HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brad Richards Done As A NYR?

Old
05-23-2013, 02:19 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Richards is done. The Leafs shouldn't want him. Unless there is an non-disclosed injury, his skating has dropped off a lot. He is behind the play, and can't get to the areas needed to be a top player anymore. Plus, he's not physcial enough to play a checking role. Currently, Grabovski is the better player.
1 bad season does not mean a guy is done I still think Torts system doesn't suit him

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:27 PM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 518
So Brad Richards is essentially going to make about 42 million dollars for playing 2 seasons with the Rangers, if he is bought out?

year 1: 12 million
year 2: 7ish million (48 games out of 82 = .5853. 0.5853 X 12mil = 7.024mil
buyout: 23.76million (36 million owed. buyout is 2/3 of remaining contract. .66 X 36mil = 23.76mil)

42.76 million?

I've probably got his pay for this season wrong, as I'm not sure how the new CBA was actually written.

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:33 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
They wouldn't get stuck with the cap hit if he get's traded. Though I just remembered compliance buyouts negate cap hit so I guess there's not much incentive unless Dallas offers to take more salary than the Rangers would pay out in a buyout.
Yes, they would.

New CBA has cap-recapture clauses for contracts like Richards.

They'd get hit with a cap penalty for the cap-circumventing years that he played for the Rangers (the last two years).

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
So Brad Richards is essentially going to make about 42 million dollars for playing 2 seasons with the Rangers, if he is bought out?

buyout: 23.76million (36 million owed. buyout is 2/3 of remaining contract. .66 X 36mil = 23.76mil)

42.76 million?

I've probably got his pay for this season wrong, as I'm not sure how the new CBA was actually written.
Imagine If he plays great next season and gets another big long term-contract. He would make more cash that way.

Colorado Avalanche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:44 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
Could be a "cheap" way for the Blues to upgrade at center, but then again, Richards would probably work better in an offense-first system.
Stastny will be blues in a year.

Colorado Avalanche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 03:03 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
I'd take him in Buffalo. We were interested before. He's still one of my favorite players. We have more than enough cap space to get it done. Although I don't know how he'd feel about coming to a team in a rebuild.

Would like him in Chicago too but it'd be hard to fit him under the cap. Too many players to re-sign.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 03:04 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil68 View Post
Trade Richards and for one of Calgary's first round draft picks
**** no. With Weiss/Roy/Ribiero/Bozak on the FA market this summer, why give up a 1st in a strong draft for a guy who's on a brutal contract?

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 03:08 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Imagine If he plays great next season and gets another big long term-contract. He would make more cash that way.
Brad Richards, trolling the Rangers and the rest of the NHL.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 03:32 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timani View Post
So you hate Jamie Benn, especially after the season he just had, but would welcome back Brad with open arms? Do you even like the Stars or any of the players?

For the record, I would take Brad and let him center Loui again, as that combo seemed to work really well.
I think FrailSwan's reply was satisfactory enough as a response to this.

I'm disappointed in the fact that the organization has to ride a guy who unfortunately is following in the footsteps of Mike Modano and trying again to put laurels on a guy who doesn't seem to be a really good leader.

But anyway, hate?

Not particularly.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 03:41 PM
danaluvsthekings

Not that LA needs him, but we can still have a Richards, Richards, Richardson line. Do it!

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 03:45 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Everyone is going to say a cheaper Brad Richards is going to be perfect for their team.

So...he'll be perfect for the Sabres!

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 03:51 PM
apice3*

29 teams would take Brad Richards at 3 mil and 1 team is coached by a someone more focused on being a drama queen and getting the spotlight on his coaching decisions and press conferences than he is winning hockey games.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Badger25

Hoping for Toronto if they can't re-sign Bozak. But I think he's more likely to end up in the west with Chicago/St. Louis/Anaheim

Badger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 03:57 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post

42.76 million?

Richards received $8m of his salary this season as a signing bonus. So it's more like $8m + $4m * fractional season, or about $10.3m for 2012-2013.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Timani

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrailSwan View Post
FF didn't say anything about hating Benn? He's stating a fact. Benn is terrible on the dot, and a makeshift center that needs back on wing.

As for the last part, get a grip. He knows them well. Way to take everything out of context.
So let me get this straight. Benn sucks on the dot so he's got to move off? He can't improve as still a young hockey player, but B Richards has it all figured out so we need him back? I guess he was a touch over 50% this season, so he's better than Benn, but his overall game kind of sucked this year compared to when he was with Dallas.

I see FF trying to trade Benn every chance he gets, so he obviously doesn't like him as a hockey player. Sorry if "hate" was too strong a word, but you've read the same posts I have and that's fine, he doesn't like Benn and wants him gone, and you want him on the wing. What are your plans to get us not 1, but two Centers?

Anyway, I don't see FF support many of the Stars players, so I guess being a fan of the team is kind of hard on him right now.

Timani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:04 PM
DrDangles

I wouldn't take a chance on him if I'm a big market team, unless it's a bargain. He could just be a bad fit in New York, but he has done extremely well in smaller markets with no real pressure on him to produce. If he is bought out I would bank on him signing with Tampa for something like 3 yrs/10mil.

DrDangles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:05 PM
sommervr

Richards to Toronto for 3*4 mill and play with Kessel and JVR.

Basically we pay him Bozak money

sommervr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Timani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
I think FrailSwan's reply was satisfactory enough as a response to this.

I'm disappointed in the fact that the organization has to ride a guy who unfortunately is following in the footsteps of Mike Modano and trying again to put laurels on a guy who doesn't seem to be a really good leader.

But anyway, hate?

Not particularly.
I agree that I don't think Benn has done enough to be Captain. I would rather give it to Robidas and see how Benn approaches his future under new leadership, but if they give it to him, I'm going to support him and the team because I want my boys to succeed.

As for questioning your support of the Stars, I'll retract that. I just see so many posts of yours that are negative and responded in kind. My bad.

Specifically with regard to Brad Richards though, it seemed like you were bashing Benn but giving BRich a free pass, and I just didn't see the point. Benn ain't going anywhere, and I would still take Richards as a Top 2 Center and pair him with Loui to hold the fort until Faksa or another option comes along that is better.

Timani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:10 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timani View Post
So let me get this straight. Benn sucks on the dot so he's got to move off? He can't improve as still a young hockey player, but B Richards has it all figured out so we need him back? I guess he was a touch over 50% this season, so he's better than Benn, but his overall game kind of sucked this year compared to when he was with Dallas.

I see FF trying to trade Benn every chance he gets, so he obviously doesn't like him as a hockey player. Sorry if "hate" was too strong a word, but you've read the same posts I have and that's fine, he doesn't like Benn and wants him gone, and you want him on the wing. What are your plans to get us not 1, but two Centers?

Anyway, I don't see FF support many of the Stars players, so I guess being a fan of the team is kind of hard on him right now.
Benn had a lousy season defensively as well, and if he doesn't get back to last season's form the Stars need a better option down the middle. Being a fan doesn't mean supporting everything the team does and ignoring the shortcomings of the players, and when it comes to this season there was plenty to criticize.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:16 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
I don't think he will be bought out. There is simply too large a sum of cash remaining on that contract.

I could see him being traded to a team like Calgary who desperately needs a Top 6 C.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:20 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I don't think he will be bought out. There is simply too large a sum of cash remaining on that contract.

I could see him being traded to a team like Calgary who desperately needs a Top 6 C.
No trade clause, and the Rangers would have to eat a lot of salary anyway.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:26 PM
Suddenly7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
1 bad season does not mean a guy is done I still think Torts system doesn't suit him
I been thinking about this the other day. I think the reason some players are unable to perform when they sign somewhere else is because of the system they play in. This is the case in Richards I believe. Torts has been unable to find a solution to what teams are doing to Richards and his line this season.

Suddenly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:34 PM
firstemperor

Hoping Toronto gets him but I have a feeling he either goes out West or back to Tampa.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:47 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
Hoping Toronto gets him but I have a feeling he either goes out West or back to Tampa.
Honestly we don't really have room. Which is a shame because Brad was always one of if not my favorite player. Bias aside Richards always has and always will be top 6 or bust. Which really wasn't a problem because for most of his career he was a legit number 1 center/star player. If this isn't some nagging injury that is screwing his game up something fierce then honestly skill wise he is done in the NHL, or should be at least.

If he's willing to take a pay cut, and by pay cut I mean around a million a year (Which I severely doubt he will.) Then I would be all for trying to see if he can go back to his old self. Lets be honest for a second, him signing for that little will never happen. All and all though I always felt the Lightning organization has always left the door open for Brad, and if he decides to don the Bolts uniform again that will be entirely up to him. All he has to do is say "I want to come back." and we will find a roster spot for him. As I said before though, our top 6 is stacked to the brim and over flowing with prospects who deserve a shot at those precious six spots and are trying desperately to knock a vet out of a job. Can Brad sustain that pressure and prove that he deserves a spot more than a young kid that is busting his balls for an opportunity? With what is going on in New York...I'll say I doubt it.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:48 PM
Jesus Teemu

vCash: 50
Why did Richards play so well for Torts in Tampa but not in New York?

Jesus Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote