*OFFICIAL* London Knights 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Crottenham

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Simon, for some players there is no adv to playing JR A and really just dominating younger , not as skilled players.
Sure its great for the fans watching their 19 yr high 1st rounder rack up the points but do they develop in that situation? Some might, others wont. There isnt that challenge, that fear of losing PT, playing with equal or better talent ect...

Griffith is a guy ID throw out as a player that still needs to grow and develop his game, but he wont get that done in CHL. Hes topped out here. Kassian and Rhino were kids who should have been allwed to go AHL as they really couldnt play their games in the O and were physically ready to move up and the league would have liked it as well. Easier to recruit kids (US or otherwise) if the head hunting alpha males move on at 19 to play with men. But we have that "drafted from the CHL" rule that says the show or junior- not a fan of that rule either. Needs some tweaking

More to your point of taking youngins- Nash, Stamkos, Kane, Hall, Seguin would have benefitted very little from another year dominating less skilled kids. It would have been a wasted year, a year where something may happen, (injury, kids taking runs at them ect..) Its about developing your assets from An NHL GMs point of view. And as much as we may disagree with their choices, they have a job to do and thats build an NHL team. CHL is a developmental leauge first. Satisfying fans is great, and neccessary BUT the goal is to move em up and on.
Tom Wilson of Plymouth is another example it seems to me....better off playing against men in the AHL.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:12 AM
aresknights

I think McC will fit in fine. Hes got a great group of Fs to play with. He wont be relied on to be the man. He be able to adjust to the league, find his role and should be a big player for us 2nd half (hopefully hes brought along the right way to avoid that burn out some US kids get come Feb)

Tinordi was borught in to be that #1 and fans expectations for perfection were maybe what lead to the criticism by some (wrong IMO but itll always be there, some just look towward the negative)

Tinordis game benefits huge from good feet (pivot, turn) and strength, both improved while he was here and we saw his game take off from good to a true #1 shutdown guy.

McC is already strong enough to do whats needed, skating, well see. He doesnt have to have Domis burst, or AA top speed to be an effective F. With the right guys he can be late to the zone crash the net, work the boards, cycle, whatever.

I think McC will have an easier adjustment physically. Mentally, everyones different. If he has the same outlook as Tinner, hell be fine, and fine quick

Old
07-11-2013, 09:15 AM
kyle44

If there was any doubt: MONTREAL – The Montreal Canadiens announced the signing of Michael McCarron to a three-year entry-level contract on Thursday morning.

The Canadiens’ first selection at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, No.25 overall, McCarron had five goals, 10 points and a plus-1 differential in 19 games with the United States National Team Development Program in 2012-13. In each of his two seasons with the USNTDP, the 6-foot-5, 228-pound winger has led his team in penalty minutes per game.

The Macomb, MI native participated in the Canadiens’ development camp from July 3-7 and can continue his career in the Junior ranks with the OHL’s London Knights in 2013-14.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:16 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Tom Wilson of Plymouth is another example it seems to me....better off playing against men in the AHL.
Very good example. He along with others are perfect examples of guys who may or may not be NHL ready, but have outgrown the CHL. Unfortunately its their only options.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Without quoting some posts, I offer some reaction to some of them:

Nurse I feel will be gone after this year. The Oil are in desperate need of defence and top calibre at that. All this talk of guys outgrowing the ohl, Nurse will be one of those next year. With that said, the smartest thing Dubas can do is trade him for the stretch run at the deadline. Such a player would command two roster players, a prospect and maybe two to three high draft picks: DiLorenzo, Elie, somebody from this years draft and two 2nd rd picks and a 4th. (for example).

McCarron has proven since he was 13 years old that each step he takes, he meets the challenges and improves his game in each area. I expect nothing less when he comes to the O. Good thing about this year, is Hunter will have all the time in the world to give him to transition. Shouldn't be a problem at all. Really looking forward to seeing him pummel some guys too

Question to my fellow fans: are there any potential suprises for this year? ie: Tkachuk or somebody like that, that could sign on and make the roster decisions that much more interesting? Now that this hammer has fallen (McCarron), where does the attention turn to now? (other than the 'nhl/ahl watch' re: Horvat/Domi/Griffith/Broadhurst).

Old
07-11-2013, 09:42 AM
poisonivy
05, 12, 13 Champs

Good signing for the Knights. They lacked that forward who could bury goals in and around the paint last year. Someone with a lot of sauce on their shot. It was really magnified against Barrie when Camara and Scheifele could snipe at will and London had to rely on lots of passing.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:44 AM
aresknights

Werenski and TKachuk top my list but I think the border is closed to Mark until next year

I have heard talk that there was a McRae/ Mark sighting at an airport on more than 1 occassion.

Theyve kicked some tires for sure, south of the border

Anyone know a Knights owner who may be friendly with an ex-NHL dad of a currently Knights drafted prospect

Old
07-11-2013, 09:45 AM
aresknights

Welcome MacAttack!

Old
07-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Mark Hunter pretty much drooling:

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/07/11/mi...chigan-broncos

Quote:
“He’s a piece of the puzzle,” said Knights’ general manage Mark Hunter. “He’s only going to get better. It’s exciting to think what he’ll be like next year when we’ve had him here for a year.”

Hunter obtained McCarron’s rights in a trade with the Bulls in 2012. He said missing not being able to get him in the draft bothered him.

“I really wanted to get him but I couldn’t,” Hunter said. “I watched the kid for three years before the draft. Where are you going to get a kid that big that can skate and handle the puck?”
Any idea why he didn't pick him in round 5 if he wanted him so much?

Old
07-11-2013, 12:02 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Mark Hunter pretty much drooling:

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/07/11/mi...chigan-broncos

Any idea why he didn't pick him in round 5 if he wanted him so much?
My guess is two possible reasons: 1) there were better players at the time that he had to have (ie Horvat, Jenkins, Platzer) 2) he had committed to certain players that if they were still available at a certain pick, he would take them.
Add in that spending a top pick on a guy that may not committ isn't always the best move...

Here are the results to refresh the memory from that year

Round #1-Bo Horvat Elgin Middlesex Chiefs LC 5.09 170 68 47 71 118 20
Round #2-Ian Jenkins Detroit Belle Tire G 5.10 155 17 838 45 2.91 1
Round #2-Jacob Jammes Ottawa Jr 67's LC 5.10 160 61 59 36 95 46
Round #3-Miles Liberati Pittsburgh Viper Stars LD 5.11 170 79 18 46 64 102
Round #4-Kyle Platzer Waterloo Wolves RC 5.09 155 50 25 34 59 28
Round #4-Corey Pawley Lambton Jr Sting LC 5.07 145 38 27 37 64 38
Round #5-Marselis Subban Cambridge Hawks RD 5.10 190 57 9 35 44 30
Round #5-Remi Elie Eastern Ontario Wild LW 5.11 175 29 15 24 39 43
Round #6-Aidan Wallace Don Mills Flyers LW 5.09 155 31 14 12 26 22
Round #6-Tait Seguin Notre Dame Argos LW 5.10 165 36 7 19 26 112

Hindsight is 20/20 in that I would not want Jammes, Pawley, Subban.
Wallace and Seguin are still question marks.
The 5th round pick of Elie looks like a beauty and I am content with the picks for Liberati, Platzer and Horvat.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:09 PM
aresknights

You Know Mark really liked him to give up as much as he did to get him here. It took an extra year, but the original price was 3 cond 2nds and a 5th. If he came last year the price would have been higher than the price for Domi

Id have to go back thru his draft year when Belleville took him. My guess is Mark was picking guys he needed or maybe thought would be picked by others and he thought McC would still be around a bit later.

The "flyer" picks must always be tough ones. How early do you take a chance on a kid that may not show? But would really help the team if he does. Happens every year.

Belleville really did well with that pick- flip that pick for 2nds and a 5th.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:15 PM
hockeylegend11

Always nice to see a team beat out the NCAA for a player ,even if its London lol
Montreal by signing him as I suggested in an earlier made his decision moot,thanks to the NCAA"s backward policies
Solid pickup for the Knights,the fact he might play 100 games this year approx should do wonders for his dev in my view,compared to 1/2 that at the college level,like 2 years in 1
I am sure he will be tested by some the league heavies,nothing wrong with that

Old
07-11-2013, 12:41 PM
gammaraej

so what is the final price for McCarron? 2 seconds and a 5th? What years are those picks coming from?

Old
07-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:

Id have to go back thru his draft year when Belleville took him. My guess is Mark was picking guys he needed or maybe thought would be picked by others and he thought McC would still be around a bit later.
If you look at my post 7 minutes before yours, it will help you through it and some of your questions may be answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaraej View Post
so what is the final price for McCarron? 2 seconds and a 5th? What years are those picks coming from?
The 5th round pick (guaranteed)was their own from 2015.
The conditional picks are:
Miss's 2nd Rnd '15 (cond.) - 2nd Rnd '17 (cond.) - 2nd Rnd '18 (cond.)

I'd assume that we keep Mississauga's 2nd rd 2015 as he didn't report the 1st year.

Final cost is 5th '15, 2, '17 and 2nd '18

Old
07-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Always nice to see a team beat out the NCAA for a player ,even if its London lol
Montreal by signing him as I suggested in an earlier made his decision moot,thanks to the NCAA"s backward policies
Solid pickup for the Knights,the fact he might play 100 games this year approx should do wonders for his dev in my view,compared to 1/2 that at the college level,like 2 years in 1
I am sure he will be tested by some the league heavies,nothing wrong with that
If playing more games is the key to development, why not extend the regualr season to 90 or 100 games? Good for McCarron, hopefully he made the right call but development is individual based, there is no one solution for every player....

Old
07-11-2013, 01:13 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
If playing more games is the key to development, why not extend the regualr season to 90 or 100 games? Good for McCarron, hopefully he made the right call but development is individual based, there is no one solution for every player....
Agrees on no one solution for every player,though in his case,being allowed to play more
his game ie hitting,physical presence ,fighting gets him ready quicker
If he were a 6 ft guy and a buck one seventy five i say go to college
I just think in this case,the perfect storm Knights play alot of games this coming year,and Montreal must have thought so to by signing him,fastrack him rather then wait
for college to dev him
I think a smart decision by all parties involved and the Knights are the beneficiaries
and dont have to worry about an edc pkg should he flame out to boot

Old
07-11-2013, 03:33 PM
SimonKnightsman

There just seems no room for Jacob Jammes on this team by many fans. I wouldn't be so quick to pull the chute on this kid just yet who has been messed up with injury bug. I recall many similar comments about AA who like Jammes developed late.

Be patient cus the Hunters are....they see what I see also....mad skill when he develops.

There is a reason the scouts in minor midget loved his game.....but injuries....man that kid had been snake bit.

I almost vomited watching AA this past spring......yup, seen that coming.

Old
07-11-2013, 03:40 PM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
Extend season, who NCAA ?

If that is who your referring to it can't happen. The Mother Ship makes schedules in NCAA and that is the association and US TV. 35 games is maxed out.....besides hockey is just a speed bump in the way of the big money sports they worry about....

NCAA football, Basketball...........hockey is way down.

And in all honesty ESPN secretly runs the real show along with the big wigs in South Bend and Ann Arbour.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKnightsman View Post
Extend season, who NCAA ?

If that is who your referring to it can't happen. The Mother Ship makes schedules in NCAA and that is the association and US TV. 35 games is maxed out.....besides hockey is just a speed bump in the way of the big money sports they worry about....

NCAA football, Basketball...........hockey is way down.

And in all honesty ESPN secretly runs the real show along with the big wigs in South Bend and Ann Arbour.
I meant extending games in the OHL season. Hockeylegend11 suggested that McCarron would benefit from a 100 game season in terms of development.....my reply is that if a longer season is the key to development, we would see longer and longer seasons.

Fact is there are numerous things, both seen and unseen that contribute to development from coaching staff, level of competition, work ethic of player, comfort of player in environment, ability to make mistakes, etc., etc., etc.

There is not any one set formula that guarrantees development for a player. That is why there are always both positive and negative surprises.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:43 PM
JL17

Quote:
Simon, for some players there is no adv to playing JR A and really just dominating younger , not as skilled players.
Sure its great for the fans watching their 19 yr high 1st rounder rack up the points but do they develop in that situation? Some might, others wont. There isnt that challenge, that fear of losing PT, playing with equal or better talent ect...

Griffith is a guy ID throw out as a player that still needs to grow and develop his game, but he wont get that done in CHL. Hes topped out here. Kassian and Rhino were kids who should have been allwed to go AHL as they really couldnt play their games in the O and were physically ready to move up and the league would have liked it as well. Easier to recruit kids (US or otherwise) if the head hunting alpha males move on at 19 to play with men. But we have that "drafted from the CHL" rule that says the show or junior- not a fan of that rule either. Needs some tweaking

More to your point of taking youngins- Nash, Stamkos, Kane, Hall, Seguin would have benefitted very little from another year dominating less skilled kids. It would have been a wasted year, a year where something may happen, (injury, kids taking runs at them ect..) Its about developing your assets from An NHL GMs point of view. And as much as we may disagree with their choices, they have a job to do and thats build an NHL team. CHL is a developmental leauge first. Satisfying fans is great, and neccessary BUT the goal is to move em up and on.
Very well said

Old
07-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Knighthammer

Quote:

To be fair, AA did deflect the puck that caused Horvat's 0.1 goal in Game 7

Old
07-11-2013, 05:14 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
There just seems no room for Jacob Jammes on this team by many fans. I wouldn't be so quick to pull the chute on this kid just yet who has been messed up with injury bug. I recall many similar comments about AA who like Jammes developed late.

Be patient cus the Hunters are....they see what I see also....mad skill when he develops.

There is a reason the scouts in minor midget loved his game.....but injuries....man that kid had been snake bit.

I have a feeling Jammes will eventually be dealt in order to help solidify the Knights defense corps,he is not part of their core group,dont think he is thought as one by the mge group
He could be part of a package to bring in such players as Alex Basso,Frankie Palazeese,Brendan Gaunce,Sean Monahan, or any D-guys u can think of
Too many forwards for the Knights currently,makes guys like him and Pawley prime trade bait,Platzer maybe as well,along with youngsters such as Centorame and DeLorenzo

Old
07-11-2013, 05:40 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:

Jammes cannot develop with literally no ice time. Especially in a Mem Cup year, if he stays with London he will get next to nothing. He should be dealt. The Hunters will make room for Marner in the bottom 6.

Old
07-12-2013, 05:27 AM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
Very well said
You guys are missing my point. I don't know how close some are paying attention behind the scenes but there are Powers out there who want absolute control of their kid once drafted......18 and CHL teams no longer have control.....meaning Horvat, Domi, Niki are all in AHL this year.....once they get their way.

And trust me when I say this.....if the Yzerman's of the world get their way CHL hockey begins the slow death. Cuz frankly I have little interest in moving to a 14 to 18 yr old player range and even earlier drafts.

My point was the dudes and media who wanna see kids with their pro teams full time at 18....NHL or AHL or ECHL

I know there are guys who need to go up at 18 but its so few it hardly registers.....just cuz the guys on That's Hockey think he is good enough it still doesn't mean they are ready.

Seguin was bad example......another one who went too early and lost the guidance he was getting in junior. Now a top pick is traded just to get him outta dodge since Boston seen enough of his immature butt. Pat Kane at 18 was doing same crap.....just cuz they can skate and snipe doesn't mean they are ready to me......many are still not ready and very awkward. But GM's looking to save their jobs bring them up early ( Charillli in Boston ) and now must trade his prized player from his Leaf Rip off away for a lesser player and pic.

Old
07-12-2013, 06:10 AM
nelli27
Danny Gallivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I have a feeling Jammes will eventually be dealt in order to help solidify the Knights defense corps,he is not part of their core group,dont think he is thought as one by the mge group
He could be part of a package to bring in such players as Alex Basso,Frankie Palazeese,Brendan Gaunce,Sean Monahan, or any D-guys u can think of
Too many forwards for the Knights currently,makes guys like him and Pawley prime trade bait,Platzer maybe as well,along with youngsters such as Centorame and DeLorenzo
I think you're right that Jammes will be moved. He will have to be part of a package as you say because we'd getting very little for him alone in return.
Who are the expendables? Who are the players that other teams might covet and the Knights would move?
Owen MacDonald, perhaps Marner (at the deadline), and a d-man (one of Centorame and DiLorenzo).
I also think Sefton will be traded, possibly packaged.

Closed Thread