HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Samuel Morin (2013, 11th, PHI)

Old
06-23-2013, 09:34 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Morin's in-depth "The Next Ones" profile at THW.

___

*2013 NHL Draft Prospect Index

**2013 NHL Draft Guide: The Next Ones
***2013 NHL Draft Rankings: The Next Ones Final Top 210

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:13 AM
S Bah

Sounds like Morin will be available at 30th, if so I want him at 25th just to be sure.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:56 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Flyers pick.

Said he wants to play at 230-240 lbs in the NHL. Dude is going to be a giant.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:45 PM
Highlander23

Flyers got a great pick, a bit earlier than i thought but he is going to be really good. he can do everything on the ice. i've been saying this forever, the guy has zero weaknesses

Highlander23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:48 PM
Kershaw

McIlrath 2.0

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:51 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
McIlrath 2.0
Exactly what I came here to say. I'm very glad he was gone before Toronto picked. He's very raw and I don't see him ever being anything more than a bottom pairing defenceman, most likely a career AHLer.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:09 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
Exactly what I came here to say. I'm very glad he was gone before Toronto picked. He's very raw and I don't see him ever being anything more than a bottom pairing defenceman, most likely a career AHLer.
Good thing the other posters don't seem to share your opinion.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:13 PM
SchennSational1022*

I really wanted Morrissey, but everyone is sleeping on this kid..

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:23 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

kind of so-so on the pick right now. i think he does have untapped offensive potential, as he has a very high hockey IQ and handles the puck very calmly and can really move for a kid his size. I definitely think he's an NHL defenseman. Whether or not he's a bottom pairing guy or a top pairing guy remains to be seen. Excited to see how he progresses at the very least.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:25 PM
Kahuna Nanu
Ninja Technique

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
McIlrath 2.0
And that isn't a bad thing, McIlrath is looking like a very solid pick at this point. I think this is a pretty solid pick for the Flyers. I like both of their early picks, Hagg has steal potential, as does Morin. Big, nasty D that can skate, key factor.

06-30-2013, 11:45 PM
DJB

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander23 View Post
Any NHL comparaison ? i always said that he looks like a tyler myers clone !!
Except that Morin loves to dish out punishing hits, lay the lumber, and destroy guys in fights.

Great pick by the Flyers...

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:49 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Supposedly the Habs wanted to trade up to 11 (Flyers pick) and draft him.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:15 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Supposedly the Habs wanted to trade up to 11 (Flyers pick) and draft him.
I know montreal really liked him, and that holmgren and bergevin were talking before the flyers made the pic. do u know what the offer was?

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:25 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Without offense he has very good NHL value as a tough minute shutdown defensmen, if his offense develops a little he has ridiculous value.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:44 AM
tml145

one of the best picks of the draft

this kid is going to beast in the NHL

tml145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:21 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

I'm thinking an intimidating #3/4 dman. Not what you go for at 11th overall and I thought Philly needed offense from the back end.

I like this kid, but not at 11th overall.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
I'm thinking an intimidating #3/4 dman. Not what you go for at 11th overall and I thought Philly needed offense from the back end.

I like this kid, but not at 11th overall.
IMO, Morin has the highest reward potential of all the remaining defensemen available at that point.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Mike Farkas
Grace Personified

I like him more than Zadorov. The big difference between the two is hockey sense. Zadorov doesn't have it, Morin does. Zadorov could probably play in the NHL next year or the year after, but he'll never be better than a third pairing guy because he doesn't understand the game. And the rest of his tools won't allow him to grow past the mental block.

Morin doesn't have big upside either, but because he has intelligence on top of great size and really good skating ability for a man his size, he'll be just fine. Needs to be able to make the right reads on the breakout passes and that's it. Zone exits are crucial for a reliable defensive defenseman. Doesn't have much in the way of offensive upside, doesn't need to. Fill out that frame, work on the small area footwork, get to the point where you don't have a problem eviscerating on-rushing forwards and you have yourself a #4 shutdown d-man. And there's nothing wrong with getting that where the Flyers drafted. Says this Penguins fan.

YouTube Channel: The Two-Line Pass - Hockey news, knowledge, video breakdowns and more: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKAI...52Q577Q/videos

Latest installment:Ep. 4 - Brady Skjei Evaluation
Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
I like him more than Zadorov. The big difference between the two is hockey sense. Zadorov doesn't have it, Morin does. Zadorov could probably play in the NHL next year or the year after, but he'll never be better than a third pairing guy because he doesn't understand the game. And the rest of his tools won't allow him to grow past the mental block.

Morin doesn't have big upside either, but because he has intelligence on top of great size and really good skating ability for a man his size, he'll be just fine. Needs to be able to make the right reads on the breakout passes and that's it. Zone exits are crucial for a reliable defensive defenseman. Doesn't have much in the way of offensive upside, doesn't need to. Fill out that frame, work on the small area footwork, get to the point where you don't have a problem eviscerating on-rushing forwards and you have yourself a #4 shutdown d-man. And there's nothing wrong with getting that where the Flyers drafted. Says this Penguins fan.

