HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Gillis - how long is his leash where is he taking us?

View Poll Results: How long is GMMG's leash going forward?
1 year 99 37.64%
2 years 77 29.28%
3 years 30 11.41%
4 years 8 3.04%
5 years 8 3.04%
Sweaty press conferences 4 lyfe! 41 15.59%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-07-2013, 06:19 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubros View Post
There are a large contingent on here that live by a simple maxim: anyone currently a Canuck is excellent and anyone who used to be a Canuck is terrible. You saw it with Hodgson and now Schneider. Even guys like Willie Mitchell, Ohlund and Naslund, who all served this team with aplomb, get the same treatment.

For some, the same thinking applies to management. Gillis Canuck now, he good man! Burke not Canuck, he bad man!

Hell, if Vancouver traded Horvat tomorrow for Joe Schmoe, the same people that were lauding Bo today would be saying he's ***** tomorrow.

Now I don't put you in the group above. You do seem to be arguing against an imaginary foe though.

No one said that Brian Burke didn't inherit a great package of assets when he took over the Canuck job. He did. He did in Anaheim too.

I didn't see anyone on here argue that Brian Burke is without flaws either. He is pigheaded and stubborn to the point where his judgement gets clouded. He is terrible at recognizing good goaltending.

He also did some pretty good things in Vancouver. He acquired and then had the patience to let the Sedins develop, for one. Same thing with guys like Kesler and Burrows. In Anaheim acquiring Pronger and Niedermeyer were pretty shrewd moves. The Toronto team he built from scrap actually made the playoffs this year too. Hell, even the Kessel deal doesn't look too bad right now.

Am I advocating bringing back Burke? No. If the choice was limited to Gillis and Burke, though, I would have to go with Burke.

This is for one simple reason - I don't believe that Gillis is a good assessor of talent. He is good at negotiating contracts and he seems to be good at the organizational level, I'll give him that. However, I do not trust his hockey judgement at all, and that is the only thing that counts for a GM. The longer he's in charge, the more damage he will be able to do.
But Brian "Kevin Weekes (GarthSnowBobEssensaDanCloutierFelixPotvinAlexAuld ) is our goalie of the future" Burke is great at talent assessment right?

Double Standaaaaaaards /Oprah

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:48 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

The pre 2011 Gillis would have either Grabo or Brunner under contract by now.

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:12 PM
arttk

Quote:
There are a large contingent on here that live by a simple maxim: anyone currently a Canuck is excellent and anyone who used to be a Canuck is terrible. You saw it with Hodgson and now Schneider. Even guys like Willie Mitchell, Ohlund and Naslund, who all served this team with aplomb, get the same treatment.

For some, the same thinking applies to management. Gillis Canuck now, he good man! Burke not Canuck, he bad man!

Hell, if Vancouver traded Horvat tomorrow for Joe Schmoe, the same people that were lauding Bo today would be saying he's ***** tomorrow.
1) Not sure if anybody is saying Schneider is a bad player, don't make **** up like that.
2) People were sad to see Ohlund go and I don't think anybody trashed him. People were generally happy that he got such a nice retirement contract from TB.
3) Hell except for Hodgson, no ex-players were **** on. We just all accepted the reasons why they were let go (except for Mitchell).
4) Stop making **** up, if Bo Horvat were to be traded tomorrow, most people would be *****ing about the return and not the player.

arttk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:

This is blatantly false, at least as far as the majority is concerned. Hodgson is still considered some sort of god to some and most continue to cite Schneider as a future franchise goaltender. People still love Mitchell, Ohlund and Naslund. In fact, I rarely have seen a negative post about any of them.

Gillis? Half the boards has called him incompetent for the Schneider trade, while the other half believe he's gone within a year unless we make noise in the playoffs.

Seriously, this just a completely misinformed post.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Bourne Endeavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by settinguptheplay View Post
For real? Look at the contracts he handed out in Toronto. Not to mention the TML's prospect pool is as bad as ours despite finishing out of the playoffs every year he was there.

Stay the H E double hockey sticks out of Vancouver Burke! Most overrated GM in the league! Well... Maybe 2nd to Sather!
I'd take Sather over Burke. He may hand out stupid contracts but the man is a wizard when it comes to trading them.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Chubros

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantYandleThis View Post
But Brian "Kevin Weekes (GarthSnowBobEssensaDanCloutierFelixPotvinAlexAuld ) is our goalie of the future" Burke is great at talent assessment right?

Double Standaaaaaaards /Oprah
Read much? Look at what you quoted from my post in regards to Brian Burke and goaltending.

To arttk and Bourne, I surprised that you don't detect the element I was referring to. Obviously it's not all posters but some are certainly guilty of the homerism I described.

Chubros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
People still love Mitchell, Ohlund and Naslund. In fact, I rarely have seen a negative post about any of them..
There were tons of negative posts about Naslund when he was parting ways with the team. And an absolute **** ton more when his number was being retired.

Mitchell was called a washed up malingering malcontent by many posters here - "good riddance" was a widely expressed feeling on this board when he parted ways with the team, and LA was mocked for taking him on.

The Hodgson thing goes without saying - overall sentiment flipped like a freakin' light switch after Gillis made the move/comments.

Old
07-07-2013, 08:21 PM
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
There were tons of negative posts about Naslund when he was parting ways with the team. And an absolute **** ton more when his number was being retired.

Mitchell was called a washed up malingering malcontent by many posters here - "good riddance" was a widely expressed feeling on this board when he parted ways with the team, and LA was mocked for taking him on.

The Hodgson thing goes without saying - overall sentiment flipped like a freakin' light switch after Gillis made the move/comments.
Naslund is a somewhat unique case because he was being paid huge money in a new cap world all the while playing the worst hockey of his career. Sadly his contract/performance ratio was brutal so people soured on him. Hence many were happy to see him gone.

Hindsight being 20/20 it appears Mitchell was a locker room cancer on this team. Seem to remember him being the center of more than 1 practice bruhaha with his own teammates. If I am not mistaken Kings fans have somewhat turned on him as well.

Hodgson was quickly falling into a prima donna category with parents whom stuck there noses in places they should probably not have. Not to mention the expectation of increased ice time before he had "earned" it.

Of coarse we are not privy to all the details concerning any of them so I am going purely on speculation and gut feeling.

settinguptheplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Bourne Endeavor

Quote:

I am aware of the Naslund retirement whining, although there is some legitimacy to the argument his number was needed to be retired. I do not agree with it mind you, but I can see the argument.

Mitchell I was not here for, but if memory serves he was coming off a serious injury and looked finished. The going assumption was he would not rebound and that was the primary reason we allowed him to walk. Since his resurgence in LA, the opinion has promptly shifted as far as I have witnessed.

Hodgson was supremely overrated even when he was here. People still have a borderline obsession with him. I'd go so far as to say nearly half this board continues to lament his departure and Kassian is unduly ridiculed as a result.

Old
07-08-2013, 02:00 AM
AmazingNuck

Quote:

Naslund is a polarizing figure. I've seen people list him as the greatest Canuck ever. I've seen people chastise him for being a terrible captain. However, most acknowledge that he's a top 10 all time Canuck.

As for Mitchell, some people don't like him because they consider him to be the cause of the 09 loss. Personally, I don't like him.

Opinions changing because information is revealed is different than just turning sour on players because they no longer play on your team. Hodgson was basically the golden boy for Canucks fans up until the trade... many were against the trade, but after Gillis revealed what really happened, who could like Hodgson any more? Personally, I don't really feel too strongly about Hodgson because Gillis could have lied and probably exaggerated if he did not lie. Anyways, I agree with the trade for reasons other than Hodgson's personality. My point is, the reaction to Hodgson is pretty justified.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:33 AM
kurt
the last emperor

Is it just me or is this team going to be slightly worse again this year? I'm optimistic about 2014-15, but this season feels like it's going to be a long one (and a short one).

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:36 AM
tc23
#StopSbieksa2015

vCash: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Is it just me or is this team going to be slightly worse again this year? I'm optimistic about 2014-15, but this season feels like it's going to be a long one (and a short one).
Most teams are going to be slightly worse for atleast this season since the cap just dropped.

tc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:43 AM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc23 View Post
Most teams are going to be slightly worse for atleast this season since the cap just dropped.
Most teams? I'm not sure that is true, or even makes sense.

Not sure if the Kings/Hawks/Blues/Wild/Sharks/Coyotes are worse really, as far as the West goes. Lower tier teams are mostly improved (except Calgary). Ducks may have lost a little firepower.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:47 AM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
The pre 2011 Gillis would have either Grabo or Brunner under contract by now.
The pre 2011 Gills bought out Grabo.

LiquidSnake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:47 AM
StringerBell

Depends on Luongo, injuries and Tortorella. Those are the three X-factors that will determine whether we rise or drop in the standings and how far we go in the playoffs. It's too early to call it either way.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 04:22 PM
David71

TIME to bump up this thread. he needs to do something asap. the team is scoring 1 goal every night and losing. NO goal support. still a 1 line team. goaltending isnt the issue. the lineup that torts has is the one that wont even make the playoffs. systemwise i think the guys are getting it. but to me, there are still flaws.. defense still giving odd man rushes with torts agressive style. pk-excellent powerplay= still crap. time to shake up the core.

The only scary thing is so far gillis has been losing while making deals... havent been that great. plus too many guys with NTCS. he's gotta ask 1 or 2 players to waive them. its a proffessional sport. do what's best for the team now+the future.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Jefe88

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
TIME to bump up this thread. he needs to do something asap. the team is scoring 1 goal every night and losing. NO goal support. still a 1 line team. goaltending isnt the issue. the lineup that torts has is the one that wont even make the playoffs. systemwise i think the guys are getting it. but to me, there are still flaws.. defense still giving odd man rushes with torts agressive style. pk-excellent powerplay= still crap. time to shake up the core.

