HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MacT Conference Call For Tier 1 Fans [Transcribed by @colinpriestner]

Old
05-25-2013, 11:13 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
A guy with great genetics, talented, ever improving, and that barring injury will have a long career.

You just don't get rid of the players like this who will have solid lifetime careers. He's going to be very useful somewhere, should be here.

I think people should envision what a savvy player this guy will become as he continues to get experience and roles.
if you get a good player back that has a more needed skill set, why the heck not? ? it's this type of thinking that paralyzed Tambellini and has the Oilers now horribly imbalanced and in need of rebuilding the rebuild. Tambo looked at each of his players individually and surmised: 'well, he is, or could be, a good player', all the while ignoring that, as a group, his collection of good players were a terrible team.

this crap that thou shalt never trade a good player has got to end. If you are any kind of manager, you can trade a good player for other good players.

not saying they have to trade Gagner, but they can't rule it out either, just because he is a pretty good player.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 11:35 PM
aleshemsky83

vCash: 500
I worry that well trade for a guy that doesn't want to be here but then again guys like Visnovksy and Souray absolutely hated Edmonton and had all star type years here. So it's really not the end of the world. Anything that will get us off the mat(other than something insane like 5 first rounders or taking on a 15 year deal) I'll support.

aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 02:18 AM
timekeep

Those that are saying to signing Gagner for a few years, curious how much you think he would sign for? He only has one more year to UFA, it is going to cost allot to keep him for 2-3 years, will he sign for $4M/3yr?

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
if you get a good player back that has a more needed skill set, why the heck not? ? it's this type of thinking that paralyzed Tambellini and has the Oilers now horribly imbalanced and in need of rebuilding the rebuild. Tambo looked at each of his players individually and surmised: 'well, he is, or could be, a good player', all the while ignoring that, as a group, his collection of good players were a terrible team.

this crap that thou shalt never trade a good player has got to end. If you are any kind of manager, you can trade a good player for other good players.

not saying they have to trade Gagner, but they can't rule it out either, just because he is a pretty good player.
The thing is if we're going to trade Gagner, we need to get fair value out of him. Trading him for a #4 defenceman or a 40 point center when he could legitimately develop into a 60 point scorer is terrible management. If we're going to trade Gagner, it needs to be in a package with stuff like our 1st for a top pairing PMD or 2-way 1B center. None of that Nikita Nikitin or Martin Hanzal crap (seriously Martin Hanzal has to be the most overrated player on the trade forums).

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 01:04 PM
AM

The problem with Horcoff is that he isn't a bottom 6 forward. If you play him there you are not going to have good results.

As for hes too slow, too slow is all based on how you play.

This team has decided to play a bunch of rookies so older slower better players have a hard time playing that style.

Course that style doesn't actually work so it might be a problem with management actually deciding on a style that is going to work in the NHL, and enforcing it.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 01:16 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post
The problem with Horcoff is that he isn't a bottom 6 forward. If you play him there you are not going to have good results.

This team has decided to play a bunch of rookies so older slower better players have a hard time playing that style.

Course that style doesn't actually work so it might be a problem with management actually deciding on a style that is going to work in the NHL, and enforcing it.
Horcoff is definitely older and slower than the young guys playing ahead of him, but who is he better than? I can't think of one young player he's playing behind that he's better than.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 01:18 PM
GMofOilers

So happy Mact isnt happy with Dubby. It doesnt take a rocket scientiest to figure out Dubby is a Dud.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 01:35 PM
AimsforGenji

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
So happy Mact isnt happy with Dubby. It doesnt take a rocket scientiest to figure out Dubby is a Dud.
Didn't do too bad considering the garbage in front of him and being his first starter season. Don't know how that is a dud. I think we need a solid back up but I don't really understand how he is a dud. He can still gain consistency.

AimsforGenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Didn't do too bad considering the garbage in front of him and being his first starter season. Don't know how that is a dud. I think we need a solid back up but I don't really understand how he is a dud. He can still gain consistency.
He's 27 and has had years to figure out the NHL and gain some consistency. Reality is this is as good as it gets with him.

How you would consider it his first year here as a "Starter" is anybodies guess. He played 47games the previous season. This must be similar to the "official rebuild' arithmetic.

Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 01:56 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
If we had a good goalie that didnt let in 1 bad goal a game to deflate the team, we would of made the playoffs. Thats a fact!

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 02:01 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
Horcoff is definitely older and slower than the young guys playing ahead of him, but who is he better than? I can't think of one young player he's playing behind that he's better than.
Snowpants.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 02:04 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Snowpants.
No, not even him. At least Gagner puts up some points. Horcoff is completely useless now.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 02:36 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
I've never been a fan of Dubby. He has out performed any expectations I had of him(career minor leaguer) but still not good enough to be a starter. Prefer a goalie with better quickness and compete. I felt more comfortable when the Gimped up forty year old alcoholic was between the pipes.

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 03:00 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Snowpants.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

I swear snowpants has referred to like 3 different players.

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 03:13 PM
Toydarian

Quote:
If we had a good goalie that didnt let in 1 bad goal a game to deflate the team, we would of made the playoffs. Thats a fact!
It's actually the complete opposite of a fact.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Those that are saying to signing Gagner for a few years, curious how much you think he would sign for? He only has one more year to UFA, it is going to cost allot to keep him for 2-3 years, will he sign for $4M/3yr?
$4.5M for 7 years makes a lot of sense. You retain his most productive years, and the cap is going to creep up during that time. That contract works for both sides imo.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 03:48 PM
FunkyChicken
Golden Ticket

vCash: 400
Quote:
Snowpants.
What's the snowpants reference with Gagner? Is it cause he's always on his butt?

FunkyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 04:51 PM
frag2

Quote:
He's 27 and has had years to figure out the NHL and gain some consistency. Reality is this is as good as it gets with him.

How you would consider it his first year here as a "Starter" is anybodies guess. He played 47games the previous season. This must be similar to the "official rebuild' arithmetic.
This. For a big goalie, he doesn't know how to use his size.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post

Quite the statement. Do you believe Horcoff is a top six player? Serious question.

Who is worse than he is in the top six? Serious question.

Slow based on how you play? So he plays a slow style? Not sure what you are trying to say there. We play rookies ahead of our old slow and" better" players. I guess playing old and slow is a difficult style to get ice time with.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 05:20 PM
AimsforGenji

Quote:

Well I am not sure he is a significant enough issue to bother replacing him at this moment. There is much bigger fish to fry. The pointing of fingers to Dubnyk as some sort of major issue is laughably ridiculous. Fix the glaring holes and issues then see how far the goaltending gets you.

AimsforGenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 05:37 PM
Soundwave

I think the Oilers will have interest in a UFA like Khudobin at the goalie position.

Halak might be on the trade market too.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 05:39 PM
FunkyChicken
Golden Ticket

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
This. For a big goalie, he doesn't know how to use his size.
He's got some weird tendencies for a NHL goalie such as dropping down his blocker and blocker shoulder. I could see dropping the glove cause you have to catch the puck but the blocker should basically be up to let pucks hit it. He also seems clueless at playing pucks coming of the side board along the goal line. It also seems to me that he's kind of unfocused to start games and zones out for about a minute after a goal is scored on him.

FunkyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I think the Oilers will have interest in a UFA like Khudobin at the goalie position.

Halak might be on the trade market too.
These would be my two targets specifically.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 06:39 PM
alphahelix

you guys are crackheads, and MacT needs to withhold judgement a while longer...

Dubnyk has played behind a league-worst D the vast majority of his tenure. Unfair.

He is good and still improving. Not sure if he has much higher to go, but behind a quality D he would be a quality G.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote