HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jarome Iginla

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Til the End of Time

vCash: 500
Jarome Iginla

let's talk about jarome iginla.

i was very excited when the penguins got him. its truly a privilege to watch an all-time great player and person like him wear the penguins sweater. through the roof when the pens got him. i thought finally, at long last, sid had his winger. but that hasnt come to fruition for a myriad of reasons (injuries and coach).

basically i want to know what people think of iginla thus far. has he met expectations, exceeding them, or underhwelmed?

myself, i have been underwhelmed. i knew we weren't getting the art ross iginla, who was a demon battling along the boards and played a tenacious game. i expected him to have slow down somewhat. but damn he has really looked timid out there, consistently losing board battles. very underwhelming in that regard. he's basically looked like a slower james neal, which i am very surprised by. he hasn't been able to create much on his own.

with that said, we should certainly consider that hes been on a new team and (foolishly) playing a new position. him needing some time to become acclimated is reasonable. also worth considering that despite him not creating much on his own, he's still tied for league lead in assists. so, while he isnt creating plays on his own, hes certainly been competent enough to keep the offensive play going.

also, this thread may seem like bad timing, as he probably had his best game last night playing with sid. finally looked to be creating chances on his own. im very glad the team seems to have gotten their act together, because if the team imploded with fleury and was quickly eliminated, we never would have actually gotten a chance to see iginla in a more suitable role.

basically i think hes been underwhelming but there are legit signs he will improve. cautiously optimistic.

share your thoughts on his play please.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:06 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt
ti kallisti

Quietest 8 points I've seen in a long time.

However, I think he's finally in a position now to succeed, even if it took entirely too long and will run with it. It isn't even so much linemates as being awkwardly forced onto the "wrong" side of the ice. I think he'll play a lot less tentative now that he doesn't have to overthink things.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

I've reserved judgement until he got with Sid. He immediately had his best game. As soon as they get some practice and more games in we'll see what he can do.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:09 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

I give him an incomplete for his 5-on-5 play because he's been totally misused.

Other than that, I think his presence has completely reshaped the Penguins power play and is one of the reasons it's humming along near 50%. He's going to be instrumental for the Pens if they continue to advance.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:11 PM
wgknestrick

I remember people laughing at me when I said I wouldn't trade Dupuis for Igilna straight up. Do they still laugh now that they've seen them side by side?

He's a good and likable guy whose top 6 days are behind him. I don't want the Pens wasting more than 2mil on him if they retain him. Hell, I even think BB is currently better than Jarome 5v5. His wheels are shot.

I am caut opt too.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Pretty much agree with the others.

He's made the PP more lethal than it's been in a long time.

You kind of have to reserve judgement on his ES play so far because he's been so misused. He's played out of position too often and hasn't gotten to play with Sid until last game.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:13 PM
cassius

Right handed shot on the PP is an absolute game changer. One that we have needed for MANY years. It totally changes the dynamic of the PP and makes it so tough for teams to "cheat" towards the right sidewall (Sid/Geno's domain) on the PK.

Iginla has been quiet so far, but I am not worried at all. Dude is a hell of a player and we are truly lucky to have him on this roster.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Dying Alive
I love u Phil

I think he's done everything they've asked of him and been as successful as you could ask for given the situations he's been put in.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:16 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
I remember people laughing at me when I said I wouldn't trade Dupuis for Igilna straight up. Do they still laugh now that they've seen them side by side?

He's a good and likable guy whose top 6 days are behind him. I don't want the Pens wasting more than 2mil on him if they retain him. Hell, I even think BB is currently better than Jarome 5v5. His wheels are shot.

I am caut opt too.
He's put up 8 pts in 5 games without playing anywhere near his potential. The further we go in the postseason, the more that's on the line, the better he'll get. Keep him on Sid's RW and let them gel.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:24 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post

I am caut opt too.
It depends. If I'm getting LW Iggy, then no, I don't make that trade. But RW Iggy gives the Pens something they don't have and is harder to find than what Dupuis brings (WHICH IS GREAT. I just said a week okay Dupuis should be a higher priority than Iggy. But now, if they've made that change, let's see what happens)

Old
05-10-2013, 01:25 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

I think he's done very well considering he's been mostly shoehorned into a position he hasn't played regularly in *15 years* -- but even if people are indeed underwhelmed by his work at even strength, there's no question that the balance his shot adds to the power play has been critical. There's a damn good reason we're seeing power play goals coming from so many different spots on the ice, and Iginla's presence -- even the threat of his shot on that side -- is a huge part of that.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Mordax
Winner winner

Ya I'm not really sure what people were expecting, but the guy leads the entire playoffs in assists, all while "seeming pretty mediocre" (according to many), playing out of his normal position and without playing almost any time w/ Sid.

I'm pretty pleased so far

Old
05-10-2013, 01:39 PM
JWells16

He's been quietly putting up points, and he hasn't even been used correctly. He looked like a different player the second half of last game.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:48 PM
spcastlemagic

Now that he's where he's supposed to be, we will get a sense of what he can contribute five on five more clearly. For all the deficiencies in his game that I've seen so far, the seven assists aren't a fluke. He is a playmaker in tight unlike anyone else we have at the wing position. He is going to rack up points all playoffs long, especially if him and Sid reach that level I think they are capable of.

This is just a hunch, but I have a feeling his leadership was instrumental in getting the team mentally settled going into last night as well.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:56 PM
johnniewalker

While I will be the first to agree that Iginla has not wowed with his play in the way that Sid and Geno do when they are on, he has definitely produced. He isn't going to burn you with his speed the way Sid can, and he isn't going to wow you with his dominant puck skills like Malkin can, but he goes out and contributes to making plays. Part of the amazing Sid play from last night was made possible by the crossing play that he and Iginla made in the neutral zone, and the speed with while Jarome joined that rush to give a shooting option that Nabokov couldn't ignore.

When you take into consideration that he has largely been used on the left wing, and you consider that he had not done that previously in his 14 years in the NHL, you have to give him a bit of a pass. Yes, he is not always taking passes cleanly, or always winning battles, or even always dishing the puck the way a player maybe expected him to, but when you suddenly find yourself doing all of those things from the opposite side, it can be a challenge.

He's a right shot, so he has gone from making and receiving passes on his forehand to doing it all on his backhand. He has gone from battling and advancing the puck in his forehand direction to doing all of that on his backhand. That certainly takes some adjusting, especially to do it with entirely new team mates that you have no chemistry with and to do it largely in the playoffs when the speed of the game is so much higher.

Regardless of the many different challenges we've thrown at him from that standpoint, he has produced 8 points in 5 games, second only on the team to Malkin (tied with Crosby, but in 1 more game). He has also produced 5 of those 8 points at even strength, which is impressive given how much has been forced to change about his game in the first of those 4 games.

I expect him to be a force in these playoffs if we are able to defeat the Isles and continue on. Especially considering what we paid to acquire him, he will more than make that worthwhile for me if he continues helping the power play and continues to produce anywhere close to this level at even strength.

Old
KiuasWarrior

There's no doubt he's a crucial "piece" to our playoff run. He's putting up great numbers while not looking so dominant on the ice. If he continues at this pace, happy dude right here.

Old
djt153

i still am not enjoying his game. it seems like he flubs a lot of really easy plays

Old
05-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Honour Over Glory

It's round 1. Have some patience, the guy has 8pts in 5 games while not really even being the Iginla we know him to be. This thread, like so many other threads right now, are major overreaction threads.

Chill the **** out.

Old
05-10-2013, 02:00 PM
LetangInTheSO

Until yesterday, DB grossly miscast Iggy and he still performed admirably. He's not going to be the marquee guy on any team's top line, but he's still a bonafide top 6 player who is offensively creative, tough, and a threat to score at any time. If we acquired him for nothing other than his RH bomb on the PP, I'd be happy. But I think he'll add the most value on Sid's wing. Between Sid & Dupes, the first line has enough "energy." What it needs - and what Iginla brings - is offensive creativity to complement Sid's and another shooting threat to keep goalies honest. I expect him to ride shotty with Sid through the playoffs and to perform very well in that role.

Old
05-10-2013, 02:01 PM
Jaded-Fan

With how Bylsma has misused him, your question is like asking how the new Lamborghini is doing when you have been using it for off road towing of farm implements.

Last night seems to be an indication of what we expected.

Old
05-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death Arcana

vCash: 2626
He's made the PP absolutely lethal to the point where it has, and will continue to win games for us...that's nothing to shake off. Him being a right-hander changes everything.

5-on-5 has been very underwhelming, but I'll reserve bashing him until he plays consistently on the proper wing with a guy he at least may develop chemistry with. Iginla on the left wing with Malkin was a disaster on multiple fronts...and one that just about anyone could have seen coming. You don't take a guy who has played right wing exclusively since around 1998 and make him change to his off-wing, especially when the two right wingers in the top six can both play left wing themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
With how Bylsma has misused him, your question is like asking how the new Lamborghini is doing when you have been using it for off road towing of farm implements.

Last night seems to be an indication of what we expected.
Succinctly stated.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
05-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams

Much better than Morrow. Not great, not bad, producing. If we are able to advance, I expect him to get even better.

Old
05-10-2013, 02:16 PM
madinsomniac

Yes, I was amazed at how many people were blasting on him for his play even up to this point... he was brand new to the system, playing often out of position and with different linemates a lot, yet he was producing more than most of our previous years trade deadline aquisitions and frankly he has made the PP into a legit lethal force.

I am really hoping that he clicks with Crosby and they dominate from here on out

Old
05-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

It's Jerome, not Jarome. Sorry pet peeve just like Jordan Stall or James Neil.

Old
05-10-2013, 02:21 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
It's Jerome, not Jarome. Sorry pet peeve just like Jordan Stall or James Neil.
joke?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarome_Iginla

Closed Thread