HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Joel Quenneville - Most overrated coach ever?

Old
05-30-2013, 11:54 AM
LetsGoBLUES91

vCash: 500
One of the most underrated coaches ever. Letting him go is a main and often forgot reason the Blues were in shambles and are not yet fully recovered.

LetsGoBLUES91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Reclamation Project
Technically, Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance Kuja View Post
We have a new genius. His name is Jamie Kompon.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 12:04 PM
Yobbles
Devils/Hawks

Quenneville is definitely overrated. What has he ever done?

The Hawks need to fire him, and hire John Brophy. Now THERE was a coach who knew how to win... the Hawks could do wonders with a guy like that.

Yobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 12:31 PM
SouthsideHawkGuy

For those fans who want to get rid of Q...two words.

Alpo Suhonen.

Q has his foibles, but it could be worse. A LOT worse.

SouthsideHawkGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 12:55 PM
ItsMyFault
Fan of Losing Teams

Q is still overrated, but he's proven than he can make adjustments when his back is against the wall. I'll give him credit for that.

ItsMyFault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

Looking at his track record it would actually make more sense to ask if he was one of the greatest coaches of all time.

Joe Sakic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:19 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

I still am not a huge Quenneville fan, but his adjustments worked big-time and you have to give him credit for that. Also proved all the "he can't control his team's emotions" people wrong.

I'm still wary, though. For one, it shouldn't have taken until after Game 4 and a 3-1 series deficit to make some changes in the first place. And Stalberg sitting the first two games against a team that everyone knew struggled against speedy and aggressive forechecks (note all the D-zone turnovers by the Wings) was very stupid as well. You ice the best possible lineup in the playoffs, end of story. Oh, and the head games with Saad and Stalberg prior to Game 1 were a big mistake. Saad seems to have lost his offensive confidence, and fought the puck all series long except for one good game (either Game 3 or Game 4, can't remember).

Chris Hansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:38 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I had to read through this thread because I honestly thought that everyone else thought of Quinns as one of the best coaches in the league today. I am really surprised to see that there are people out there who might think he isn't.

The guy is great and has always done exceptionally well as an NHL coach. How can anyone contest that fact?

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:45 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Coach Q defeated the Red Wings, woah.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:52 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 934
Bylsma says hi.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 02:00 PM
HawkinMI

Tough to judge him as coach of the Hawks, he's always had a great team here. Although, now he has been to 3 WCFs in 5 years. Hard to dispute that.

This year he has been a lot better at keeping the team in check. Seems like the team finally bought into his system again and it paid off.

He waited too long to make adjustments against Detroit, after game 2 or 3 he should have realized the Hawks were not going to be able to win playing their usual game. But at the end of the series, his adjustments and the team's efforts paid off.

Every year when things look grim for the Hawks we throw Q under the bus, but the truth is he's probably a hall of fame coach and we don't know how lucky we are to have him. Why fire him and take a shot at a complete x factor when he's won a Cup in the last 3 years and taken the Hawks to again, 3 WCFs in 5 years.

It's not his fault the team didn't perform up to snuff in 2011 and 2012, and honestly 2011 wasn't even that bad. The roster was depleted and went through a huge turnover, and yet they were one Chris Campoli screwup from changing the 2011 playoffs entirely. You can't expect repeated success right away with that kind of change, it takes a while to gel.. and it appears they finally have this year.

HawkinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 02:20 PM
Uber Coca

He must be doing something well given his record.

Uber Coca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Blues88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMyFault View Post
Q is still overrated, but he's proven than he can make adjustments when his back is against the wall. I'll give him credit for that.
Have you watched a Hawks game this year that left you satisfied? It seems that winning games isn't enough for you as a Hawks fan.

Part 2: How could Q possibly be overrated, especially in this season where the Hawks are in the WCF and owned the regular season?

Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 11:27 PM
notheroic
#MurderSkate

Send a message via Skype™ to notheroic
I think Q is probably one of the best regular season coaches, period. He knows how to maximize his team in the regular.

That being said, he gets way too hot under the collar come playoff time, and our Hawks teams who didn't make the run reflect that. Babcock was this close to putting us out because Q just could not keep himself composed and made horrid decisions(throwing a hissy fit with Saad and Stalberg who had fine 1st rounds.) It took to the brink of elimination before he decided enough was enough.

I also HATE his choice in assistants. I do love our PK of course, but come on. Torch could run a much better PP then Kompon is doing right now. I don't like his buddy routine getting Haviland canned too.

He's up there with coaches, but he definitely has some chinks in his armor.

If we lose to the Kings, some part of it is certainly going to be because Sutter is just better at coaching then Q. He has such an even keel, like Babs.

notheroic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 02:45 AM
ItsMyFault
Fan of Losing Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues88 View Post
Have you watched a Hawks game this year that left you satisfied? It seems that winning games isn't enough for you as a Hawks fan.

Part 2: How could Q possibly be overrated, especially in this season where the Hawks are in the WCF and owned the regular season?
Yes, I have watched plenty of Hawks games this year that have left me satisfied. Winning games playing ****** is a bad habit and it doesn't work against great teams. Detroit almost beat the Hawks because of that reason -- that may or may not have woke the Hawks up for this next series now with LA. All I ask from my team is to give it their all, if they lose and give it their all, I'll be satisfied. I just can't stand teams that think they can just show up and win because they're more talented than their opponent.

Q was the reason why they won those games? Honestly, the Hawks started out great but finished the season rather poorly (even with the wins they got). He's overrated because he almost got out coached for the majority of the series by Babcock. For Q with all the talent that he is on his team, the regular season isn't where he is going to be judged. It's how he coaches and makes adjustments in the playoffs. He hasn't had these guys motivated to play some of these games. That's partly on the coach to do so. While I think he's a solid coach, he's nothing more than that. I'd put him in the middle of the pack among coaches.

ItsMyFault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 09:47 PM
Hawkyfan99

Offhand, I can only think of a few coaches rather have than Q. And the primary one or two aren't available.

But, I'd sure like to give him some heat about his staff. The power play is repulsive.

Hawkyfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 11:21 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez68 View Post
Pretty much. Guy has absolutely zero ability to adjust. Doesn't have clue number one about how to run a PP. Should have been fired 2 years ago. The fact that this guy was nominated for the Jack Adams is a disgrace.
You spelled Claude Julien wrong. Seriously, you really did just describe Claude Julien pretty much perfectly.

Part of me wants him gone but part of me likes the fact that Boston keeps having continued success...

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 01:14 AM
rajvandam
Unregistered User

isn't this the 3rd time coach q's lead the hawks to the WCF? 3rd time in the last 5 years? come on guys, that's freaking amazing...

i might be wrong on that stat but '09, '10 and now '13 right?

i think you guys want the hawks to demolish teams 6-0 every game... the fans' expecations need to be readjusted, we've been in the age of parity for about 8 years now guys, a team like that doesn't exist anymore... possibly the penguins but their top 2 centres are crosby and malkin

rajvandam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 01:18 AM
rajvandam
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
You spelled Claude Julien wrong. Seriously, you really did just describe Claude Julien pretty much perfectly.

Part of me wants him gone but part of me likes the fact that Boston keeps having continued success...
if it aint broke...

rajvandam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:22 AM
The Frenchman

so what do you guys think now?

The Frenchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:37 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

I think he's a damn good coach.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:45 AM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frenchman View Post
so what do you guys think now?
Largely the same as I did in post #82 in this thread.

Chris Hansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:23 AM
EmeticDonut

His choices are sometimes headscratchers and he has a knack of being too stubborn at times and unwilling to adjust. However I do think the good qualities outweigh the bad ones. And listening to the players after the Cup win it's clear that they have great respect for him and gave credit to him for navigating them to a Cup win. He has created a system that every player buys into and it's solid enough to fall back on if the performances of the players aren't up to par and give the team a chance to win regardless.

He definitely has a great feel for the pulse of the team and that quality was especially important in a shortened season and the results speak for themselves. And his record speaks for itself as well, ~1200 games coached, 600+ wins, 2 Stanley Cups (+1 as an assistant), easily among the upper echelon of coaches. It could be argued that he has been blessed with some stacked teams over the years, but on the one hand a stacked team that is poorly coached rarely see success.

So as far as I am concerned, I am happy with Coach Q and he looks to be the right fit for the Hawks and considering the options out there I don't want him replaced, unless something catastrophic happens in the upcoming years.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 05:17 AM
Bure All Day

you know it's good when you win the Cup and still complain that your team isn't good enough.. #canuckprobs #7yearsofAV

Bure All Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 05:43 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

he always was the same. He has his good sides and bad sides. He now has lots of wins and 2 Cups to show for

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote