HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks fire Alain Vigneault, Rick Bowness and Newell Brown - Part II

Old
05-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Wisp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
They also anchored the Sedins down with the Edler-Bieksa pairing. In the regular season when the Sedins were with Hamhuis and Garrison they outscored the opposition by about 4:1 while 5-on-5. Instead of continuing that dominance in the playoffs, the coaching staff switched things up and fed an injured Bieksa and Edler tons of minutes with the Sedins. In fact, Garrison ended up with only about 2-3 more minutes all series with the Sedins than Corrado did.

The coaching staff's inability to recognize the effectiveness of Garrison (and Hamhuis to a lesser extent) at even strength is a pretty big mark against them. Bieksa should not have been playing nearly a minute more 5-on-5 per game in the regular season than Garrison and he absolutely should not have been playing 3.5 more minutes per game at even strength in the playoffs.
typically the coaching staff sheltered iffy d-pairings by playing them with the Sedins, like when they had Alberts and Barker as a pairing. Don't think we're putting our best foot forward when doing that.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:42 PM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
typically the coaching staff sheltered iffy d-pairings by playing them with the Sedins, like when they had Alberts and Barker as a pairing. Don't think we're putting our best foot forward when doing that.
There is only one way to shelter that pairing. Make sure it never exists, not even in dreams. Hamhuis and Bieksa have had chemistry before. I was laughing pretty hard when AV and co. finally put them together in game 4. AV was almost desperate enough to even play ballard, but decided against it after the pregame skate. My guess is that if Ballard played amazingly and the nucks lost that av would have been worried that the management would be asking him why he never put in ballard in the first place. If that scenario played out, it would be another point against AV. I hate AV.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:51 PM
Proto

vCash: 833
I know there's some debate about whether burning a year on Corrado's ELC will hurt in terms of contract value moving forward, but I have a hard time imagining we wouldn't all be laughing heartily at any other franchise that did that, then got their teeth kicked in four straight.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:57 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I know there's some debate about whether burning a year on Corrado's ELC will hurt in terms of contract value moving forward, but I have a hard time imagining we wouldn't all be laughing heartily at any other franchise that did that, then got their teeth kicked in four straight.
Oh definitely, that was an epic fail.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:01 PM
Linden*
[hello] :)

Quote:
Depends, if it is a highly touted player who will likely make a big impact in the next couple years then sure. Corrado is most likely going to be in the AHL next year, so I don't think his next contract is going to be big.

Imo if someone of Corrado's caliber has a year of their ELC used up by another team we wouldn't even be talking about it because it really doesn't matter.

Linden* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:07 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Depends, if it is a highly touted player who will likely make a big impact in the next couple years then sure. Corrado is most likely going to be in the AHL next year, so I don't think his next contract is going to be big.

Imo if someone of Corrado's caliber has a year of their ELC used up by another team we wouldn't even be talking about it because it really doesn't matter.
If they waste the last year of his 600k contract in the AHL, that still seems like a pretty epic waste of value. I think he'll end up in the NHL.

If I had to guess, Gillis will sign some junky #7 again like Joslin or Alberts, and the second someone inevitably gets hurt, waiver-free Frankie Corrado will be up with the big club. That's if he doesn't break camp with the squad.

I don't even know how it will shake out contract wise, but I do think most people would poke fun at another franchise that blew an ELC for one or two games over the minimum while having a 4.2 million dollar guy in the pressbox.

Old
05-30-2013, 05:07 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:

No, if one of our rivals did that and got swept, I'd be lmao'ing.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:14 PM
opendoor

I didn't see the big deal with his ELC before it happened and I still don't. Any possibility of him breaking out and commanding a large raise in 2015 is more than offset by the likelihood that they'll get him on a cheaper contract in 2 years rather than 3. It's not like this affects his UFA age or anything.

Tanev is a good example. If you could extend his ELC another year would you? I probably wouldn't because I think right now is the best time to get him on a relatively cheap multi-year deal.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Linden*
[hello] :)

We deserve to get laughed at because of the Ballard situation, we royally ****ed that up, but let's not get that confused with us playing Corrado.

So you guys are saying that if we had Ballard/Barker in and got swept there wouldn't be questions as to why we didn't ice the best lineup? Both Ballard and Barker are liabilities in their own zone, so I don't blame us for icing the best avaliable lineup.

I really don't think anyone gives two ****s about Frankie Corrado outside of Vancouver. Being forced to give an extra 500 000 or so on his next contract is really nbd.

Linden* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:17 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I didn't see the big deal with his ELC before it happened and I still don't. Any possibility of him breaking out and commanding a large raise in 2015 is more than offset by the likelihood that they'll get him on a cheaper contract in 2 years rather than 3. It's not like this affects his UFA age or anything.

Tanev is a good example. If you could extend his ELC another year would you? I probably wouldn't because I think right now is the best time to get him on a relatively cheap multi-year deal.
Yeah, this isn't really the type of player that will get a payday coming off his ELC whether it happens in two years or three.

That said, I do agree that people would be laughing their ass off if some other team did the same thing.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:22 PM
Dissonance

Quote:
I really don't think anyone gives two ****s about Frankie Corrado outside of Vancouver. Being forced to give an extra 500 000 or so on his next contract is really nbd.
No kidding. If Corrado ends up playing well enough that he can ask for $2 million+ in two years' time then that's a good problem to have.

This year's playoffs were a bust, obviously, but no self-respecting team should ever pass up the chance to ice the best line-up possible just to save a couple bucks a few years down the road. *That* would be a joke.

Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:36 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Yeah, this isn't really the type of player that will get a payday coming off his ELC whether it happens in two years or three.

That said, I do agree that people would be laughing their ass off if some other team did the same thing.
I think having a $4.2M 9th defenseman is the real joke of the situation.

IMO burning a year of Corrado's ELC is a defensible gamble even if he didn't play a minute of ice time. If he progresses into a top 4 defenseman over the next few years I think there's a good chance he'll earn less between now and becoming a UFA with a 2 year ELC than if he'd had a 3 year one. It also doesn't affect his waiver eligibility or his UFA age so I don't really see the big deal.

Old
05-30-2013, 05:46 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post

He probably won't, no, but 600k is outrageously low. Even if he doesn't get a big pay day, that salary is going to be a savings of least least 300-400k on any NHL quality player, which isn't nothing.

I also tend to think he more offensive upside than a guy like Tanev, so there's at least some chance he could see 2nd unit PP at some point if Gillis sticks to his plan to put some kids in a position to learn the ropes next year. All it takes is a bit of a hot streak on the PP and some percentage-driven points to cost the team a bit of money moving forward.

Plus as a rule I always like to see a young player get as many games as possible before his contract is up to get an idea of what the team is working with. Corrado is going to come into his next contract with less -- potentially significantly less -- than 100 games played. That makes it harder for the club to determine dollars/term that benefits them most.

But yeah, mostly I just thought it was kind of funny. It's not like he played much at all in the post-season. Maybe Gillis actually wanted to burn off that year for the reason you and opendoor have mentioned...

Last edited by Proto: 05-30-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old
05-30-2013, 05:49 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Maybe Gillis actually wanted to burn off that year for the reason you and opendoor have mentioned...
I can only hope so. If management actually thought losing a year of his ELC was a huge negative and still proceeded as they did, then...

Old
07-10-2013, 06:24 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Coyotes hired Newell Brown today. He'll join Dave Tippett and Jim Playfair on the bench.

Thoughts?

07-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Pseudonymous

My opinion, our PP was a joke and we had the pieces to have a much much better PP than it was. I didn't see any changes whatsoever when it was struggling. From the players chosen to the lack of of movement to the overall style, it was all a complete disaster IMO

Pseudonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:28 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Coyotes hired Newell Brown today. He'll join Dave Tippett and Jim Playfair on the bench.

Thoughts?
praised in 2011 for being the mastermind behind the best PP in the league....

ridiculed in 2013 for not being able to adapt and turn around an troubled PP with the same pieces that had so much success just a year and a half earlier.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post

ridiculed in 2013 for not being able to adapt and turn around an troubled PP with the same pieces that had so much success just a year and a half earlier.
Doesn't take long for other teams to figure out a PP with as little movement and change of personnel as the canucks PP

Pseudonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post

Seems to somewhat mirror the fate of a former Canuck head coach.

To be fair to Brown - team didn't have a true PP QB since Ehrhoff left.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Seems to somewhat mirror the fate of a former Canuck head coach.

To be fair to Brown - team didn't have a true PP QB since Ehrhoff left.
i think the drop was less on ehrhoff's departure and more on kesler being out of the lineup for extended periods of time

brown couldn't devise a successful pp scheme that didn't heavily rely on kesler and couldn't adjust when he was out of the lineup, which was a pretty big deficiency

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:33 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

It's hard to say how much Brown had to do with the PP struggles this year, if AV really had the final decision on the personnel that was put on those units - as was alluded to somewhere earlier.

But even then, what about the tactical part of it that should've remained his task? Plus it went cold over the 2nd half of 2011-12 and into the playoffs IIRC, and that would've been before such a change in responsibility took place anyway.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:46 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
It's hard to say how much Brown had to do with the PP struggles this year, if AV really had the final decision on the personnel that was put on those units - as was alluded to somewhere earlier.

But even then, what about the tactical part of it that should've remained his task? Plus it went cold over the 2nd half of 2011-12 and into the playoffs IIRC, and that would've been before such a change in responsibility took place anyway.
Would be nice to have insider knowledge of why a huge shot like Garrison's was relegated to the 2nd unit.

Especially since it was so clear our PP suckage was costing us.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote