HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2013, 05:39 PM
CanadianSharks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Beaulieu is a better skater than Subban. Beaulieu has absolutely ridiculous skating.
Really? I respectfully disagree. I prefer Subban's agility and seems to be a stronger skater to me.

Old
10-03-2013, 05:50 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
Errr Subban has that pretty easily. Then Markov. He'd probably #3 or #4 in skating.
Markov? I think Beaulieu could beat Subban in a straight line, Beaulieu has a great skating stride. I honestly think he's a better skater than Subban, this is only my opinion. I doubt Beaulieu will ever be the all-around player Subban is though.

Old
10-03-2013, 05:52 PM
CanadianSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
Markov? I think Beaulieu could beat Subban in a straight line, Beaulieu has a great skating stride. I honestly think he's a better skater than Subban, this is only my opinion. I doubt Beaulieu will ever be the all-around player Subban is though.
OK maybe I'm living a little in the past with Markov. Perhaps if you're looking at straight line, but I'm taking into account for agility, speed, strength on skates, etc.

Old
10-03-2013, 05:54 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
OK maybe I'm living a little in the past with Markov. Perhaps if you're looking at straight line, but I'm taking into account for agility, speed, strength on skates, etc.
Strength on skates Subban definitely wins, he has some incredible lower body strength. I doubt Beaulieu ever becomes the all around player Subban is, but I think his skating is better.

Old
10-03-2013, 05:57 PM
CanadianSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
Strength on skates Subban definitely wins, he has some incredible lower body strength. I doubt Beaulieu ever becomes the all around player Subban is, but I think his skating is better.
Yeah, I doubt he'll ever turn out as good as Subban either. I guess we'll agree to disagree. It's not like one is far better than the other. There are just aspects of Subban's skating I prefer. Also, I'm a little biased seeing as Subban is my favourite player in the entire NHL, closely followed by Couture.

Old
10-03-2013, 06:00 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Man I'm really tired tonight, basically said the exact same thing in both of my posts....

Old
10-03-2013, 06:06 PM
WhiskeySeven
Expect the expected

vCash: 300
I've been a Price fan, defender and supporter for his entire career but something dawned on me the other day when I was doing my fantasy draft... I avoided him. He's just not a low GAA, high sv% goalie. He lets in a lot of freaking goals.

He's had a bunch of coaches and a bunch of systems in front of him, defensive and offensive... and we've made the playoffs enough times to be considered (on average) at least middle-of-the-pack from ~06-13... he hasn't really had average stats, he's been below average.

And his contract does no favors.

I'm sorry guys, I'll rail the defense and the coach before I rail on Price but I'm not going to keep banking on his "potential". He's just entering his "goalie prime" but a lot of eyes are on him and they should be, we as a fanbase should wake up and be critical about his performances. Be fair, of course, but critical.

He was good in the first period but some of those other goals were not impossible to save. He's our best paid player, he should play like it.

/off the kool-aid

Old
10-03-2013, 06:49 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I've been a Price fan, defender and supporter for his entire career but something dawned on me the other day when I was doing my fantasy draft... I avoided him. He's just not a low GAA, high sv% goalie. He lets in a lot of freaking goals.

He's had a bunch of coaches and a bunch of systems in front of him, defensive and offensive... and we've made the playoffs enough times to be considered (on average) at least middle-of-the-pack from ~06-13... he hasn't really had average stats, he's been below average.

I'm sorry guys, I'll rail the defense and the coach before I rail on Price but I'm not going to keep banking on his "potential". He's just entering his "goalie prime" but a lot of eyes are on him and they should be, we as a fanbase should wake up and be critical about his performances. Be fair, of course, but critical.

He was good in the first period but some of those other goals were not impossible to save. He's our best paid player, he should play like it.

/off the kool-aid
Just to remind you, some of his saves were virtually impossible to stop.

I suspect he will have a great season, mostly by the benefit of a new coach.

Old
10-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Kenny Powders

vCash: 1000
Pekka Rinne... 3 goals in 6 shots

OMG TRADE HIM FOR SCRUBSSSSS

Old
10-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post

For a guy getting paid almost 7M$, he should make those save. I don't know how the goals were scores but I look at his salary and expect him to always play like a 7M$ goalie, so basically stopping every puck.

Old
10-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Beaulieu is a better skater than Subban. Beaulieu has absolutely ridiculous skating.
Really?

I haven't seen much of this guy. He's a better skater than Subban is?

Old
10-03-2013, 09:16 PM
WhiskeySeven
Expect the expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
For a guy getting paid almost 7M$, he should make those save. I don't know how the goals were scores but I look at his salary and expect him to always play like a 7M$ goalie, so basically stopping every puck.
First of all, Rinne is overpaid. Second of all, despite his overpaid contract, he's a statistical beast. If you had to chose a goalie for the month of October, knowing what you know now, you'd choose Rinne.

And that's my point.

Old
10-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

Quote:

/off the kool-aid
Fantasy Hockey's a different bird. I think that his stats aren't going to be good but I think that has more to do with the D than Price. I'm not expecting a good statistical year from him.

Old
10-03-2013, 09:23 PM
WhiskeySeven
Expect the expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Fantasy Hockey's a different bird. I think that his stats aren't going to be good but I think that has more to do with the D than Price. I'm not expecting a good statistical year from him.
Next game against Philly - do you put Price in (behind this terrible defense and coach) or Rinne (behind the same circumstances)? Be honest.

Old
10-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Whitesnake
Stormbringer

vCash: 725
Quote:
Next game against Philly - do you put Price in (behind this terrible defense and coach) or Rinne (behind the same circumstances)? Be honest.
Well based on TODAY....Price. Hutton is doing better than Rinne tonight and if your question is...who the hell is Hutton...well you answered your own question.

Old
10-03-2013, 09:30 PM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Same circumstances? As in Price is playing behind Shea Weber?

Honestly? I'd take Price. Rinne doesn't seem the same after his surgery. I avoided him in fantasy leagues this year.

Old
10-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Whitesnake
Stormbringer

vCash: 725
Quote:
Same circumstances? As in Price is playing behind Shea Weber?

Honestly? I'd take Price. Rinne doesn't seem the same after his surgery. I avoided him in fantasy leagues this year.
Just one game...by adding it to last year, geez, that looks bad for Rinne. I mean, I'm all for the league to suddenly be scoring a lot...that would mean that giving 3 goals per game isn't that bad after all...

Old
10-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Just one game...by adding it to last year, geez, that looks bad for Rinne. I mean, I'm all for the league to suddenly be scoring a lot...that would mean that giving 3 goals per game isn't that bad after all...
Rinne has been awesome in this league for years. Right NOW though, he scares me a little because of that surgery. Last season he lost Suter and had a poor season. Was it because Suter wasn't there or was it because of the surgery? My guess is probably the latter. I just don't trust that guy this year. I'd definitely draft him ahead of Price in my fantasy league but I'd take Price (and others over him that I usually wouldn't.)

That's just my opinion. Maybe he'll be fine and have another great year. He's the only goalie who's played more games than Price has in recent years and he's had great numbers. So all due respect to Rinne, I don't trust his health.

Is he having a bad game tonight?

Old
10-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Really?

I haven't seen much of this guy. He's a better skater than Subban is?
I would say that Subban is simply stronger on his edges, and maybe faster in more open ice or on wider arcs where he can use the wider stance and more powerful legs. I would say Beaulieu is actually more agile, and I think covers ground a bit better from a stand still in a random direction, though. It's weird, because one thing I judge as "fundamental" is that first step, and funny enough I don't see much difference in the two "in effect".

I suspect, if I watched more of them on the same stage, is that what I'm seeing is Beaulieu reading and reacting a bit quicker, meaning Subban's first step is actually powerful/quick enough to disguise a slightly slower read/reaction. I'd really like to see a head-to-head race, or races against the same players at different times, to get a better judge on their top ends.

Old
10-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireBergevin

Rinne is one of the goalie who lost the most padding.

old 5 hole :

new one :

Old
10-03-2013, 09:58 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
When a goalie is consistently good, you can excuse the odd bad game. Rinne gets a pass.

Old
10-03-2013, 10:05 PM
HNS*

Quote:
Now the coach is bad?

Old
10-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
When a goalie is consistently good, you can excuse the odd bad game. Rinne gets a pass.
You give him a pass on last year too? Unlike Price he seemed to have a rough year all the way through.

Old
10-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
You give him a pass on last year too? Unlike Price he seemed to have a rough year all the way through.
Why does Rinne need a "pass" for last year?

Old
10-03-2013, 10:28 PM
JohnLennon

I don't agree with comparisons between Price and Rinne. The Nashville Predators are a team built on playing in their own end. They are a team made for the defensive game. The Habs are almost the opposite. We are a more offensive-oriented team; a good transition team built with great offensive depth and made for sustained puck-pressure.

Our defense is strong in the offensive end, but can be a liability in our own end. The goalies just don't have the same situations. I honestly think Price could have outstanding stats with a team like Nashville ahead of him. But goalie stats don't win hockey games.

Closed Thread