*OFFICIAL* London Knights 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 08:04 PM
krazy kanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
I love the talk of bigger role... only thing bigger is being a captain. Horvat was the reason for the playoff success. He shutdown the other teams top forwards at 17. Struggled a little against Scheifle but nobody was going to stop him.
I agree completely, I thought he was brilliant. As for the Schiefele matchup, I thought that was very interesting to watch. He did have some struggles, but parts of his game were on the level with Mark. For example, he dominated him in the faceoff circle, and did a better job in shutdown situations.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:46 PM
NHL Fanatic

I feel as though Horvat should be back in the OHL next year but he won't be. Especially with the goalie circus and that trade, the team may feel pressure to play him in a bottom 6 role, right away.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:20 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Quote:
I love the talk of bigger role... only thing bigger is being a captain. Horvat was the reason for the playoff success. He shutdown the other teams top forwards at 17. Struggled a little against Scheifle but nobody was going to stop him. Trocheck was like a walk in the park. Scored the majority of the big goals in the big games. Any line he was put on during the season he made it better. He got the Ruperts going when they were spinning their wheels. Took all the big draws. Killed penalties took abuse infront on the net on the PP.

He'll come back and assume the same role he did last year only with a letter on his jersey probably the C and slot in behind Domi(depending on if he returns) as the #2 center.

He'll get his time at the WJC and probably be a key player for Sutter.
By "bigger" I meant more in terms of just taking his game to the next level...especially in terms of offense - b/c you could definitely see by the end of the year his offensive skill emerging to a higher degree than before.

I'll actually be a bit disappointed if he's kept up with the Canucks - just because I don't feel that at this stage playing a bottom six (maybe even 4th line) role would be very good for his development. I think he's far better off in London.

On another note, article from LFP on McCarron: http://www.lfpress.com/2013/07/01/bi...gan-university

Nothing really new in it - just that he's still considering his options, the Habs haven't directed him one way or the other, but he'll discuss it with them.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:41 AM
Bryanbryoil
Magician

Hi guys I was looking for info on what kind of a game Platzer plays, his strengths and weaknesses as well as his upside and I figured what better place to ask than here among Knights fans? Thanks!

07-02-2013, 05:48 AM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Hi guys I was looking for info on what kind of a game Platzer plays, his strengths and weaknesses as well as his upside and I figured what better place to ask than here among Knights fans? Thanks!
Strengths - good down low, good passer, willing to anything to help out the team. Solid on his skates. Doesn't blow you away with speed.

Weaknesses - skating can improve, get stronger.

He was stuck on the fourth line last year and didn't get a tonne of ice time. Played very good in the playoffs. His line did some damage in the first 2 series.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:56 AM
nelli27

Quote:
Strengths - good down low, good passer, willing to anything to help out the team. Solid on his skates. Doesn't blow you away with speed.

He was stuck on the fourth line last year and didn't get a tonne of ice time. Played very good in the playoffs. His line did some damage in the first 2 series.
To that I'll just add that he has good hands, right shot, he's a smooth player, lacking in toughness.

Old
07-02-2013, 11:54 AM
GoKnightsGo44

Returning Knights that are NHL Drafted

Here is the list of Drafted knights set to return

Bo Horvat C 2013 NHL Entry Vancouver 1 9
Max Domi C 2013 NHL Entry Phoenix 1 12
Nikita Zadorov D 2013 NHL Entry Buffalo 1 16
Remi Elie L 2013 NHL Entry Dallas 2 40
Kyle Platzer C 2013 NHL Entry Edmonton 4 96
Miles Liberati D 2013 NHL Entry Vancouver 7 205
Olli Maatta D 2012 NHL Entry Pittsburgh 1 22
Chris Tierney C 2012 NHL Entry San Jose 2 55
Josh Anderson L 2012 NHL Entry Columbus 4 95
Ryan Rupert C 2012 NHL Entry Toronto 6 157

Justin Sefton 3rd round pick expired rights.
Micheal McCarren 2013 NHL Entry Montreal 1 25
Anthony Stolarz 2012 NHL Entry Philly 3

So thats 13 potential MHL draftees including 5 first round picks, 2 seconds.

Last edited by GoKnightsGo44: 07-02-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old
07-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Bryanbryoil
Magician

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelli27 View Post
To that I'll just add that he has good hands, right shot, he's a smooth player, lacking in toughness.
Thanks guys, is he gritty at all or does he avoid puck battles? Do you guys see NHL potential in him?

Old
07-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Thanks guys, is he gritty at all or does he avoid puck battles? Do you guys see NHL potential in him?
I feel that he may shy away from puck battles because A) he doesn't yet have the size and B) he doesn't need to...it isn't his game really.
He is crafty and has the ability to score in bunches through minor hockey. Due to the talent on the Knights he really hasn't played with the top players and had the ice time needed to excel. I sort of see him being a lot like Tierney in that sense and if that is a correct comparison, you will see a bit of physicality to his game start to come around as he fills out, and I also expect to see more point totals as he gets a bigger role in years to come.
I believe it will be dependant on these developments as to if he ever makes the nhl....with that said, he has the right skillset to be working with.

Old
07-02-2013, 02:22 PM
aresknights

Pretty much agree 77. Good skill set and should really improve on his PT totals the next 2 seasons as he gets stronger. Hopefully London can hang onto him. If he gets moved, expect bigger #s quicker.
He's smart offensively, and just needs to be put in a role that allows him to grow ( as u said ala Tierney)
I do think hell be a bit more physical than Tierney thou. He played on D for 3 weeks and showed well ( althou puck battles were a lil tough but that's expected for a 17 yr old F on D)
He also tried to play the 4th line energy role and threw more hits than Tierney ever did. Good cycle game. He's no banger ala Rhino but I think he'll be fine physically, puck battles and hits. Just takes time

Old
07-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Pretty much agree 77. Good skill set and should really improve on his PT totals the next 2 seasons as he gets stronger. Hopefully London can hang onto him. If he gets moved, expect bigger #s quicker.
He's smart offensively, and just needs to be put in a role that allows him to grow ( as u said ala Tierney)
I do think hell be a bit more physical than Tierney thou. He played on D for 3 weeks and showed well ( althou puck battles were a lil tough but that's expected for a 17 yr old F on D)
He also tried to play the 4th line energy role and threw more hits than Tierney ever did. Good cycle game. He's no banger ala Rhino but I think he'll be fine physically, puck battles and hits. Just takes time
Oh ya, forgot to mention that....great point you made! Him stepping in and playing D for a bit was exceptional. Really impressed with his backwards skating and versatility. More I think about it, this kid is going to be a steal as a 4th rounder.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:27 PM
GangGreen

Quote:
I love the talk of bigger role... only thing bigger is being a captain. Horvat was the reason for the playoff success. He shutdown the other teams top forwards at 17. Struggled a little against Scheifle but nobody was going to stop him. Trocheck was like a walk in the park. Scored the majority of the big goals in the big games. Any line he was put on during the season he made it better. He got the Ruperts going when they were spinning their wheels. Took all the big draws. Killed penalties took abuse infront on the net on the PP.

He'll come back and assume the same role he did last year only with a letter on his jersey probably the C and slot in behind Domi(depending on if he returns) as the #2 center.

He'll get his time at the WJC and probably be a key player for Sutter.
If Horvat returns, I don't see any way how he wouldn't be the #1 center. With Domi on LW, and hopefully McCarron on RW. The 2nd line would probably include Tierney, Anderson and whoever.

I've been a Canucks fans for many moons now, and I honestly cannot remember the last time an 18 y.o. played for them. Probably the Sedin's, and they were #2 and #3 picks. I know the Canucks have a need at center, but free agency is still out there and they have created room by trading Schneider. The top 3 centers at this point would probably be H. Sedin, Kesler, and Schroeder. I find Horvat quite comparable to Cody Hodgson, and the Canucks sent him back to juniour twice.

I think the chance of an 18 y.o. sticking depends on the team just as much the player. I agree Columbus, Edmonton or the Islanders selecting Horvat would be the end of him in London. Also agree with Sean, Monahan will most likely be the only one this year from the O.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:04 PM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangGreen View Post
If Horvat returns, I don't see any way how he wouldn't be the #1 center. With Domi on LW, and hopefully McCarron on RW. The 2nd line would probably include Tierney, Anderson and whoever.

I've been a Canucks fans for many moons now, and I honestly cannot remember the last time an 18 y.o. played for them. Probably the Sedin's, and they were #2 and #3 picks. I know the Canucks have a need at center, but free agency is still out there and they have created room by trading Schneider. The top 3 centers at this point would probably be H. Sedin, Kesler, and Schroeder. I find Horvat quite comparable to Cody Hodgson, and the Canucks sent him back to juniour twice.

I think the chance of an 18 y.o. sticking depends on the team just as much the player. I agree Columbus, Edmonton or the Islanders selecting Horvat would be the end of him in London. Also agree with Sean, Monahan will most likely be the only one this year from the O.
You know why Hodgson was sent back correct??? We'll leave it at that. It wasn't do to skills.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:46 PM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
I feel as though Horvat should be back in the OHL next year but he won't be. Especially with the goalie circus and that trade, the team may feel pressure to play him in a bottom 6 role, right away.
Horvat in a Canuck uni next year ? Nah.........maybe for a early game or two but at 18 they will send him back to finish growing into an adult, pro......too young.

