*OFFICIAL* London Knights 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2013, 02:27 PM
hockeylegend11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
oh come on, you know that we would just end up having some 6'6 monsters that are related to hall of fame nhl'ers show up from a college to take their place
I didn"t know Stolarz and McCarron dads played in the NHL lol

Old
07-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

London's 2nd round import pick is:

Defenceman Tim Bender from Germany 6' 174 1995 birth year 18 years old.

He played for Germany in the under 18's.
Last year, 31 games, 14 goals, 16 assists for 30 points and 53 penalty minutes.

Scouts take:

"Tim Bender is a smart, puck-moving defender who joins the rush, has good play-making instincts, good vision and a very good passing game," Central Scouting's Thomas Roost told NHL.com. "His skating is decent to good, good mobility. He has the tools to become an offensive defenseman. On the downside he is just not physical, not strong enough yet, he has to work on that and also on intensity, but overall I like his smartness and his offensive tools."

Old
07-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 723
McCarron said today at Habs development camp it's 50/50 on what he will decide. Seems really torn by the choice.

Had a long talk with Tinordi about London.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
McCarron said today at Habs development camp it's 50/50 on what he will decide. Seems really torn by the choice.

Had a long talk with Tinordi about London.
50/50 pffftt.....meaning 50 percent chance he comes to London and 50 percent chance he leaves Michigan
He will be a Knight.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:30 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
50/50 pffftt.....meaning 50 percent chance he comes to London and 50 percent chance he leaves Michigan
He will be a Knight.
You would think that will be the case,in the O he can fight,get rid of that stupid mask,
get a gold edc package that he will never use,played until the end of May 2014 guaranteed,fast track to Montreal,no brainer in my view

Old
07-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Bender was also drafted in the USHL by Des Moines but I don't think it'll be hard to decide between the two.

Old
07-03-2013, 04:57 PM
onetimer00

McCarron interview, I think he's coming to London.

http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/video...id=DL|MTL|home

Old
07-03-2013, 05:21 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Bender was also drafted in the USHL by Des Moines but I don't think it'll be hard to decide between the two.
I would say he's more likely to go to Des Moines then he is London. Because right now, where is there room for him with the Knights?

Old
07-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorleaguebrian88 View Post
I would say he's more likely to go to Des Moines then he is London. Because right now, where is there room for him with the Knights?
Right you are. Only way he comes to London is if both our imports leave next year (highly unlikely) as our first rd import pick would be here first.

Old
07-03-2013, 10:09 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
unfortunately a team cant have 3 Euros on their protected list,so he will have
to be released once the status of Maata and Zadorov is decided by their NHL teams
Like Nelli said an insurance should either current Knight Euros make the show this coming year which I think is very unlikely despite their potential
Too bad looked like a decent pick on paper
Since both Määttä and Zadorov are 1st round NHL draft picks, they go on a special list.
I believe the Knights will be allowed to retain the rights to both players selected today.

Quote:
Draft fun facts:
So far midway through the 2nd round:

Shortest player is Kris Schmidi, Centre from Zurick GCK at 5'8 145
taken by Kelowna
Tallest player is Jorgen Karterud, Right wing from Valarenga at 6'4 190
taken by Sault Ste Marie

No Chara's or Tolchinsky's to speak of (6'8 & 5'6)

Strangest name where players have been drafted from: Bad Tolz (Germany)
This kid's pretty big.

Old
07-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Hardyvan123
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraserzed View Post
Here is the list of Drafted knights set to return

Bo Horvat C 2013 NHL Entry Vancouver 1 9
Max Domi C 2013 NHL Entry Phoenix 1 12
Nikita Zadorov D 2013 NHL Entry Buffalo 1 16
Remi Elie L 2013 NHL Entry Dallas 2 40
Kyle Platzer C 2013 NHL Entry Edmonton 4 96
Miles Liberati D 2013 NHL Entry Vancouver 7 205
Olli Maatta D 2012 NHL Entry Pittsburgh 1 22
Chris Tierney C 2012 NHL Entry San Jose 2 55
Josh Anderson L 2012 NHL Entry Columbus 4 95
Ryan Rupert C 2012 NHL Entry Toronto 6 157

Justin Sefton 3rd round pick expired rights.
Micheal McCarren 2013 NHL Entry Montreal 1 25
Anthony Stolarz 2012 NHL Entry Philly 3

So thats 13 potential MHL draftees including 5 first round picks, 2 seconds.
If they all return or heck even 3/4, they have to be the OHL favorites right?

Old
07-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraserzed View Post
Here is the list of Drafted knights set to return

Bo Horvat C 2013 NHL Entry Vancouver 1 9
Max Domi C 2013 NHL Entry Phoenix 1 12
Nikita Zadorov D 2013 NHL Entry Buffalo 1 16
Remi Elie L 2013 NHL Entry Dallas 2 40
Kyle Platzer C 2013 NHL Entry Edmonton 4 96
Miles Liberati D 2013 NHL Entry Vancouver 7 205
Olli Maatta D 2012 NHL Entry Pittsburgh 1 22
Chris Tierney C 2012 NHL Entry San Jose 2 55
Josh Anderson L 2012 NHL Entry Columbus 4 95
Ryan Rupert C 2012 NHL Entry Toronto 6 157

Justin Sefton 3rd round pick expired rights.
Micheal McCarren 2013 NHL Entry Montreal 1 25
Anthony Stolarz 2012 NHL Entry Philly 3

So thats 13 potential MHL draftees including 5 first round picks, 2 seconds.
That's a pretty impressive D.

Would put them at the top of the contenders.

Old
07-04-2013, 12:29 PM
gammaraej

Knights have had a guy drafted from their team in every entry draft since 1969. Will that continue next year? I think we may see that streak end finally. Jammes is the most realistic, but there's a good chance he's traded. Are Centorame and Di Lorenzo on the NHL draft radar?

Old
07-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Knights next year

I think it is certain McCarron is coming next year. He wants to bang and crash, fight and do for Montreal what he was drafted to do. Which he can practice in the ohl, not college.
And all that crap about Horvat not coming back, lets put it this way: I understand the argument that they want to show what they got for the goalie they shipped out (gain), but think of what happens if they rush him and he stinks it up the tyrade that would follow (loss). The loss far outweighs the gain. He is still a kid that will actually grow more and develop his game. He didn't dominate from wire to wire last year. He got better as the year went on (don't beleive me, just look at how he climbed the draft rankings). Horvat will be back, bank it baby

Keeping in mind we have Jammes, Pawley, DiLorenzo, Centorame, Werenski, Seguin, Marner, MacDonald.

(round drafted to nhl in brackets)

Domi(1)- Horvat(1)-McCarron(1)
Tierney(2)- Broadhurst(7) )-Griffith(5)
Anderson(4)-Rupert(6)-Elie(2)
Wely(Camp invite)-Platzer(4)-Rupert(Camp invite)

Zadorov(1)-Maatta(1)
Liberati(7)-Mermis(undrafted)
Sefton(3)

Years ago, I coined a nickname for a player which was 'bagopucks'. Akim Aliu. Which meant I would trade Aliu for as little as a bag of pucks in return. This year, Sefton will be that player. We need to get rid of him. Hopefully somebody takes his place. Man he is awful.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:43 PM
poisonivy
05, 12, 13 Champs

Broadhurst and Griffith won't be back. Now with the draft all said and done, I feel Domi has a better chance of staying with Phoenix than Horvat does with Vancouver.

I doubt Sefton plays another shift in London.

Two overaged defencemen I would like to see targeted are Brady Austin and Craig Duininck.

I'd be surprised if McCarron isn't a Knight.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights4Cup View Post
Broadhurst and Griffith won't be back. Now with the draft all said and done, I feel Domi has a better chance of staying with Phoenix than Horvat does with Vancouver.

I doubt Sefton plays another shift in London.

Two overaged defencemen I would like to see targeted are Brady Austin and Craig Duininck.

I'd be surprised if McCarron isn't a Knight.
See now this I don't understand. Why? Broadhurst was a very late nhl pick and it isn't like he dominated. He is very good. Griffith still has to learn how to play without the puck better than he does. He also needs to meet the Knights goalies still. So wouldn't it make sense to do so in Junior instead of the AHL where he will get leveled as he admires one of his snipes that goes wide? From a development perspective, you get a nice long season including a cup appearance. Also, both Boston and Chicago are not starving for prospects in their system so why rush them? I just don't get it. But maybe my crystal ball isn't as clear as others.

Domi playing in Phoenix next year? Ha! Ya, and Ryan Rupert will be centreing Kessel and JVR in Toronto next year. Come on man, its widely thought of and agreed by most the only NHL ready players from this draft were the top 4. Lets not get crazy now...

Old
07-05-2013, 10:17 AM
aresknights

I doubt everyone's back. Said it before the POS.
Harrington, gone gone
Grif, gone
Broadhurst, I'm not counting on being back ( but maybe we get lucky)
And 1 wouldn't be suprised if one other body gets a few games in the show, and either sticks or sent back

Old
07-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
I doubt everyone's back. Said it before the POS.
Harrington, gone gone
Grif, gone
Broadhurst, I'm not counting on being back ( but maybe we get lucky)
And 1 wouldn't be suprised if one other body gets a few games in the show, and either sticks or sent back
Again, I ask why.
(Harrington I get...I never said he would be back)
Griffith. Right wing. The Providence Bruins have Jamie Taridiff, Jordan Caron, Graham Mink, Alexander Fallstrom, Matt Lindblad and Jared Knight on Right wing alone.
Guaranteed to be ahead of Grif is Knight, Tardiff and Caron. So lets say he makes it as a fourth liner? Explain how that works for his development vs one more year with the Knights.

Broadhurst. Centre. The Chicago Wolves have Schroeder, Friesen, Matsumoto, Matson, Mallet. Not too sure about any of these guys...Friesen is a lock. Mallet should be too. So why does Broadhurst definetly leave? Is he going to centre the 1st or 2nd line for the Wolves? Frankly I don't think he is that good. How would another year of Junior hurt?

Unless there are some facts ie: you have a source, or the numbers actually fit where it makes sense to graduate the player, than this is all speculation. And to that I say, we shall see.

Old
07-05-2013, 10:56 AM
aresknights

Ok

No source, just think Grif is gone. I think he'll be held more accountable in the A. Play the right way or lose minutes. Bring him back here he'll coast around all year til the finals/ Memorial Cup and then play 200ft ( ala this year) he won't develop here, he'll just be taking sniper target practice all year. Selfishly Id love to see him back (hed snipe 50) but from a development stance, I just think the A is better.
Broadhurst IMO is one of our highest hockey IQ Fs, if not best. Chi may need some F bodies. He may be back, and I'd like it, just not counting on it.
I think Bo, Zad, Matta, Domi. Elie all back but I'm worried Domi or Bo gets a few game look ( for entirely different reasons) and makes it tough on their NHL club. I expect them back thou.
Well see

Old
07-05-2013, 12:05 PM
poisonivy
05, 12, 13 Champs

Quote:
See now this I don't understand. Why? Broadhurst was a very late nhl pick and it isn't like he dominated. He is very good. Griffith still has to learn how to play without the puck better than he does. He also needs to meet the Knights goalies still. So wouldn't it make sense to do so in Junior instead of the AHL where he will get leveled as he admires one of his snipes that goes wide? From a development perspective, you get a nice long season including a cup appearance. Also, both Boston and Chicago are not starving for prospects in their system so why rush them? I just don't get it. But maybe my crystal ball isn't as clear as others.

Domi playing in Phoenix next year? Ha! Ya, and Ryan Rupert will be centreing Kessel and JVR in Toronto next year. Come on man, its widely thought of and agreed by most the only NHL ready players from this draft were the top 4. Lets not get crazy now...
Griffith won't improve his game by racking up 100 pts against kids ignoring other parts to the game for long stretches of the season. You make it sound like there won't be room for him because of players like Jamie Tardiff. If an NHL team wants a prospect up, they will get rid of career minor leaguers like Tardiff.

I'm not familiar with Chicago's farm system. Broadhurst is more of a personal opinion. He has great hockey IQ, willing to go to the dirty areas despite his size. Look at Broadhurst and the playoff he had for London. Good hand eye and responsible defensively. Not to mention, we've seen Chicago put 19 year olds in the AHL (Morin, Pirri) let alone 20 year olds.

