Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2013, 07:59 PM
dino200022

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Nope, but Well get a look tomorrow.
Hoping to get down to the Bud for both sessions.
I hope you do as well for my sake haha!

Old
08-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Wow havent been on for a while, didnt really miss much. Like the Pawley trade, move Jammes too please. Too many forwards and almost all are higher on the depth chart than Jammes. Patience? Nope, not in an 'all or nothing year'. I could see Wely moving, tough one but we need D and he could fetch a good one.
Colts had their chance last year, blew it. Enjoy your rebuild.
C'mon Friday!

Old
08-28-2013, 04:10 PM
nelli27

I attended all four games today, and here are my comments/thoughts, etc...
This year I didn't pay much attention to the score, but rather, focussed on the players....you know, the same thing that Sportsnet does when it covers a CHL game!

Let's start with the new faces:

McCarron looked very good. He's quite skilled for a big player.

Of the young players, I was particularly impressed with Josh Defarias (d-man). Solid defensively, and can rush the puck. Scored too! If anyone has a scouting report on this kid, feel free to elaborate...

Dvorak also stood out; good hands and vision. I think he cracks the lineup and will contribute immediately.

Marner: lots of skill, deceptive speed, excellent vision, can snipe. He's grown and put on some pounds since the draft. I believe he is now 5'10" and 164 pounds.

Only one fight, uneventful: Jonathan Kreis vs. ????? See, I forgot already!

Cooper Rush is a name to watch. He's a 6'6", 220 lbs. d-man, an O.A. free agent
('93) from Chilliwack of the BCHL. He looked fine out there, and could challenge for an OA spot. His presence sure lit a fire under Sefton (also a '93). Sefton had a hattrick today! Yup! I kid you not.

Aiden Jamieson was a pleasant surprise for a 10th round pick. Good, pucking moving d-man.

Kevin Charyszyn, free agent from the Philadelphia Flyer Jrs., did not score but the puck followed him everywhere. Smart player; his passes were right on; good positionally. He will probably end up playing U.S. college hockey.

Many in attendance were surprised to see HERBST play! Quel surpris! He played 1/2 of the first scrimmage, and I believe surrendered only one goal (slapshot from McCarron). That's a good sign!
Jackson McIntosh (G) from the Waterloo Wolves also was sharp between the pipes.

That just about covers the new faces that impressed.

Goal of the day: Kyle Platzer (stickhandled through the D, and deked out the goalie).
Hits of the day: R. Rupert (on Hofford) and Leroux (on ???).

Disappointment of the day: MAX DOMI--he showed up sporting his new Coyotes gloves and thought that he should put on a stickhandling clinic for the entire crowd. In other words, every time he was on the ice, he only considered passing after trying to stickhandle around 3 or 4 players first. On one occasion, Dvorak gave Domi a cross-ice pass--he had the open cage, and didn't shoot! Instead, he held onto the puck as he stared down an empty net and skated around the goal. He was there to show off and do nothing else....Wait! That's not quite accurate. You know how the day's final game came to an end? With one minute left on the clock, Domi checked a young player, Ty Jackson, into the boards. Clean hit. Jackson took exception and slashed Domi on the back of the leg. Domi skated right up to him and cross-checked him in the face. The kid went down, and the scrimmage was called. A disappointing end to a great day of hockey.

Finally, who wasn't playing today? Good question.
Zadorov (visa issues); Broadhurst; Maatta; Horvat.

If you're wondering about the other regulars and how they played. Fine, as expected. In particular, I was impressed with the compete level of Anderson, Tierney, Welychka, Platzer, Elie, the Rupes, etc...
Jammes, on the other hand, looked rather disinterested. I found this surprising given that he should be fighting for a roster spot. He coasts without the puck, and only skates hard with it. He does have some offensive flare, but he is soft. I expected a higher compete level from him.

That's all I got folks after day one. I'll return tomorrow...it's nice being on holidays!

Old
08-28-2013, 04:33 PM
chewerjones

Thanks for the detailed summary.

Old
08-28-2013, 04:56 PM
PP31
PhlyerPhanatic31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelli27 View Post
Jammes, on the other hand, looked rather disinterested. I found this surprising given that he should be fighting for a roster spot. He coasts without the puck, and only skates hard with it. He does have some offensive flare, but he is soft. I expected a higher compete level from him.
That's all I've ever seen from Jammes...not ragging the kid..but I just don't see the awe value he gives some people. Nice to see he's taking this seriously...he's being passed by kids 2 years younger.

I really think he needs a change of scenery. He's not cracking this roster in the top 9 or 10 heck maybe not even the top 12 in my opinion and I think he's starting to realize it.

Buck up

Old
08-28-2013, 05:32 PM
poisonivy
05, 12, 13 Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelli27 View Post
I attended all four games today, and here are my comments/thoughts, etc...
This year I didn't pay much attention to the score, but rather, focussed on the players....you know, the same thing that Sportsnet does when it covers a CHL game!

Let's start with the new faces:

McCarron looked very good. He's quite skilled for a big player.

Of the young players, I was particularly impressed with Josh Defarias (d-man). Solid defensively, and can rush the puck. Scored too! If anyone has a scouting report on this kid, feel free to elaborate...

Dvorak also stood out; good hands and vision. I think he cracks the lineup and will contribute immediately.

Marner: lots of skill, deceptive speed, excellent vision, can snipe. He's grown and put on some pounds since the draft. I believe he is now 5'10" and 164 pounds.

Only one fight, uneventful: Jonathan Kreis vs. ????? See, I forgot already!

Cooper Rush is a name to watch. He's a 6'6", 220 lbs. d-man, an O.A. free agent
('93) from Chilliwack of the BCHL. He looked fine out there, and could challenge for an OA spot. His presence sure lit a fire under Sefton (also a '93). Sefton had a hattrick today! Yup! I kid you not.

Aiden Jamieson was a pleasant surprise for a 10th round pick. Good, pucking moving d-man.

Kevin Charyszyn, free agent from the Philadelphia Flyer Jrs., did not score but the puck followed him everywhere. Smart player; his passes were right on; good positionally. He will probably end up playing U.S. college hockey.

Many in attendance were surprised to see HERBST play! Quel surpris! He played 1/2 of the first scrimmage, and I believe surrendered only one goal (slapshot from McCarron). That's a good sign!
Jackson McIntosh (G) from the Waterloo Wolves also was sharp between the pipes.

That just about covers the new faces that impressed.

Goal of the day: Kyle Platzer (stickhandled through the D, and deked out the goalie).
Hits of the day: R. Rupert (on Hofford) and Leroux (on ???).

Disappointment of the day: MAX DOMI--he showed up sporting his new Coyotes gloves and thought that he should put on a stickhandling clinic for the entire crowd. In other words, every time he was on the ice, he only considered passing after trying to stickhandle around 3 or 4 players first. On one occasion, Dvorak gave Domi a cross-ice pass--he had the open cage, and didn't shoot! Instead, he held onto the puck as he stared down an empty net and skated around the goal. He was there to show off and do nothing else....Wait! That's not quite accurate. You know how the day's final game came to an end? With one minute left on the clock, Domi checked a young player, Ty Jackson, into the boards. Clean hit. Jackson took exception and slashed Domi on the back of the leg. Domi skated right up to him and cross-checked him in the face. The kid went down, and the scrimmage was called. A disappointing end to a great day of hockey.

Finally, who wasn't playing today? Good question.
Zadorov (visa issues); Broadhurst; Maatta; Horvat.

If you're wondering about the other regulars and how they played. Fine, as expected. In particular, I was impressed with the compete level of Anderson, Tierney, Welychka, Platzer, Elie, the Rupes, etc...

That's all I got folks after day one. I'll return tomorrow...it's nice being on holidays!
McCarron has good hands for a big guy. You can tell he'll be tough to handle on the boards and down low which London needs the most.

Dvorak certainly has a spot on the team regardless of how he plays (and he played well). You don't give up a hockey scholarship at a D1 school like Wisconsin in your draft year to not play.

Defarias and Jamieson were excellent. Jamieson is a left hand shot unlike what the OHL website says.

Josh Anderson's brother Jordan was there and looks and plays a lot like Josh. Isn't as big as Josh but I could see him as a call-up if needed in the future.

Speaking of Josh, wow he is going to be tough on the opposition. You can tell he is a completely different man from a few months ago. He's obviously healthy and I lost count of how many times he overpowered the d-man and barged to the goal with ease. I know some of these kids don't belong here but it was refreshing. I won't be a very happy fan if he's traded. Anderson and McCarron occupying the top 2 RW spots? For sure!

Jammes: well I don't disagree with what's written here. He looks the same every year. Good speed for an awkward stance, good vision, good hands, but...always leaves you wanting a lot more. He's not going to even be on the first 4 lines. It would be in everyone's best interest to trade him for a draft pick. Send him back home to Ottawa where he'll get ice time in the role that's suited for him.

Marner's height might be exaggerated a bit but he isn't Daniel Erlich size. I was expecting that type of body build but he isn't that tiny and he's only 16. He has great instincts with the puck and where to be without the puck offensively. Looked ok defensively, but a lot of things today looked like they lacked desire from several players.

I only saw 2 full games so I didn't see Herbst play or Domi's egotistical ways but it is a pleasant surprise to hear that Herbst took part in on ice training camp.

Zadorov's Canadian Visa issue is done and he should be in London very soon.

Old
08-28-2013, 05:45 PM
Eamon55

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
That's all I've ever seen from Jammes...not ragging the kid..but I just don't see the awe value he gives some people. Nice to see he's taking this seriously...he's being passed by kids 2 years younger.

I really think he needs a change of scenery. He's not cracking this roster in the top 9 or 10 heck maybe not even the top 12 in my opinion and I think he's starting to realize it.

Buck up
Funny-I was at the scrimmages-just the morning ones and that wasn't my take on him. He has a different skating style and he holds his stick differently when he skates-maybe he just gives the impression of disinterest. I watched him closely because of the debate we've had lately and I admit he could have done more but I really don't get the criticism he comes under. To me he seemed as interested as all-except Domi (I thought Domi played lazy).

I sat behind his dad for a bit and overheard him saying to another that Jacob was finally healthy.

I thought Welychka and Tierney looked really good. Domi's sticks to the face if you hit him at all are tiresome.

Unlike Nelli I wasn't impressed with McCarron-he's big but Anderson looks as big and had twice the energy and moves-at least this morning. MacDonald was flying, I liked Marner-Dvorak was ok-nice passer and he looks much bigger than last year but I expected more.

None of our rookie D looked as good as Cooper Rush-at least to me. I thought Mermis played well.

Of the invites, Hutchison and Siddell caught my eye several times.

Nelli-are you sure Herbst was there? The roster had 3 goalies on team Perry but only 2 were there. 1 was Patterson-the other was either Tugwell or Herbst but because of his history I assumed it was Herbst missing. But I'm pretty sure the goalie for the first half in the morning was Patterson. (I hate that they don't number the goalies.)

Old
08-28-2013, 05:50 PM
PP31
PhlyerPhanatic31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamon55 View Post
Funny-I was at the scrimmages-just the morning ones and that wasn't my take on him. He has a different skating style and he holds his stick differently when he skates-maybe he just gives the impression of disinterest. I watched him closely because of the debate we've had lately and I admit he could have done more but I really don't get the criticism he comes under. To me he seemed as interested as all-except Domi (I thought Domi played lazy).

I sat behind his dad for a bit and overheard him saying to another that Jacob was finally healthy.
for the record I wasn't at the scrimmages..I was just commenting on past viewings and the comments given.

Quote:
Nelli-are you sure Herbst was there? The roster had 3 goalies on team Perry but only 2 were there. 1 was Patterson-the other was either Tugwell or Herbst but because of his history I assumed it was Herbst missing. But I'm pretty sure the goalie for the first half in the morning was Patterson. (I hate that they don't number the goalies.)
It would be pretty easy to tell if it was Herbst or not..considering Tugwell isn't a lefty and isn't 6'5"

Old
08-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Eamon55

I don't know about left/right handed but he wasn't 6'5 (or anywhere close) so I'm going to stay with my original thought that Herbst wasn't there despite being on the roster.

Old
08-28-2013, 05:55 PM
PP31
PhlyerPhanatic31

Quote:
I don't know about left/right handed but he wasn't 6'5 (or anywhere close) so I'm going to stay with my original thought that Herbst wasn't there despite being on the roster.
Well..did the goalie you saw catch with his right hand or his left?

