HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL - Finals, Draft, Firings

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2013, 02:51 AM
Derp Kassian

vCash: 500
Please win the cup

Old
05-24-2013, 06:37 AM
Al Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
Translated into Western Conference propaganda: the East doesn't play defense.
I don't remember Ellerby, Scuderi, or Regher being shut-down guys when they were with Eastern teams (well Scuds moved in that direction when he was teamed with Gill), although I do think I remember hearing a collective sigh of relief from the SE division teams when Ellerby left earlier this year. From the relatively few times I've seen the Kings play, they are a solid, well-coached team with a ridiculously good goalie.

I don't think anyone in the west is going to beat Detroit with the way they've been playing. Last night was a pretty complete throttling of the Hawks.

Old
05-24-2013, 07:15 AM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

Scheduling really sucks right now. No sunday afternoon games.

Old
05-24-2013, 08:21 AM
SirBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley View Post
Scheduling really sucks right now. No sunday afternoon games.
I hate those for some reason.

Old
05-24-2013, 08:30 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
I hate those for some reason.
Me too. That's family time for me with the wife and kids

Prefer the game being at night but I understand for the Euro fans who get to enjoy watching the game at normal hours for them

Old
05-24-2013, 08:58 AM
KIRK

Quote:
I will just say that Crosby is still getting crucified for losing his composure in the playoffs last year. It doesn't matter what he does for the rest of his career, people are still going to bring that up and cite it as an example of how he's a crybaby, bad leader, etc. Yet Toews will get the same pass he always gets. I guess that's because he has INTANGIBLES while Crosby just has boring old points (11 more in the same amount of games, to be exact). I really don't have anything against Toews but the double standard is almost comical.
Can we please stop calling him Toews and just call him by his proper name . . . Zetterberg's *****.

EDIT: Babcock's **** would be the nickname.

Old
05-24-2013, 09:00 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
I will just say that Crosby is still getting crucified for losing his composure in the playoffs last year. It doesn't matter what he does for the rest of his career, people are still going to bring that up and cite it as an example of how he's a crybaby, bad leader, etc. Yet Toews will get the same pass he always gets. I guess that's because he has INTANGIBLES while Crosby just has boring old points (11 more in the same amount of games, to be exact). I really don't have anything against Toews but the double standard is almost comical.
What did he get in the 2nd period 3 back to back penalties? Best young Captain ever!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Can we please stop calling him Toews and just call him by his proper name . . . Zetterberg's *****.

EDIT: Babcock's **** would be the nickname.

Pretty much, Zetterberg is toying with him

Old
05-24-2013, 09:00 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Smith View Post
I don't remember Ellerby, Scuderi, or Regher being shut-down guys when they were with Eastern teams (well Scuds moved in that direction when he was teamed with Gill), although I do think I remember hearing a collective sigh of relief from the SE division teams when Ellerby left earlier this year. From the relatively few times I've seen the Kings play, they are a solid, well-coached team with a ridiculously good goalie.

I don't think anyone in the west is going to beat Detroit with the way they've been playing. Last night was a pretty complete throttling of the Hawks.
I'm not sure how they'll look against LA.

EDIT: I will say Pens-Wings III would feature one really fascinating thing: You'll have Zetterberg matched on Sid and Datsyuk matched on Geno. The first matchup needs no introduction, and the latter matchup will be nuts. First time, Geno wasn't healthy. Second time, it was Datsyuk. This time, both relatively healthy (yes, Geno's shoulder). Those two are going to be like dueling jedi out there against one another. Lots of steps to get there, but boy would those two matchups be amazing to watch.

Old
05-24-2013, 09:02 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Physically LA is really impressive and then there is that guy Quick in nets who doesn't seem to give up more then 2 goals a game. Sick

Old
05-24-2013, 09:05 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Physically LA is really impressive and then there is that guy Quick in nets who doesn't seem to give up more then 2 goals a game. Sick
Yep. San Jose . . . I think Detroit can take them. LA . . . seems to be a big david-goliath thing, although Detroit kind of is taking this whole david thing and running with it.

Old
05-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Yep. San Jose . . . I think Detroit can take them. LA . . . seems to be a big david-goliath thing, although Detroit kind of is taking this whole david thing and running with it.
Detroit has the smarts, it would be a hell of a series. Howard would need to keep playing this way for the Wings to have a chance though

Old
05-24-2013, 09:08 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Detroit has the smarts, it would be a hell of a series. Howard would need to keep playing this way for the Wings to have a chance though
Agreed. Zetterberg and Datsyuk can keep them in it, but Howard will be the key. Babcock too . . . that guy has just been coming up with unreal wrinkles.

Old
05-24-2013, 09:13 AM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
a lack of depth (a pretty terrible bottom-six, no Torres and no Havlįt, a 'top pairing' of Irwin-Boyle) and atrocious special teams are what have done the Sharks in. now tell me, beyond high-end skill, what are the penguins' strengths? if the pens get a chance to meet the kings, of course it'll be tough, but this team can hang with anyone. also it's not like Richards and Carter are unknown entities to this team. i will admit that LA's forecheck is both unrelenting and ferocious. then again, LA can't score (well they can't score consistently, but they do have a knack for clutch goals) and can't win face-offs (Stoll will help that tremendously when he comes back).
Yeah, I'm not sure where this idea that the Pens would get dominated by whoever comes out of the West is coming from. I'm too lazy to look at their actual record vs. the West over the past couple of seasons prior to this one but I know it's very, very good. Quick is unreal but look at what the Pens are doing right now to a guy who would have easily been a Vezina candidate had he not been hurt this season.

Quote:

EDIT: I will say Pens-Wings III would feature one really fascinating thing: You'll have Zetterberg matched on Sid and Datsyuk matched on Geno. The first matchup needs no introduction, and the latter matchup will be nuts. First time, Geno wasn't healthy. Second time, it was Datsyuk. This time, both relatively healthy (yes, Geno's shoulder). Those two are going to be like dueling jedi out there against one another. Lots of steps to get there, but boy would those two matchups be amazing to watch.
It'd be interesting in seeing a Crosby/Zetterberg rematch, actually. Crosby is a better player than he was back then and he's a better player than Toews. I wouldn't be surprised to see Z do a good job against Sid but I'd be very surprised to see him get shut down as completely as Toews has been.

Malkin/Datsyuk would be nuts, I agree.

Old
05-24-2013, 09:15 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not sure where this idea that the Pens would get dominated by whoever comes out of the West is coming from. I'm too lazy to look at their actual record vs. the West over the past couple of seasons prior to this one but I know it's very, very good.

It'd be interesting in seeing a Crosby/Zetterberg rematch, actually. Crosby is a better player than he was back then and he's a better player than Toews. I wouldn't be surprised to see Z do a good job against Sid but I'd be very surprised to see him get shut down as completely as Toews has been.

Malkin/Datsyuk would be nuts, I agree.
No way Sid gets shut down like Toews. Even if he got shut down, it wouldn't be like Toews.

Old
05-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
No way Sid gets shut down like Toews. Even if he got shut down, it wouldn't be like Toews.
Well obviously. He'd have fewer intangibles to shut down.

Old
05-24-2013, 09:21 AM
SirBrad

Quote:
Me too. That's family time for me with the wife and kids

Prefer the game being at night but I understand for the Euro fans who get to enjoy watching the game at normal hours for them
Exactly. The weeks are busy enough it's always nice to have Sunday afternoons for other things...especially this time of the year when the weather is nicer.

Didn't think about the Euro fans though, good point.

Old
05-24-2013, 09:23 AM
SirBrad

LA is tough. I picked them and the Pens in the finals. I think they're going to be very hard to stop again this year. What a great playoff team.

If they don't have to go through Chicago to make it to thw finals, I think it's an easy given they'll be in.

Old
05-24-2013, 09:24 AM
sniugneP

Quote:
Agreed. Zetterberg and Datsyuk can keep them in it, but Howard will be the key. Babcock too . . . that guy has just been coming up with unreal wrinkles.
If we face Wings in SCF, it's pretty much guarantee that Babcock will out-coach DB.

Old
05-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
If we face Wings in SCF, it's pretty much guarantee that Babcock will out-coach DB.
Too bad we have no precedent that says otherwise.

Old
05-24-2013, 10:29 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Quote:
Too bad we have no precedent that says otherwise.
2. Actually, even I will confess that, after getting taken to the woodshed by Capuano, Bylsma has been getting the better of MacLean, a Babcock disciple.

Old
05-24-2013, 11:26 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:

2. Actually, even I will confess that, after getting taken to the woodshed by Capuano, Bylsma has been getting the better of MacLean, a Babcock disciple.
wasn't it basically a wrinkle in the breakout after game 2 that confused the hell out of the Wings in 2009? And a little tiny thing too, if I recall correctly? Having a winger fake taking the puck behind the net and then the D picking it up and firing it the opposite way of the fake? I seem to remember that.

Old
05-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
I agree. Sid is much better now than he was then, and Lidstrom won't be there to help Zetterberg this time. I think that Zetterberg can definitely limit what Sid can do out there, but he won't be shutdown the way Toews has been or the way he was back in 2009.

Sid actually hasn't played a game against Detroit since the 09-10 season, and I'm sure he'll feel like he has something to prove against them.

Old
05-24-2013, 11:33 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

I hate talking about what ifs. I don't want to discuss what's going to happen in round 4 when I don't even think the Penguins survive Round 2. But I'll just say this: If/When Crosby and Zetterberg (and Datsyuk) face each other, it won't be so much about what happens on the ice, but what happens in Sid's head.

Old
05-24-2013, 11:39 AM
cheesedanish87

You guys are to hard on Toews, hes one of the best players in the world, its been a rough playoffs for him, but superstars are gonna have rough playoffs sometimes.

Old
05-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
You guys are to hard on Toews, hes one of the best players in the world, its been a rough playoffs for him, but superstars are gonna have rough playoffs sometimes.
What? This is HF Boards and he is the best player in the world followed by Ovechkin!

Closed Thread