HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Samuel Morin - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2013, 11th overall, Philadelphia)

Old
09-18-2013, 06:44 AM
Fearless Leaf*

vCash: 500
Really wanted him to fall to us at #21, he is the exact type of d prospect we lack in system. big, tough, can skate and move the puck, solid defensive game, and above all he is a RHD.

I think he has a good future ahead of him, should be a good 2nd pairing D for a long time.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 06:53 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1046
The only reason Morin gets compared to Pronger is because the media rammed it down everyone's throat since Pronger was at the draft.

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2015

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 07:53 AM
Akanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
Really wanted him to fall to us at #21, he is the exact type of d prospect we lack in system. big, tough, can skate and move the puck, solid defensive game, and above all he is a RHD.

I think he has a good future ahead of him, should be a good 2nd pairing D for a long time.
He's actually LHD.

Akanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:03 AM
Sundinisagod
the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
In 8 months? Some of us had him ranked top 25 as a 16 year old.
That's impressive considering he was ranked as a 2nd/3rd rounder at the start of last season.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:13 AM
Tripod

As a Flyers fan, I think he should be sent back for 1...maybe 2 years of Jr. Let him develop more offensively. He has impressed in the 2 games he has played but just imagine what 2 years of training and added weight will result in! He can be a rock next to an offensive guy on the 1st pairing.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Cyborg LeClair
Thank You Mr. Snider

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
The only reason Morin gets compared to Pronger is because the media rammed it down everyone's throat since Pronger was at the draft.
I make the Pronger comparison because I actually see the comparison. I've watched a lot of Pronger (not just his days in Philly) and I know how he played the game.

I see similar thinking, positioning, stick checking, board work, skating, poise, aggressiveness, and size in Sam Morin. I don't suspect Morin will ever be a Hart trophy winner, but I do think he'll be a Norris caliber defenseman one day if he develops well from here on out. He has impressed me mightily in his short time here. He's by far the best defensive prospect I've ever watched come through the Flyers organization

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 10:35 AM
Fearless Leaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg LeClair View Post
I make the Pronger comparison because I actually see the comparison. I've watched a lot of Pronger (not just his days in Philly) and I know how he played the game.

I see similar thinking, positioning, stick checking, board work, skating, poise, aggressiveness, and size in Sam Morin. I don't suspect Morin will ever be a Hart trophy winner, but I do think he'll be a Norris caliber defenseman one day if he develops well from here on out. He has impressed me mightily in his short time here. He's by far the best defensive prospect I've ever watched come through the Flyers organization
Woah, tone it down there bud. Morin will be good but not Norris good, not even close.

He is solid at everything but not exceptional at even one thing.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Woah, tone it down there bud. Morin will be good but not Norris good, not even close.

Would you have said the same thing about Weber 3 months after he was drafted? Yes, you probably would have. Morin just turned 18. Maybe we wait 1-5 years to see where his ceiling is. Morin was drafted higher than EVERY NORRIS TROPHY WINNER the past 12 years but 1. So who knows how he ends up. Wayyyy to early to tell.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 11:17 AM
ILoveStephanieBrown

Quote:

How do you know what he will be? How does ANYONE know what he will be? You tell him to tone it down, why should he? People who say he will never be a number 1D and Norris candidate are just as bad as the people who say he will be. The kid just turned 18 and has all the potential in the world but it can turn out a number of different ways. Yes maybe the guy is overrating his potential, but maybe you're underrating it? You ever think of that? Im anxious to see how he progresses this upcoming season in the Q. It will give us a hint as to whether he will develop any kind of offensive game or not. Tyler Myers and Shea Weber didn't breakout offensively until the season after their draft year. Oh and what do ya know, one of them is an annual Norris candidate and the other won the Calder. Im not trying to come across as a dick or anything, but don't tell someone else what kind of potential they should or shoudn't see in a prospect. Especially one as young as Sam.

ILoveStephanieBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 11:24 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
How do you know what he will be? How does ANYONE know what he will be? You tell him to tone it down, why should he? People who say he will never be a number 1D and Norris candidate are just as bad as the people who say he will be. The kid just turned 18 and has all the potential in the world but it can turn out a number of different ways. Yes maybe the guy is overrating his potential, but maybe you're underrating it? You ever think of that? Im anxious to see how he progresses this upcoming season in the Q. It will give us a hint as to whether he will develop any kind of offensive game or not. Tyler Myers and Shea Weber didn't breakout offensively until the season after their draft year. Oh and what do ya know, one of them is an annual Norris candidate and the other won the Calder. Im not trying to come across as a dick or anything, but don't tell someone else what kind of potential they should or shoudn't see in a prospect. Especially one as young as Sam.
I'm as big a Morin fan as anybody, but saying he won't be a Norris defender is an infinitely safer and more likely prediction than saying he will...

The Pronger crap needs to stop. He's big and excellent on the boards. That's where the comparison ends. Pronger had elite hockey sense. That's not a physical attribute, and to suggest that Morin's hockey sense is even comparable is just ridiculous at this point. And if you don't have Pronger's sense for the game (and not many people do), then you're nothing like Chris Pronger.

Pronger was big and he had a hard shot, but as far as physical attributes go, they wouldn't have won him a Hart or a Norris alone. It was all about his ability to dictate the flow of the game through his sense.

Maybe Morin will prove to have similar ability. I highly, highly doubt it simply because so few people in the world do. But don't act like it's a foolish statement to say that he won't. It's extremely likely that he won't.

EDIT: That being said, Morin has proven to have much, much better poise and composure than was advertised. He's an animal on the wall, and he makes safe plays to get the puck out of the zone and in transition. As far as I'm concerned, this was my worry about him at the draft. I felt you couldn't have a #1 defender without that ability in transition to move the puck calmly and effectively. My worries are rapidly disappearing, and I don't think it's at all foolish to say he has the potential to be a #1 defender.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 11:24 AM
SMantzas
Welcome to Jersey!

Quote:
Except the fact that only 3 people are nominated for the Norris each year and these players often repeat themselves.

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 11:39 AM
ILoveStephanieBrown

My point is he's way too young and raw for anyone to say what he will be. There's a wide variety of ways his career could go. So for someone to tell another individual to ''tone it down'' displays a level of arrogance. Respect each other's opinions even if you don't agree with them. Me, Im not saying what I think he will be because I honestly am not smart enough to know that and neither is anyone else here whether they want to admit to it or not.

Old
09-18-2013, 11:42 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
My point is he's way too young and raw for anyone to say what he will be. There's a wide variety of ways his career could go. So for someone to tell another individual to ''tone it down'' displays a level of arrogance. Respect each other's opinions even if you don't agree with them. Me, Im not saying what I think he will be because I honestly am not smart enough to know that and neither is anyone else here whether they want to admit to it or not.
I'm not going to respect an opinion that is double coated in bias and wishful thinking. I'd love for Morin to be the second coming, but you can't say, "Oh, well, he's too young and raw, so you can't rule it out!"

Couldn't I say that about my 15 month old nephew? I mean, can you rule out that he won't become a Gretzky/Lemieux hybrid?

It definitely wouldn't be "arrogance" to call me an idiot if I were to proclaim that.

Old
09-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 567
He was just sent down.

Good idea not to rush him.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 12:04 PM
ILoveStephanieBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I'm not going to respect an opinion that is double coated in bias and wishful thinking. I'd love for Morin to be the second coming, but you can't say, "Oh, well, he's too young and raw, so you can't rule it out!"

Couldn't I say that about my 15 month old nephew? I mean, can you rule out that he won't become a Gretzky/Lemieux hybrid?

It definitely wouldn't be "arrogance" to call me an idiot if I were to proclaim that.
Sure you can. You can't rule anything out at this point in his development. He could go back to Rimouski and have a breakout year or he could stay relatively the same.

Last edited by ILoveStephanieBrown: 09-18-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old
09-18-2013, 01:12 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Sure you can. You can't rule anything out at this point in his development. He could go back to Rimouski and have a breakout year or he could stay relatively the same.
So where do you draw the line? Couldn't you say that about Terrance Amorosa, too? Can you not say that about my 15 month old nephew?

You have to draw the line based on history and experience. History would suggest the odds are stacked against Morin ever challenging for a Norris. Nothing is impossible, but you have to respect what is likely and what is unlikely.

