HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Samuel Morin - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2013, 11th overall, Philadelphia)

Old
08-14-2013, 11:29 PM
hockeyfreak7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg LeClair View Post
My opinion of his game is that he's a pronger-lite without the shot as of now. He has a good outlet pass, and plays physical defense. Good active stick as well. I'm excited about his potential and his future on the Flyers
I really see nothing Pronger like about Morin other than size. I grimace every time I see that comparison from Flyers fans.

Pronger was Pronger because of his extreme composure and hockey sense. That elite composure allowed him to slow the game down at will (the mark of a great defender). Without that, Pronger would not have been the dominant player that he was. And Morin does not have that. Morin's strengths are his combination of size, skating ability, and defensive awareness. I'd say he projects much closer to Coburn than to Pronger-lite.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:30 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
The thing holding him back from having elite upside (imo, of course) is his composure. He's extremely 'jumpy', for lack of a better word, and I think this flaw is most pronounced when the puck is on his stick.
Glad it's not just me. I watched him pretty extensively at the U-18s and he was treating the puck like it was a bomb on his stick. Lots of great physical tools and it's rare you see a big man move like him, but he's just got to improve his puck skills if he wants to be an impact player at the next level.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 08:06 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
I really see nothing Pronger like about Morin other than size. I grimace every time I see that comparison from Flyers fans.

Pronger was Pronger because of his extreme composure and hockey sense. That elite composure allowed him to slow the game down at will (the mark of a great defender). Without that, Pronger would not have been the dominant player that he was. And Morin does not have that. Morin's strengths are his combination of size, skating ability, and defensive awareness. I'd say he projects much closer to Coburn than to Pronger-lite.
Composure is something you can attain.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 08:31 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Glad it's not just me. I watched him pretty extensively at the U-18s and he was treating the puck like it was a bomb on his stick. Lots of great physical tools and it's rare you see a big man move like him, but he's just got to improve his puck skills if he wants to be an impact player at the next level.
Count me in as well. I have negative notes about his puck-handling and his ability to receive passes without the puck jumping off his blade. One might suggest he has a chronic case of the "bobbles."

YouTube Channel: The Two-Line Pass - Hockey news, knowledge, video breakdowns and more: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKAI...52Q577Q/videos

Latest installments:Ep. 2 - Cody Franson Overplayed His Hand

Ep. 3 - NHL Expansion Process
Mike Farkas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 10:51 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Composure is something you can attain.
Sure, and like I said, it comes with confidence. But Pronger's composure and confidence level were likely second to none in the NHL which is what gave him that ability to dominate and dictate the tempo of the game.

That was his signature. If you don't have that, then you are not remotely like Pronger or Pronger-lite.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Sure, and like I said, it comes with confidence. But Pronger's composure and confidence level were likely second to none in the NHL which is what gave him that ability to dominate and dictate the tempo of the game.

That was his signature. If you don't have that, then you are not remotely like Pronger or Pronger-lite.
I think the better skating Derian Hatcher comparision is the one I'd go with.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 02:04 PM
David Thicke

I see Morin this way:

Morin has the size, physicality, nastiness, plays right on the edge and will drop the gloves. The 6'-6 blueliner lays big hits, battles well in front of the net and along the boards in his zone. He's a good skater for his size, a shutdown defender with strong positioning that uses his long reach to cut down the passing and shooting lanes. Morin has worked extra hard with his coaches on his puck skills, his slap shot, one-timer and his first pass. He improved enough offensively and his poise with the puck in the second half of the season that his coaches played him on the team's first unit power play. He works extra hard on his puck handling, passing and getting his shot to the net through traffic along with his one timer. He's young and raw but has a good hockey IQ along with good offensive potential.

As a big lanky kid, he needs to gain muscle mass, strength and there are some normal skating issues, for a tall kid, like his reverse pivots, edgework, footwork speed and agility. Morin has some raw offensive upside potential and should be a good defensive defenseman in the NHL with top-four possibility that is going to make life difficult on the opposition. He's not going to be Pronger or Pronger-lite because there's only one Pronger so don't compared them. He's going to be Samuel Morin and nobody else. I really wish the Habs could have moved up to get him at the draft.

David Thicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Thanks to everyone who answered. As evident by the responses, he seems to be a pretty divisive prospect. I think he'll be an NHL player in some capacity, but the disagreements start when his offensive upside is discussed. How he progresses the next year or so will be a big indicator to see if he can someday be a top pair dman who can chip in offensively, or purely a shutdown 2nd pair dman.

He will be interesting to watch the next couple seasons.

Roo Mad Bro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Thicke View Post
I see Morin this way:

Morin has the size, physicality, nastiness, plays right on the edge and will drop the gloves. The 6'-6 blueliner lays big hits, battles well in front of the net and along the boards in his zone. He's a good skater for his size, a shutdown defender with strong positioning that uses his long reach to cut down the passing and shooting lanes. Morin has worked extra hard with his coaches on his puck skills, his slap shot, one-timer and his first pass. He improved enough offensively and his poise with the puck in the second half of the season that his coaches played him on the team's first unit power play. He works extra hard on his puck handling, passing and getting his shot to the net through traffic along with his one timer. He's young and raw but has a good hockey IQ along with good offensive potential.

As a big lanky kid, he needs to gain muscle mass, strength and there are some normal skating issues, for a tall kid, like his reverse pivots, edgework, footwork speed and agility. Morin has some raw offensive upside potential and should be a good defensive defenseman in the NHL with top-four possibility that is going to make life difficult on the opposition. He's not going to be Pronger or Pronger-lite because there's only one Pronger so don't compared them. He's going to be Samuel Morin and nobody else. I really wish the Habs could have moved up to get him at the draft.
Thanks for the write-up.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Sundinisagod
93 v2.0

Craig Button had Morin to Philly at 11 all along...

I'm far from an expert on Morin, but I think it was a good pick at 11 considering who was available...would have been something though if Risto and Nurse were still available and Philly took Morin over those two...they did have Morin ranked ahead of those two if I recall correctly since watching the video.

Sundinisagod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Weakside Lock
Trade Malkin???

I've watched him a handful of times. I don't see his offensive being game that high. I mean you could put him in offensive situations and he'll do just OK, but I don't think he'll put up high numbers.

08-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Roman Reigns

If he can turn into a mobile shutdown dman with a good outlet pass at the NHL level, I'll be happy. Any kind of offensive game would be a bonus. Im not completely ruling it out, as we have seen guys like Chara and Weber improve in that area, but they're the exception, not the rule.

Roman Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Craig Button had Morin to Philly at 11 all along...

I'm far from an expert on Morin, but I think it was a good pick at 11 considering who was available...would have been something though if Risto and Nurse were still available and Philly took Morin over those two...they did have Morin ranked ahead of those two if I recall correctly since watching the video.
Yeah, Button must have heard something about the Flyers liking Morin a lot.

The Flyers board would have exploded if they would have picked Morin over Ristolainen and Nurse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Holt View Post
I've watched him a handful of times. I don't see his offensive being game that high. I mean you could put him in offensive situations and he'll do just OK, but I don't think he'll put up high numbers.
It's because his offensive game isn't all that great at this moment. The hope, among the fanbase and management, is that he progresses really well and "hits his upside", and finds his offensive game as he matures as a player/grows into his body. He's really freaking lanky right now. Hopefully he gets more comfortable in his body as he fills out and stops growing, and gets more confident in his skills.

Lots of wishful thinking, I know. But if all else fails he can at least turn into a shutdown dman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
If he can turn into a mobile shutdown dman with a good outlet pass at the NHL level, I'll be happy. Any kind of offensive game would be a bonus. Im not completely ruling it out, as we have seen guys like Chara and Weber improve in that area, but they're the exception, not the rule.
Yep, agreed.

Old
08-15-2013, 06:26 PM
KJS14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Yeah, Button must have heard something about the Flyers liking Morin a lot.

The Flyers board would have exploded if they would have picked Morin over Ristolainen and Nurse.

It's because his offensive game isn't all that great at this moment. The hope, among the fanbase and management, is that he progresses really well and "hits his upside", and finds his offensive game as he matures as a player/grows into his body. He's really freaking lanky right now. Hopefully he gets more comfortable in his body as he fills out and stops growing, and gets more confident in his skills.

Lots of wishful thinking, I know. But if all else fails he can at least turn into a shutdown dman.

Yep, agreed.
I wouldn't have exploded if they took him over Nurse. I was praying that Edmonton would take Nurse, because personally I don't see him becoming anything more than Coburn. I would've exploded had we passed on Ristolainen.

KJS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Me, I am just pumped this kid is in the system

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 12:53 PM
04' hockey

Sam Morin

impressing in training camp, rumblings he could possibly make the team.....
BUT he just turned 18, wouldn't he be better off going back for at least 1 more year?

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

He was awesome last night against the Caps.

Most impressive play was on the PP when he stripped Erat (?) from behind and he fed a wide open Lecavalier on the right circle for a one time blast that resulted in a goal.

He is further along than I thought. Played almost 24 minutes last night, and played in all situations.

Old
09-17-2013, 01:47 PM
bennysflyers16

He just turned 18, so you have to send him back. But watching a kid that big skate so well last night was awesome to see. Scary to see how far this kid has come in 8 months

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 01:51 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

People love saying 'gotta send him down' If he can play, he can play. Period.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
He just turned 18, so you have to send him back. But watching a kid that big skate so well last night was awesome to see. Scary to see how far this kid has come in 8 months
In 8 months? Some of us had him ranked top 25 as a 16 year old.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 05:42 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

His offensive game is so underrated, would not be surprised to see him be a 40 point player a few times while being a NASTY mother ****er to play against defensively. This kid just has it all.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:53 PM
04' hockey

have seen him twice this training camp, for an 18 yr. old his on ice vision is amazing, his composure and anticipation is also. And he just turned eighteen
the BEST thing the Flyers can do is send him back and let him be an 18 yr. old and mature at a natural pace..... now I understand Montreal trying to trade up at the Draft to nab him.

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:58 PM
StrongIslanders90

watching him now and he has impressed the hell out of me....Makes McIlrath look like a joke....

Kids gonna be good...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:29 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
watching him now and he has impressed the hell out of me....Makes McIlrath look like a joke....

Kids gonna be good...
I still dont understand how the Rangers took McIlrath over Fowler, what a terrible pick. McIlrath looks pretty average right now to be putting it lightly.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:04 PM
NHL Dude 120

vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenbergg View Post
I still dont understand how the Rangers took McIlrath over Fowler, what a terrible pick. McIlrath looks pretty average right now to be putting it lightly.
A Rangers fan could correct me but the reason the Rangers passed on Fowler was because they had defensemen like him(Fowler) but they had a need for toughness on the back end. McIlrath is an SOB to play against, has size and is the guy Rangers want to "Clear the Garbage".

But lets not deviate from the thread Morin is an interesting prospect and it would be a mistake to rush him, he'll probably finish his junior eligibility and spend maybe 1-2 years in the AHL.

NHL Dude 120 is offline   Reply With Quote