HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Everybody calm down

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HNS View Post
Trade Price now while he's still worth something....
Fire up the Luongo/Price trade machine!!!

Old
10-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Andy

as long as the defense as well as team defense doesn't improve, changing goalies won't make much of a difference. The Habs give up too many quality scoring chances in a single game.

Old
10-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I don't think that Lundqvist would've won the game for us last night. Maybe he makes some of the saves that Price let in but he'd just have let in others.

Look at the elite goalies in the league. Most of the time they play behind a great (sometimes elite) defense. It's rare to see goalies with the best numbers playing behind a bad D. Luongo did it and now we'll see if Thomas can. Usually though there's at least a good D out there in front of him.
That first paragraph is speculation on your part. I would be just as justified to say if we had switched goalies with TO last night we would have won. It's proof of nothing.

As for that laughable second paragraph well, I'm tried of hearing this crap that our defense is bad.

Is it the best? No. Is it elite? No. Is it among the better defense in the league? Yes.

Last year Price had one of the worst GAA and Save percentage in the league AND he was NOT playing behind one of the worst defence corps in the league.

Elite players make the players around them better. Average players make the players around them average.

You're trying to tell me that the Rangers', Kings', Red Wings' and a dozen other defence are vastly superior to the Habs? I don't buy it.

Your argument would be easier to swallow if we hadn't had Halak here. Halak also is not an elite goaltender but for a very short time in the playoffs he played like one behind an average defence whereas with the same defence Price was unable to do so. That showed me that an elite goalie will strut his stuff behind any defence. He may not always win but he will perform head and shoulders above his team mates.

Your next excuse will be to blame the system and Price has played under how many systems? 5? 6? And his eliteness has never emerged.

Anyway, despite my opinion about Price, it is only one game and I hope he can raise his level to a good - not an elite but a good - goaltender for the rest of the year.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:01 PM
CP31

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
You're trying to tell me that the Rangers', Kings', Red Wings' and a dozen other defence are vastly superior to the Habs? I don't buy it.
Yes, if you have any knowledge of the game it would be very easy to see how bad our d is compared to them. We also play in an offensive system, whereas Boston, LA, NYR play defensive, helping goalie stats.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:03 PM
WhiskeySeven
BargainUnbinned

Our D is not built for the Therrien-system. But I really don't think any D-corps in the league built for it. We would look much better with some adjustments, but y'know... Therrien.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Serious HABit

Carey Price was not good.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious HABit View Post
Carey Price was not good.
You didn't even see the game, you were in class while he stood on his head.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
Yes, if you have any knowledge of the game it would be very easy to see how bad our d is compared to them. We also play in an offensive system, whereas Boston, LA, NYR play defensive, helping goalie stats.
How about Columbus, Washington and Edmonton?

I've posted this once before, but now that the conversation is back here, I thought it worth posting one last time, a study of what happens when goalies change teams.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:12 PM
rockjngo

Carey Price has disappoint me every year in his career. He was promised as our savior since he entered the league. He didn't really won the job over Chrsitobal Huet, Gainey jumped the gun and traded Huet. Price lost his job to Jaroslav Halak who was drafted #212 overall. He would have lost his job if we had better goaltending other than Peter redlight Budaj. Hopefully Zachary Fucale will be the next one. I don't know what the market is now for Price but .895% isn't going to get you far in this league. I would look to unload his $6.5 million for 6 years contract if there's any taker. I don't think he's got a shot at Team Canada.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
How about Columbus, Washington and Edmonton?

I've posted this once before, but now that the conversation is back here, I thought it worth posting one last time, a study of what happens when goalies change teams.
Edmonton's goalkeeper let in 3 goals yesterday, while Washington's let in 6. Clearly every single one of those goals were the goalies fault yesterday.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Edmonton's goalkeeper let in 3 goals yesterday, while Washington's let in 6. Clearly every single one of those goals were the goalies fault yesterday.
Haha, well, ya, bad timing if we're looking at one game samples. I didn't see the Washington game, but Dubnyk was actually terrible yesterday, Edmonton should have won that game by a mile. But over a longer stretch, Dubnyk isn't that bad and Pavelec isn't that good. Dubnyk had a better save % than Price last season, and I don't think the Oilers' D had much to do with it.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:18 PM
izzy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
as long as the defense as well as team defense doesn't improve, changing goalies won't make much of a difference. The Habs give up too many quality scoring chances in a single game.
Andy - it's incredible how many people don't understand this.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
That first paragraph is speculation on your part. I would be just as justified to say if we had switched goalies with TO last night we would have won. It's proof of nothing.
Of course it's speculative. Where the **** did I say it was proof? I flat out said that I don't think any goalie would've made a difference. I said I don't think he makes any difference - and based on our play and the scoring chances given up last night, I'm comfortable with that opinion.
Quote:
As for that laughable second paragraph well, I'm tried of hearing this crap that our defense is bad.
Too bad. Get used to hearing it because they absolutely suck defensively. And that's not speculative.
Quote:
Is it the best? No. Is it elite? No. Is it among the better defense in the league? Yes.
Offensively? Sure. It's probably the very best. In our own zone and with defensive coverage though? Not on your life.
Quote:
Last year Price had one of the worst GAA and Save percentage in the league AND he was NOT playing behind one of the worst defence corps in the league.
He was a vezina candidate until the last two weeks of the season. Then Emelin went away and we played like crap. Price sucked against Toronto... but after that our whole team sucked. And it's not like Emelin is Rod Langway either. He's just the best we had.
Quote:
Elite players make the players around them better. Average players make the players around them average.

I don't care if you buy it. Our D sucks.
Quote:
Your argument would be easier to swallow if we hadn't had Halak here. Halak also is not an elite goaltender but for a very short time in the playoffs he played like one behind an average defence whereas with the same defence Price was unable to do so. That showed me that an elite goalie will strut his stuff behind any defence. He may not always win but he will perform head and shoulders above his team mates.

Your next excuse will be to blame the system and Price has played under how many systems? 5? 6? And his eliteness has never emerged.
Our D from a few years ago was actually pretty good. Losing Hamrlyk, Gill and having Gorges turn into **** is what's killed us. Totally different squads dude.
Quote:
Anyway, despite my opinion about Price, it is only one game and I hope he can raise his level to a good - not an elite but a good - goaltender for the rest of the year.
Subban is the only really good defender we have. Please tell me where you disagree 'cause I'd love to hear it.

Subban: Great all-around defender, doesn't get enough icetime.
Markov: Very creative. Maybe the best PP guy in the league. Slow, defensive liability
Diaz: Creative, defensive liability, soft as a marshmallow.
Gorges: Seriously... wtf happened to this guy?
Bouillion: Stands up for his teammates, has heart. Can't play hockey.
Tinordi: Raw rookie. Great future but is a total X factor right now.

That's our ****ing defense dude. With the puck we've got three creative guys. Without it we're disastrous. And as I said today Bouillion might has well been playing for the other team.

It's not that our blueline has no talent dude... nobody said this. It's just very one dimensional. We don't have that shutdown guy you can lean on and it kills us. We've always had good D and we used to struggle to score goals. Now that's been turned on it's head. We can score but we can't defend. You can blame the goalie but I'm pretty sure if we had a Cobourn guy as a number 2 or 3 guy we'd be in great shape. Diaz and Markov together is disastrous for us. Markov is a defensive liability now.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:29 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFC View Post
Lol are you kidding me? This happens all the time and it has happened to the Brodeurs, Roys and Haseks of the past. Just look at Crawford last night, he had an amazing game and still let in 4.
You can't use any of those goalies to excuse Price's play. All of them have played at a very high level when needed to and won a cup.

Price is paid like a great goalie but turns in average performances most of the time. If he was paid like a 20-25 goalie I wouldn't be as critical but when you make top tier money, you need to play like a top tier goalie consistently.

Nothing about last night's performance was "amazing" or even close to that.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Ginu

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There's no point discussing Price's shortcomings when he doesn't have an NHL caliber defense in front of him.

Subban-Norris
Markov-old and slow. Great on the PP but can't keep up in his own zone anymore.
Tinordi-too raw.
Bouillon-plays with fire but too old now. Small as well.
Gorges-not big enough.
Diaz-too bad you have to play defense as a defenseman.
Murray-new but old and injured.
Drewiske-not seen enough of him.
Beaulieu-too young, not given a chance yet.
Emelin-injured but exactly what we're missing. Without him there's no balance.

We need to build our D as:

Tinordi-Subban
Beaulieu-Emelin
Murray-x

Who fills the hole when Emi comes back?

Next summer with Markov and Gionta coming off the books, we need to revamp our defense. Lots of work to do here. Forget about Dietz, Thower and all of them. Ellis is the only one who is really built for what we need. Maybe call him up? I don't know what else to do.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Serious HABit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
You didn't even see the game, you were in class while he stood on his head.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:41 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
Carey Price has disappoint me every year in his career. He was promised as our savior since he entered the league. He didn't really won the job over Chrsitobal Huet, Gainey jumped the gun and traded Huet. Price lost his job to Jaroslav Halak who was drafted #212 overall. He would have lost his job if we had better goaltending other than Peter redlight Budaj. Hopefully Zachary Fucale will be the next one. I don't know what the market is now for Price but .895% isn't going to get you far in this league. I would look to unload his $6.5 million for 6 years contract if there's any taker. I don't think he's got a shot at Team Canada.
Do you honestly expect Price to go the whole season without a game under a .900 SV%? Because you're going to be massively disappointed by every goalie int he league if you do.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Face Of Bear

Price is starting to look like Pavalec. He should be good, and at times looks great, but just isnt consistent enough and lets in too many bone head goals

Old
10-02-2013, 12:44 PM
ReppingMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post

?

Old
Serious HABit

Old
Andy

The whole Halak era defense was severely underrated. Gill-Hamrlik-Gorges and Spacek + Subban is better than what we have now by a country mile. The forward group in front of that D had very little talent, but the D was good and showed they were good into the next season where Price had a stellar year as well and the Habs finished 6th.

I'd insert the 2010-2011 Hamrlik over any d-man not named Subban.

Last edited by Andy: 10-02-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old
10-02-2013, 12:48 PM
ReppingMTL

Anyways, most of the Price Haters are the same ones that thought Eller should be traded, when little Davey had one good season. But forget going that far back, most of the Price Haters are the same ones that said Eller sucked after his two final preseason games lol.

If it wasn't for Price, we loose 7-3 easily. Please tell me in what world is Kessel aloud to repeatedly come in uncontested and let go of of his rocket wrister at Price low blocker. Ya but our Defense is amazing

Old
10-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. There's no point discussing Price's shortcomings when he doesn't have an NHL caliber defense in front of him.

Subban-Norris
Markov-old and slow. Great on the PP but can't keep up in his own zone anymore.
Tinordi-too raw.
Bouillon-plays with fire but too old now. Small as well.
Gorges-not big enough.
Diaz-too bad you have to play defense as a defenseman.
Murray-new but old and injured.
Drewiske-not seen enough of him.
Beaulieu-too young, not given a chance yet.
Emelin-injured but exactly what we're missing. Without him there's no balance.

We need to build our D as:

Tinordi-Subban
Beaulieu-Emelin
Murray-x

Who fills the hole when Emi comes back?

Next summer with Markov and Gionta coming off the books, we need to revamp our defense. Lots of work to do here. Forget about Dietz, Thower and all of them. Ellis is the only one who is really built for what we need. Maybe call him up? I don't know what else to do.
I can do that for any defense in the NHL. If you want to only look at zits/flaws no defense in the NHL is good.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingMTL View Post
Anyways, most of the Price Haters are the same ones that thought Eller should be traded, when little Davey had one good season. But forget going that far back, most of the Price Haters are the same ones that said Eller sucked after his two final preseason games lol.

If it wasn't for Price, we loose 7-3 easily. Please tell me in what world is Kessel aloud to repeatedly come in uncontested and let go of of his rocket wrister at Price low blocker. Ya but our Defense is amazing
He continued to make big saves late in the game, after which Eller scored SH to bring the game into one. He made two huge stops on that PK.

Imagine, Price played really good and still lost. The fact that he needed to play "out of his mind" to win says less about Price and more about the team in front of him.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:54 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingMTL View Post

If you are paid top tier money...the expectations rise. Excuses are no longer acceptable. People don't get this.

The D excuse is getting old.

Closed Thread