Notices

2013-14 Training Camp/Preseason Thread

Old
09-19-2013, 01:03 PM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Would you or wouldn't you?

Alex Goligoski for Braydon Coburn

I don't know that Phili would even do it, but the Monteal question on the trade forum got me thinking.

Dillon-Coburn
Daley-Gonchar
Connauton-Robidas

Then hopefully by the end of the year ....

Dillon-Coburn
Oleksiak-Gonchar
Connauton-Daley

You sacrifice offense for sure, but you'd have some big boys patrolling the blue line. You could even have Nemeth as soon as next season. Dallas has the forwards to go a bit lighter on offensive D right now and go with 4 forwards on both units.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 01:06 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I'd probably have to consider it. I'd almost say no, though.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 01:15 PM
Bluesoma

Heika says it's a knee injury for Glennie.

Like I said in the GDT, 2 weeks is my prediction. Poor Glennie He was playing really well too.

Bluesoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 01:17 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesoma View Post
Heika says it's a knee injury for Glennie.

Like I said in the GDT, 2 weeks is my prediction. Poor Glennie He was playing really well too.
Glass half full ... assuming it is short ... this would be the first time it was a "quick" injury to start the season.

Hopefully he's pissed about it, and he takes it out on the AHL competition. I want to see him bounce back.

Old
09-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Starry Knight
A New Hope

Is there an address to send a get well soon card to?

Last edited by Starry Knight: 09-19-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Starry Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Bluesoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Glass half full ... assuming it is short ... this would be the first time it was a "quick" injury to start the season.

Hopefully he's pissed about it, and he takes it out on the AHL competition. I want to see him bounce back.
Well...Steps said he was limping earlier to the doctor. That tells me that at the very least it's not major. I may be optimistic saying 2 weeks but he seems a lot more focused the last few months that I think he'll try to get back quicker.

I do hope he takes it out on the AHL teams, it'll be fun to watch down here.

Old
09-19-2013, 01:45 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Man I feel for Glennie. The guy seem to have worked really hard this offseason and in camp.

MB94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 02:36 PM
BigG44

According to Nill it could be an extended time he's out. That means that fact he's walking on it at all is probably worst case scenario. My guess is ACL tear now.

You've got to be kidding me ......

Old
09-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Bluesoma

Damn...yeah...the extended time out sucks. I guess I'll change it from 2 weeks to 2 months. I doubt it's an ACL tear as wouldn't his leg at that point be basically useless? Unless we're talking like a minor tear or something.

Old
09-19-2013, 03:10 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Damn...yeah...the extended time out sucks. I guess I'll change it from 2 weeks to 2 months. I doubt it's an ACL tear as wouldn't his leg at that point be basically useless? Unless we're talking like a minor tear or something.
No. Walking on a seriously injured knee is typically the dreaded sign of an ACL. You can walk just fine. People actually opt out of surgery for a bit if you aren't a high paid athlete. The ACL impacts your ability to cut essentially.

My brother tore his ACL in an indoor soccer game. He waited to have the surgery until it was convenient with his work schedule. No impact on his day to day life essentially.

Old
09-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Bluesoma

Quote:
No. Walking on a seriously injured knee is typically the dreaded sign of an ACL. You can walk just fine. People actually opt out of surgery for a bit if you aren't a high paid athlete. The ACL impacts your ability to cut essentially.

My brother tore his ACL in an indoor soccer game. He waited to have the surgery until it was convenient with his work schedule. No impact on his day to day life essentially.
Wellllll ****......

Here's hoping we're wrong.

Old
09-19-2013, 03:18 PM
BigG44

http://nesn.com/2013/01/rajon-rondo-...string-injury/

I can't post parts of the story, but here's a pretty well known ACL injury where even the athlete couldn't believe it.

It's not 100% obviously though. Some guys can't walk on an ACL. I don't know if it's a unique thing to the individual or if it's the type of tear (I.E. maybe associated with another tear).

Unfortunately ... from what I remember of the video his knee slammed into the goal post sideways ... and that sideways impact on the knee is pretty common with an ACL injury.

Old
09-19-2013, 03:20 PM
Bluesoma

Welp, I'd say there's nothing left to do but wait to see if they release info on Glennie then.

Sucks because I was starting to come around for the guy. It's like he attracts injuries.

Old
09-19-2013, 03:35 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Oh Scott Glennie is injured again? Wouldn't have ever guessed that'd happen.

Cin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 03:38 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Quote:
Would you or wouldn't you?

Alex Goligoski for Braydon Coburn

I don't know that Phili would even do it, but the Monteal question on the trade forum got me thinking.

Dillon-Coburn
Daley-Gonchar
Connauton-Robidas

Then hopefully by the end of the year ....

Dillon-Coburn
Oleksiak-Gonchar
Connauton-Daley

You sacrifice offense for sure, but you'd have some big boys patrolling the blue line. You could even have Nemeth as soon as next season. Dallas has the forwards to go a bit lighter on offensive D right now and go with 4 forwards on both units.
Absolutely, without a second thought. All of a sudden you have a defense that can actually defend. I don't think there's a whole lot of doubt that these forwards are going to score. Gonchar can replace a lot of Goligoski's offense and if Connauton gets worked in to the fold the Stars might even have more offense from the backend than what they started out with just Goligoski alone. The one at the end of the year without Robidas looks even better.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 04:10 PM
Starry Knight
A New Hope

Just want to pipe in and say I have torn my ACL a few times in my life (forced me out of hockey) and you can walk on it fine but a lot of little things can pop the knee out again. Pivoting and trying to do the splits is what got me on my 2nd and 3rd times. If he actually has torn it he needs surgery or he'll end up me, lifelong knee problems.

Last edited by Starry Knight: 09-19-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Starry Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 04:19 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starry Knight View Post
Just as an aside if we are looking for a top pairing (right-handed) defenseman for the long term, I think Roland Mckeown is a person keep our eyes on. Towards the end of last year he was projected in the top 5-7 range but in the latest sets of rankings he is in the 10-15 range. I imagine this is the area we will be drafting in this year unless some miracles happen. Even then, I think he would be worth trading up for.
If we can't snag Ritchie or Draisaitl (looking highly unlikely right now), McKeown is my favorite behind those two at this point.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:43 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Absolutely, without a second thought. All of a sudden you have a defense that can actually defend. I don't think there's a whole lot of doubt that these forwards are going to score. Gonchar can replace a lot of Goligoski's offense and if Connauton gets worked in to the fold the Stars might even have more offense from the backend than what they started out with just Goligoski alone. The one at the end of the year without Robidas looks even better.
What concerns me though, is this even realistic for Philadelphia?

Several mainstream media members had the Flyers shopping him over the summer, and most had Edmonton heavily pursuing him so there is a good chance he could be on the block.

Would Goli fill a need for them though? On one hand, they could easily lose Meszaros and Timmonen this coming summer so yeah he could be a nice addition. On the other hand though, you'd have a roster this season with Streit, Timmonen, Meszaros, and Goligoski. That just seems like a risky mix.

Old
09-21-2013, 11:22 AM
BigG44

Likely preparing for assigning guys to Texas for the start of camp:

Quote:
Tim Wharnsby ‏@WharnsbyCBC

Put on waivers today: Petersen, Wathier (Dal), Caruso, Matsumoto, Rallo, Timmins (Fla), Desjardins, Helenius, (TBL), Stoa, Wellman (Wsh)..
If that's the case they could be giving an extended look to guys like Sceviour, Morin, Mueller, Gazdic, and Gaunce.

Old
09-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Bluesoma

Not surprising. We'll probably see the rest of the AHL guys be sent tomorrow.

They should pretty much know what they have in Petersen and Wathier. The others played well enough to give them another game or two.

Old
09-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Bluesoma

http://starsinsideedge.com/2013/09/2...y-ten-players/

Thus it begins.

Old
09-21-2013, 02:45 PM
brinkmanjs

Quote:
No surprises here. Really liked Faksa and McKenzie's game during camp and preseason though.

brinkmanjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 06:03 PM
dookie88

Quote:
What concerns me though, is this even realistic for Philadelphia?
Coming in peace.

No, it's not realistic.
With Streit, Timonen, Meszaros and Gustaffson we have enough PMD.
We can't afford to lose Coburn, because despite his last season he's really needed on the defensive side of things.

So no, I don't think the Flyers are currently shopping Coburn and I don't believe they'd have interest in Gologoski, especially not with his contract.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Dundalis

Be nice if there was something better than this out there. Kid has style if nothing else. I so hope this kid is our next elite PMD after Zubov. His RH stick would be perfect next to Oleksiak as our future top pairing.

Dundalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
What's the odds Ritchie sticks?

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote