HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jagr or Iginla at trade deadline day in hindsight

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2013, 08:07 AM
nmbr_24

vCash: 500
I am a Bruins fan and I say you go for Iginla, Jagr has been OK but Iginla would have been better I have little doubt.

The good thing about that deal not going through for the Bruins is that Matt Bartkowski is still on the team and with the Bruins having 3 veteran D go down in the first round he has been invaluable and has played like a vet.

Calgary really lost out on that deal, Bartkowski, Khokhlachev and a 1st would have been an excellent package for them, far, far better than what they ended up with in my opinion.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:10 AM
GermanTitov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Jagr has been very snake bitten. I think Iginla was the better pick up, besides being better for his team now, I think they can resign him and he can continue to help them out

If Jagr decides to play next year this is how it will play out, He will express interest in staying with Boston, then ultimately he will sign with the highest bidder. He will even sign with a non contender knowing that he will be traded to a contender at the dealine.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:13 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Pucks View Post
Just dropping by to say that since he hates Pittsburgh, I love Jagr. I can't wait for the ECF when Jagr goes HAM yet again on his former team en route to a sweep.
I'm trusting this guy. He hasn't been wrong yet.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:15 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Will be interesting to come to this topic and think about what you guys posted if Bruins steamroll the Penguins.

It would be nice to beat Iginla and see his reaction knowing he was minutes away from playing in Boston.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:18 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdan9 View Post
Iginla so far in points. But in overall play , Jagr gets the edge. If you go by how long you are in the opponents side of the rink vs your own end, Jagr rarely spends much time in the defensive end. He is the one usually beating up/tiring out the d's on the offensive end. This was especially the case when he was playing on the inferior third line for most of the playoffs.

Give Jagr the rest of the playoffs on the 2nd line the points will climb up.
Iginla doesn't have to spend a ton of time in the offensive zone when you score right away.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:18 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDigest View Post
Iginla chose the Pens because he liked the organization and has had chemistry with Sid. Has nothing to do with winning the Cup the easy way. His relationship with Sid was the difference maker. Don't be so upset, your organization messed up and said they had something they didn't (similar to losing a 3-0 lead in a series.)
Let's get something straight, the Flames told the Bruins that they had a deal, end of story, the Flames screwed up not the Bruins.

Also the Penguins have also blown a 3-0 series lead by the way.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:31 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanV View Post
Me, Jagr by a mile.
OP made the thread just to post that.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:32 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Messier View Post
I think Jagr has been buying his time for a seemingly inevitable match-up against the Pens since those two trades were made. I guarantee that his play will dramatically improve against the Pens.

To answer the question, right now, it's Iggy and not even close. Jumping over the boards takes a Herculean effort for Jagr at this point in his career.
o rly?

Old
05-23-2013, 08:36 AM
qc
Dare to Dream

vCash: 69
Iginla vs Jagr straight up? I'd rather have Iggy, obviously. I'm definitely not heartbroken over Iginla-gate though, and I like the players that we almost sent to Calgary.

All I know is that if Pittsburgh and Boston hold on, the ECF is going to be guuud.

"When asked what Peter Chiarelli thinks of the Penguins after adding Morrow, Murray and Iginla: "Well, theyre a lock now. Right?""

Old
05-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Bmessy

Iginla is playing better right now, and probably will the rest of the way. But as a Bruins fan I am happy with how the trades went out because we got to keep Bartkowski and the rest of that over payment package.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:39 AM
TCDaniels
Legen... Wait for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaYG View Post
Jagr.

I'd rather we have gotten Iggy, but I prefer having Bartkowski and Khokhlachev.
This is the right answer...

Especially now that Seidenberg / Ference (and even Redden) is out and Bart is playing so well for us.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:59 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

I think its pretty simple. At this point in their careers Iginla is the better more effective player but jagr was cheaper to obtain and is probably more fun to watch.
I rather have the better player

Old
05-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Random Oracle

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
Also the Penguins have also blown a 3-0 series lead by the way.
When?

Old
05-23-2013, 09:01 AM
roboninja
EYG

vCash: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipops View Post
Jagr. Intangibles and defensive play which stats can't show. He's played harder and with more heart than Iginla, its not Jagr's fault his teammates keep whiffing on his passes and blocking his empty net chances. If Boston had even a single above average forward, Jagr would be scoring at will.
One of the most ludicrous posts I have seen on HF, which is saying a hell of a lot. So I am going to assume sarcasm to keep my sanity intact.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:02 AM
NinthSpoke06

I mean if everyone could have got Iginla for that garbage package that Pittsburgh got him for then it would have made no sense to go after Jagr.

But for the Bruins the cost of Jagr ended up offering more value than Iginla would have as Bartkowski has been awesome and is easily an NHL quality 4th or 5th defensemen right now.

If the price were the same, easily Iginla.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:03 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I am a Bruins fan and I say you go for Iginla, Jagr has been OK but Iginla would have been better I have little doubt.

The good thing about that deal not going through for the Bruins is that Matt Bartkowski is still on the team and with the Bruins having 3 veteran D go down in the first round he has been invaluable and has played like a vet.

Calgary really lost out on that deal, Bartkowski, Khokhlachev and a 1st would have been an excellent package for them, far, far better than what they ended up with in my opinion.
It was Iginla who chose the PENS over the BRUINS and not the Flames. The Boston offer is better than what the Pens gave up which leads you to believe that Iginla will be tough for Pittsburgh to resign after this year

Old
05-23-2013, 09:05 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I have been so underwhelmed with Jagr since coming to Boston.

Iginla 100% so far.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:06 AM
NinthSpoke06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
It was Iginla who chose the PENS over the BRUINS and not the Flames. The Boston offer is better than what the Pens gave up which leads you to believe that Iginla will be tough for Pittsburgh to resign after this year
Doesn't change the fact that Calgary really missed out on a much better package.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:08 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:

Not sure I follow.

Why would the value of a trade made in March effect a player's willingness to re-sign in July?

Old
05-23-2013, 09:11 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Why?

Boston's offer was better but Agostino and Hanowski are decent forward prospects and they got a 1st in a deep draft.

Iginla chose Pittsburgh, he said he wouldn't be a rental, in an interview he said him and his family really like the city of Pittsburgh and he said it "feels like home".

I know hockey players talk and everything, but since he chose Pittsburgh, why wouldn't he re-sign?

Old
05-23-2013, 09:18 AM
jagrgodr

o m g we are only a few days away from a Jagr vs Pens eastern conference finals game.. you couldn't write it any better. When he went to Dallas i thought the only way Jagr would EVER see the penguins again would be in the stanley cup finals (since east didn't play west this shortened year) so when i saw that Jagr was traded to Boston i had a feeling we would see Jagr vs Crosby and the pens one last time. Would love to see Jagr yelling at crosby again!

Old
05-23-2013, 09:19 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC View Post
Iginla vs Jagr straight up? I'd rather have Iggy, obviously. I'm definitely not heartbroken over Iginla-gate though, and I like the players that we almost sent to Calgary.

All I know is that if Pittsburgh and Boston hold on, the ECF is going to be guuud.

"When asked what Peter Chiarelli thinks of the Penguins after adding Morrow, Murray and Iginla: "Well, theyre a lock now. Right?""
All I'm getting out of that quote is that Chiarelli is mad jelly.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:20 AM
TCDaniels
Legen... Wait for it

Quote:
I think its pretty simple. At this point in their careers Iginla is the better more effective player but jagr was cheaper to obtain and is probably more fun to watch.
I rather have the better player
Only problem is that if we had gotten the better player, we'd most likely be losing games right now...

Think about - we currently have THREE rookie defensemen playing...

DH who played (and played well all through the regular season - but was a scratch for the playoffs up to this point)

Tory Krug - who played well for Providence, but up till this point had seen a grand total of 3 NHL (regular season) games...

And, of course, Matt Bartkowski - who, again, played well for Providence, but up till now had seen action in a total of 20 NHL games over the course of 3 seasons...

Take away Bart, and as you can imagine we are REALLY screwed - scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to NHL Playoff-ready defensemen. We'd be relying on guys with literally ZERO experience who are REALLY not ready for prime-time.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:21 AM
qc
Dare to Dream

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Iginla chose Pittsburgh, he said he wouldn't be a rental, in an interview he said him and his family really like the city of Pittsburgh and he said it "feels like home".

I know hockey players talk and everything, but since he chose Pittsburgh, why wouldn't he re-sign?
Yeah, I think the real question is "why would he not re-sign?" I Can't think of one reason.

I think he stays and finishes his career in Pit. Dupuis and others may not be back, but Iggy stays imo. He's getting older and doesn't seem into the idea of playing for a 3rd team in 2 seasons. Also, he was in Calgary for a while and struggled adjusting to Pittsburgh's system in the early going. From what I've seen, Iggy keeps getting more and more comfortable with the coaching system and teammates.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:25 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Sorry but Jagr hasn't looked good in these playoffs, he finished the regular season stronger than Iggy but since the playoffs hasn't even been close to the game we've gotten from Iginla

The Bruins we're ready to pay a lot for Iggy and there is a reason for that. Bruins fans can say what they want but with Iginla their team is better right now

Closed Thread