HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Could Roy pair MacKinnon and Drouin?

Old
05-28-2013, 05:33 PM
2 Weekes Notice

vCash: 500
Could Roy pair MacKinnon and Drouin?

Silly season is upon us so it's time for some more silliness. This is one I haven't seen speculated much.

Not a fan of Florida or Colorado, but I believe these things to be true:

1. Patrick Roy has an intimate familiarity with recent QMJHL players
2. Patrick Roy would like to build the Avalanche as he sees fit.
3. Florida is in serious need of a franchise center and covets a player of MacKinnon's caliber over the other top options in this draft.

With those in mind, how farfetched is it that Colorado, assuming they would take MacKinnon first, would trade with Florida for the second pick as well? The Avs have plenty of high-end offensive talent to deal from (Duchene, Landeskog, ROR), and perhaps Florida would be more interested in some of that instead of the rest of the non-MacKinnon talent in the draft.

I know I'm more than a little curious about how good MacK and Drouin would be together in the NHL, and Roy has plenty of scouting on them.

tl;dr - is either team crazy enough to do something like a Duchene for 2nd overall trade?

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 05:37 PM
N o o d l e s

Who would they look at giving up, though? You say the Panthers need a franchise center, the Avs only really have one in Duchene. ROR and Stastny are great players, but they're not franchise guys.

It's going to take A LOT to pry that number 2 pick from Florida's hands. Idk if Colorado has enough ammo to get that done. They don't have any valuable d men to offer besides Johnson, and if they're supposedly trading for pick number 2 to get MacKinnon and Drouin, they can't give up their only good d man. This would make sense if they were a lock to pick Jones at #1, then take MacKinnon/Drouin at #2, but I can't see them taking two forwards if they're going to have to deal Johnson, which would be likely.

I didn't even touch upon including Landeskog in this deal. That wouldn't make any sense. Would be dumb for the Avs to deal their young captain for someone who is uncertain at the NHL level. It would scream giving up to me, and that doesn't make any sense.

N o o d l e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

I don't see Roy going after both. Drouin is who he's rumored to be gunning for. We'd be crazy to go after both. Team would be decimated.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 05:41 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Weekes Notice View Post
tl;dr - is either team crazy enough to do something like a Duchene for 2nd overall trade?
Avs aren't doing that. Trade one of the best young players in the NHL for a prospect?

Roy may like MacKinnon and Drouin but Sakic still has final say and he's not going to trade Duchene.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 05:49 PM
Drij

nah, they should just trade for the 2nd and 3rd pick so they can draft all 3 players. lol

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 05:49 PM
schumway2

Had they not matched the offer sheet for ROR maybe they could have figured out a way to use the 1st and 6th pick to get both. Too late now.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 50
Not without giving up Landeskog or Duchene, which won't happen.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Avs would have to give something we simply cant give.

Cant give up Johnson because hes arguably our best defender.

Cant give up Duchene or Landy because they are our future and the faces of the franchise.

Avs For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 06:34 PM
JoemAvs

The only way to do that is by offering EJ ++ to Tampa for 3rd overall which could make some sense if we add substantially and if TBL does not see a possibility of Jones falling to them.
Draft MacKinnon first and hope that Tallon likes Jones more than Drouin (not unlikely at all).
Job done.
Is it worth it?
Probably not. We probably would have to trade Stastny for picks or prospects and give the return to TBL and than still add.
And our defense would be such a mess afterwards.
We would be the improved Oilers. Better forward core but worse D core. I mean Duchene, Landeskog, ROR, Drouin, Mac and PAP would make a pretty nice top 6.
But that defense core would be the worst ever...

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Vor
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
Avs would have to give something we simply cant give.

Cant give up Johnson because hes arguably our best defender.

Cant give up Duchene or Landy because they are our future and the faces of the franchise.
Cant give up duchene to have Mack and Drouin as two new franchise faces. Dont be silly.

If Colorado really wanted to do it, they could offer Duchene + Stastny (Stastny @$4m) or Duchene + Elliott/Barrie and id think Florida has a hard time saying no.

Then again the Avs should just draft Jones and call it a success.

Vor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 06:48 PM
Prairie Habs

I'm gonna go ahead and say Tampa are the biggest fans of this idea because Jones would miraculously fall down to the third pick.

I think if COL takes McKinnon at 1 then Jones would go second to FLA and they would deal one of their other young D for a young center. This would leave COL trying to get Drouin from TB which might be easier than getting him from Florida because TB already has a lot of nice offensive pieces. I don't know what COL what have to give up to get #3 though. Johnson + would be my guess but I don't know. I'm assuming they aren't going forward with Mac, Duchene, Stastny, and ROR all at C and ROR can't be dealt because of the OS, they don't want to give up Duchene, and they whole point was the get Mac so that makes Stastny the odd man out. I don't see TB being interested in him but maybe they could add the return they get for him into the trade.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 06:51 PM
bleedgreen

There is no way floridas pick is worth duchene, let alone more than duchene.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 06:53 PM
B A T M A N
Risen

O'Reilly and a second round pick for 2nd overall.

B A T M A N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Avs44

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post
Cant give up duchene to have Mack and Drouin as two new franchise faces. Dont be silly.

If Colorado really wanted to do it, they could offer Duchene + Stastny (Stastny @$4m) or Duchene + Elliott/Barrie and id think Florida has a hard time saying no.

Your username confuses me...nothing about this post is reasonable. Duchene+????? I wouldn't move Duchene straight up for a prospect, let alone add.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 07:09 PM
Vor
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Your username confuses me...nothing about this post is reasonable. Duchene+????? I wouldn't move Duchene straight up for a prospect, let alone add.
I said that Florida would have a hard time declining Duchene + for the 2nd overall. There is nothing unreasonable about stating that.

Old
05-28-2013, 07:17 PM
Vikingstad
**** the King

Only way this is going down is if Avs pick Mackinnin with the #1, then trade Duchene straight up for #2, taking Drouin.

This sort of makes sense because if Florida wants a center badly, then Mackinnin their best choice is already off the board, leaving them with options of Jones, Drouin, or Barkov. OR they could speed up their build process by adding a #1C in Duchene right away. Not too far-fetched to think about it.

Then Tampa fans die of excitement of having a Jones/Hedman pairing for years.

Vikingstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 07:18 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post

I stand by what I said.

Duchene made a statement in the offseason and even during the season about his commitment to the organization through his play and his contract negotiations. He is not about money...hes about the Avs. He loves it here and the Avs love him.

I dont think Duchene is for sale...for almost ANYTHING let alone a prospect.

Avs For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 07:22 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravi83Oil View Post
Only way this is going down is if Avs pick Mackinnin with the #1, then trade Duchene straight up for #2, taking Drouin.

This sort of makes sense because if Florida wants a center badly, then Mackinnin their best choice is already off the board, leaving them with options of Jones, Drouin, or Barkov. OR they could speed up their build process by adding a #1C in Duchene right away. Not too far-fetched to think about it.

Then Tampa fans die of excitement of having a Jones/Hedman pairing for years.
Even though they are great players, there is no reason in earth why we would want to trade an NHL proven, PPG potential player in Duchene for a prospect that has never played in the NHL. To me it will get quite complex here and there and we should just draft Jones to make it simple.

Also I doubt we would see anything as easy as the Sedins, as both players noted that they were going to play only on the same team, where Burke got great deals.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 08:20 PM
Vor
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
I stand by what I said.

Duchene made a statement in the offseason and even during the season about his commitment to the organization through his play and his contract negotiations. He is not about money...hes about the Avs. He loves it here and the Avs love him.

I dont think Duchene is for sale...for almost ANYTHING let alone a prospect.
Oh i agree completely, its not often that a player is drafted by his favourote team and that team had their eye on the player the whole time. But theoretically, yes Duchene would have to go the other way to get the 2nd overall.

Old
05-28-2013, 09:03 PM
Phil68

If i'm the Av's o would after Barkov instead... After drafting Drouin!

Phil68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 09:04 PM
LotteryForLife*

If he offered up Duchene or Landeskog either team would have to listen but this is a longshot

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 09:08 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
O'Reilly and a second round pick for 2nd overall.
Avs have to wait till february b4 trading O'Reilly , because they matched the Flames offer sheet.

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Hans Landaskog

I'm starting to think Avs should have taken the Calgary picks.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 09:15 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Landaskog View Post
I'm starting to think Avs should have taken the Calgary picks.
from time to time i think the same thing , then it goes away .

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 09:18 PM
bleedgreen

Theres no way the second pick gets duchene. It would take the the pick plus to get him. How could Mack or drouin be better than duchene at this point, or assumed to be better in the future.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote