HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Brad Richards Done As A NYR?

Old
05-23-2013, 05:15 PM
deckercky

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
Why did Richards play so well for Torts in Tampa but not in New York?
Torts had a very different system back then. I'm actually shocked that Torts didn't use a more up-tempo system this year since he had the horses to run with it. You don't need to play a defensive shell because you've got the best goalie in the league - having it should allow you to open up and not suffer for it.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 05:24 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings View Post
Not that LA needs him, but we can still have a Richards, Richards, Richardson line. Do it!

Imagine if the Kings were playing the Canes & they had the J.Staal-E.Staal-J.Staal line it would drive the announcer insane. "Staal takes the pass from Staal, Staal shots it wide but Staal picks up the loose puck. Staal turns it over to Richards who passes it to Richardson but Richards was ahead of the play & is offsides"

Last edited by DatsyukToZetterberg: 05-23-2013 at 06:28 PM.
DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 05:59 PM
boredmale

I wonder if Richards becomes a UFA again will Newport hold a circus again for his signing.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post

Imagine if the Kings were playing the Canes & they had the J.Staal-E.Staal-J.Staal line it would drive the announcer insane. "Staal takes the pass from Staal, Staal shots it wide but Staal picks up the loose puck. Staal turns it over to Richards who passes it to Richardson but Richards was ahead of the play & offsides"
Ha, that's good. I imagine the announcer would use first names, but its better your way.

I came here to say that if Brad Richards is bought out, there is ZERO CHANCE he ends up with less than a $4.5m cap hit. Somebody (Calgary, I'm looking in your general direction) probably pays him $5. With half decent wingers in an offensive system, I peg him for 65-70 points. And 65-70 points in this free agent market is certainly worth $5 million.

He was on pace for 60 this year with 34 points - that put him 50th in forward scoring and 21st among centres.

Is Richards having a crappy playoffs? YES. I'm just saying, if you're going into Capgeek expecting to slot Richards in for $3 like some have said, you're wasting your time IMO.

Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:06 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
via The New York Rangers Twitter account

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/337589604884557825

Odds just increased for the compliance buyout?
He's a total bust.
There was an insightful post on our rangers board about how he had a concussion or a hit before signing while still w/Dallas and hasn't been same since. Am hoping we can get medical without using amnesty buy out.

The only issue is not whether or not if he remains for only 1 more year does he go on 4th line or do a Wade Redden, the only ? to me is what would Rangers do in interim w/cap NEXT season?

After next season, if this recovery of salary is not applied to UFA Malkin, then surely it will mostly go to cover our own guys.

In the meantime, you could consider something like Bryan Bickell and Viktor Stallberg of CBH, both possibly cap casualties, signed ONLY for the 1 year, to showcase they deserve serious $$ by repeating and demonstrating good years this season were not fluke.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:14 PM
SLAPSHOT723
QU! Bobcats!

I really want to see him succeed somewhere else. I really liked him until he went to the Rangers.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:16 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedingschennzy View Post
Flyers call dibs on B-Rad at 1 year 5 million.

We get a center who is younger, better than briere, and really pissed off at the rangers for a year before we lock up G, Schenn, and Coots.

Side Note: Richards will be forced to wear #18 so that jerseys can come back into style
Uhm no we don't. We have other needs than another center.

Why would he be pissed of at New York? By doing this they would make him richer.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:20 PM
Captain Mittens*
Catquistador

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings View Post
Not that LA needs him, but we can still have a Richards, Richards, Richardson line. Do it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post

Imagine if the Kings were playing the Canes & they had the J.Staal-E.Staal-J.Staal line it would drive the announcer insane. "Staal takes the pass from Staal, Staal shots it wide but Staal picks up the loose puck. Staal turns it over to Richards who passes it to Richardson but Richards was ahead of the play & offsides"
That would be awesome

Captain Mittens* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:20 PM
Vitto79

yea he's done, Rangers will buy him out, I would just take the cap space and sign the RFA's McDonaugh, Hagelin, Stepan no problem..........resign Clowe and go for Weiss for half the price of Richards

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:27 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
He's a total bust.There was an insightful post on our rangers board about how he had a concussion or a hit before signing while still w/Dallas and hasn't been same since. Am hoping we can get medical without using amnesty buy out.

The only issue is not whether or not if he remains for only 1 more year does he go on 4th line or do a Wade Redden, the only ? to me is what would Rangers do in interim w/cap NEXT season?

After next season, if this recovery of salary is not applied to UFA Malkin, then surely it will mostly go to cover our own guys.

In the meantime, you could consider something like Bryan Bickell and Viktor Stallberg of CBH, both possibly cap casualties, signed ONLY for the 1 year, to showcase they deserve serious $$ by repeating and demonstrating good years this season were not fluke.
Legit number 1 center for most of his career, Playoff MVP, Cup winner.....how is he a total bust again? He's been playing like Crap for NYR, but calling him a Bust is saying he never has nor ever will reach his potential....Its pretty clear that he hit his potential and when he was in his prime was one of the best centers in the league.

Sorry for nitpicking.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:42 PM
Flukeshot
Hextall Activate!

vCash: 50
He can easily land $5m+ again, especially as Ribeiro, Elias, Bozak and Roy and maybe a couple others are the only proven top two line centres.

Last edited by Kahuna Nanu: 05-23-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:44 PM
David71

blame sather

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:44 PM
Hemsky4PM

With a CBA that permits teams to retain salary, creative trades of bad contracts are more likely than buyouts for players with many years remaining on deals. I understand the cap space argument, but owners don't stroke multi-million dollar cheques like it's nothing.

Hell, Richards and a pick for Grabo and Liles could work well for both teams, no? Rangers keep 1.5M of Richards' cap hit and salary.

I haven't heard anyone say WHY Richards now stinks. Doesn't appear to be injury. Partying? That can be remedied.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 07:00 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
Torts had a very different system back then. I'm actually shocked that Torts didn't use a more up-tempo system this year since he had the horses to run with it. You don't need to play a defensive shell because you've got the best goalie in the league - having it should allow you to open up and not suffer for it.
I agree with this. I can't think of a better time to try a run and gun or at least more up tempo offense than when you have the best goaltender in the league.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 07:08 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timani View Post
So let me get this straight. Benn sucks on the dot so he's got to move off? He can't improve as still a young hockey player, but B Richards has it all figured out so we need him back? I guess he was a touch over 50% this season, so he's better than Benn, but his overall game kind of sucked this year compared to when he was with Dallas.

I see FF trying to trade Benn every chance he gets, so he obviously doesn't like him as a hockey player. Sorry if "hate" was too strong a word, but you've read the same posts I have and that's fine, he doesn't like Benn and wants him gone, and you want him on the wing. What are your plans to get us not 1, but two Centers?

Anyway, I don't see FF support many of the Stars players, so I guess being a fan of the team is kind of hard on him right now.
Benn doesn't have really great center instincts. He's had 2+ years to improve on the dot. He's a good player and all, but he's still just a 65 on pace for 72 point player who is taking on the Modano playstyle.

The logical move is to trade Benn because of his massive value around the league, as opposed to Eriksson who is defensively responsible and is just as talented as Benn. If trading Benn can get us an actual set of centers or top flight talent in general, awesome let's do this. Either that or we just put him back on the wing and let him be a slightly better Michael Ryder.

I'll be hard on all of the Stars players given the past 3 years of suckitude. If being honest is being hard, well then I'm George Washington.

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 07:13 PM
TheHudlinator

God I hope so he isn't nearly as bad as he is being made out to be he had 19 points in his last 18 regular season games. He would be perfect for Calgary on a 2/3 year deal.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 07:15 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
He can easily land $5m+ again, especially as Ribeiro, Elias, Bozak and Roy and maybe a couple others are the only proven top two line centres.
Personally if I am the Rangers I hold on to him for a year then I think they might be able to trade him for a small return

Last edited by Kahuna Nanu: 05-23-2013 at 08:32 PM.
boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 07:30 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
How to be a NHL GM...by Glen Sather.
Might not want to be too smug as you suggest trading for Richard's contract.

egd27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 07:34 PM
tooncesmeow

Poor New York. On paper they should be cup contenders, about to be bounced in the second round after goign through 7 games in the first round..

tooncesmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 08:13 PM
Zirakzigil

vCash: 494
I think hes got 1 more year before they look at buying him out. Shortened seasons have weird effects on older players and I dont think the Rangers really want to go down that road yet.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 08:16 PM
Stephen

On one hand, a discount Richards might be a nice reclamation project, but on the other hand, too often these kind of guys seem like a good idea but end up doing nothing. Leafs once signed Lindros, Allison and Peca two offseasons in a row and they all stunk.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Kahuna Nanu
old bold and glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
Will enjoy laughing at the team that gives him $5M+.

05-23-2013, 08:38 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommervr View Post
Richards to Toronto for 3*4 mill and play with Kessel and JVR.

Basically we pay him Bozak money
Sounds like a plan. Wish it were that easy.

egd27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 08:43 PM
Flukeshot
Hextall Activate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Will enjoy laughing at the team that gives him $5M+.
True, but it will happen. (If bought out). So many teams need help at centre and look how giddy some fans are at the thoughts of getting him for 3-4m.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 2154
I don't think he's bought out if Torts is fired. If he's not, he will be though. Too much bad blood now.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote