HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks fire Alain Vigneault, Rick Bowness and Newell Brown - Part II

Old
05-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
Canucks media just loves arniel, probably know him already, and figure he would be easy to get interviews and comments from.

Elliott Pap ‏@ElliottPap 2m
Nux GM MIke Gillis on radio re coach search: "Scott Arniel will be considered absolutely." Arniel: "Definitely I'm interested." #canucks
If that happens I would absolutely call for Gillis to be fired.

This "anyone but AV" mentality is absolutely ridiculous.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Free Kassian

vCash: 500
Arniel deserves a courtesy interview. He's the highest-level coach remaining in the organization. If it gets to be more than that, I'll be concerned.

Free Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:22 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
Arniel deserves a courtesy interview. He's the highest-level coach remaining in the organization. If it gets to be more than that, I'll be concerned.
Yes.

Arniel's recent track record does not make me all that confident in him in an NHL coaching roll. I understand there is more to a coach than his record, but from what I've seen from Arniel while watching the Wolves, I'm very sour about him being a hiring.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:23 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post

Relax, just our delightful media string **** so they can get callers on the radio hits on their webpages and RT on their twitters.

Just remember that whenever you see speculation that is the goal, not trying to inform the public.

Stories Tales Lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:23 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
Canucks media just loves arniel, probably know him already, and figure he would be easy to get interviews and comments from.

Nux GM MIke Gillis on radio re coach search: "Scott Arniel will be considered absolutely." Arniel: "Definitely I'm interested." #canucks
While I agree that he's not the right choice for the job, it would be poor form for the organization to not grant him an interview, seeing as he's headed up the farm team for a number of years.

In an alternate reality, I'd be interested to see what Marc Crawford could actually do as the head coach of a team with competent goaltending, an ingredient that was always missing during the WCE Era.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:27 PM
Tiranis

They've said they're going to interview a ton of candidates. How would it sound if after that he dismissed Arniel who is already in this organization? Even if he's the least likely guy, you still give him a chance to interview for the job.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:28 PM
BC Ben

Ideally, we get a shot at Tippett, but if it turns out to be the second coming of Shane Doan (i.e., holding on for ever while other options get taken out...) we are going to be in trouble. Tippett's biggest advantage is that he understands the West and, more importantly, the teams we are now shacked up with in the division. He has proven to be able to adapt to the team around him and I feel he can once again get the most out of what we have here.

Boucher could find success here, but he would need to have assistant coaches that are (i) defensive minded, (ii) experienced in the West... ideally both. With Boucher, a second head coach type assistant would be necessary.

Ruff and Renney, who are both being touted as top options by the baffling professionals on tv (I shake my head), may have a small impact over the short term, but I would think that MG is signing his death warrant should he sign either of them as head coach.

Eakins, similarly to Boucher, would benefit from experienced assistants. I think he'd be an excellent choice with solid personnel under him (gently guiding him). Always nice to give a new coach that first job - just like the Nucks seem to give every rookie their first goal.

/rant

BC Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Yeah, that's what I meant. Nothing wrong with giving him an interview.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:32 PM
Orca Smash

As I mentioned on the previous page I expect its just a gesture by the canucks organisation since hes actively employed, I just dont get why the media keeps pumping him up as a good option. All i can decipher is the media knows him already and wont have any issues getting comments from him or getting to know a new coach on a personal level to ask questions, aka arniel makes the media's job easier.

Tony wrote an article how tippett, boucher, and ruff are completely wrong for the job, no mention of arniel being a bad choice. I just dont really understand the logic.

Then again the bc media never ceases to amaze to me.

Orca Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:47 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
While I agree that he's not the right choice for the job, it would be poor form for the organization to not grant him an interview, seeing as he's headed up the farm team for a number of years.

In an alternate reality, I'd be interested to see what Marc Crawford could actually do as the head coach of a team with competent goaltending, an ingredient that was always missing during the WCE Era.
Take a look at the Colorado Avalanche circa 1995-96

05-23-2013, 04:48 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
They've said they're going to interview a ton of candidates. How would it sound if after that he dismissed Arniel who is already in this organization? Even if he's the least likely guy, you still give him a chance to interview for the job.
I'd even give Arniel an interview. I'd tell him if he can bounce a ball 10 times in a row that the job is his. After the 9th bounce I'd kick the ball away, and walk out of the room.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:52 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickside View Post
the only noticeable change we'll feel is when sportsnet zooms in on the guy behind the bench and it's not AV

a coach is only as good as its players, and as gillis said yesterday...he'd like to have an upbeat, offensive team but sometimes you go with what you have.

AV and co. were the sacrificial lambs
Three 1st line C's, five 20 goal scorers, three arguably top pairing D-men and a slew of other good depth players to round out the roster, not to mention two No. 1 goalies... yeah, poor AV was given jack s*** to work with. Really being made the scapegoat here. Love this narrative.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:59 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Three 1st line C's, five 20 goal scorers, three arguably top pairing D-men and a slew of other good depth players to round out the roster, not to mention two No. 1 goalies... yeah, poor AV was given jack s*** to work with. Really being made the scapegoat here. Love this narrative.
Puts things in perspective. Thanks.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 05:00 PM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post

Yeah I was looking back at Crow's record...the guy is pretty much money for a mid .500 points percentage (.556 all-time). Canucks went from .354 to .506 with him literally overnight (although he sucked just as bad as Keenan in that first half-year). I dimly recalled that he did a good job but not that good. Then again, that was Burke's first year too.

Having said that, the question is if he has evolved as a coach. I don't think his old-school yelling and screaming ways will work but his passion would. I remember him saying he has learned a lot about handling younger players from Dallas.

But I would still rather go with a young fresh face with new ideas. That's what Gillis has been trying to promote in the team overall and it fits.

mossey3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 05:06 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Exactly this - they would be remiss if they didn't at least give him a chance, being the coach of your minor league team. Even if it's just to establish that he isn't that good of a coach like Team 1040 seems to think.

Rather ironic though, considering they thought watching Wolves games was a waste of their time. So I'd love to know what makes these guys experts all of a sudden?

Last edited by vanuck: 05-23-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old
05-23-2013, 05:11 PM
Free Kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
Yeah I was looking back at Crow's record...the guy is pretty much money for a mid .500 points percentage (.556 all-time). Canucks went from .354 to .506 with him literally overnight (although he sucked just as bad as Keenan in that first half-year). I dimly recalled that he did a good job but not that good. Then again, that was Burke's first year too.

Having said that, the question is if he has evolved as a coach. I don't think his old-school yelling and screaming ways will work but his passion would. I remember him saying he has learned a lot about handling younger players from Dallas.

But I would still rather go with a young fresh face with new ideas. That's what Gillis has been trying to promote in the team overall and it fits.
Yeah, I can agree with most of this. I hope Crow gets another chance in the NHL, just not here. IIRC, it was between him and Therrien for the Canadiens' job last summer before heading off to Switzerland, so it's not like he's burned all his bridges and needs to return to TV (please no) again.

Free Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 05:24 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Take a look at the Colorado Avalanche circa 1995-96
Pre-cap era? Gotcha.

We've been there, done that with Crawford.

Quote:
Ideally, we get a shot at Tippett, but if it turns out to be the second coming of Shane Doan (i.e., holding on for ever while other options get taken out...) we are going to be in trouble. Tippett's biggest advantage is that he understands the West and, more importantly, the teams we are now shacked up with in the division. He has proven to be able to adapt to the team around him and I feel he can once again get the most out of what we have here.
Plus we probably can't talk to him until his contract expires unless the Coyotes give him permission, which might mean other candidates we would have considered will be snapped up in the meantime.

Quote:

Definitely give him an interview. No candidate will know our prospects better than him. Did we really expect him to get our bare bones farm team to the Calder Cup finals like Eakins did with a deeper Maple Leafs system?

Quote:
Boucher could find success here, but he would need to have assistant coaches that are (i) defensive minded, (ii) experienced in the West... ideally both. With Boucher, a second head coach type assistant would be necessary.
I'm not so sure his offensive system will work out so well in a generally much more defensive Western Conference.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 05:24 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Yeah, I can agree with most of this. I hope Crow gets another chance in the NHL, just not here. IIRC, it was between him and Therrien for the Canadiens' job last summer before heading off to Switzerland, so it's not like he's burned all his bridges and needs to return to TV (please no) again.
Same. I've missed his Canucks homerism on CBC.

Old
05-23-2013, 05:49 PM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post

Definitely give him an interview. No candidate will know our prospects better than him. Did we really expect him to get our bare bones farm team to the Calder Cup finals like Eakins did with a deeper Maple Leafs system?

I dont think anyone was expecting that nor has anyone ever said that, but people did have concerns with how he used our own players in the farm system, and his decision making near the end of games with players he used in certain situations.

Last edited by Orca Smash: 05-23-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Orca Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:

Your 'Tippett or bust" mentality is absolutely ridiculous as well. I don't want Arniel either, but there are lots of good coaches out there.

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Pre-cap era? Gotcha.We've been there, done that with Crawford.
Have we though? This is a vastly better team than what Crow had to work with before.

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:04 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
true, but there are plenty of great candidates out there

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:08 PM
JetsAlternate

Did no one else think Newell Brown looked a bit like Michael Myers?

By the end of it, he was killing the powerplay!

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:13 PM
luongo321

Hodgson ^^

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:17 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
Unless Gillis pulls off a few miracle trades this summer and gets some big offensive type players...........this team will be at the bottom of the division ,next year.

Most of you laughed at my posts predicting that the Canucks would lose in 4 straight this year..........well damn.

No draft picks and a ton of under-performing primma donnas equals last place.

The Sedins aren't playoff type players..........look at their recent performance in Sweden.............15 pts in 4 games ,because they weren't getting hit like they do here.

Bieksa,Ballard and a few other overpaid D-men need to be traded to keep the young talent like Tanev.
So why are you a Canucks fan? Same thing said about the Sharks and look at how they're able to handle the Kings right now. Ridiculous.

The Kassian Train is offline   Reply With Quote