Just because I say Domi has a better chance of sticking with Phoenix than Horvat does with Vancouver doesn't mean I think he'll make it. It's not even that big of a stretch for Domi to make it. We've seen what Phoenix type teams have done in the past. It seems Domi is a little underrated here. Hell, he's probably already better than half of the Coyotes and already at 195 lbs.

Old
07-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Snippit

Harrington and the OAs are the only ones that we know are gone.

Zadarov is probably safe. Sabres have a few up and coming D prospects, and they drafted Ristolainen ahead of him.

Domi isn't ready for the NHL. I'm sure he'll light it up eventually, but you need to be an elite prospect to make it at 18. He still has flaws in his game right now, that will be exposed if he's rushed IMO. I'm quite sure he'll be back, but might see a few NHL games.

There might be a chance that Horvat could crack a few of these NHL teams, but I don't think Vancouver is one of them. He'll probably get a few games, but I say he has one more year with the Knights.

Grif & Broadhurst... I just hope at least one of them comes back. Not so comfortable here, though.

I believe McCarron will also come over. Memorial Cup should be the tipping point.

Should be interesting.

Old
07-05-2013, 05:05 PM
JL17

Best thing for Griffiths career is moving on. He needs a coach not a buddy. Dale is a buddy to him that doesn't hold him accountable for his on ice play. Griffith has lots to prove here in London with his defensive play and his play without the puck but he's not going to do it here.

Chicago always preferred to get there prospects in the AHL or NHL early. Broadhurst improved his position in there eyes with his season he had especially in the playoffs.

Phoenix just signed Riberio so they're not exactly looking for a playmaking center ice men anymore like Domi.

NHL ready now and in 3 months are different things. The new cap concerns will force some teams hands in keep a late top 10 or even mid first round pick this year.

Old
07-06-2013, 06:06 AM
tc 23
#GaunceForGM

vCash: 77
I don't see Horvat cracking our line up this year. After he was drafted, our Assistant GM talked about how Horvat was part of a great development program in London and how he was a future captain. possibly hinting that our management's likely sending him back (though he may get his 9 games). It's more likely than another Canuck prospect, Brendan Gaunce, slots in the 3C spot while we let Horvat dominate juniors and develop offensively.

That said, what are your guys' thoughts on Bo? A lot of people claim that his offensive potential is low but from the video I've seen, he seems to have pretty good hands, a nice shot, and high hockey IQ, leading me to believe his offensive potential is higher than others think.

Old
07-06-2013, 06:42 AM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc23 View Post
I don't see Horvat cracking our line up this year. After he was drafted, our Assistant GM talked about how Horvat was part of a great development program in London and how he was a future captain. possibly hinting that our management's likely sending him back (though he may get his 9 games). It's more likely than another Canuck prospect, Brendan Gaunce, slots in the 3C spot while we let Horvat dominate juniors and develop offensively.

That said, what are your guys' thoughts on Bo? A lot of people claim that his offensive potential is low but from the video I've seen, he seems to have pretty good hands, a nice shot, and high hockey IQ, leading me to believe his offensive potential is higher than others think.
It may sound odd but Bo can score in any situation as that video has shown. He also creates a lot of his own goals by breaking up plays and taking it to the net or he breaks up a play in this own end then starts a rush.

His offensive potential is pretty high. He'll probably put a guy that at the end of the day will put up more goals then assists.

Everybody is the prospect part knocked Bo's hands and saying they weren't good. Sadly the video showed them wrong.

Old
07-06-2013, 09:28 AM
aresknights

I think the "no hands" comment maybe made by those who looked at point totals and didnt see him much. He had some real beauty snipes.
Bo wasone of the leading scorers avail his OHL draft year before joining the Knights.
He played fourth line year one and last year, more oft than not, he'd line up against others teams top line in a shutdown role. He didnt play with our top scoring wingers.
He still came on real strong the second half and showed in the POs he can score plenty even with his role and line mates.
I doubt he projects into a league leading scorer in the show but he will be able to contribute.
As you said he's got real good hands ( face offs, active stick and feet cause lots of TOs and he can snipe ) great hockey IQ, pays the price, and will do everything a coach will ever ask.

Last edited by aresknights: 07-06-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Closed Thread