HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official 2013 Draft Thread, Part II: 17th Overall

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2013, 12:37 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

vCash: 500
Is there any way to trade up for Lindholm, or is that only possible in the pure fantasy world of dreams?

Old
05-25-2013, 02:56 PM
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor

Why arent more people saying Pulock? Am I missing something?

Old
05-25-2013, 03:23 PM
Icelevel
Best Players Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehner View Post
very likely gone by 17

Old
05-25-2013, 03:31 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Would love to get him, likely would have to trade up though. If we were to trade up I'd want a forward anyways.

Old
05-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 View Post
I can't help but think that Colorado wishes they took Calgary's first for O'Reilly.
Calgary will be lucky if the 6th overall is as good as O'Reilly.

Old
05-25-2013, 03:46 PM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Why arent more people saying Pulock?
Because Morrissey will be better.

05-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Sens Mile

This is the one year where I hope we do not use our pick. We are so close to contender status, unload some of these prospects for real and substantial talent, not rentals. Make a serious run at someone like Yandle using that pick as a chip

Old
05-25-2013, 05:23 PM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
very likely gone by 17
It's hard to say. I think he falls into a group of guys, at least one of whom will last until 17.

I haven't watched as much this year as in years past, so this is strictly from looking at the various rankings out there, but I see a top ~17 consisting of something like this (not specific rankings);

1-5 → Jones, Mack, Drouin, Barkov, Nichuskin*

6-10 → Nurse, Lindholm, Monahan, Zadorov, Ristolainen

11-16 → Shinkaruk, Horvat, Domi, Wennberg, Poluck, Morrissey

Gauthier, Mantha, Erne, Fucale, Burakowsky

Last edited by N Bahn Ahden: 05-25-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old
05-25-2013, 05:27 PM
ARed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Mile View Post
This is the one year where I hope we do not use our pick. We are so close to contender status, unload some of these prospects for real and substantial talent, not rentals. Make a serious run at someone like Yandle using that pick as a chip
I've started thinking the same thing. We have an abundance of young talent at all positions. I think this pick could be used to leverage a trade and acquire an experienced Top 6 forward or a significant upgrade over Gonchar.

Old
05-25-2013, 05:37 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
very likely gone by 17
I think despite his potential, he's a likely faller in the draft.

late 94? Check.
polished player? Check.
doesn't need to bulk up? Check.

He'll fall for the same reasons Ceci did to us at 15.

Old
05-26-2013, 09:35 AM
db56

I would mind seeing one of Morrissey, Mueller, Mantha or Rychel

Old
05-26-2013, 11:34 AM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Valentin Zykov is a really interesting option at 17 too (could see him going before that though).

I know BMurr doesn't like drafting Russians but from all accounts this kid has his head on straight. He's one of the most liked guys in his room, has learned a bunch of english already and is learning french too. Best part is though this kid can score goals. Just named CHL rookie of the year too.

Old
05-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor

No Russians plz! Its not worth it, unless its a top 3 pick.

Old
05-26-2013, 11:56 AM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

They'd be crazy just to ignore someone because of nationality. Gotta do your homework. Everyone has to be an option.

I asked on the prospect forum about Zykov's Russian Factor. Here's what one guy said:

Quote:
It's already been said but it doesn't seem like it's that much of a factor if was willing to move to a smallish city in Canada to go play. He's also worked hard to learn some English and French.
He plays in Baie-Comeau

Last edited by WasTeD: 05-26-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old
05-26-2013, 12:09 PM
SenzZen

Count me in the camp for a homerun pick... if we're drafting with it, that is.

Old
05-26-2013, 12:14 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
They'd be crazy just to ignore someone because of nationality. Gotta do your homework. Everyone has to be an option.
I must say, I am starting to come around to the idea of not drafting a Russian. The reality is the KHL is a very wealthy league, and while it sure isn't the NHL when it comes to average salary and way of living, the reality is for young Russian players 19-24, the KHL is a much more lucrative league . The NHL with ELC and mandatory two-way deals makes it really tough, not to mention how tough it is for some of the Russians to be riding buses in the AHL, often without anyone who speaks their native language.

