HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

New Jerseys - Other Leagues 2013-14

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
I'd be shocked if the current owners of the team didn't secure the rights to all IP related to the franchise when they purchased them. Which would include the old logo.

Now the IP from the movie - that's different. That likely would remain with Disney, since the NHL franchise was never associated with this uniform:

http://www.soundonsight.org/wp-conte...htyDucks31.jpg

And before someone mentions that D3 used the NHL franchise uniform... if I was acting for Disney I'd get some kind of licensing rights to that uniform before selling it.

Personally, while I don't love the old Ducks logo and colours, it had the advantage of being distinct and unique. I wouldn't be surprised to see it return in a few years instead of the very bland and boring current uniform.

Old
05-28-2013, 01:00 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Excluding Wild Wing (the mascot), I'm guessing that the cost of licensing the old logo (back) from Disney might be prohibitive.

(One never knows with Disney. Heck, could even be part of the purchase contract that prohibits it. )
The league holds the license, not Disney. And the uniforms are available for use in NHL 13.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:04 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post
I think the Ducks should do something like that but keep the black in the jersey. But, it's an interesting idea to use hunter green. Maybe have a jersey with 'Mallard' Duck colours - closest would be black, hunter green and white. That's what I'd do.

I like the general feel of this concept (the logos are kind of "meh"). That bright orange of theirs really pops against the dark green mallard colors.

Old
05-29-2013, 11:40 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...iversary-logo/
Panther's 20th anniversary logo

(It's also the 20th anniversary of Anaheim; nothing released there)

And I've been hearing rumors of "new jerseys" for the Sharks. Unclear if it's modification to main logo, 3rd jersey, or some minor (e.g., movement/modification of arm bars) change.

Old
05-29-2013, 12:11 PM
Rocko604

I miss the old Ducks logo. Wish they were still using it when they won the Cup. I still like the black and orange though. Would love to see something like this.

Old
05-29-2013, 12:26 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
I miss the old Ducks logo. Wish they were still using it when they won the Cup. I still like the black and orange though. Would love to see something like this.
Beautiful.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:08 PM
CrazyMonkey1208

WTF didn't Dallas just get new uniforms back in 2009? What is this, the NBA?

Old
05-29-2013, 01:24 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMonkey1208 View Post
WTF didn't Dallas just get new uniforms back in 2009? What is this, the NBA?
Yes, but they were very unpopular. Why throw good money after bad?

Old
05-29-2013, 01:40 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

Quote:
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...iversary-logo/
Panther's 20th anniversary logo

(It's also the 20th anniversary of Anaheim; nothing released there)

And I've been hearing rumors of "new jerseys" for the Sharks. Unclear if it's modification to main logo, 3rd jersey, or some minor (e.g., movement/modification of arm bars) change.
Hopefully with the Sharks, it's scrapping the front jersey numbers and losing the orange, and going back to a teal, black, gray color scheme.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:44 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

the orange in the Sharks unis are great. Something really classic about that look. Shame if they go back to the Selanne era color scheme

Old
05-29-2013, 01:51 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I wouldn't mind seeing the Sharks go back to their original uniforms, like a handful of other teams have done lately.

Definitely don't want to see the early-00s era kits come back, though.

Old
05-29-2013, 02:04 PM
CrazyMonkey1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing the Sharks go back to their original uniforms, like a handful of other teams have done lately.

Definitely don't want to see the early-00s era kits come back, though.
I 2nd that! I LOVED the Sharks jerseys back when they entered the league. Great logo, great jersey colors and classic design. They had it right the first time. Every single jersey that they'be had since then has been substandard. Most teams just should go back to basics. It's what people want. Calgary, Edmonton, Buffalo, Boston have all seen the light. The Reebok "Edge" jerseys really made everything fugly

Old
05-29-2013, 02:50 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
I like the general feel of this concept (the logos are kind of "meh"). That bright orange of theirs really pops against the dark green mallard colors.
This just proves that it's impossible to make good logo when your team is named 'Ducks'...