Also, I am fully expecting Morin to break out in Rimouski this year. That has nothing to do with the original contention which was that Morin has Norris potential simply because "you can't rule anything out".

Old
09-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Sundinisagod
the best

As a prospect, I'd say he's very comparable to Tyler Myers when he was drafted...Myers has had ups and downs since then but if he can build on his rookie season then there is certainly Norris potential there.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 01:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Eye Monster Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg LeClair View Post

Unfortunately, that's not saying a lot.

09-18-2013, 04:37 PM
hab 4ever

Morin is going to be a stud. I had him as my second defensemen in this year's draft, behind only Seth Jones. Those of us who follow the QMJHL saw him improve exponentially in the last two years and it seems he has kept on that trajectory this summer.

hab 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Azir
What's your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab 4ever View Post
Morin is going to be a stud. I had him as my second defensemen in this year's draft, behind only Seth Jones. Those of us who follow the QMJHL saw him improve exponentially in the last two years and it seems he has kept on that trajectory this summer.
I hope you are right about him going to be a stud. In his last few games, he has been fantastic in a shutdown roll. He did not look out of place while at the point either. If he can start putting up some points this year and continue to get stronger and smarter, those Pronger comparisons might not be as far-fetched as some people may think.

But, nonetheless he will probably need two more years in the QMJHL unless he has some kind of monster season and the Flyers feel he is ready for a NHL role. In all likelihood Timonen will retire. Coburn will probably be traded unless he can play really well to justify his contract. Meszaros might even be traded before this season starts. And Grossmann might be gone as well. So, come next offseason the Flyers will probably have at least 2 maybe 3 or even 4 spots open for competition. It seems like there are some good free-agent defenseman on the market so, I have a feeling the Flyers will target 1. Hagg might be ready for the NHL next season. And Lauridsen and Alt will probably also fight for a job. So we shall see...

Azir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:53 AM
HighOFFHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Actually not really. I saw the kid play twice this preseason and hes an absolute winner. Has the same tenacity that pronger carries. Hes loud, a really good skater for his size with a solid first stride. Has a pretty solid slap shot that needs work, but could definitely have an offensive upside. He also shows a strong ability to slow down the play from the point, something Pronger was amazing at.

I don't know if he is going to ever live up to comparison, but its definitely more valid than I initially thought. There was a moment where I saw him calling for the puck over and over again in the offensive zone. I mean he was begging for it. That is the attitude of a winner. This kid is going to turn heads when he finally is ready for the NHL game. If he was on a weaker team, he would of cracked the lineup. He outplayed several D-men in preseason. Very impressive for an 17/18 year old that has barely even filled out.

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:56 AM
HighOFFHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
As a prospect, I'd say he's very comparable to Tyler Myers when he was drafted...Myers has had ups and downs since then but if he can build on his rookie season then there is certainly Norris potential there.
Probably, but I have a feeling that Morin is more confident and mentally stronger than Myers. That plays a large part in early development as some players mature faster than others. In this case, Morin is way ahead of the curve.

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 10:12 AM
SchennSational1022*

I don't care how much his game resembles Pronger's, there is only one Pronger. Let the kid play is game and stop with these ****ing comparisons, it ultimately sometimes ruins guys careers. This guy is legit and is the first legit D prospect we've had in awhile, and thus causing the Flyer fans on here to love him, but just let the kid play his game. None of us are expecting 55-60 points a season when he makes the NHL, a solid breakout pass and about 35 points a season along with his stellar defensive play, his nastiness, which I haven't seen matched by any prospect in a very long time, would be incredible.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 04:01 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenbergg View Post
I don't care how much his game resembles Pronger's, there is only one Pronger. Let the kid play is game and stop with these ****ing comparisons, it ultimately sometimes ruins guys careers. This guy is legit and is the first legit D prospect we've had in awhile, and thus causing the Flyer fans on here to love him, but just let the kid play his game. None of us are expecting 55-60 points a season when he makes the NHL, a solid breakout pass and about 35 points a season along with his stellar defensive play, his nastiness, which I haven't seen matched by any prospect in a very long time, would be incredible.
35 points a season??? The same Samuel Morin that had 16 points in 46 games at the QMJHL level?

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 04:17 PM
Torgo

Quote:
You can probably say that about pretty much any prospect ever.

Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote