HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
First period he was outstanding, the Habs were on their heels, price gave them an opportunity to win.
Okay. I missed the first period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
The biggest problem on that play is Bouillon, honestly. After blowing a tire trying to keep Reid to the outside, he gets up and goes past two Flyers to establish his corner of the box instead of engaging either of them physically, and just keeps gliding towards Streit's wind-up. Notice how after the shot gets through and turns into a rebound (/Schenn's redirection), he's left turning around and looking at two Flyers behind him; the first one he's barely able to stick check while falling, and the other an open and untouched Lecavalier. Shouldn't have let both of them stand between him and the net when he got up from behind the net and tried to get back in position.

Even if the rebound ended up in front, instead of off to the side, he would have found himself fighting for it through a Flyer standing between him and the net.
Bouillion should be put out to pasture. He was just terrible against the Leafs. He's really a number 7 or 8 guy at this point.

Old
10-06-2013, 11:00 AM
lillypad33

The word to describe Price yesterday is "solid".
The Flyers got tonnes of traffic to the net and Price ended up being just plain solid.
He had a couple of rebounds that he maybe shouldn't have let out, but overall I was quite happy with him.
He seems to have a little bit more second effort this season compared to last. We've seen desperation saves from him this year that I don't believe we would have seen in the past.

Old
10-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Bouillion should be put out to pasture. He was just terrible against the Leafs. He's really a number 7 or 8 guy at this point.
I lol'd.

Old
10-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Right, and its normal that Lecavalier was right at the mouth of the goal- alone.
If Lecavalier score on you, you'r a bad goalie

Old
10-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitsky View Post
If Lecavalier score on you, you'r a bad goalie
If you let in any goals you're a bad goalies. Good goalies get 82 regular season shutouts every season.

Old
10-06-2013, 12:41 PM
the

vCash: 0
Credit where credit is due...that was a great game by Price. He's done a nice job the first two games, hopefully he keeps playing like this.

Old
10-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Sant

for those of you who are criticizing price on the goal against him are ****ing psychotic.

i firmly believe that you ******* believe that this guy has to get a shutout every game.

its insane to believe that every goal he allows is a bad/weak goal.

do you people even watch hockey? do you watch other games besides the habs?

Old
10-06-2013, 01:08 PM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
for those of you who are criticizing price on the goal against him are ****ing psychotic.

i firmly believe that you ******* believe that this guy has to get a shutout every game.

the Price haters just don't know when to give up... He could get a shutout and they'd complain about some of his rebound control throughout the game

Old
10-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I lol'd.
I lol'd while nodding my head.

Old
10-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Mynameismark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post

It's the new young breed of Habs fans. They dont know or get hockey like the older generations all do. You see it at the Bell Centre...lots of ginos and others asking everyone who that player is and why isnt this guy shooting and why was the play stopped. It's a shame.

Old
10-06-2013, 01:31 PM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Price was solid for the first half of last season and ''collapsed'' the other half.

This season, we need him te be consistent. I don't really care if he's great for his first 10 games, I want him to keep the same confidence for the whole schedule.

Look how good he was for his first 8 games last season.

It doesn't mean anything if he can't keep up the good work.

Old
10-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
First period he was outstanding, the Habs were on their heels, price gave them an opportunity to win.
You can't possibly be serious, I mean come on.

If anything, our 2nd period was lacklustre. We throughly controlled the play and, to use a MT buzzword, tempo in the first.

Price was real good last night, there's no need to make things up to defend him from pointless criticism.

Old
10-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I don't care what effing defence you have every team will give up a couple of similar situations in a game. That's why you have a goalie.
Yes, situations like that will happen in every game, especially when a team is killing a penalty. But the defencemen aren't always going to clear the rebound, just as goalies aren't always going to stop it if the defencemen don't. Even the "great" goalies will let those much of time. If a person really expect the goalie should stop that puck every single time, then I think that person's expectations of a goalie are simply too high. There is no goalie who we can pay any amount of money in this league that will stop that puck every time.

Old
10-06-2013, 04:00 PM
David Thicke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Well articulated, but largely based on what you think is going on in Price's mind.

Price's problems are numerous, to think that he's a master of the first shot but a victim of his teammates failure to clear the second is a generalization I can't accept. My generalization (which I doubt you will accept) would be that overall he spends too much time on his pads, he commits too early giving seasoned NHL shooters too many options. when he moves laterally, he's always on his pads. When he's unsure of the situation and can't see the puck he's on his pads. When faced with a one-on-one situation such as a breakaway he becomes paralyzed, probably because the stand-up instructions he gets from his coach runs counter to his drop-first instincts. The result is that he's a master of the bottom 12 inches of the net, but vulnerable in the top 36.

And as we saw last year when he loses confidence he lunges forward and guesses.

I do agree that confidence is the key, he's not going to get better by letting in a dribbler on a 5-on-3, he's going to get confidence by battling through one or two of those and closing the door. He's not going to get better by locking up on a breakaway he's going to need to shut the door on a couple. Maybe he just needs to catch some luck to become good, but so-called inferior goalies have made more with less competent defence situations and many of them were his predecessors and players he competed against for his current job.
You are right about him dropping way too early into butterfly and exposing the top of the net. Last year this became more frequent when he slumped and his poor positioning was caused by being over aggressive laterally. Why was he doing this, because he didn't trust his defensemen to cover their man on the cross ice pass. When Price is on his game it always seems like the opposition is shooting right at him but if he's off then you will see him flopping around like a fish in the bottom of a boat. He's said it himself if he's on then he's early and square to the shooter but if he has to make what looks like a spectacular save then he's off and late getting into position and not tracking the puck well. Teams know that if you want to beat Price then you have to put traffic in front of him and make it difficult for him to see and track the puck. It's always hard to stop what you can't see until the last second. To the other posters that think Price should stop more deflections, how about I shoot a 90+ mph black puck at you and at between two to four feet in front of you have it change directions up or down or sideways. Most of us couldn't stop a softball never mind a puck. Nobody's reactions are fast enough to move that quickly so you have to hope it hits you and that all about positioning. Price can give himself that chance if his positioning is right and he doesn't over pursue the puck on the shot. For Price to be successful, he has too be at the top of his crease and patience. When his confidence is high then he lets the player make the first move and doesn't cheat to where he thinks the player is going. As a forward, you are always trying to make the goalie make the first move so you can react but the goalie can't bite if he wants to beat the forward.

On the Bozak breakaway, he needed to make that save for his teammates. One of Price's problems is that he's a very good skater and when there's a breakaway against him he comes out to meet the forwards but is too fast backing up and loses the good gap on the shooter which opens up too many holes. He needs to slow down a bit making the shooter get too close and this leaves only the deke as the only possible option for the shooter because he's now too close to shoot. For some reason, Price has a habit of dropping the blocker too low when covering his five hole with his paddle. This could be the lye angle of his stick which is made to allow him to handle the puck the way he does. He's one of the best in the NHL handling a puck and make his defensemen's job much easier.

His predecessors were good for only a brief moment and never play the amount of games that Price has and is capable of doing in a year. They were all flash in the pan players. Goaltending is more mental than you think. It's about forgetting the last goal, the bad goals that you know you should have saved and knowing that a goal in off the post is just a great shot. If the goalie is still pissed off about a bad goal in the first period then he may not fully concentration on the play in front of him. Just watch Price's head and shoulders when a goal is scored. If he thought he should have had it, you will know. Last season during his slump, I saw this reaction way too often and this means he's getting down on himself and then he becomes over aggressive trying to make every stop but loses his position. Price has too remain poised, calm and patience to have success but most of all there has to be a stubborn mentality that nobady's going to put another goal past him. It is a battle of wills for a goalie and the greats all think this way. Coach Waite will work on small technical issues through out the season but most of all he will make Price confident in his abilities to stop the puck and keep him at the top of his game. If Waite can make Niemi and Crawford believe in themselves with half the talent of Price then he can make Price think the same way and be very successful.

