Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* London Knights 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2013, 08:57 AM
aresknights

vCash: 500
Simon, following ur logic GMs are brining up kids to early, who are awkward, not ready, too immature, to try save their jobs? That logic seems odd. Maybe, just maybe they think they'll develop better or help the pro organization in some way. Ya that organization that will invest hundreds of thousands and into the millions for these guys? Ya I'm sure their plan is to set them up to fail, c'mon. At the end of the day the pros should be guiding the apprenticeship of their very expensive assets not the junior teams payin em 60 bucks a week, providing room n board, access to physio et al.
Like I said before, We know they make mistakes, we don't always agree but at some point in some they feel its the right thing.

You speak of guidance Seguin was getting. You don't think a pro team has the ability to guide?
How many CHL franchises are a continous, annual joke? not everywhere is a Kitchener or London.
More cash avail, better access to resources, nhlpa guidance, not too mention at some point it's on the player to want it, buy in and do the right thing. They also are moving him for financial reasons and not just immature behaviour. If it was behaviour based 3/4 of the under 23 group would be moved, the list of partying, womanizing, being a young 20 with cash and access things are going to happen. I know it would to me haha.

I don't listen to the media types you talk about. They're around to raise interest.

I wouldn't want a 14-18 ur old league either. The kids would get killed. It's bad enough with 16-20.

I think a better solution than making all kids stay at 18 or make the show is raise the NHL draft age up one. But that had flaws as well.

I think the coaching, and development of players can happen at 18, outside the O, forSOME players. Better n more coaching, more resources, better players ect....

Last edited by aresknights: 07-12-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old
07-12-2013, 09:00 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Jammes cannot develop with literally no ice time. Especially in a Mem Cup year, if he stays with London he will get next to nothing. He should be dealt. The Hunters will make room for Marner in the bottom 6.
Mark has been good in the past, finding a spot for kids who aren't in the plans.
He needs to go somewhere he can develop his game, not play 4th at best here.

Old
07-12-2013, 10:02 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Mark has been good in the past, finding a spot for kids who aren't in the plans.
He needs to go somewhere he can develop his game, not play 4th at best here.
Would something based around Brady Austin for Platzer or Jammes make sense for you guys ( depending on how your OA situation plays out of course) ?

Old
07-12-2013, 10:06 AM
aresknights

Mccarron tweet --

Off to London for a press conference with the @GoLondonKnights

He looks good in a Habs uni, will we have one big enough Knights one for him?

Maybe that was the delay? Special ordering a uni for presser?

Old
07-12-2013, 10:11 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
Would something based around Brady Austin for Platzer or Jammes make sense for you guys ( depending on how your OA situation plays out of course) ?
I'm not familiar with the east, so I'm not sure.

Good size, seems to play a clean type game based on Pims.

Is he a shut down type capable of 1st unit minutes and that role?

I gotta think Mark wants one top end D for a top 3 role and 1 D for bottom 3.
I'd wait on the depth D myself and give our 3 kids a chance to play a bit before deadline.
Id grab the top end whenever avail

Old
07-12-2013, 05:23 PM
JL17

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the east, so I'm not sure.

Good size, seems to play a clean type game based on Pims.

Is he a shut down type capable of 1st unit minutes and that role?

I gotta think Mark wants one top end D for a top 3 role and 1 D for bottom 3.
I'd wait on the depth D myself and give our 3 kids a chance to play a bit before deadline.
Id grab the top end whenever avail

I wanted Austin last season... but Belleville was a contender so that wasn't going to happen. He's a great OA fill as well. Big mobile shutdown guy. Similar to Hughes.

Old
07-12-2013, 05:33 PM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKnightsman View Post
Seguin was bad example......another one who went too early and lost the guidance he was getting in junior. Now a top pick is traded just to get him outta dodge since Boston seen enough of his immature butt. Pat Kane at 18 was doing same crap.....just cuz they can skate and snipe doesn't mean they are ready to me......many are still not ready and very awkward. But GM's looking to save their jobs bring them up early ( Charillli in Boston ) and now must trade his prized player from his Leaf Rip off away for a lesser player and pic.
There are also players in the league that are 30 and played 4 years in junior plus AHL seasons that are just as immature as Seguin.... insert Brad Marchand(not 30 but)and a couple other hundred or so players. Carter, Richards half of the Philly team from 3 years ago...

Kane was a wreck when he got here and it continued until his drunken escapades last summer (I think) went public and his boss told him to straighten up or ship out.

I've got stories from players here in London that I won't tell on here but being here and in the NHL was no different....

Guidance in junior means nothing when your let loose with guys at the pro ranks that are 25+ years old and love to party... women, booze and bars.... guidance.... tossed out the window.

Old
07-12-2013, 07:21 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
will we have a big enough Knights one for him?
Nope...did you see the news tonight? Looked like he was wearing Pawley's jersey with #24 on the back

Old
07-12-2013, 07:37 PM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Nope...did you see the news tonight? Looked like he was wearing Pawley's jersey with #24 on the back
I'd like him in Pawley's jersey

Old
07-13-2013, 05:01 AM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
There are also players in the league that are 30 and played 4 years in junior plus AHL seasons that are just as immature as Seguin.... insert Brad Marchand(not 30 but)and a couple other hundred or so players. Carter, Richards half of the Philly team from 3 years ago...

Kane was a wreck when he got here and it continued until his drunken escapades last summer (I think) went public and his boss told him to straighten up or ship out.

I've got stories from players here in London that I won't tell on here but being here and in the NHL was no different....

Guidance in junior means nothing when your let loose with guys at the pro ranks that are 25+ years old and love to party... women, booze and bars.... guidance.... tossed out the window.
So all you guys fine if NHLPA, NHL adopt rules allowing and 1 or 2nd rnd player to play CHL or his draft team can drop him in AHL....cuz they are trying to get it.

Email Yzerman's and ask him his thoughts on this topic......

Old
07-13-2013, 05:47 AM
aresknights

Maybe Yzerman has the right idea, with a bit of tweaking?

The NHL clubs are the ones investing the big bucks and want a say in the apprenticeship of their assets as early as possible. I get that.

Will some make mistakes, sure, we see it in all aspects of the game. Trades, FAs, personnel hiring ect.... but I think they have the right to make those mistakes.

I honestly think yes, in some cases 1st or 2nd rounders ( and maybe others) are better off moving up and on, and sometimes that jump to the NHL is too much and staying in the CHL isnt the right spot either. (again see Kassian/ Rhino)

Im selfish as well thou Simon and do like seeing the skill kids back but that doesnt mean I always think its best for development.

We allow execptional 15 yr olds into the O (at a seemingly increasing rate) Do you think thats OK? or should they be held back form a better, older league? Or do the same arguements apply for you? (maturity, guidance ect....)

ID be ok with moving the draft up a year to 19, but thats not happening. So as long as the NHL clubs own the players rights, they should have a say (ala Yzerman) Not a complete say because of the system they are in (add NHLPA into the convo, but they should have a say)

Now NHL give me Domi and Horvat back cause they aint ready and are needed here (selfish season tic holder speaking)

Its a tough one Simon, but I think the system does need tweaking

Old
07-13-2013, 05:53 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
I wanted Austin last season... but Belleville was a contender so that wasn't going to happen. He's a great OA fill as well. Big mobile shutdown guy. Similar to Hughes.
If a mobile shut down D, similar to Hughes is what he brings, its definitely worth MArk looking into

Old
07-13-2013, 07:13 AM
JL17

I'm with Arse on some player needing to be moved on due to physical size(Rhino/Kassian) that they're not doing themselves any good running over kids and being suspended for a sixth of the season.

IMO guys like Horvat are to smart for the OHL at this point.

I think some players hinder the development by coming back to the OHL or CHL and develop bad habits. Getting a kid to a AHL has it's merits.

Old
07-13-2013, 07:56 AM
MAPLE KNIGHT 93

So the McCarron deal went through? What can we really expect from this guy?

Old
07-13-2013, 08:33 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAPLE KNIGHT 93 View Post
So the McCarron deal went through? What can we really expect from this guy?
From what I've seen of him so far he's very mobile for such a big kid and skates very well. Plays the prototypical power forward role and will drop the mitts..actually likes to do so. I think if you picture Leigh Salters with more of a finer touch for scoring... I think that would be a fair comparison going into the season. No need to overhype the kid. London fans are gonna love him..that's all I'll say.

Old
07-13-2013, 10:36 AM
aresknights

Agree totally PP

Old
07-13-2013, 12:53 PM
nelli27
Danny Gallivan

Quote:
Agree totally PP
Yes that's a good description of McCarron. Much better than my "a Daniel Zweep with talent!"

Old
07-14-2013, 10:48 AM
FOG Sports

Long time follower of HFBoards and here is my first post so...be gentle!

Given the Knights goaltending issue is anyone thinking we might see Eamon McAdam sneak into the net?
Believe he was picked in the 2010 draft right after the Ruperts and after 3 yrs in the USHL was taken in in the 3rd round of this years NHL draft by the Islanders. Don't know much about him but ..... appears NHL teams clearly like him better than Jake

Old
07-14-2013, 11:18 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG Sports View Post
Long time follower of HFBoards and here is my first post so...be gentle!

Given the Knights goaltending issue is anyone thinking we might see Eamon McAdam sneak into the net?
Believe he was picked in the 2010 draft right after the Ruperts and after 3 yrs in the USHL was taken in in the 3rd round of this years NHL draft by the Islanders. Don't know much about him but ..... appears NHL teams clearly like him better than Jake
Right now McAdam would be pegged as a long shot at best to slide London's way. Very long shot. He's NCAA committed(Penn State) and hasn't even really been hinted to shrugging that commit to come to the OHL. He's already slated as Penn State's starter as a freshman. I doubt we ever see him in the OHL.

Welcome to the board

Old
07-14-2013, 02:04 PM
poisonivy
05, 12, 13 Champs

Domi signed with the Coyotes

Old
07-16-2013, 02:19 AM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
From what I've seen of him so far he's very mobile for such a big kid and skates very well. Plays the prototypical power forward role and will drop the mitts..actually likes to do so. I think if you picture Leigh Salters with more of a finer touch for scoring... I think that would be a fair comparison going into the season. No need to overhype the kid. London fans are gonna love him..that's all I'll say.
His skating had begun to improve in USHL with NTDP and late tourney in Sochi he started to assert that Power Forward style absolutely running guy through boards and getting nailed by efs...a lot. His foot speed right now is almost same as that awkward Tinner that fans also didn't like at first....my point is give him til November to adjust and keep his nose clean......he will make a hell of a PF with big Anderson, Teirney.
I wanna see a full ti,e go around with both Rupes healthy in such a monumental season coming up since we all still talk about Shawinigan, Sask City now London to the site of the (IMHO)best over PO and Mem Cup team.

Gonna be a long year with trades but remember Mark often does a tweak right before season then Oct or early Nov.

Keep a close eye those US picks......just a hunch .

Old
07-16-2013, 02:55 AM
12Gage09

Really looking forward to the 2013-14 season. i do think the Hunters could have made some better moves to solidify a Memorial Cup but then they might have the assests to make the moves this year as hosts(although they could never have known they would win the Memorial Cup bid) i expect so big moves this year to really stack the team. guys i could see getting traded: Jammes, Pawley, Welychka and even Tierney and Anderson. Looking for a 3peat as OHL Champs. 4th Memorial Cup Appearance In 9 Years(3rd In A Row), 2nd Memorial Cup Championship in 9 Years

Old
07-16-2013, 07:55 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Gage09 View Post
Really looking forward to the 2013-14 season. i do think the Hunters could have made some better moves to solidify a Memorial Cup but then they might have the assests to make the moves this year as hosts(although they could never have known they would win the Memorial Cup bid) i expect so big moves this year to really stack the team. guys i could see getting traded: Jammes, Pawley, Welychka and even Tierney and Anderson. Looking for a 3peat as OHL Champs. 4th Memorial Cup Appearance In 9 Years(3rd In A Row), 2nd Memorial Cup Championship in 9 Years
Might have assests? Hunters have a ton of assets because they sat on their hands last year and kept them all. If this upcoming year was a poker game, the Hunters will have all their chips in the middle plus a wallett, car keys and the chair they are sitting on. All in baby!
I don't see Anderson getting traded. He is by far the most valuable player you mentioned and unless we are getting a Monahan back, it wouldn't be worth it. Anderson can put up 20-25 goals from the 2nd and 3rd line. He fights and is darn good at it. He is so strong on the puck and really is a complete player. Why would we move him? Again if it was a part of a big deal and what we were getting back was just 'too worth it' then ok, but I don't see him as somebody you shop. I would have agreed that you trade Tierney too, but he has worked hard to become a very valuable piece as well. We have enough young kids (you mentioned some) and a bunch of picks that should be able to get the deals done that we need.

Old
07-16-2013, 08:00 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Our goaltending situation this year will be interesting. Let me first say that I am a fan of Stolarz and I think he is quite capable. It was his first year in the league and he wasn't used to playing that many games either. (remember, us goalies are nuts and our brains don't operate on the same level as you player folk).
This year he should be the guy that takes us all the way.
With that said, Patterson is not the guy....and if Stolarz falters (aka Hunter has the hook out in games too many times) you are going to see a repeat of 04/05 where around xmas time we will end up with a new heavily padded player in the form of Palazezze or someone like him. The reason I suggest him is that I for one disagree with all those thinking Sudbury will be good this year. So why not make a big move for assets. Secondly, the Hunters are well aware of Franky's abilities as he stoned us many times while wearing a Rags jersey. The kid is solid and in my opinion the best tender in the league (feel free to insert your Subban argument here). Subban already has the moniker of not being able to win the big games. No thank you. Besides, he might not be back in the league...?
Looking forward to how this plays out.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:39 AM
poisonivy
05, 12, 13 Champs

No, Subban's a 93 and will be in Boston's farm system.

People, Anderson and Tierney aren't going anywhere. Both of them have two seasons at the most left in the OHL including an OA year. Depending on how their seasons go, I can definitely see this being Tierney's last year. Anderson too if he can consistently score. Re-building teams don't want those guys. Even Welyhcka, unless he's a part to a bigger package, he's not much use to a re-building team.

Even 95s. Elie might only have 2 years left being a 2nd round pick with his tools. Teams are going to want younger players or players they feel can play well for them and be overagers down the road. Probably Platzer and Marner are the most valuable pieces. Then the young 96 defencemen and draft picks.

As long as London only loses Broadhurst and Griffith up front, they're fine in that area. With Phoenix being Phoneix, and already signing Domi, he's not a lock to come back either. I know I was laughed at when I said he has a better chance of sticking than Horvat, due to how those respective teams develop their prospects, but we've seen this time and time again.

Closed Thread