In particular, it is the exodus of so many Russians who come over to play junior here. Zharkov, as the most recent example, had been here for a few years and seemed like a safe bet. I mean, if he would ride the bus in Belleville, why won't he play in OKC for a few years? But the reality is now he is at an age where the KHL is a much more lucrative and they will guarantee him a spot. Tough for the Oilers to guarantee a guy like Zharkov anything, especially given their depth at wing. As such, back to Russia with cash he goes, perhaps never to be seen in NA again.

It seems to me many of the young Russians are coming over to the CHL to make the NHL a more bonafide option, which also increases their negotiating power with a KHL team. Plus, it gives them the OPTION to crack an NHL squad early, but if it doesn't work out, jet back home for a 7-figure guaranteed deal.

Murray was burnt by this already with Bashkirov (who was playing in the Q), and then again to a degree, with Filatov, for a 3rd rounder (reasonable risk, for sure, but one that hasn't paid off). I just don't see him going down that road again with Zykov in the 1st given we don't have a 2nd. Zykov will be offered a big deal in Russian if not this year, then the next, and the Sens aren't going to guarantee him a NHL roster spot any time soon. It would be a shocker to me if we took him in the 1st.

Old
05-26-2013, 12:19 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
I must say, I am starting to come around to the idea of not drafting a Russian. The reality is the KHL is a very wealthy league, and while it sure isn't the NHL when it comes to average salary and way of living, the reality is for young Russian players 19-24, the KHL is a much more lucrative league . The NHL with ELC and mandatory two-way deals makes it really tough, not to mention how tough it is for some of the Russians to be riding buses in the AHL, often without anyone who speaks their native language.

In particular, it is the exodus of so many Russians who come over to play junior here. Zharkov, as the most recent example, had been here for a few years and seemed like a safe bet. I mean, if he would ride the bus in Belleville, why won't he play in OKC for a few years? But the reality is now he is at an age where the KHL is a much more lucrative and they will guarantee him a spot. Tough for the Oilers to guarantee a guy like Zharkov anything, especially given their depth at wing. As such, back to Russia with cash he goes, perhaps never to be seen in NA again.

It seems to me many of the young Russians are coming over to the CHL to make the NHL a more bonafide option, which also increases their negotiating power with a KHL team. Plus, it gives them the OPTION to crack an NHL squad early, but if it doesn't work out, jet back home for a 7-figure guaranteed deal.

Murray was burnt by this already with Bashkirov (who was playing in the Q), and then again to a degree, with Filatov, for a 3rd rounder (reasonable risk, for sure, but one that hasn't paid off). I just don't see him going down that road again with Zykov in the 1st given we don't have a 2nd. Zykov will be offered a big deal in Russian if not this year, then the next, and the Sens aren't going to guarantee him a NHL roster spot any time soon. It would be a shocker to me if we took him in the 1st.
Zykov plays a north american game though. He doesn't really fit the typical KHL player mold. The fact he was willing to come over and play in Baie-Comeau is huge. Nathan MacKinnon wouldn't even play there....

I really think he's more of a Volchenkov mold then a Radulov mold the more I read about him. He screams dedicated to N/A

Old
05-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Zykov plays a north american game though. He doesn't really fit the typical KHL player mold. The fact he was willing to come over and play in Baie-Comeau is huge. Nathan MacKinnon wouldn't even play there....

I really think he's more of a Volchenkov mold then a Radulov mold the more I read about him. He screams dedicated to N/A
There was no real KHL option for Volchenkov when he was a teenager. It's a different world now. I can't say I have any reason to think Zykov will go over, other than it will probably make sense for him if he wants to earn more $'s.

And Zykov's skills will work fine for him in Russia, where he was good enough over there to be part of their national program. I have no doubt he will get strong interest from a KHL squad. For Zykov, the higher he gets drafted, the more bargaining power he has with both his NHL and KHL suitors. As such, he came to North America to increase his stock. Good on him for thriving, and living, in a tough market.

And my point isn't that he will go to the KHL for sure, or even that it's probable. But if it is a 1 in 5 chance, with all the risk surrounding 1st rounders as it is, do you risk him turning out to be great, but he plays in the KHL instead? If you can get a 1st round talent in the 2nd round, or that type of value to offset the risk (like Filatov), then I'm all for it, but talent being equal, I say no to drafting Russians in the 1st round.

Now if Nichushkin drops to 17, ala Cherapanov and Grigorenko, then count me interested. This is certainly possible.

Old
05-26-2013, 12:33 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Depending on how the draft goes, good chance he could be the highest ceiling player left. As a guy who wants to swing for the fences I really don't care if we take a Russian. I want a guy who could develop into a potential game breaker and Zykov fits the bill. If it were down to chosing between say Zykov and Lazar I would go with Zykov every time because he has much more potential.

Old
05-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Depending on how the draft goes, good chance he could be the highest ceiling player left. As a guy who wants to swing for the fences I really don't care if we take a Russian. I want a guy who could develop into a potential game breaker and Zykov fits the bill. If it were down to chosing between say Zykov and Lazar I would go with Zykov every time because he has much more potential.
I hear ya, and if the team really thinks Zykov as the best game breaker on the board, they may go that route. I just don't see it. Out of the Q, there are a ton of similarly talented and productive players. I mean, Mantha to me his a risky pick, but definitely has 30-40 goal upside at the NHL level. Even Redline, who don't like Mantha, acknowledge he might score 30 in the NHL some day.

In the Q, the real riser I think may crack to the top 40, perhaps even the late 1st, is Emile Poirier. The guy was absolutely fantastic down the stretch, and was equally productive in the Q, as Zykov. In fact, Zykov played with a very accomplished overager in Straka to help him along, where Poirier was clearly the best player on the Olympiques, leading them in goals, assists and scoring by a fair margin. He is also a tough hombre. Poirier looked like the best player on the ice in both playoff series most of the time, which is saying something considering the 2nd series was the loss to Halifax.

Old
05-26-2013, 01:28 PM
playasRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Bahn Ahden View Post
It's hard to say. I think he falls into a group of guys, at least one of whom will last until 17.

I haven't watched as much this year as in years past, so this is strictly from looking at the various rankings out there, but I see a top ~17 consisting of something like this (not specific rankings);

1-5 → Jones, Mack, Drouin, Barkov, Nichuskin*

6-10 → Nurse, Lindholm, Monahan, Zadorov, Ristolainen

11-16 → Shinkaruk, Horvat, Domi, Wennberg, Poluck, Morrissey

Gauthier, Mantha, Erne, Fucale, Burakowsky
If there's anything I know about the draft is that there will always be 1-3 "reach" picks. That means 1-3 of the 6-16 guys will likely be available to us.

Old
05-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Haag.

Old
05-26-2013, 01:34 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
I hear ya, and if the team really thinks Zykov as the best game breaker on the board, they may go that route. I just don't see it. Out of the Q, there are a ton of similarly talented and productive players. I mean, Mantha to me his a risky pick, but definitely has 30-40 goal upside at the NHL level. Even Redline, who don't like Mantha, acknowledge he might score 30 in the NHL some day.

In the Q, the real riser I think may crack to the top 40, perhaps even the late 1st, is Emile Poirier. The guy was absolutely fantastic down the stretch, and was equally productive in the Q, as Zykov. In fact, Zykov played with a very accomplished overager in Straka to help him along, where Poirier was clearly the best player on the Olympiques, leading them in goals, assists and scoring by a fair margin. He is also a tough hombre. Poirier looked like the best player on the ice in both playoff series most of the time, which is saying something considering the 2nd series was the loss to Halifax.
My only problem with Mantha is if he isn't scoring, he isn't an asset really to your team. Huge floater who only ever seems to try when he wants too. Between Mantha and Zykov I easily go Zykov again if I'm a GM but as we know, I'm not.

....OR AM I!?!

Naw, I'm not.

Poirier is an interesting prospect. If he's still around after the 1st I'd really consider getting an early 2nd rounder to draft him.

Old
05-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

vCash: 50
I like Zykov but isn't his problem his lack of speed? That could be a problem in our system.

Old
05-26-2013, 02:01 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
I like Zykov but isn't his problem his lack of speed? That could be a problem in our system.
He's not fast but he's not slow either. He's pretty average speed. It Latendresse could play games for us, Zykov would have 0 issues aha. Probably a bit better of a skater then Puempel was when we drafted him.

Closed Thread