HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

New Jersey Devils top 20 brimming with pro-ready defensemen

Old
05-23-2013, 08:46 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
I still don't think Urbom ever plays any kind of role going forward in NJ.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:20 PM
ConnNJ30

I agree. I think he is most likely to be traded of the three.

ConnNJ30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:57 PM
goalvalchuk17

small sample size but i loved what i saw from gelinas in the couple of games he played. urbom looked decent too. but, it's not the defense i'm worried about in the future. forwards and goalie worry me. a lot.

goalvalchuk17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:04 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I'm not high on Urbom either. Could be good, but he's meh as far as what we need. Gelinas is more of what we need. I don't think we need another 20 point max, mostly stay at home defensemen which is what I think he will be.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Buggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I'm not high on Urbom either. Could be good, but he's meh as far as what we need. Gelinas is more of what we need. I don't think we need another 20 point max, mostly stay at home defensemen which is what I think he will be.
We will in 2 years.

Buggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:22 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
We will in 2 years.
Why? Salvador is probably there until he retires. If he decides to keep going he'll be brought back.

Gelinas, Larsson, Merrill, Greene, Fayne, Salvador or possibly Conechenkov in there if he's not bought out.

Then you got another group of guys like Severson, Scarlett, etc.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:25 PM
The Great Dame
Blame Pete

vCash: 316
Quote:
Yes we do!

We have nobody that sufficiently does that.

The Great Dame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:27 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnots13 View Post
Yes we do!

We have nobody that sufficiently does that.
Fayne? Then there's guy like Greene who do that, and also provide some offense.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:36 PM
Eggers
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Eggers
I'm not sure Urbom really spends much time here either. He seemed like an important piece in one of the most awful prospect pools in the league, same thing that happened to Eckford. But now there's guys who aren't necessarily ahead of him on the depth chart, but likely will be soon due to their higher potential. Urbom may just be a stop-gap guy til some of the better prospects make their way up.

I wouldn't mind seeing this a few more times before he leaves though...

Eggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 11:41 PM
The Great Dame
Blame Pete

vCash: 316
Quote:
Fayne? Then there's guy like Greene who do that, and also provide some offense.
Ok Fayne, that's it, and Greene is not a "shut down" guy and neither is really physical like Urbom.

I heard someone compare him to Jonathan Ericsson, maybe that's why I'm so excited but I see Urbom as a big, mobile, and physical defenseman, so what's not to love?

The Great Dame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 11:45 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnots13 View Post
Ok Fayne, that's it, and Greene is not a "shut down" guy and neither is really physical like Urbom.

I heard someone compare him to Jonathan Ericsson, maybe that's why I'm so excited but I see Urbom as a big, mobile, and physical defenseman, so what's not to love?
There's nothing wrong with him, but I'm not that high on him. I'm kinda tired of our defense only scoring 15 goals a year too.

And Greene has done a damn good job at shutting down guys the last 2 years.

Old
05-24-2013, 12:33 AM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

I have no idea how one game made gelinas so popular around here but it sure as hell happened

Urbom is the only one of our defensemen I would expect to see significant time next season barring a lot of injuries. Everyone else could use another season in the minors

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 05:41 AM
dougiebrown

I have no idea why Wedgewood is considered our #2 prospect. In fact, I don't think he's our #1 goalie prospect. I think Kinkaid is.

dougiebrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 06:23 AM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
I have no idea how one game made gelinas so popular around here but it sure as hell happened

Urbom is the only one of our defensemen I would expect to see significant time next season barring a lot of injuries. Everyone else could use another season in the minors
Maybe because he was looking impressively comfortable out there, not bothered to face Malkin and company, moving the puck very well, showing his powerful shot too. Only one game but it damn screamed Gelinas looks like an NHLer, and Deboer was the 1st person to agree on that.

