HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Staal worst trade in franchise history?

Old
05-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

vCash: 500
Jordan Staal worst trade in franchise history?

Think about how we gave up (1st+Sutter+Dumo), for a year where we didn't even make the first round.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:01 PM
jiboy
Patience

vCash: 150
good trade for the canes and the pens

jiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 1505
Jordan Staal is 24 years old. Making or missing the playoffs this past year has nothing to do with whether or not this trade was good.

Jury's still out if you ask me. I wasn't a fan at the time but decided to hold judgment until it becomes clear one way or another. I'm still not a huge fan, but one 48 game season isn't enough to make that claim as "worst ever."

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Unless I'm hugely misunderstanding things, if he stays with the Pens isn't he an UFA? We probably could have gotten him anyway this summer.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:22 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Ward View Post
Unless I'm hugely misunderstanding things, if he stays with the Pens isn't he an UFA? We probably could have gotten him anyway this summer.
There's no "probably" about it.

He could have signed with Pittsburgh on a shorter term (since the length of the original offer was the problem) and even if he didn't resign with Pittsburgh, Toronto and the Rangers were two teams that were confirmed as being in talks with Shero, with Minnesota and Buffalo rumored to also have been interested.

Assuming he would have come to Carolina if we didn't trade for him is ridiculous.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:25 PM
bb99

vCash: 50
Sutter, Dumo and a 1st wouldn't have helped the Canes make the playoffs after Ward went down. The questionable back ups and below average defense took care of that. JStaal didn't keep this team out of the playoffs.

bb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Right now, the trade exists as Jordan Staal for Brandon Sutter. Those are the only two pieces that have helped their NHL club. I understand the value of assets and what assets can provide, but the 8th overall pick in what might be a historically weak draft (think 1999 for example) is not like having dealt the 8th overall this year. Brian Dumoulin had a worse year than I expected as a rookie in the AHL this year from the perspective of being a potential two way defender. He might figure it out down there, but he's a long way from being viewed as a slam dunk to be an NHL player if that offense doesn't come along a bit better. He's playing in an organization with a lot of defensive prospect depth as well.

The general rule is that you never let a player hit unrestricted status if you can help it. Counting on Jordan Staal forgoing nameless millions to sign here would have been foolish. In a Staal for Sutter contest, it's Staal by a mile. Right now their performance is all we have to gauge this trade on. One on one. Had Sutter put up what Jordan put up this year, we'd be calling him poised for a break out season next year..... but expectations for a 50 point player being 70-80 points is going to be an occasion for disappointment no matter how you slice it. Especially when said player is coming from one of the most potent offensive teams in the game. Everything he did was right in line with his career averages except his shooting percentage.... the most accurate barometer of good fortune that one can formulate. Both brothers are volume scorers and not snipers. They score by getting the puck on net with a high frequency and taking abuse to get there. When the results aren't coming, the game isn't all that pretty the way they play it. I was admittedly miffed at how poor it seemed that Jordan was in the dots this year and the fact that he wasn't as dominant on the PK as he has been historically, but it can't be discounted what the lockout may have done to his timing in the transition to a new team. Sutter didn't exactly have a sterling year for Pittsburgh either.

File this one under far too premature to call and on a player with a 10 year extension kicking in, that's probably a good thing for us.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:56 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Oh. This again.

This is definitely the worst trade in franchise history if you just became a fan in May of 2012, I agree.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Definitely the worst trade. If the 48 games of this strike shortened season doesn't it prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt, I'm not sure what else could.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 10:22 PM
dogbazinho

In recent memory, I think Johnson for Gleason is worse. Yes I know the situation and Johnson isn't quite the player many predicted him to be but you can do better than a 2nd pairing D for a freshly drafted 2nd or 3rd choice in a given draft year. The add ons of a 3rd line player that didn't want to play for us and money saved just doesn't make this a decent trade.

Last edited by dogbazinho: 05-22-2013 at 10:28 PM.
dogbazinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 10:37 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Clearly the worst trade in franchise history is giving up the future Amazing Race winner for some guy name Radium. I mean who names their kid after an element anyway? Battaglia and his millions probably would have kept the team in Carolina.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Clearly the worst trade in franchise history is giving up the future Amazing Race winner for some guy name Radium. I mean who names their kid after an element anyway? Battaglia and his millions probably would have kept the team in Carolina.
Potentially could have been a new minority owner! We could have had some real spending power! Now he feels slighted, and is just gonna blow it all on meth.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 11:46 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Not. Even. ****ing. Close.

NOTHING will ever top the 91 Francis trade, AKA the trade that killed the Whalers.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 12:17 AM
impeach estaalo
timgleson

vCash: 50
If we're judging player worth based on how many playoff appearances they produce, then a 12th overall pick for Brandon Sutter is pretty terrible value. I mean, we gave up a 7th round pick for Marc-Andre Bergeron and got the same playoff results that we did out of Sutter.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 01:52 AM
rocky7
Run 'n' Gun

vCash: 266
much can be discussed about j. staal the player and his contract but i don't think the trade was a bad one for the franchise if put into proper perspective. as has been constantly expressed, eric staal, the staals, are the "pulse" of this hockey team. from the perspective of entertainment value, the staals are being marketed by the carolina hurricanes and for fans far and wide the staals are the carolina hurricanes. it's why they may ice jared and do everything possible to employ marc. it's ultimately business first and foremost. overall the staals are money makers for the franchise win or lose.

rocky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:52 AM
bleedgreen

Uhhhhhh.....what?

Assume you haven't been fan long. Like Dave mentioned, this franchise is associated with one of the worst trades in the history of hockey with the Francis trade. I remember a hockey news article over a decade ago that made a list of the worst trades ever, and most were much older trades. The Francis one was the only "modern" one that even made the list. Actually that article was probably late 90's early 00's so maybe over a decade.

Holy chicken little. What will you say if he gets 65 pts while playing solid defense next year?

Not to derail or start this right over again, but I completely agree the Jj trade is worse. IMO far worse but that's me. The jstaal trade isn't even a bad trade at all, let alone the worst.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 05:06 AM
FlyingSquirrels

The impending Marc Staal trade we will soon make will be worse than the Jordan Staal or any other trade.

Not only is Marc a Staal boy, but a defender! So he fits 2 needs..... 1) accumulate all Staals and 2) improve defense. Sather is salivating just waiting for JR to call

FlyingSquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 07:26 AM
Joe McGrath

Remember the comment about feeling like Marge Simpson? I rest my case.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 07:27 AM
rocky7
Run 'n' Gun

vCash: 266
it certainly will be interesting to find out what the franchise is prepared to do regarding marc staal.

rocky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 07:38 AM
Joe McGrath

Hopefully JR waits to see if Marc can actually see again before trading 4 1st round picks and Semin for him.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 07:42 AM
dammit100

Jan Hlavac says hello

dammit100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 07:45 AM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Trade Eric, Jordan and Jared for Malkin and Sutter.

Then the Pens can deal with getting Marc.

Metro Misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 08:00 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

This is a franchise that traded Francis and Samuelsson for depth players, then turned around and traded 3 first rounders for Glen Wesley.

So no. The answer is no.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 08:04 AM
StormCast

As one of the more constant, vocal critics of Jordan Staal's game (and not just this past season), even I would say this is a silly discussion.

However, I do think the contract value and term that was seemingly thrown together is worthy of debate.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote