HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Off-Season Speculation/Be the GM Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-27-2013, 07:03 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
A few things regarding the posts being made on here.

1) Trading Staal only happens if he doesn't want to sign an extension. Otherwise, he absolutely must stay. He is hands down a top 2 defenseman on this team (if not #1) and he's a huge part of the locker room chemistry. The only way we trade him is if he refuses to resign with us. Otherwise, MDZ needs to be the piece we trade. We have an abundance of left handed defensemen, we need offense, MDZ is the clear cut choice if Staal resigns. Trading Staal, randomly, for an offensive piece will do nothing. Not with this coach. Maybe not even with another coach. Would be a step back for sure.

2) Kreider absolutely deserves to be in the top 6. You DO NOT mess around with top talents like Kreider. You absolutely don't. What Torts did this year was the most incompetent move Torts could have made with this kid. Kept calling him up and sending him down, played with his head, tarnished confidence. Enough from the ****ing peanut gallery on this board. Ice time warrants minutes, yes, but you DO NOT jerk around top prospects. You either play them top minutes so that they can learn and develop into the player you want them to become, or you play them top minutes in the AHL until you deem they are permanently ready and then call them up for good and give them a fair shake. The one and only other option is to call them up to give them a taste of the NHL, then send them back down if they are not ready so that they a) know what to expect at the next level (so they work to adjust their game and preparation to reach that level) and b) are even more motivated to get on the roster and stick the 2nd time around. What Torts did this year was disgusting. Kreider is your top prospect, it is undeniable. Forget "warranting" top 6 minutes, if you want to develop his skills for the future you must play him the type of role you want him to become... i.e. a top player and goal scorer on the team. Disgraceful.

3) Enough of the "I think Tortorella deserves a fair shake with a full training camp and summer with the team". No. He's had plenty of full training camps with the team. His system inhibits offense. That is our biggest problem. Offense. It's not the personnel we have, it's him. We have a far larger sample size than a few games or one season, both with Torts' players and without Torts' players. Same results. Tired of this ****. Need a new coach. Period.

Old
05-27-2013, 07:14 PM
ncmike

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Since discussion has moved here, I think Krug is far more than a great shot. He is quick, smart, and sees the ice.
A lot will be known after the Pgh series, where their forwards will get out on top of him. Plus their speed and transition game. As another poster said, going up against the Ranger offense did not put any pressure on him or the other rookie defenders. Pittsburgh will surely test him.

Old
05-27-2013, 07:16 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Is Eriksson really available for only Del Zotto? I would've thought Dallas wanted more. I'm not complaining. I still think we should acquire a 3C as a plan B. Peverley is available for cheap, according to Bs fans.

Kreider-Stepan-Eriksson
Zuccarello-Brassard-Nash
Hagelin-Peverley-Callahan
Powe-Miller/Boyle-Dorsett

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
Moore-McIlrath

Old
05-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Thumpz

There is not the slightest chance in hell MDZ gets you Eriksson. That conversation doesn't even start.

Old
05-27-2013, 07:25 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

If Staal is going to make a recovery, then you keep him and shop Del Zotto. Unless Carolina is making an offer that's too good to refuse, he needs to stay until we're forced to move him.

Would love to add Burmistrov to the stable, but it's risky to make an unproven player the centerpiece of a Del Zotto deal, IMO. Maybe if it was Burmistrov and the 13th overall pick. Take Zykov or move back for a 2nd and try and grab Mantha in the 18-22 range of the first. Two guys who are on a very steep development curve and could be NHL ready sooner rather than later. Both play the LW. Zykov looks like Frolov when Frolov could skate for an entire shift and not lose the puck. Move some other pieces for McBain. He needs a change of scenery badly. His game fell off a cliff last year.

Build like Boston. Skill down the middle. Playmaking centers. Size and goal scoring on the wings. 4th line that's hard to play against. Big, mobile defenders who can transition the puck.

Old
05-27-2013, 07:31 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
If Staal is going to make a recovery, then you keep him and shop Del Zotto. Unless Carolina is making an offer that's too good to refuse, he needs to stay until we're forced to move him.

Would love to add Burmistrov to the stable, but it's risky to make an unproven player the centerpiece of a Del Zotto deal, IMO. Maybe if it was Burmistrov and the 13th overall pick. Take Zykov or move back for a 2nd and try and grab Mantha in the 18-22 range of the first. Two guys who are on a very steep development curve and could be NHL ready sooner rather than later. Both play the LW. Zykov looks like Frolov when Frolov could skate for an entire shift and not lose the puck. Move some other pieces for McBain. He needs a change of scenery badly. His game fell off a cliff last year.

Build like Boston. Skill down the middle. Playmaking centers. Size and goal scoring on the wings. 4th line that's hard to play against. Big, mobile defenders who can transition the puck.
I wouldn't be opposed to MDZ for Burmistrov + 13th but they should try and get Thorburn too. Maybe add Pyatt into the deal and get Thorburn back.

Burmistrov is a good young player but, and I know this may be premature, where does Lindberg play in the near future? He is a natural center.

I guess Burmistrov, Stepan, Brassard or Lindberg can play wing if need be.

MDZ + Pyatt for Burmistrov + Thorburn + 13th overall.

Thorburn, Dorsett, Haley/Asham would be a formidable bottom 6 toughness wise and they can all play a solid shift.

Old
05-27-2013, 07:45 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Well I bought a Bure Panthers jersey then he got traded here, I bought a Nash BJ's jersey, he got traded here, I bought a Ryan Ducks jersey.......should I start the voodoo?

Old
05-27-2013, 07:52 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpz View Post
There is not the slightest chance in hell MDZ gets you Eriksson. That conversation doesn't even start.
del zotto is a better player than goligoski and he returned james neal and niskanen. young PMD are valuable assets in this league.

Old
05-27-2013, 07:56 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
del zotto is a better player than goligoski and he returned james neal and niskanen. young PMD are valuable assets in this league.
But there is a new GM in Dallas, I can't see them making a trade like that again especially how badly they got ***** in the Neal deal

Old
05-27-2013, 08:31 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
At the time, Neal was a one-dimensional 20-30 goal scorer, and Matt Niskanen was a former 1st round pick who was regressing each year. They weren't the players they are today.

Old
05-27-2013, 08:36 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
At the time, Neal was a one-dimensional 20-30 goal scorer, and Matt Niskanen was a former 1st round pick who was regressing each year. They weren't the players they are today.
id still say neal is one dimentional but he was a 23 year old 2 time 20 goal scorer. goligoski was older than del zotto is now and had scored less points on a higher scoring team.

Old
05-27-2013, 09:26 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
Is Eriksson really available for only Del Zotto?
he's not available at all...people keeping bringing him up cause we'd love to have him but thats why dallas isn't trading him.

Old
05-27-2013, 09:28 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
but that was also a terrible trade for dallas from the moment it was made that has gotten even worse. you can't judge mdz's value based on the hope that the stars would make the same mistake again lol

Old
05-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

When discussing the Ranger's defense, Rangers fans will defend each guy as an individual to the death, and yet Lundqvist still faces and entirely ridiculous amount of quality chances. Somewhere along the line, somebody back there has to be not playing good. Who is it?

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Old
05-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Speaking in hypotheticals only here:

What if Colorado drafts Mackinnon? Could the Rangers try to make a play for Duchene? Personally I don't think there is any way they aren't drafting Jones but after his play at the Memorial cup you can clearly see that Mackinnon also deserves to go #1 overall.

Just day dreaming here.

Old
05-27-2013, 09:48 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
Speaking in hypotheticals only here:

What if Colorado drafts Mackinnon? Could the Rangers try to make a play for Duchene? Personally I don't think there is any way they aren't drafting Jones but after his play at the Memorial cup you can clearly see that Mackinnon also deserves to go #1 overall.

Just day dreaming here.
They'd just trade Stastny and rotate MacKinnon/Duchene/O'Reilly/Mitchell. Very deep, Colorado would have an elite center core to build around.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
05-27-2013, 09:56 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
They'd just trade Stastny and rotate MacKinnon/Duchene/O'Reilly/Mitchell. Very deep, Colorado would have an elite center core to build around.
But with MacKinnon, Duchene, and ROR all on the same roster you have to think one of them gets Jordan-Staaled at some point like with the Penguins. I don't think it'll happen next year though.

Old
05-27-2013, 10:00 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

At #13 I really like Morrissey. I'd even reach a little for him. Could be my bias, because we need that kind of player in the organization and don't have one. Or if we could somehow get a mid-high second round pick and take the local kid Brett Pesce. He's a possible dynamic offensive defenseman (and a Rangers fan ironically).

I sure hope we can try to recoup some of these lost picks. It'll make the trip to Newark more fun.

Old
05-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I forgot about Statsny.

I think my thinking was based on the fact that Duchene is an RFA next summer

Old
05-27-2013, 10:28 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
When discussing the Ranger's defense, Rangers fans will defend each guy as an individual to the death, and yet Lundqvist still faces and entirely ridiculous amount of quality chances. Somewhere along the line, somebody back there has to be not playing good. Who is it?
Who do you think it is?

Old
05-27-2013, 10:29 PM
Slick Rick 61

If Colorado drafts Seth Jones, they will have a surplus on the right-side. Given that Girardi and Stralman are UFA's after 13-14, the Rangers should be looking for a core piece on the right side.

I wonder if they will could possibly pursue one of Stefan Elliott/Tyson Barrie. Also David Rundblad in PHX. Offensive talent is there, defensive game still leaves plenty to be desired. Was not a Tippett favorite and then was caught in a #'s game.

Old
05-27-2013, 10:34 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
Who do you think it is?
I think Girardi in particular was brutal this year and him and Del Zotto together was an automatic goal.

But if I had to pin one man, it's Torts.

Old
05-27-2013, 10:52 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
I think Girardi in particular was brutal this year and him and Del Zotto together was an automatic goal.

Ok, well we disagree on Girardi, he has been great, except for game 2 against the Bruins. I noticed you gave him an F and you haven't been kind to him on the trade boards, but it's your opinion of Girardi and you have the right to it. I just don't think you realize how much he brings to the table.
He is not flashy, he doesn't deliver the greatest hits, he doesn't have the hardest shot, he is just steady. Always there to provide shotblocking, technically sound, can play a lot of minutes. He plays hurt, drops the gloves when necessary, delivers the occasional big hit, clears the crease. It's no wonder that the 1 game he played like crap, 5 goals were scored.
Girardi will never be what he is not, an offensive Dman. He is a stay at home shutdown RHD, which are not easy to find. He can provide the occasional goal, expecting anything more and you'd be disappointed.

As to who is to blame.
This has been discussed in other threads, but the problem is the system IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
i said it last night, you can't trade your way out of a bad system.
This puck support system is not working and won't work anymore. Teams have figured out its weakness.
Get the puck to the rangers D zone, cycle the puck, eventually all 5 players will be around the puck, pass it across the ice, where the dman can take unmolested shots at Hank.
If the Rangers eventually get the puck, they will clear the zone along the walls, crowd the walls, get the puck.
rinse and repeat.
If they manage to successfully clear the zone, they are too tired from chasing the puck in their own zone to sustain any offense most of the time.
Please tell me which player(s) on any other team can make this system work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry
As to the puck support system, It keeps making the team look like the keystone cops. Bruin Dmen had field day teeing off against Hank, because they had all day.
Only thing left for me to say is it's insanity itself when you keep trying the same system and expect different results.

Old
05-27-2013, 10:54 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:

What.

Girardi had a bit of an up and down regular season, but he was a beast down the stretch and for most of the playoffs. he game two against Boston was legendarily bad, but otherwise, he was a rock and playing at the level he was playing last year.

I think that ankle injury affected Girardi more than we think.

Old
05-27-2013, 11:09 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckrush View Post
At #13 I really like Morrissey. I'd even reach a little for him. Could be my bias, because we need that kind of player in the organization and don't have one. Or if we could somehow get a mid-high second round pick and take the local kid Brett Pesce. He's a possible dynamic offensive defenseman (and a Rangers fan ironically).

I sure hope we can try to recoup some of these lost picks. It'll make the trip to Newark more fun.
Yeah, Morrissey interests me. Looking at THN's top 60, Kerby Rychel is available at 23. Two-way center, just what we need. Only concern is when they'll be able to make an impact.

Closed Thread