re-Akt helmet with small cage and her face looks "squished" in the cage. we took a drive down to San Jose and the new HockeyGiant store where I bought a second medium Re-Akt cage for my other helmet. because I'm a nice person I let her play in my medium cage for the remainder of the tourney. she was MUCH more comfortable and ordered herself a medium cage as soon as we got back home.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I would guess a large Re-Akt cage would work for you. My old Intake was a medium and I used a large Bauer cage on it. But to be sure you'd probably want to take it in.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:26 PM
JoeyB

Thanks for the help, fellas. My E600 comes into the shop at the end of the week, I'll ask them to help fit a Re-Akt while I'm there picking it up.

JoeyB is offline   Reply With Quote