HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Progress being made?

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2005, 11:49 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Progress being made?

not that it really matter, and over the last few days we've all likely ignored most reports out of boredom and some of us do not want to see anything other than an agreement has been reached, but supposedly there's been some progress and meetings are scheduled. Whoop-di-friggin'-do. Additionally, Bettman's starting to play hardball as some sponsors have a deadline of mid-June for a deal to be done before they decide to take their business elsewhere. Bettman said that if there isn't an agreement by then, there may not be any point to having a season. I don't understand that comment because to me, if one's deciding there's no point in having a season if an agreement isn't reach in mid-June, then I cannot see under any other scenario why there would be a point to having a season and thus there's no reason for NHL hockey.

Old
05-25-2005, 11:59 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Yea...if the CBA isnt agreed on by Mid June you can kiss another season (or at the very least half season) goodbye.

Old
05-25-2005, 12:04 PM
Levitate

Hockeybird has gotten some rumors that things are looking up, but he's stressing these are just rumors and he hasn't been able to verify them. I trust him more than I trust a lot of the stuff in the media, so for me at least that's hopeful. but again, just a rumor at this point and no verification

Old
05-25-2005, 12:31 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Bettman said that if there isn't an agreement by then, there may not be any point to having a season...
"...and scrap negotiations altogether until the union accepts the league's terms."

That's a dangerous statement to make. Personally, if 6/15 comes and goes with no resolution, I'll be asking myself just what I'm waiting for here.

Old
05-25-2005, 12:58 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
"...and scrap negotiations altogether until the union accepts the league's terms."

That's a dangerous statement to make. Personally, if 6/15 comes and goes with no resolution, I'll be asking myself just what I'm waiting for here.

I have no idea of whom Bettman thinks that he is playing hardball with. If he looks to have a scab league, he is still loosing his national TV contract and all of his sponsors. I agree, if there is not agreement by 6/15 and ESPN & other sponsors leave, what is the point? At that point, there may not be an NHL to come back to.

It still seems to me like Bettman is only interested in dictating terms and expects he NHLPA to come begging for his forgiveness. If he is trying to play hardball AGAIN and is not interested in a compromise, then he is truly cutting off his nose to spite his face.

Old
05-25-2005, 01:07 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
This is what I have been talking about when I said there has been absolutley no sense of urgency. This league is hanging by a thread.

Old
05-25-2005, 02:12 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

From what I have read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
not that it really matter, and over the last few days we've all likely ignored most reports out of boredom and some of us do not want to see anything other than an agreement has been reached, but supposedly there's been some progress and meetings are scheduled. Whoop-di-friggin'-do. Additionally, Bettman's starting to play hardball as some sponsors have a deadline of mid-June for a deal to be done before they decide to take their business elsewhere. Bettman said that if there isn't an agreement by then, there may not be any point to having a season. I don't understand that comment because to me, if one's deciding there's no point in having a season if an agreement isn't reach in mid-June, then I cannot see under any other scenario why there would be a point to having a season and thus there's no reason for NHL hockey.
they still have not addressed the key issues. They still have not talked/agreed to what the cap ranges will be, what is revenue, whether the contract year lost due to the shut down will be added back onto the players contracts, etc.
Once they address those issue, they can get out the pens to sign something. Until then, its all BS & trying to sway public opinion, perception.

Old
05-25-2005, 02:54 PM
Levitate

where have you been reading? i admit i'm not scouring the internet for news but basically as far as i know there hasn't been ANY info stating specifically what is going on in these meetings, so for all we know they might very well be discussing these things

Old
05-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Slewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
This is what I have been talking about when I said there has been absolutley no sense of urgency. This league is hanging by a thread.
I agree with your point regarding a lack of urgency. Both sides have spent most of the time playing 'chicken'. If both sides don't insist that the season begin on time this year , the NHL as we know it is over IMO....
BTW , the NBA appears to be heading down the same path as the NHL(potential lockout).

Old
05-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Levitate

Quote:
If both sides don't insist that the season begin on time this year , the NHL as we know it is over IMO....
in the long run this may not be a bad thing...i know some people actually want the NHL to fold because they're sick of how poor the level of hockey has gotten. they want it to fall apart and something better to take its place. I'm not really in that camp because it sounds like a lot of wishful thinking and "grass is greener" stuff, but I think it really points out the other problems the NHL truly needs to address. If they get a deal done, they also must make progress on making the game more enjoyable. and i somewhat hate to come back to this because it's almost a cliche at this point...but i think they're going to really have to start calling the obstruction penlaties, the hooking, the holding, etc. those things that slow down the game and create a mess of the game.

Old
05-26-2005, 12:55 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Meeting over for today...that was short..hopefully they started it at 8:00 but i doubt it.

Closed Thread