Just my opinion.

Old
10-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Serious HABit

hand him the vezina.

Old
10-06-2013, 04:12 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
I also think he was better in game 1.

He was also outstanding last year in his first 30 games. People don't seem to remember that before the blowout against the Leafs (at the 40th game I think), he hardly gave up a bad goal all season.

He is truly an elite goalie, but he's also often been average when it counts the most. I'm confident it will change.
Eh, he laid some eggs before that like against Pittsburgh. Of course I give more blame to Therrien for keeping him in for so long.

He had a consistent first half, inconsistent second half. Same with Markov actually. Might not be a coincidence.

Old
10-06-2013, 04:24 PM
MDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khal Drogo View Post
It's the new young breed of Habs fans. They dont know or get hockey like the older generations all do. You see it at the Bell Centre...lots of ginos and others asking everyone who that player is and why isnt this guy shooting and why was the play stopped. It's a shame.
If you also listen to TSN690 after a game, there's always a handful of people who call in to complain Price for any reason at all, or other players whose name they don't even know, saying they should be traded for "what's that kids name again" in whatever team.

Just horrible.

Old
10-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Rickkins

Halak already has his first shutout.

Just sayin'.....

Old
10-06-2013, 05:45 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post

Just sayin'.....
St. Louis forum is not here.

Just sayin'...

Old
10-06-2013, 05:52 PM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
You can't possibly be serious, I mean come on.

If anything, our 2nd period was lacklustre. We throughly controlled the play and, to use a MT buzzword, tempo in the first.

Price was real good last night, there's no need to make things up to defend him from pointless criticism.
The Habs were sloppy in the first. Most of the momentum belonged to the Flyers.

Old
10-06-2013, 06:00 PM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
He was forced into desperation many times on Tuesday because of poor man coverage and defensive zone breakdowns leading to high end scoring chances. The majority of the time he was flopped was sprawling across the crease to make a save. It's kind of hard to stay square to the shooter when you're sprawling to the backdoor to make a save.
I don't agree, usually when price is on, he's quiet in his crease, ie his positioning is sound and he doesn't need to look acrobatic. Against Toronto he was fighting the puck and looking like he did last year, over committing and lots of unnecessary movement in his crease, tonight he was calm. He made a couple of big saves look routine in the first from his sound positioning, the reason why he is consider to have so much potential is from games like tonight. Calm, and in control. The called back goal, he was positionally sound on that play, he just bobbled it.

Last edited by habsfanatics*: 10-06-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old
10-06-2013, 06:12 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHabs24 View Post
Price was solid for the first half of last season and ''collapsed'' the other half.

This season, we need him te be consistent. I don't really care if he's great for his first 10 games, I want him to keep the same confidence for the whole schedule.

Look how good he was for his first 8 games last season.

It doesn't mean anything if he can't keep up the good work.
Not even that. I just want him to step it up in the playoffs. If you can't get it done in the playoffs then the regular season play is meaningless.

Old
10-06-2013, 06:26 PM
Kenny Powders

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Not even that. I just want him to step it up in the playoffs. If you can't get it done in the playoffs then the regular season play is meaningless.
Im sorry but theres only 1 team that wins the stanley cup each year.

Price could be the greatest goalie to ever touch the earth, if his team plays like **** in front of him, you cant win game

Old
10-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Then we should build a team for the playoffs.
Quote:

Just sayin'.....
He and Brian Elliot are great fantasy options this year. 19 shots for the shutout. One thing I've got to say for Hitchcock, he may have boring hockey teams but he gets results. Everywhere he goes... Price's numbers on that team would be insane.

Old
10-06-2013, 06:59 PM
sharks9

Quote:

Just sayin'.....
Not hard to shutout the Florida Panthers when your team plays an ultra-defensive style.

Closed Thread