HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Off-Season Speculation/Be the GM Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-28-2013, 06:11 AM
  #826
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
A top pairing D-man can't have games like that in the playoffs.
Chara has games like that, including his horrific play with Stepan.

chosen is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 07:10 AM
  #827
Paulie Walnutz
Corsi? Fuhgedaboudit
 
Paulie Walnutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 6,140
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Paulie Walnutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFW View Post
Trading Staal isn't going to happen for a few reasons. Firstly, he's probably the Rangers' best defenseman. I think it the difference between a defensive corps with and without Staal was obvious this season. Secondly, I don't anticipate too many teams willing to pay full price for a defenseman who may be concussion-prone and have depth-perception issues. For as good as Staal is, he is a bit of a question mark, physically speaking.
Steal missed the first half of last season and the Rangers were still atop the standings

Paulie Walnutz is online now  
Old
05-28-2013, 07:32 AM
  #828
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 16,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Knows Best View Post
Steal missed the first half of last season and the Rangers were still atop the standings
Sauer was still in the top 4 until January.

jas is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 07:32 AM
  #829
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 36,218
vCash: 500
Ryane Clowe? Look at the Rangers cap numbers. $64.3M cap. Look at the group III players for 14-15. The goalie wants big money. The other players want to get paid. The situation would look much worse if Gaborik and his $7.5M was on the team. The Rangers can add a player making $1.7M and use that $7.5M on 4 players. I saw a cap projection of $66M-$67M for 14-15. Some people will argument with it being too low. Whatever. $67M. Lundqvist gets a minimum of $10M. That 15% of the cap. Pay the remaining players with $57M. The current group IIs. Lundqvist. Girardi. Callahan. DZ will be a group II. Even if you trade him,the other player(s) isn't playing for free. Kreider will be a group II w/arb rights. Brassard will be a group II with arb rights and one year away from group III. If Brassard continues his playoff play and becomes a big player on this team,the Rangers will need to sign him for 14-15. Fill out the roster. Everyone complained about depth. The depth players need to be paid. Clowe? He wants a long term deal. It takes one stupid team to give it to him.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 08:15 AM
  #830
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bialystok, Poland
Country: Iceland
Posts: 7,479
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Ryane Clowe? Look at the Rangers cap numbers. $64.3M cap. Look at the group III players for 14-15. The goalie wants big money. The other players want to get paid. The situation would look much worse if Gaborik and his $7.5M was on the team. The Rangers can add a player making $1.7M and use that $7.5M on 4 players. I saw a cap projection of $66M-$67M for 14-15. Some people will argument with it being too low. Whatever. $67M. Lundqvist gets a minimum of $10M. That 15% of the cap. Pay the remaining players with $57M. The current group IIs. Lundqvist. Girardi. Callahan. DZ will be a group II. Even if you trade him,the other player(s) isn't playing for free. Kreider will be a group II w/arb rights. Brassard will be a group II with arb rights and one year away from group III. If Brassard continues his playoff play and becomes a big player on this team,the Rangers will need to sign him for 14-15. Fill out the roster. Everyone complained about depth. The depth players need to be paid. Clowe? He wants a long term deal. It takes one stupid team to give it to him.
Logically a one year deal at 3,75 M would then be good for both parties. But logic is most likely not existing in these kind of matters

BBKers is online now  
Old
05-28-2013, 08:16 AM
  #831
haohmaru
boomshakalaka
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 8,006
vCash: 500
Lundqvist @10/per = bye-bye Lundqvist. No way should he get paid that with a 64-67M team cap. Buyout Richards, sign the RFA's, negotiate with Henrik to a reasonable contract (8/60M is as high as I'd go), sign Clowe if he'll sign for 3.5M/per, have a conversation with Weiss. JT, Jesper, McI, Thomas, etc... give them all a good long look.

haohmaru is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 08:24 AM
  #832
Radek27
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,755
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Lundqvist @10/per = bye-bye Lundqvist. No way should he get paid that with a 64-67M team cap. Buyout Richards, sign the RFA's, negotiate with Henrik to a reasonable contract (8/60M is as high as I'd go), sign Clowe if he'll sign for 3.5M/per, have a conversation with Weiss. JT, Jesper, McI, Thomas, etc... give them all a good long look.
You talk if the team has options in goal beyond Lundqvist. The Rangers will and should pay him whatever the hell he wants.

Radek27 is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 08:30 AM
  #833
Championship*
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,499
vCash: 500
There is no way you DON'T give him what he wants, and more.

Championship* is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 08:32 AM
  #834
haohmaru
boomshakalaka
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 8,006
vCash: 500
$10M/yr cripples whatever team signs him, including the Rangers.

haohmaru is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 08:33 AM
  #835
Ail
Kidmograph tho.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 25,106
vCash: 500
There is no doubt they give Henrik anything he wants.

Ail is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 08:41 AM
  #836
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 36,218
vCash: 500
Clowe's contract will come into play before Lundqvist. Free agency starts five weeks from this Friday. It doesn't sound like Lundqvist is in a rush to do anything.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 08:43 AM
  #837
Championship*
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
$10M/yr cripples whatever team signs him, including the Rangers.
No Lundqvist cripples the team as well

Championship* is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 08:51 AM
  #838
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 10,902
vCash: 500
I don't think lundqvist seeks the max. I can see $8-8.5 million though.

UAGoalieGuy is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 08:53 AM
  #839
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 36,218
vCash: 500
It will cost $10M-$12M to re-sign McDonagh,Stepan and Hagelin. The latter changes agents. He went to Pat Brisson and JP Barry from Alec Schall. Does Step get a long term deal or a 2 year bridge deal? Those players will take up the current cap space. Buying out Richards creates more room but you also have to figure out the summer of 14 free agents with the cap increasing by $2M-$3M. The Rangers have a ton of them.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 09:02 AM
  #840
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 21,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
$10M/yr cripples whatever team signs him, including the Rangers.
I mean it doesn't. Just go to capgeek.com and play around some. Start at the bottom of the cap chart and go up. You will spot a whole bunch of teams who it would make sense for to sign Hank to 10-12m per deal.

And some of them are at attractive locations and would become contenders down the road with Hank. Colorado for example. Detroit would have the cap space. Toronto would have the cap space. NJD would have the cap space.

My point is just, if Hank hits the market and takes the highest offer, he will get a high offer. Believe me. If Wideman gets 5.2, Hank gets 12... So if he takes 7m per in NY, he leaves more money on the table than anyone have done before.

Ola is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 09:11 AM
  #841
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 10,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
It will cost $10M-$12M to re-sign McDonagh,Stepan and Hagelin. The latter changes agents. He went to Pat Brisson and JP Barry from Alec Schall. Does Step get a long term deal or a 2 year bridge deal? Those players will take up the current cap space. Buying out Richards creates more room but you also have to figure out the summer of 14 free agents with the cap increasing by $2M-$3M. The Rangers have a ton of them.
Buying out Richards and the cap going up that off season gives the Rangers $10 million extra in cap space.

Callahan gets a long term deal around $6 million/year, a $1.7 increase.

Lundqvist gets $8.5, a $1.75 million increase.

Girardi gets $5-5.5, a $1.7 million increase.

MDZ is an RFA w Arab rights. Is he still with the team if Staal regains form?

Moore is an RFA coming off an ELC. 2 year bridge contract at around 1.75-2 million? That would be a $1.1 increase.

Boyle, Pyatt, Powe, Ashram and Stralman are UFA's. That frees up close to another $7 million. Of that group probably only Stralman and Boyle may be brought back.

The Callahan, Girardi, Lundqvist and Moore increases eat up about $7 of the $10 million saved by buying out Richards and the cap going up $3 million.

UAGoalieGuy is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 09:14 AM
  #842
haohmaru
boomshakalaka
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 8,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I mean it doesn't. Just go to capgeek.com and play around some. Start at the bottom of the cap chart and go up. You will spot a whole bunch of teams who it would make sense for to sign Hank to 10-12m per deal.

And some of them are at attractive locations and would become contenders down the road with Hank. Colorado for example. Detroit would have the cap space. Toronto would have the cap space. NJD would have the cap space.

My point is just, if Hank hits the market and takes the highest offer, he will get a high offer. Believe me. If Wideman gets 5.2, Hank gets 12... So if he takes 7m per in NY, he leaves more money on the table than anyone have done before.
Detroit? Not a chance. They've got Howard locked up for years and have tons of players leaving in the next two years. Colarado has 11M in cap space next year and have impending RFA's and leaving UFA's. They've got a grand total of 7 players signed for 2014-15 with Duchene, Landeskog, AND Ryan O'Reilly needing to be signed. Toronto has a grand total of 10 skaters signed for next year with 19M in Cap space. They'll need to sign at least 8 players with that 19M. Lundqvist isn't fitting there either. In any event, a 10M hit will seriously impact the ability of just about any club to field the right roster.

Want to talk about perennial cap-floor teams like Nashville, CBJ's, NYI's, etc...? Fine. Do you think Lundqvist is going to go there?

haohmaru is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 09:19 AM
  #843
haohmaru
boomshakalaka
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 8,006
vCash: 500
Another thing to consider here is whether you make an offer to Michael Sauer, too, or just let him go. I hope the guy gets healthy, but I'm not sure how much longer you can keep him against the cap when his career is in doubt.

haohmaru is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 09:22 AM
  #844
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 10,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Another thing to consider here is whether you make an offer to Michael Sauer, too, or just let him go. I hope the guy gets healthy, but I'm not sure how much longer you can keep him against the cap when his career is in doubt.
If the Rangers aren't 100% sure he'll be able to play next season the Rangers will not qualify him.

UAGoalieGuy is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 09:23 AM
  #845
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 14,491
vCash: 500
Can't the rangers just qualify Sauer and put him on LTIR if he signs?

ecemleafs is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 09:23 AM
  #846
iamitter
Thornton's Hen
 
iamitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Buying out Richards and the cap going up that off season gives the Rangers $10 million extra in cap space.

Callahan gets a long term deal around $6 million/year, a $1.7 increase.

Lundqvist gets $8.5, a $1.75 million increase.

Girardi gets $5-5.5, a $1.7 million increase.

MDZ is an RFA w Arab rights. Is he still with the team if Staal regains form?

Moore is an RFA coming off an ELC. 2 year bridge contract at around 1.75-2 million? That would be a $1.1 increase.

Boyle, Pyatt, Powe, Ashram and Stralman are UFA's. That frees up close to another $7 million. Of that group probably only Stralman and Boyle may be brought back.

The Callahan, Girardi, Lundqvist and Moore increases eat up about $7 of the $10 million saved by buying out Richards and the cap going up $3 million.
Gross. Why would you want to give out long term deals to Callahan and Girardi, let alone at a raise? What has Callahan done to deserve 6 mil, let alone in a long term deal where he is likely to be ineffective offensively in the latter part? Callahan, with his style of play, will likely lose his scoring touch by 31-32. I don't want another Brendan Morrow/Chris Drury on this team.

Callahan can either get another 2-3 year deal at ~5-5.5 or a longer one at his current cap hit (which I think is dumb to begin with).

And Hank likely started with 10 because all agents start high. Look at all goalie comparables. If Hank gets a deal 'till he's 38 or so, I wouldn't expect him to make much more than he's making now. Butterfly goalies don't have that long a lifespan.

iamitter is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 09:31 AM
  #847
Championship*
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
Can't the rangers just qualify Sauer and put him on LTIR if he signs?
No I don't think so. He won't be qualified.

Championship* is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 10:03 AM
  #848
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 20,389
vCash: 500
If Hank wanted anything over $8M, I'd seriously consider trading him. It puts too much strain on our cap commitment, and let's be honest, the team leans on him far too much to begin with. Part of me wonders if they'd put in some extra effort if they didn't have the best goalie in the world saving their bacon night after night.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 10:11 AM
  #849
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 14,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
If Hank wanted anything over $8M, I'd seriously consider trading him. It puts too much strain on our cap commitment, and let's be honest, the team leans on him far too much to begin with. Part of me wonders if they'd put in some extra effort if they didn't have the best goalie in the world saving their bacon night after night.
henke having a cap hit of 8-9m with a 65-70m salary cap wudnt be all that different than him having a 6.875 cap hit when the salary cap was 57m and thats taking a low ball number for what the cap will probably look like for the duration of henkes next contract.

ecemleafs is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 10:12 AM
  #850
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 36,218
vCash: 500
If the Rangers don't sign Callahan and/or Girardi,they will need to replace them. Those players aren't playing for free. Those two plus Henrik cost $14M plus now. Callahan at $5.5M and Girardi at $4.5M. That's $10M. Add another $10M for Henrik. Everyone wants money. Even Clowe who talked about working with the Rangers at getting a deal. This player wanted 8 years and $34M from SJ. Hagelin changed agents. Last 2 times that happened. Nylander dumped Theofanous for Mike Gillis. Prust dumped Newport for Ritch Winter. Both of them wanted too much money and left. People talk about Bickell from the Hawks. He will get $2M-$3M. Prust got $2.5M.

RangerBoy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.