As others have stated......this was very buoyant draft with talent that should keep some teams healthy now. But it was not loadd with guys who ' are ready "........couple of the euro guys can jump right in and Avs can use McK......I still bet Jones doesn't make pro just yet.....same for Drouin.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:14 AM
Bryanbryoil
Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
I feel that he may shy away from puck battles because A) he doesn't yet have the size and B) he doesn't need to...it isn't his game really.
He is crafty and has the ability to score in bunches through minor hockey. Due to the talent on the Knights he really hasn't played with the top players and had the ice time needed to excel. I sort of see him being a lot like Tierney in that sense and if that is a correct comparison, you will see a bit of physicality to his game start to come around as he fills out, and I also expect to see more point totals as he gets a bigger role in years to come.
I believe it will be dependant on these developments as to if he ever makes the nhl....with that said, he has the right skillset to be working with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Quote:
Oh ya, forgot to mention that....great point you made! Him stepping in and playing D for a bit was exceptional. Really impressed with his backwards skating and versatility. More I think about it, this kid is going to be a steal as a 4th rounder.
Great stuff guys, is he a top 6 NHLer or bust or could he be a 3rd line guy at the next level if his offense doesn't translate to the pros?

Old
07-03-2013, 05:40 AM
JL17

Quote:
Great stuff guys, is he a top 6 NHLer or bust or could he be a 3rd line guy at the next level if his offense doesn't translate to the pros?
I'm not sure yet. I think he'll top out as a second liner but I think he'll be able to fit in where needed.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:45 PM
nelli27

Knights select d-man Alex Rasner (D) in the first round of the Import Draft. Yawn!
Listen Alex, don't take this the wrong way, but if all goes well you won't be a Knight! Translation = Maatta and Zadorov return making this year's Import Draft irrelevant.
This selection is merely an insurance policy.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Knights select d-man Alex Rasner (D) in the first round of the Import Draft. Yawn!
Listen Alex, don't take this the wrong way, but if all goes well you won't be a Knight! Translation = Maatta and Zadorov return making this year's Import Draft irrelevant.
This selection is merely an insurance policy.
I disagree. This isn't an insurance policy at all. He is a '96 birth year making him 17 years old. He won't step in this year regardless. This is a prospective selection for next year. From the reports I've seen I like what he has to offer.
Last year he played 12 games with the under 16 team and scored 12 goals, 11 assists for 23 points and 8 penalty minutes. Then he played 15 games with the under 18 and got 2 goals 2 assists but 57 penalty minutes.
Sounds to me like an offensively gifted Dman who has a chip on his shoulder.
Beauty pick!

Old
07-03-2013, 12:59 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I disagree. This isn't an insurance policy at all. He is a '96 birth year making him 17 years old. He won't step in this year regardless. This is a prospective selection for next year. From the reports I've seen I like what he has to offer.
Last year he played 12 games with the under 16 team and scored 12 goals, 11 assists for 23 points and 8 penalty minutes. Then he played 15 games with the under 18 and got 2 goals 2 assists but 57 penalty minutes.
Beauty pick!
unfortunately a team cant have 3 Euros on their protected list,so he will have
to be released once the status of Maata and Zadorov is decided by their NHL teams
Like Nelli said an insurance should either current Knight Euros make the show this coming year which I think is very unlikely despite their potential
Too bad looked like a decent pick on paper

Old
07-03-2013, 01:01 PM
nelli27

Quote:
Beauty pick!
After reading K77, I thought maybe I made my judgement in haste. Thanks HL11 for clarifying.

Old
07-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Good point. In my haste to write off this year's draft because of our current import situation (Maatta and Zadorov), I did not stop to consider two years down the road. A rare oversight on my part.
Hmm...I might be confused...I didn't realize that we could only protect 2. So if our two guys come back, we have to release this one according to HL?
Dang. Nelli, looks like you were right! It is insurance in case we loose one....but to my point, I don't think he suits up this year....all though I guess he could, but a 17 year old dman first year in the league on a memorial cup team....I dunno.
Does look decent though....

Old
07-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

So the Knights are actually going to make a 2nd pick too!? I guess if you are following the 'insurance reasons', I guess it makes sense. Wow, if we lost Oli and Zadorov that would be brutal...

Old
07-03-2013, 01:10 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
So the Knights are actually going to make a 2nd pick too!? I guess if you are following the 'insurance reasons', I guess it makes sense. Wow, if we lost Oli and Zadorov that would be brutal...
Brutal ? says who lol,the rest of the league would rejoice,leaving Mermis and Liberati
as lynch pins ouch,never going to happen much to my chagrin

Old
07-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Brutal ? says who lol,the rest of the league would rejoice,leaving Mermis and Liberati
as lynch pins ouch,never going to happen much to my chagrin
oh come on, you know that we would just end up having some 6'6 monsters that are related to hall of fame nhl'ers show up from a college to take their place

Old
07-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Draft fun facts:
So far midway through the 2nd round:

Shortest player is Kris Schmidi, Centre from Zurick GCK at 5'8 145
taken by Kelowna
Tallest player is Jorgen Karterud, Right wing from Valarenga at 6'4 190
taken by Sault Ste Marie

No Chara's or Tolchinsky's to speak of (6'8 & 5'6)

Strangest name where players have been drafted from: Bad Tolz (Germany)

Closed Thread