HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

New Jerseys - Other Leagues 2013-14

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-06-2013, 12:16 PM
  #101
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor
 
garnetpalmetto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 4,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Or you could like resize the stick and flag to fit the second one in... you know, so you don't look like you have no idea what you're doing. There's a difference between artistic license and getting something wrong, it'd be like the Ducks having a chicken for a logo or the Bruins using a polar bear.
Or the Senators using a centurion?

__________________
garnetpalmetto is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 03:00 PM
  #102
silvercanuck
Registered User
 
silvercanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Or you could like resize the stick and flag to fit the second one in... you know, so you don't look like you have no idea what you're doing. There's a difference between artistic license and getting something wrong, it'd be like the Ducks having a chicken for a logo or the Bruins using a polar bear.
No, it would not. The vast majority of people fully understand that there is a major difference between a duck and chicken but maybe 1% of the population has a problem with the Carolina Hurricanes secondary logo.

There is no reason to worry about "getting it right". We are talking about a SECONDARY LOGO for a sports team. The purpose of that logo is not to warn the general public of an oncoming Hurricane.

The actual flag in the logo represents a tropical storm warning. That makes full sense in the context of a Hurricane.

We can make pedantic arguments about sports logos all day long if we want to obsess over meaningless details. For starters: why do the Boston Bruins only have ONE bear in their secondary logo. Bruins is plural.

silvercanuck is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 03:03 PM
  #103
Brodie
watcher on the walls
 
Brodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 12,090
vCash: 500
because each individual member of the team is a singular Bruin

and if your argument is "well, like, ignorance" then it's not really a great argument

Brodie is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 03:18 PM
  #104
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 31,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
and if your argument is "well, like, ignorance" then it's not really a great argument
Still, you have to admit that it would take a REALLY long time walking down the street before you found someone who knew off the top of their head what a tropical storm warning flag looks like as opposed to a hurricane warning flag. Unless you live near a pirate fort or something.

And of the people who actually know that without hearing it in an internet hockey forum, how many of them have any opinion or stake in the appearance of the Carolina Hurricanes secondary logo? Probably not too many.

tarheelhockey is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 03:29 PM
  #105
silvercanuck
Registered User
 
silvercanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
because each individual member of the team is a singular Bruin

and if your argument is "well, like, ignorance" then it's not really a great argument
Was that an actual argument, or did you just concede that I took the wind out of your sails.

A tropical storm can be upgraded to a hurricane and vice vs. Bottom line it's the same flag to 99% of the pop.

silvercanuck is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 04:17 PM
  #106
Enigma Publius
Registered User
 
Enigma Publius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Empire State
Country: United States
Posts: 86
vCash: 500
Disappointed in the 'Canes. Smaller logo? Meh. Losing the flags? Give the stick logo the two flags, keep the pattern. Simpler colors? Too generic.

Like it or not, it made sense for the 'Bolts to simplify their color scheme because they also simplified their logo. The 'Canes? Yuck.

I'm warming up to the new Stars look, even if its logo isn't immediately inspiring.

Enigma Publius is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 05:25 PM
  #107
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft
 
Mr Whipple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Greenville, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 517
vCash: 500
Well, if you look at the Canes secondary logo you can see the single flag is tattered from the wind. So maybe think of it as the hurricane was so strong it blew the second flag off the hockey stick.

Mr Whipple is offline  
Old
06-07-2013, 09:43 AM
  #108
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!
 
IceAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,985
vCash: 300
nothing more exciting than a semantics debate.

IceAce is offline  
Old
06-07-2013, 11:10 AM
  #109
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,902
vCash: 574
Personally always felt the Huricanes name was an odd choice to begin with. Same goes for the avalanche

cheswick is offline  
Old
06-07-2013, 03:04 PM
  #110
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!
 
IceAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,985
vCash: 300
Not uncommon to have teams named after weather events. Hurricanes, Heat, Thunder, Lightning, Tornadoes, Cyclones, Blizzard, etc. have been used/are used elsewhere.


Last edited by IceAce: 06-07-2013 at 03:11 PM.
IceAce is offline  
Old
06-07-2013, 03:06 PM
  #111
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,220
vCash: 772
Thunder, Heat

IU Hawks fan is offline  
Old
06-07-2013, 09:02 PM
  #112
MarkhamNHL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 283
vCash: 500
makes you wonder if this is the first tiny step towards something bigger for the hurricanes...

i remember when the north stars became the stars, changed the uni... a year or so later bam... moved

not saying this is what is gonna happen, but weird all the patches and smaller logos are completely gone

MarkhamNHL is offline  
Old
06-07-2013, 09:03 PM
  #113
CrazyMonkey1208
Registered User
 
CrazyMonkey1208's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 242
vCash: 500
Hurricanes, something NC is notorious for.

I guess Colorado has avalanches? They have mountains and snow..

Would be weird to see a team in Miami call itself "blizzard", but I would do it just to mess with people

CrazyMonkey1208 is offline  
Old
06-07-2013, 09:12 PM
  #114
beepeearr
Registered User
 
beepeearr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 575
vCash: 500
There is a small town in Texas named Winter with their school mascot called the Blizzards so the Winter Blizzards in the middle of Texas.

beepeearr is offline  
Old
06-07-2013, 09:22 PM
  #115
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pacific NW
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,139
vCash: 500
Carolina Hurricanes I like, but generally no, dont like teams named after climactic events, so obviously no fan of Lightning or Bolts, Thunder, Avalanche, Blizzard, Storm etc... although the city of Calgary did have a major fire way back when, fire & flames pretty weak considering the rich history they could draw from whereas with Atlanta it was perfect... the Winnipeg Jets. That was the name of a Junior Club pre-WHA, Ben Hatskin the original owner of the WHA Jets adopting it because he was an admirer of the New York Jets. Again, I'd have picked something more in keeping with Winnipeg & Manitoba's history, though Jets' isnt bad, not great but not bad. Pretty hard to ditch it after the WHA & NHL years, return in 2011 as was being seriously considered....

Killion is offline  
Old
06-07-2013, 11:29 PM
  #116
DKQ
Generic User Title
 
DKQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Press Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Carolina Hurricanes I like, but generally no, dont like teams named after climactic events, so obviously no fan of Lightning or Bolts, Thunder, Avalanche, Blizzard, Storm etc... although the city of Calgary did have a major fire way back when, fire & flames pretty weak considering the rich history they could draw from whereas with Atlanta it was perfect... the Winnipeg Jets. That was the name of a Junior Club pre-WHA, Ben Hatskin the original owner of the WHA Jets adopting it because he was an admirer of the New York Jets. Again, I'd have picked something more in keeping with Winnipeg & Manitoba's history, though Jets' isnt bad, not great but not bad. Pretty hard to ditch it after the WHA & NHL years, return in 2011 as was being seriously considered....
Jets was also chosen because Manitoba has played a large role in the history of the Canadian Air Force. The new Jets look is is largely an homage to the Air Force and I believe they unveiled it at an Air Force base.

DKQ is offline  
Old
06-07-2013, 11:36 PM
  #117
DyerMaker66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKQ View Post
Jets was also chosen because Manitoba has played a large role in the history of the Canadian Air Force. The new Jets look is is largely an homage to the Air Force and I believe they unveiled it at an Air Force base.
If they were attempting to emulate this I love them even more:


DyerMaker66 is offline  
Old
06-08-2013, 12:35 AM
  #118
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pacific NW
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKQ View Post
Jets was also chosen because Manitoba has played a large role in the history of the Canadian Air Force. The new Jets look is is largely an homage to the Air Force and I believe they unveiled it at an Air Force base.
Oh ya, absolutely, youve got CFB Winnipeg & other bases in the province, so for sure a strong connection, identifiable. But still, I'd have way back in like 72 gone with something else. A moot point really... interestingly as well, the reason why Conn Smythe decided on the Maple Leafs, the story told that it was all patriotic & Mothers Milk, that he called them that having been inspired during WW1 seeing the Maple Leaf on the shoulders of Canadian Soldiers uniforms may not be entirely true at all. Back in the late 19th & early 20th Century, it was common for teams playing in different sports to share the same name & colours. In Toronto, the Maple Leaf Baseball Club, blue & white, enjoyed tremendous success & was very popular from the late 1800's on. When Smythe bought the St.Patricks, which had targeted the local Irish Catholic market, and with pro hockey still in its formative years, he needed to kick it up several notches in order to gain a wider audience. My theory (and others) is that he decided to co-op the Maple Leaf & hopefully the baseball audience, sales through association, pretty much replicating their logo & colours, stealing their very name. He was able to do this, as one of his partners in purchasing the team & building the Gardens was one JP Bickell, a wealthy industrialists who just happened to also sit on the Board of Directors as Chairman of the Toronto Maple Leafs Baseball Club.

Killion is offline  
Old
06-08-2013, 09:22 AM
  #119
CrazyMonkey1208
Registered User
 
CrazyMonkey1208's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
If they were attempting to emulate this I love them even more:

Wow, one look at the wing of that plane and you can see where the logo came from. I love the Jets' uniforms, pretty awesome stuff.

CrazyMonkey1208 is offline  
Old
06-08-2013, 12:08 PM
  #120
Northender
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMonkey1208 View Post
Wow, one look at the wing of that plane and you can see where the logo came from. I love the Jets' uniforms, pretty awesome stuff.
Needed more red on the jerseys and I always loved the Jets red breezers. Wish they would have continued that tradition.

Northender is offline  
Old
06-08-2013, 12:12 PM
  #121
DyerMaker66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northender View Post
Needed more red on the jerseys and I always loved the Jets red breezers. Wish they would have continued that tradition.
I agree: If they'd added even one red stripe to the bottom of the jersey it'd have been perfect.

DyerMaker66 is offline  
Old
06-08-2013, 01:00 PM
  #122
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pacific NW
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
I agree: If they'd added even one red stripe to the bottom of the jersey it'd have been perfect.
Ya, some added red wouldve been excellent, kick it up a notch or two for sure. Not a huge fan of the Jets new jersey design, a lot better than what it was but still not quite there yet, what it could be. A little to "blocky", cumbersome, heavy & monochromatic for my liking. Then again, one of my all-time favourites is that of the Winnipeg Falcons Olympic jersey which apparently a lot of people think quite hideous so what do I know?

Killion is offline  
Old
06-09-2013, 11:52 AM
  #123
azaloum90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The coop!
Posts: 2,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMonkey1208 View Post
Wow, one look at the wing of that plane and you can see where the logo came from. I love the Jets' uniforms, pretty awesome stuff.
i guess that wipes the theory that the Jets logo was derived from the Thrashers Shoulder patch?


azaloum90 is offline  
Old
06-10-2013, 12:41 PM
  #124
Antaya
Registered User
 
Antaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 103
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
i guess that wipes the theory that the Jets logo was derived from the Thrashers Shoulder patch?

this is actually kinda funny. never saw that before, gonna be hard to un-see now lol

Antaya is offline  
Old
06-10-2013, 12:46 PM
  #125
CrazyMonkey1208
Registered User
 
CrazyMonkey1208's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
i guess that wipes the theory that the Jets logo was derived from the Thrashers Shoulder patch?

Whoa, that's messed up, they took the Atl shoulder patch and superimposed it over the emblem on the wing of that jet. Far out stuff

CrazyMonkey1208 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.