The only scary thing is so far gillis has been losing while making deals... havent been that great. plus too many guys with NTCS. he's gotta ask 1 or 2 players to waive them. its a proffessional sport. do what's best for the team now+the future.
The one thing I hope he doesn't do is a panic trade for a rental, giving up assets we don't have, just to make the playoffs and keep his job.

Jefe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Ryp37

I'd rather we not waste a pick/good prospect and wait until next season so we can get some of the young guys into the lineup and see what's in free agency

Ryp37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Tanevian*

Quote:
Just because the words are spelled correctly and you tapped submit reply doesn't mean anything in this paragraph is true. Of course, "large contingent" can mean whatever you decide it does.

BTW, you forgot Bertuzzi, Linden & Jovo in your list.

Tanevian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 05:31 PM
dwarf

vCash: 1043
Well this thread is about how long MG's leash is.

The good: He is an ex player agent. He can help bring in ufas.

The bad: He keeps trading away draft picks. This is the team's future.

The ugly: Can't seem to evaluate player drive and talent. IE booth ballard bernier.

I am sick and tired of us throwing away draft picks year after year that turn into the players of today.

Every year our team does one or two minor things at the deadline that supposedly will make the GM look good if they go all the way. Either grow some stones and go ALL in, or don't bother.

IMO trading away first round picks is the worst mistake a GM can make unless the return is remarkable. And we have never made such a deal that would turn us from a contender to cup finalist ever.

I actually liked what Gillis did at last years draft acquiring more high end prospects for a change, and it showed to me he might be learning how to be a good GM.

I think he has made a serious mistake this year and last, by signing players early in the season to long term deals. I think its human nature to perform when you have something to prove, and its best to wait to pay for something done, and not a promise.

I do like Gillis, and think he is a smart man. I believe he will learn from his mistakes over time. From Sundin's ten mill contract, to bringing in players from sad sack teams, to signing the Sedins in the early part of this season. I hope he can see the action and reaction of the mistakes he makes, and learns from them.

I think firing Gillis would be foolish, as we would have to go through years of a new GM's learning curve. Yes the team is struggling right now, and most of us fans knew this would be a tough year with the cap coming down.

But we don't need to see a new Neely trade every few years do we? Lets stick with one GM who hopefully figures things out and will do his best for us.

dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Bure All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Depends on Luongo, injuries and Tortorella. Those are the three X-factors that will determine whether we rise or drop in the standings and how far we go in the playoffs. It's too early to call it either way.
those are the factors? how about the fact that we can't score 3 goals in a game to save our lives? This teams #1 issue is goal scoring, and it has been for the past since our Cup run, except now it's worse than ever.

Santo as a 2nd line center is a complete ****ing joke, and this team doesn't have a hope in hell of winning a single playoff series if that remains the case... let alone make the playoffs which as already looking to be a struggle

Bure All Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 05:45 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure All Day View Post
those are the factors? how about the fact that we can't score 3 goals in a game to save our lives? This teams #1 issue is goal scoring, and it has been for the past since our Cup run, except now it's worse than ever.

Santo as a 2nd line center is a complete ****ing joke, and this team doesn't have a hope in hell of winning a single playoff series if that remains the case... let alone make the playoffs which as already looking to be a struggle
Was Santorelli even on the team yet when I made that post?

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 05:46 PM
SeawaterOnIce

If we miss the playoffs, perhaps it's time to demote Gillis to a senior VP and director of hockey operations and hire a new general manager? Similar to the Burke and Nonis tandem? (He would have had 3 years to address our scoring issues once the 2013-14 season concludes)

Gillis is patient and is able to effectively negotiate player contract extensions/signings, but holy ****, his ability to ***** talent and execute trades has been pitiful thus far.

Fire all the professional scouts. Whoever is responsible for recommending Booth, Sturm, MA Gragnani, Barker, Hordichuk, and Ebbett needs to be fired asap. There have been a few hits, but more misses. Unacceptable.

SeawaterOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Bure All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Was Santorelli even on the team yet when I made that post?
**** didn't notice how old that was, I guess we didn't realize how difficult scoring was going to be this year at that time.

Funny how all your 'x-factors' have been non-issues, but we are still struggling haha

Bure All Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 05:53 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just another pawn View Post
Whoever is responsible for recommending Booth, Sturm, MA Gragnani, Barker, Hordichuk, and Ebbett needs to be fired asap. There have been a few hits, but more misses.
Ebbett was a very good 13th forward. Hordichuk is no different from any other below average 4th liner around the league. Every team has one at one time or another.

Successful pick-ups: Ehrhoff, Garrison, Hamhuis, Demitra, Wellwood, Sundin, Samuelsson, Malhotra, Higgins, Lapierre, Weise, Santorelli, Richardson, Stanton.

---

I wish the critics around here would pay more attention to other teams to get a better idea of what the average rate of success is when it comes to free agents or trades. Stephen Weiss was a popular name around here and for $4.9m for 5 years with an NMC he has contributed 3 points this season. In the meantime they let go of a pretty decent #2C in Filpulla who's doing really well in Tampa.

Last edited by Tiranis: 11-20-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote