HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interesting Observation (MOD: Left-handed vs Right-handed)

Old
05-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

vCash: 500
Interesting Observation (MOD: Left-handed vs Right-handed)

I've been looking over the Sharks and have come across an interesting observation I am curious to explore.

When I look at the Sharks, I can't help but notice how many more left handed players this team has than right handed ones. When I compare the skill and depth level of left handed players to right handed ones, it is alarming to me.

Left: Marleau, Thornton, Havlat, Couture, Galiardi, Gomez, Torres, Desijardins, Sheppard, Kearns, Stuart, Vlassic, Hannan, Irwin. (14)

Right: Pavelski, Burns, Wingels, Burish, Boyle, Demers, Braun, Tennyson. (8)

Does being left-heavy hurt or help this team, or any other for that matter? Does anyone else think we are in desperate need for more balance on the right side? What could/should we do about it going forward? Or does it even matter at all? Is it just me, or does anyone else hate seeing three lefties (or righties) on one line?

Audio Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Clarkington III
Rebuild? Refresh?

Most hockey players shoot left.

Clarkington III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:55 PM
AstroDan
Stars, cars, guitars

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Outlaw View Post
I've been looking over the Sharks and have come across an interesting observation I am curious to explore.

When I look at the Sharks, I can't help but notice how many more left handed players this team has than right handed ones. When I compare the skill and depth level of left handed players to right handed ones, it is alarming to me.

Left: Marleau, Thornton, Havlat, Couture, Galiardi, Gomez, Torres, Desijardins, Sheppard, Kearns, Stuart, Vlassic, Hannan, Irwin. (14)

Does being left-heavy hurt or help this team, or any other for that matter? Does anyone else think we are in desperate need for more balance on the right side? What could/should we do about it going forward? Or does it even matter at all? Is it just me, or does anyone else hate seeing three lefties (or righties) on one line?
#12, 19,39 Left
#8, 88, 22 Right.

Seems pretty even to me.
Doesn't matter unless it is even more lopsided.

AstroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:58 PM
WantonAbandon

Canadians and Europeans tend to shoot left and Americans tend to shoot right

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 10:12 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

vCash: 1250
If you want to talk about interesting facts, there's been a player born in Germany on the team every year since 1998 when Marco Sturm first made the team.

hohosaregood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 10:27 PM
CJL182

I believe Greiss is a lefty but still catches with his left.

CJL182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 10:30 PM
do0glas

having a good smattering of right vs. left really only effects set plays and breakouts imo, and breakouts not super heavily, because a lot of the most efficient breakouts are on the backhand (if executed properly if can catch the forecheck much more off guard)

set plays being mostly on faceoffs (in which a righty or lefty can setup where needed in case of a win) or on the powerplay.

in terms of pure chance creation, or goal probability. getting a righty on the left side (shot from the slot) isnt enough in the positive to REALLY worry about it.

and when i say worry about it, i mean draft or trade based on it.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 11:25 PM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroDan View Post
#12, 19,39 Left
#8, 88, 22 Right.

Seems pretty even to me.
Doesn't matter unless it is even more lopsided.
I knew somebody was going to say that. 2 of those right handed guys are defenders, one of which possibly may be on the way out. I'm not sure if Burns is staying in at forward or not, and if so for how long. My main concern is that the opposing goalie maybe getting too much of the same look with all these left handers. If the GDT remains true, then our lineup for game 5 will be as so.

Left-Left-Right
Left-Left-Right
Left-Left-Right
Left-Left-Left

Left-Right
Left-Left
Left-Right

There is some balance there. At least the first 2 RW are big right handed threats. I would like to see another and/or improvement right hander in at Center or RW on the 2nd or 3rd line.

Last edited by Audio Outlaw: 05-23-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Audio Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 12:40 AM
jgood

As said above, most Canadian and European players are taught to play using there strong hand as the hand higher on the stick so that swinging it one handed to poke check is stronger. Americans are used to other sports like baseball where the swinging of a shot is like a baseball swing.

I believe that I heard that somewhere, it makes sense to me, so I will pass it on. If I am wrong please correct me.

jgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:21 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Outlaw View Post

The guys who play "left" are right handed. When you learn in Canada or most other countries other than America your dominant hand goes up top. American players who hold the stick right handed probably are actually right handed though because as a country we never learned "correctly". I don't think it really matter though. Super Mario turned out alright as a right handed person who held his stick right handed.

There is no need for balance except maybe at D. Even that is debatable though. I've been playing mostly D for more than 20 years as a right hander on the left side because I prefer that side offensively.

Please tell me that seeing 3 lefties on a line doesn't actually bother you... That is a little insane.

And just incase there is some confusion... "we" aren't going to do anything about it unless you're actually DW posting under an alias.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:21 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgood View Post
As said above, most Canadian and European players are taught to play using there strong hand as the hand higher on the stick so that swinging it one handed to poke check is stronger. Americans are used to other sports like baseball where the swinging of a shot is like a baseball swing.

I believe that I heard that somewhere, it makes sense to me, so I will pass it on. If I am wrong please correct me.
Pretty much.
Dominant hand on the bottom = harder shot.
Dominant hand on the top = better puck control.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:01 AM
stator

American right handed and I've always favored shooting left. Never understood why until I started hockey with my son. For me it comes down to puck handling versus shot power. Right hand on top gives me better ability to control the puck somewhat at the expense of power. I tend to use my left hand as the fulcrum point and move the stick quicker with my right hand on top. I don't have that same level coordination with my left hand.

If I had my way, I'd prefer a smart blade that changes curves instantly on how I hold the stick, either to the left or right. Somebody needs to invent such as thing without adding weight, or decreasing strength.

stator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Arrch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Americans tend to shoot right
Its wierd. I'm a righty, but I shoot left, but the majority of the people I play with shoot right.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote