HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

University of Maine interested in Jack Capuano

Old
05-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Renbarg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I'm not a big Cappy fan.

I give his assistants Thompson and Weight, a lot of credit for the team's improved play.
I won't be upset if he stays, I won't be upset it he goes.
Out of curiosity you give them credit based on what exactly?

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:47 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Out of curiosity you give them credit based on what exactly?
Thompson came from the AHL with a strong rep for developing young players. Last season, he led Bridgeport to it's first division crown. This season, Bridgeport missed the playoffs.

Weight's gotten props for being a good assistant coach, having the respect of the players. That speech he gave, ripping into the players on the bench, during the Pens/isles playoff series, where he's telling the isles not to be in awe of the Pens, that the Isles belonged in the playoffs, that's one I doubt the laid back Cappy has in him.

If he goes, he goes. Good luck in the future .No huge loss there.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:50 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW View Post
If I were a player at Maine, I would do everything I could to get out of his program if Cappy took that job. I couldn't respect a coach who deserted a up and coming NHL team that he helped build for a little security.
There's speculation that this summer or next, is the last on Cappy's deal. I don't see how anyone could accuse him of deserting the NYI, by looking for job security.

Wang/Snow want Cappy to stay? Well extend his contract and give him several yrs job security.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Thompson came from the AHL with a strong rep for developing young players. Last season, he led Bridgeport to it's first division crown. This season, Bridgeport missed the playoffs.

Weight's gotten props for being a good assistant coach, having the respect of the players. That speech he gave, ripping into the players on the bench, during the Pens/isles playoff series, where he's telling the isles not to be in awe of the Pens, that the Isles belonged in the playoffs, that's one I doubt the laid back Cappy has in him.

If he goes, he goes. Good luck in the future .No huge loss there.
Look at the turnover between last year's Bridgeport team and this year's. Totally different team. This year's Bridgeport team was even right there until the lockout ended, that's when they completely fell apart.

I also love how Weight is being touted as a great coach based on a fiery demeanor and a couple of speeches that turned a game or period around. What you don't hear/see (unless it was in-game) is speeches that are given when your team is down 2-0 going into the third and end up losing 4-0. You don't hear about them not because they didn't happen, but because they are then not talked about. Stan isn't running to the lockerroom to ask what was said in between periods in that scenario. But you bet he is when the Islanders come back from 2-0 against the Rangers.

There are have been just as many laid back coaches as fiery coaches. For every ra-ra Bill Parcells type there is a Chuck Noll who hardly raised his voice. Both types, can, and have been successful. Fact of the matter is, what makes coaches successful probably has less to do with demeanor and "motivational prowess" (lets not forget we are talking about grown-ass men), and more to do with preparedness, and the ability to implement a game-plan through the team. Guess what? We are not privy to that info.

We don't know **** about ****. We hardly have any of the information needed to make an accurate judgement. Furthermore, of the information we do have, its silly (and frankly arbitrarily)to assign the good to the assistants and the bad to the head coach, again based on snippets.

There have literally been posts like this (although I made these up myself):

Following a win:
"Thank god for Weight and Thompson, they are keeping this team afloat.'

Following a loss:
"Stupid Cappy, he's terrible."

Usually without any other type of evidence, but sometimes with flim flammy evidence such as bench demeanor added in.

Last edited by Renbarg: 05-22-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old
05-22-2013, 10:53 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Look at the turnover between last year's Bridgeport team and this year's. Totally different team. This year's Bridgeport team was even right there until the lockout ended, that's when they completely fell apart.

I also love how Weight is being touted as a great coach based on a fiery demeanor and a couple of speeches that turned a game or period around. What you don't hear/see (unless it was in-game) is speeches that are given when your team is down 2-0 going into the third and end up losing 4-0. You don't hear about them not because they didn't happen, but because they are then not talked about. Stan isn't running to the lockerroom to ask what was said in between periods in that scenario. But you bet he is when the Islanders come back from 2-0 against the Rangers.

There are have been just as many laid back coaches as fiery coaches. For every ra-ra Bill Parcells type there is a Chuck Noll who hardly raised his voice. Both types, can, and have been successful. Fact of the matter is, what makes coaches successful probably has less to do with demeanor and "motivational prowess" (lets not forget we are talking about grown-ass men), and more to do with preparedness, and the ability to implement a game-plan through the team. Guess what? We are not privy to that info.

We don't know **** about ****. We hardly have any of the information needed to make an accurate judgement. Furthermore, of the information we do have, its silly (and frankly arbitrarily)to assign the good to the assistants and the bad to the head coach, again based on snippets.

Following a win:

Following a loss:

Usually without any other type of evidence, but sometimes with flim flammy evidence such as bench demeanor added in.
The press and players have given Weight credit for work as an assistant coach. His high expectations and his attitude is part of what makes him a good coach.

Young players from Bridgeport and on LI, have given Thompson major props for his work with them. Is that the 'flim flammy evidence' showing Thompson's value?

Is it a coincidence that young inconsistent players, who showed little progress under Cappy and his previous assistants, are showing so much more under Cappy/Weight/Thompson?

I don't think it is.

When the lockout ended, many teams saw their young nhlers leave the AHL for the NHL. In the isles case, it wasn't even losing a bunch of top kids to the big club. It was losing 2-3 career ahlers and Hamonic ( who wasn't tearing things up in Bridgeport). It was also losing Nilson for 3 months to an illness.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:33 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
The press and players have given Weight credit for work as an assistant coach. His high expectations and his attitude is part of what makes him a good coach.

Young players from Bridgeport and on LI, have given Thompson major props for his work with them. Is that the 'flim flammy evidence' showing Thompson's value?

Is it a coincidence that young inconsistent players, who showed little progress under Cappy and his previous assistants, are showing so much more under Cappy/Weight/Thompson?

I don't think it is.

When the lockout ended, many teams saw their young nhlers leave the AHL for the NHL. In the isles case, it wasn't even losing a bunch of top kids to the big club. It was losing 2-3 career ahlers and Hamonic ( who wasn't tearing things up in Bridgeport). It was also losing Nilson for 3 months to an illness.
Yes, that evidence is extremely flim-flammy. They've said the same great things about Cappy. Why do you chooseto believe what they say about Weight and Thompson but not Cappy.

Personally, I'd take issue with offering anything that is relayed through sports media, but that's for another thread.

Younger players develop with age. Besides, whose blossoming under Cappy + Weight, that didn't play up to par the half year Cappy had the helm without Weight?

Old
05-23-2013, 01:20 AM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
Look what's happening to Craig Anderson. I don't think it was a nabby meltdown.
To Anderson's credit he stopped 49 of 50 shots in a double OT win in Ottawa's only win of the series. I may be old but I'm not senile- I don't recall Nabby having any game close to that. Nabby's a standup guy and I'm sure that he would admit that the Penguins series wasn't one of his better performances. We wouldn't have made the playoffs without him but without a decent backup he had to play too many games and was burnt out and it showed. The difference in the series was Vokun vs Nabokov and Weight's failure to correct the power play woes.

I mentioned in my original post about starting the year with DP as the backup. It should be interesting to see if Garth will finally address the Goalie situation by bringing in a non senior citizen like Roloson or Nabby for the starting job. I think it's apparent that he was trying to buy DP a few years to physically recover. It's time to get a permanent solution. The workload given to Nabby was a form of senior abuse.

Back to point- the team played substantially better in this playoffs against a superior opponent with untested youngsters than the veteran Islanders team under Teddy Nolan did against Buffalo in 2007. I'm proud of our team under Cappy's leadership and think that it would be a loss to see him go.

Last edited by original islander: 05-23-2013 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Spelling
original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 07:57 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Why would any NHL coach leave head coaching gig in the NHL to go to college? This isnt football or basketball. College hockey is vastly more irrelevant and the salary is much less.
Because it's much more secure and they don't get paid peanuts. The coach they just let go was making 200K and I'm sure they would have to offer Capuano at least that or more. NHL head coaching jobs are like musical chairs. Dave Quinn just took the BU head coaching job and he was ready to take the next step to the NHL. Of course Maine is not BU though.

bigd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:00 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
To Anderson's credit he stopped 49 of 50 shots in a double OT win in Ottawa's only win of the series. I may be old but I'm not senile- I don't recall Nabby having any game close to that. Nabby's a standup guy and I'm sure that he would admit that the Penguins series wasn't one of his better performances. We wouldn't have made the playoffs without him but without a decent backup he had to play too many games and was burnt out and it showed. The difference in the series was Vokun vs Nabokov and Weight's failure to correct the power play woes.

I mentioned in my original post about starting the year with DP as the backup. It should be interesting to see if Garth will finally address the Goalie situation by bringing in a non senior citizen like Roloson or Nabby for the starting job. I think it's apparent that he was trying to buy DP a few years to physically recover. It's time to get a permanent solution. The workload given to Nabby was a form of senior abuse.

Back to point- the team played substantially better in this playoffs against a superior opponent with untested youngsters than the veteran Islanders team under Teddy Nolan did against Buffalo in 2007. I'm proud of our team under Cappy's leadership and think that it would be a loss to see him go.
Here is the rub though. Anderson was arguably the best goalie in the league this year when healthy and he has gotten pummeled by the Penguins 3 out of 4 games.

Nabokov is a good not great goalie at this point in his career, if Anderson can't hold up against this team what can you expect of Nabby?

I think the bigger blame for the first round should fall on not taking those last 2 games against Philly and Buffalo. If we hadn't played the Penguins I don't think Nabby would be taking this much heat.

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:09 AM
bigd

Quote:
Here is the rub though. Anderson was arguably the best goalie in the league this year when healthy and he has gotten pummeled by the Penguins 3 out of 4 games.

Nabokov is a good not great goalie at this point in his career, if Anderson can't hold up against this team what can you expect of Nabby?

I think the bigger blame for the first round should fall on not taking those last 2 games against Philly and Buffalo. If we hadn't played the Penguins I don't think Nabby would be taking this much heat.
Do you really think we would have faired any better against Boston.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:58 AM
original islander

Quote:

But again the fact that we didn't have an adequate NHL backup like Montoya caused Nabby to be overworked and probably cost us a few points and playoff positioning. We gave away 6 points using DP. If we salvaged 3 points we would've been in much better shape. That is not on the Coach.

I still think that Cappy wasn't at fault for Nabby being tired. I wouldn't have trusted Poulin either after his first 2 games. I stand by my opinion that I'm proud of the team and Cappy's leadership. While I was wrong to place the fault mostly on Nabby I still think with a lesser workload he would've been fresher and we would be in round 2 and the whole league would be praising our organization including the coach. In my opinion he at a minimum stood on even ground with Bylsma and maybe out coached him.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 11:30 AM
ScaredStreit

Quote:

Following a win:

Following a loss:

Great post! Everything in this post was spot-on!

ScaredStreit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:57 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:

Following a win:

Following a loss:

Usually without any other type of evidence
, but sometimes with flim flammy evidence such as bench demeanor added in.
Ok, you lost me there Ren. No doubt there have been vacant posts like that, but the critique on the coach has been pretty pointed for the most part. Regardless of the good that occured in the second half of the season, things certainly fell apart in the first half. Did you really forget his inability to get the team prepped for a game? The bad line changes (this never went away, btw...)? Keeping guys out way too long? Not spelling Nabby more often? Piss poor line decisions at the end of games with 1 goal margins?

That all falls on him. IMO, the team improved despite him.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 03:52 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Yes, that evidence is extremely flim-flammy. They've said the same great things about Cappy. Why do you chooseto believe what they say about Weight and Thompson but not Cappy.

Personally, I'd take issue with offering anything that is relayed through sports media, but that's for another thread.

Younger players develop with age. Besides, whose blossoming under Cappy + Weight, that didn't play up to par the half year Cappy had the helm without Weight?
I'm racking my memory, trying to recall these props for Cappy. Comments from his players that they consider his influence to be a key to their development.
The players and the press have talked from Thompson's ST days, about what a hands on coach and demanding coach he is. In the AHL he had a strong rep for developing young players. You think someone between Bridgeport and LI he somehow changed his coaching style?

Isles were playing like crap against the Pens, looking nervous and like the inexperienced group they are. Weight's the one ripping into them on the bench, according to McKenzie saying don't be in awe of them, you guys earned this and belong here...Isles go on to win and you think that's flimflam indication of Weight's respect and influence?

Old
05-24-2013, 04:36 AM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
The coach they just let go was making 200K and I'm sure they would have to offer Capuano at least that or more.
if i had a ranch, id bet it that capuano is making more than 200 grand per year on long island.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 06:24 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
if i had a ranch, id bet it that capuano is making more than 200 grand per year on long island.
I wouldn't doubt that he is but 200K in Bangor Maine goes a long way. You would have to make a lot more just to live on LI.

Old
05-24-2013, 08:41 AM
stranger34

Quote:
I wouldn't doubt that he is but 200K in Bangor Maine goes a long way. You would have to make a lot more just to live on LI.
You have to make more than $200K to live on Long Island? That is news to me.

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 08:46 AM
Moulstache

I'm in the "Thompson/Weight combo is more important than Capuano" camp... I'd rather keep all three of them together, as they seem to complement each other perfectly.

With that being said, Cap has already commented on his possible departure, saying - "I'll see you at the draft...". Take that for what it's worth. I don't see anyone who's had any glimpse of success as an NHL coach leaving for a college program unless he was unwanted by any other franchise.. It's not like college football where there are true legendary programs in the US. College hockey is still a niche comparably.

Moulstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:20 AM
Brooklanders*

The University of Maine is a prestigious hockey school.
Cappy could run the whole show and be paid well. He wouldn't have to worry about job security.

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:20 AM
bigd

Quote:
You have to make more than $200K to live on Long Island? That is news to me.
Do you have a family and own or rent a house on LI?

Old
05-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Moulstache

Quote:
Do you have a family and own or rent a house on LI?
I own and have a family.. You do not need 200k income to live on Long Island.

Moulstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
I'm taking my girlfriend up to Maine. To Bangor...

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 01:51 PM
IwayMike

Cappy is making more than $200k. I would be very surprised if he made less than $600k.

IwayMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
I'm taking my girlfriend up to Maine. To Bangor...
LOL I saw what you did

Dutch Frost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Hipietro

Quote:
What?

Hipietro is online now   Reply With Quote