What is intresting is that the flyers know London very well, many connections and You would think that if they were going to pick this type of Defenseman it would be zad.

But they fell in love with Morin and I can see why. I disagree with you in that I believe he has a huge ceiling. He is literally just coming into his own in terms of offense. Next year is going to be huge for him. Rimouski is going to be quite good next year and he as the chance to emerge as the teams most important player. If he avg anything over .70 ppg we could have another Tyler Myers on our hands. If he fails to develop the Offense I think we have a Mobile Derrian Hatcher.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

In the behind-the-scenes webisode that the Flyers produced, the scouts talked about Morin's upside, and mentioned "if he hits it[his upside]...".

What type of upside do you think they are envisioning? One where his offensive game rockets up in his post-draft years (like Weber, Chara, etc.)?

The Flyers were/are obviously super high on him, just wondering what you think his max upside is "if he hits" (like the Flyers scouts were talking about).

Old
08-14-2013, 11:10 PM
Mike Farkas
Grace Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
In the behind-the-scenes webisode that the Flyers produced, the scouts talked about Morin's upside, and mentioned "if he hits it[his upside]...".

What type of upside do you think they are envisioning? One where his offensive game rockets up in his post-draft years (like Weber, Chara, etc.)?

The Flyers were/are obviously super high on him, just wondering what you think his max upside is "if he hits" (like the Flyers scouts were talking about).
Well, does such a thing that your describing exist in any tangible fashion? The beauty is in the eye of the beholder here. That's why I like to break my scouting reports down into "high ceiling" (what you are referring to) and "likely potential" and by "likely potential" I don't mean that he is "likely" to be this good, I mean, that he is likely to have this upside in ordinary course.

What if all of a sudden Morin pulls some Subban tricks out of his bag, flying down the ice, spin-o-rama, full stop, step and roof one? It's not technically impossible, but it's very unlikely given his tool set as of now.

I think his offensive upside is rather limited, he's not a smooth operator with the puck. One thing I do like about his puck skills is his ability to get the puck out of the zone, which, as I note above, is an underrated trait for a defensive d-man to have but yet it seems so simple...borderline obvious.

He doesn't even have Chara-level puck skills relative to age and development curve in my opinion, and Chara's offensive skills outside of his shot are relatively modest for a guy that's been one of the pinnacle rearguards of the era.

I think you're looking at #4 upside, personally. But anyone else could come along and say something completely different and not be wrong to any noteworthy degree...

Old
08-14-2013, 11:41 PM
do0glas

just based off of comments/reports etc this guy definitely seems like a boom/bust. the boom is pretty big though. correct me if im wrong, however.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:53 PM
Mike Farkas
Grace Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
just based off of comments/reports etc this guy definitely seems like a boom/bust. the boom is pretty big though. correct me if im wrong, however.
See, I think it's the opposite. I think this guy is probably an NHLer down the road, but his upside isn't really anything great. But no one is any more right than the other because, well, it's a guess...a guess of a varying level of education, my level may be best described as:

Old
08-15-2013, 12:01 AM
Cyborg LeClair
Thank You Mr. Snider

vCash: 400
My opinion of his game is that he's a pronger-lite without the shot as of now. He has a good outlet pass, and plays physical defense. Good active stick as well. I'm excited about his potential and his future on the Flyers

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 12:21 AM
Random Forest
aka hockeyfreak7

The thing holding him back from having elite upside (imo, of course) is his composure. He's extremely 'jumpy', for lack of a better word, and I think this flaw is most pronounced when the puck is on his stick. What is promising, though, is that he is barely 18 and will likely develop much more confidence in his abilities as he continues to both mature and fill out.

He's never going to be a quality two-way defender; I think most would agree here. However, I like the way he moves the puck in transition. Having a good first pass is half the battle between being strictly a stay-at-home defender and being in that next tier up where you can put up a decent amount of points while having a rock-solid defensive game (ie, Marc Staal). The other half the battle is skating ability, and it's clear this is a big strength of his. If his hockey sense can tie these two traits together neatly, I think he will exceed expectations as a puck mover.

It's tough to nail down his upside when he is so raw. Right now, all you can see are the tools. It's really tough to gauge what the toolbox looks like, though. If his toolbox (hockey sense) proves to be solid, then he'll be able to tie his talents together nicely and become something of a Coburn/Hedman hybrid (absolute ceiling). If he can't tie it together and simply gets by on his natural talents, he'll essentially be another Braydon Coburn. If he can't tie it together at all and his natural talent proves to be incapable of the NHL on it's own, he's destined to be another Keaton Ellerby.

Random Forest is offline   Reply With Quote