Old
05-29-2013, 03:01 PM
calgaryflames

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Hopefully with the Sharks, it's scrapping the front jersey numbers and losing the orange, and going back to a teal, black, gray color scheme.
im not sure why teams started doing that to begin with (putting numbers on the front of a jersey). this isn't basketball or soccer. just makes the jersey too complicated with numbers on the front, esp when there is a captain C or A on the front. what are teams supposed to do when they wear a patch on the front. look at SJ right now. they were wearing a GGW patch on the front plus jersey numbers on the front, plus some players with C or A. what were they going to do had they made the cup finals? sew the Stanley cup patch on their helmet? I think buffalo still wears numbers on the front, but at least they got rid of those horrible slug jerseys. dallas has numbers on the front too but maybe with the new logo and jersey they will scrap that idea (hopefully). jersey numbers on the front in the NHL simply do not belong.

Old
05-29-2013, 03:05 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

I really like the Sharks current set minus the front numbers.

Old
05-29-2013, 03:11 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

I think the numbers on the front of the jersey are more extraneous now with the required helmet #s.

But Sharks were not the first team to do it.

Old
05-29-2013, 03:19 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
the orange in the Sharks unis are great. Something really classic about that look. Shame if they go back to the Selanne era color scheme
wow. completely forgot Selanne was a Shark for 2 1/2 seasons.

I, like the others, was thinking more along the lines of the Pat Falloon/Brian Heyward days,

Old
05-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryflames View Post
im not sure why teams started doing that to begin with (putting numbers on the front of a jersey). this isn't basketball or soccer. just makes the jersey too complicated with numbers on the front, esp when there is a captain C or A on the front. what are teams supposed to do when they wear a patch on the front. look at SJ right now. they were wearing a GGW patch on the front plus jersey numbers on the front, plus some players with C or A. what were they going to do had they made the cup finals? sew the Stanley cup patch on their helmet? I think buffalo still wears numbers on the front, but at least they got rid of those horrible slug jerseys. dallas has numbers on the front too but maybe with the new logo and jersey they will scrap that idea (hopefully). jersey numbers on the front in the NHL simply do not belong.
Quote:
I think the numbers on the front of the jersey are more extraneous now with the required helmet #s.

But Sharks were not the first team to do it.
The Sabres were the first team to do it when they went to the infamous Slug jerseys in 2006 which, if I recall correctly, they sold as something unique that no one else had (or cared about, IMO). From a Sabres point of view, I kinda like that other teams followed in the wake (San Jose, Carolina, Tampa Bay, maybe others I'm forgetting) but I agree with LadyStanley that it's pretty surperfluous and not really an enhancement.

From a personal standpoint, I love the current edition San Jose home/road set. I think the orange is a great accent color to the teal and is tastefully restrained. Removing it would be a huge detriment, IMO. I certainly hope there isn't an emphasis on black. Personally, I think that in the HD-TV era, color, especially bold color, looks great and I'm concerned about black creep returning to the NHL (San Jose's 3rd, Carolina's 3rds, LA ditching the purple).

Old
05-30-2013, 05:50 PM
azaloum90

What did the Isles decide regarding a possible rebrand? cannot seem to find the thread

Old
05-31-2013, 10:10 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

More preview images of new Hurricanes jerseys:

Old
05-31-2013, 10:12 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

I like what the Hurricanes appear to be doing. I never liked the hurricane warning flag motif. Sure it was creative (and better than alot of other team's attempts at creativity), but it just always looked so busy.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:21 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
More preview images of new Hurricanes jerseys:

I guess we can scratch the logo on the prior page maybe being a shoulder patch.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:23 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
I guess we can scratch the logo on the prior page maybe being a shoulder patch.
Yep, looks like the warning flag is going to be a third-jersey special from now on.

Old
05-31-2013, 12:37 PM
King_Stannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
Get rid of the unnecessary pizza slice in the background of the logo and it would be a vast improvement over the Ducks uniforms now.

Old
05-31-2013, 12:40 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

the color scheme is way too similar to the Kings

I'd also change the Ducks name to the California Ducks, fwiw

Closed Thread