HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

HOF eligible in '06?

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2005, 02:00 PM
SharkGirl27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SharkGirl27
HOF eligible in '06?

OK I am having a major memory blank as to who is eligible next year other than Gilmour, can someone help me out please?

Follow up to that, how many think Gilmour is 1st ballot? I will reserve my vote until I see who else is eligible.

Old
05-17-2005, 02:49 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABSoluteDMB11
OK I am having a major memory blank as to who is eligible next year other than Gilmour, can someone help me out please?

Follow up to that, how many think Gilmour is 1st ballot? I will reserve my vote until I see who else is eligible.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...77&hubName=nhl

i'm hopin' for Dino

Old
05-17-2005, 02:54 PM
tmg

He's talking about NEXT year, the 2006 ballot. 2005 is wide open.

I can't find a list of 2006 eligibles, but I believe Patrick Roy, Doug Gilmour, and Phil Housley would be near the top of the 1st-time-eligibles (with Theoren Fleury and Kirk Muller as longshots).

Old
05-17-2005, 04:44 PM
SharkGirl27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg
He's talking about NEXT year, the 2006 ballot. 2005 is wide open.

I can't find a list of 2006 eligibles, but I believe Patrick Roy, Doug Gilmour, and Phil Housley would be near the top of the 1st-time-eligibles (with Theoren Fleury and Kirk Muller as longshots).

Wow! I can't believe I forgot about Roy, see what a season without hockey does to the brain I definitely say Roy and Gilmour out of that group. I think Theo will have to wait a while, not saying its necessarily fair, but I can't see them granting him HOF on the 1st ballot when he technically wasn't even cleared to play in the NHL again, and I don't recall him officially retiring, although I could be wrong there.

Old
05-17-2005, 08:19 PM
God Bless Canada

Roy's a lock for next year. The lock of all locks. Gilmour will get in, not necessarily on the first ballot, but his two-way play, grit, leadership and clutch play will be enough. Housley doesn't belong there, too much of a defensive/5-on-5 liability to get in. Richter didn't have enough seasons at the elite, and even in his elite seasons, he wasn't a Vezina finalist. Theo won't ever get in. As much as I loved the guy earlier in his career, a lot of very good seasons, not enough elite seasons.

Old
05-17-2005, 09:12 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
i think roy has to wait one more year before being eligible, dont you have to wait for 3 years before being elected in?

Old
05-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
i think roy has to wait one more year before being eligible, dont you have to wait for 3 years before being elected in?
You're right but he will be a lock when it comes down to it.

Old
05-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
That's also what I tought...

Old
05-18-2005, 01:55 AM
MS

Roy, Gilmour, Barrasso, and Housley are the top 4 guys for 2006. Theo Fleury would be a longshot guy. Pavel Bure would also be eligible, interestingly, if his career is indeed over.

Roy is a first-ballot lock, and Gilmour will probably go straight in too.

For 2005, I'm cheering for Howe and Ciccarelli, as well as the overlooked Russian stars like Makarov and Kharlamov.

Old
05-18-2005, 08:14 AM
SharkGirl27

planning way ahead here, and assuming a bit as well, does anyone have any idea what is available to fans on induction weekend? If Gilmour does go first ballot I would love to go to T.O for the ceremony if it would be worth it. Thanks for any info.

Old
05-18-2005, 09:23 AM
Rick Jeanneret

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS
Roy, Gilmour, Barrasso, and Housley are the top 4 guys for 2006. Theo Fleury would be a longshot guy. Pavel Bure would also be eligible, interestingly, if his career is indeed over.

Roy is a first-ballot lock, and Gilmour will probably go straight in too.

For 2005, I'm cheering for Howe and Ciccarelli, as well as the overlooked Russian stars like Makarov and Kharlamov.

I hope Barassao eventually gets in. Very underrated big game goalie who should be there. He might not because he hung on too long, but well see

Old
05-18-2005, 01:25 PM
MojoJojo

Sidney Crosby, if he retires now would he be elligible for 06

Old
05-18-2005, 01:27 PM
4check22

Send a message via MSN to 4check22 Send a message via Yahoo to 4check22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Absolutely. In fact, if Lindros would have simply retired after his stint in the Q, he would have been in the Hall a decade ago.

Old
05-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Jeanneret
I hope Barassao eventually gets in. Very underrated big game goalie who should be there. He might not because he hung on too long, but well see
His sureliness will turn off alot of voters.

Old
05-18-2005, 02:59 PM
Big Phil

Gilmour is no first ballot Hall of Famer in my mind. Yeah I think eventually he'll get in but he is very borderline for me. He had just TWO really good seasons. His lack of hardware is what concerns me. He only won a Selke in '93 and that's it. I wouldnt sulk if he gets in but lets not turn him into a Cam Neely poster boy and cringe at the fact that he isnt in there yet. For the record I'm not sure Neely even had enough elite seasons to get in there.

Old
05-18-2005, 03:22 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil
Gilmour is no first ballot Hall of Famer in my mind. Yeah I think eventually he'll get in but he is very borderline for me. He had just TWO really good seasons. His lack of hardware is what concerns me. He only won a Selke in '93 and that's it. I wouldnt sulk if he gets in but lets not turn him into a Cam Neely poster boy and cringe at the fact that he isnt in there yet. For the record I'm not sure Neely even had enough elite seasons to get in there.
Look who he's up against though.

The 2005 eligibles class is terrible, with no obvious canditates - Vernon is the best, but Gilmour is a more obvious HHOFer than Vernon. 2005 will probably see the best stragglers from previous years get in, like a Ciccarelli or Makarov. So it's highly unlikely there will be any real quality guys left over from previous years come 2006.

For 2006 there will be Roy, and after that Gilmour is pretty clearly the best canditate.

If Gilmour doesn't get in in 2006, then there's no way in gets in in 2007 or 2008, or maybe even 2009, given all the huge names who played their last game in 2004. This will be his best chance for a long time.

I don't like the guy too much either, but given existing standards he's a clear HHOF guy. 14th in all-time scoring, 7th in all-time playoff scoring. And he did have more than 2 really good seasons - 5th in league scoring in 1986-87, and was the #1 center and a huge performer on Calgary's '89 Cup team. He was one of the best all-around players in the league from 1986-94.

Most years I'd say he's not a first-ballot HHOFer, but he picked a good year to retire.

Old
05-18-2005, 03:27 PM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
And it will have been three years in '06.

Old
05-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Wetcoaster

The 2005 eligible class is pretty weak.

Remember this is only the list of retired players who become eligible this year - 3 years retired from playing. There is no guarantee that Gary Suter, Mike Vernon, John Vanbiesbrouck Kevin Stevens will be considered and the rest of those eligible such as Rick Tocchet, Pat Verbeek, Stephane Richer, Ray Ferraro, Bob Probert, Dave Manson, Benoît Hogue, Dmitri Khristich, Michel Petit and Joe Reekie are even more unlikely.

The newly eligible do not necessarily have to be inducted and perhaps none deserve to be given those previously passed over who IMHO have had better careers and are far more worthy than those four. These potential inductees who have been eligible in the past in the player category include:

Mark Howe (http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...p?player=10668)
Dino Ciccarrelli (13th all-time in goals)
Cam Neely
Glenn Anderson
Brian Bellows
Kevin Lowe
Andy Moog (superior to both Vernon and Vanbiesbrouck IMHO)

Old
05-18-2005, 04:02 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster

Remember this is only the list of retired players who become eligible this year - 3 years retired from playing. There is no guarantee that Gary Suter, Mike Vernon, John Vanbiesbrouck Kevin Stevens will be considered and the rest of those eligible such as Rick Tocchet, Pat Verbeek, Stephane Richer, Ray Ferraro, Bob Probert, Dave Manson, Benoît Hogue, Dmitri Khristich, Michel Petit and Joe Reekie are even more unlikely.

The newly eligible do not necessarily have to be inducted and perhaps none deserve to be given those previously passed over who IMHO have had better careers and are far more worthy than those four. These potential inductees who have been eligible in the past in the player category include:

Cam Neely
Glenn Anderson
Brian Bellows
Kevin Lowe
IMO Howe, Ciccarelli, and Makarov are three guys who could hopefully get in in the next couple years with the weak first-year crops. Neely too.

Bellows is not a HHOFer.

The thing that bothers me about Anderson is that he never showed he was a great player on a team that didn't have Gretzky, as all the other star Oilers did (Kurri, Messier, Coffey, Fuhr, Moog). He was only 27 when Gretzky was dealt, and only scored more than 25 goals once after that.

I'd disagree Moog is the superior/equal of Vernon. Vernon won a Conn Smythe, was a Vezina finalist and was the #1 goaltender on two Cup teams. Moog accomplished none of that, had fewer All-star nods, and their career statistics are nearly identical. I agree that Moog and Vanbiesbrouck are about equal, but I don't think either would be great HHOF choices. Moog never carried a team to a Cup, never won a Vezina, was never a post-season All-star, and didn't play on the Canada Cup teams in 84/87/91.

Old
05-18-2005, 11:00 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

Doug Gilmour should definitely get in on the first ballot, 1414 pts (13th all time), a Stanley Cup, a Selke Trophy and 20 seasons of grit and leadership. Also the fact that the HOF is in Toronto may help his cause...

Old
05-19-2005, 06:30 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster

Cam Neely
Glenn Anderson
Brian Bellows
Kevin Lowe

Howe is the best player of that group, and better than some already in the Hall including one of his contemporaries (Langway).

I think his lack of hardware (3 time Norris runner-up) and no Stanley Cup (2 Finals) will keep him out unfortunately.

Old
05-21-2005, 12:41 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo

yah, he could join phaneuf.

Closed Thread