Urbom with 3 full AHL seasons should be NHL ready by now but Gelinas, while being 1 AHL season less experienced, is progressing faster and seems to have a higher ceiling than Urbom. I wouldn't be surprised if he could make the team before Urbom.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 06:44 AM
hlaverty06

Greene-Larsson
Fayne-Merrill
Salvador (final year of his deal yay)-Urbom
Gelinas

in 2 seasons from now ? Tallinder traded to Buffalo, Volchenkov amnestied

But I feel like we have to move some D prospects because Severson looks like he's going to be really solid. One of Urbom/Gelinas probably moves, Salvador is just ugh......he's gotta go then that'll free up Severson or someone for a spot

Scarlett, Burlon, Gelinas/Urbom seem like they can be expendable ...at least one of them

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 07:33 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Tallinder only has 1 more season on his deal anyways.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:18 AM
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlingBard56 View Post
Gelinas has played one game in the NHL and two seasons in Albany. Not even if you count his injury. He looked great in his brief NHL stint, but he also looked raw. Urbom will get a shot before Gelinas unless Gelinas outplays him at rookie/training camp
I disagree, Gelinas looked better in every way compared to Urbom, Urbom has looked worse and worse each time he's been called up. Gelinas didn't really look raw to me at all, if anything he was adjusting to the level of competition. Gelinas needs to play in the NHL next season. Urbom is NHL ready also but he's just not at the same level.

njdevilsjds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:22 AM
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post

I was impressed with Gelinas long before his debut, his debut just confirmed what I had been saying, he is phased by no one. Urbom just isn't the type of guy we need right now.

njdevilsjds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:30 AM
billingtons ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
Maybe because he was looking impressively comfortable out there, not bothered to face Malkin and company, moving the puck very well, showing his powerful shot too. Only one game but it damn screamed Gelinas looks like an NHLer, and Deboer was the 1st person to agree on that.

Urbom with 3 full AHL seasons should be NHL ready by now but Gelinas, while being 1 AHL season less experienced, is progressing faster and seems to have a higher ceiling than Urbom. I wouldn't be surprised if he could make the team before Urbom.
I think the difference is in their style of play. From what I've seen in some of the Albany games I've caught - Gelinas is more like Zids and Urbom is more like Fayne.

I think Gelinas has more upside overall, and certainly more offensive upside, but I think he is far more likely to get caught, take a bad angle, get running around, and miss assignments.

Just be prepared for a healthy dose of that when he gets his chance.

Whereas I think you could drop Urbom in and be completely unimpressed with his game (other than his size) but he might play 82 games for us and we won't mention his name (too much) after they score a goal.

billingtons ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:56 AM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by billingtons ghost View Post
I think the difference is in their style of play. From what I've seen in some of the Albany games I've caught - Gelinas is more like Zids and Urbom is more like Fayne.

I think Gelinas has more upside overall, and certainly more offensive upside, but I think he is far more likely to get caught, take a bad angle, get running around, and miss assignments.

Just be prepared for a healthy dose of that when he gets his chance.

Whereas I think you could drop Urbom in and be completely unimpressed with his game (other than his size) but he might play 82 games for us and we won't mention his name (too much) after they score a goal.
Indeed both play a different game. In my opinion, our lack of offensive production and puck movement from the blueline is one of the main reason why I believe Gelinas could make the team before Urbom. Gelinas' game just fits today's NHL perfectly. Still early and I like Urbom's game also. Once he'll use his huge size better, he'll be a good dman.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:57 AM
hlaverty06

I like Urbom's game a lot, he plays like Jonathan Ericsson and I like that

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 03:23 PM
devilsblood

Is there anyone in the HF top 20 who u would not trade in order to move up in the draft?

Is there anyone in the HF top 20 with whom we could pair with our #9 to move up in this year's draft?

devilsblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 03:45 PM
John Iadevaia
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
Indeed both play a different game. In my opinion, our lack of offensive production and puck movement from the blueline is one of the main reason why I believe Gelinas could make the team before Urbom. Gelinas' game just fits today's NHL perfectly. Still early and I like Urbom's game also. Once he'll use his huge size better, he'll be a good dman.
Gelinas, Urbom and Burlon are ready to show if they can crack the line-up. I do agree Gelinas has the bigger upside of the three, but Urbom is a rare mix of size and speed. He's also good in his own zone. Burlon is more of a vanilla type blueliner, nothing flashy on either end, but he plays a balanced game overall.

Don't forge Merrill and Severson will also get a good look at training camp along with them. I definitely see Lou moving one of the veterans this summer opening up a spot for one or two players.

John Iadevaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 04:03 PM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

Urbom just needs confidence, as does Larsson.
It's up to Pete and his staff to boost their confidence.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 04:40 PM
Eggers
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Eggers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
Urbom just needs confidence, as does Larsson.
It's up to Pete and his staff to boost their confidence.
So what you're saying is "trade 'em all, we're doomed?"

Eggers is offline   Reply With Quote