Old
08-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Eamon55

Quote:
Well..did the goalie you saw catch with his right hand or his left?
I don't remember

Old
08-28-2013, 05:58 PM
DrJenniferHanson
Cursed By A Gypsy

Quote:

Unlike Nelli I wasn't impressed with McCarron-he's big but Anderson looks as big and had twice the energy and moves-at least this morning. MacDonald was flying, I liked Marner-Dvorak was ok-nice passer and he looks much bigger than last year but I expected more.
Caught the morning action. Jammes was playing well, but slowed down at the end. Disagree with you regarding McCarron & Dvorak -- thought they were awesome in the morning game. Agreed re- MacDonald & Marner.

Old
08-28-2013, 05:59 PM
PP31
PhlyerPhanatic31

Quote:
I don't remember
OK

Kind of a glaring personal trait if you ask me...but OK.

Glad Marner showed well...the kid is the real deal.

Like I stated earlier re Jammes. I'd love for the kid to succeed and prove me wrong..but I just haven't seen enough from him to give me that "this kid's gonna make it" vibe. I believe a change of scenery would do him a world of good. He isn't going to be in a contributing role on this roster.

Old
08-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Eamon55

Quote:
OK

Kind of a glaring personal trait if you ask me...but OK.

I think you've said in the past you are a goalie? Guess you notice these things. Personally-I don't. I couldn't tell you which hand any of the 9 goalies I saw this morning caught with.

Old
08-28-2013, 06:05 PM
PP31
PhlyerPhanatic31

Quote:
I think you've said in the past you are a goalie? Guess you notice these things. Personally-I don't. I couldn't tell you which hand any of the 9 goalies I saw this morning caught with.
Fair enough...I pick it out immediately but maybe it's my background(was a goalie and coach..the hinges have seen better days). Lefty's stand out in a crowd..that's all I'm saying.

Old
08-28-2013, 06:05 PM
Eamon55

Quote:

And.. as another poster said-he was way bigger than I thought-he's no where near Erlich size. Still smallish but not like I feared.

Old
08-28-2013, 06:07 PM
PP31
PhlyerPhanatic31

Quote:
And.. as another poster said-he was way bigger than I thought-he's no where near Erlich size. Still smallish but not like I feared.
I've read he's bulked up...doesn't give you that frail fragile vibe Erlich did. He's a slippery lil bugger though.

Old
08-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Eamon55

Hope this doesn't happen:

http://metronews.ca/news/london/7793...f-to-nhl-camp/

Old
08-28-2013, 06:31 PM
PP31
PhlyerPhanatic31

Quote:
Part of that article is from last year...Maatta wasn't picked this year.

Old
08-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Eamon55

Quote:
Part of that article is from last year...Maatta wasn't picked this year.
Nope-Aug. 28th/13-there was no rookie tournament here last year and there was no exhibition game against Sarnia on Friday Aug 30th last year.

Old
08-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Eamon55

Quote:
Nope-Aug. 28th/13-there was no rookie tournament here last year and there was no exhibition game against Sarnia on Friday Aug 30th last year.
you edited your post too quickly-at first you said the article was from last year-Langford just posted it on twitter an hour ago

Old
08-28-2013, 06:38 PM
PP31
PhlyerPhanatic31

Quote:
you edited your post too quickly-at first you said the article was from last year-Langford just posted it on twitter an hour ago
Langford needs to brush up his info then...he said Maatta was chosen this year...and he also says Maatta is 18..wrong on both accounts. Which is why I thought it was from last year. Also this would be Maatta's 3rd season with the Knights

Old
08-28-2013, 06:41 PM
Eamon55

Quote:
Langford needs to brush up his info then...he said Maatta was chosen this year...and he also says Maatta is 18..wrong on both accounts. Which is why I thought it was from last year.
What do you want from a free newspaper? lol! I just like anyone who writes about the Knights-warts and all!

I personally think Mattaa has zero chance of sticking in Pittsburgh but what do I know?

Old
08-28-2013, 06:42 PM
PP31
PhlyerPhanatic31

Quote:

I personally think Mattaa has zero chance of sticking in Pittsburgh but what do I know?
Agree 100% he'll be back

Old
08-28-2013, 06:51 PM
Eamon55

Here's a tweet about Ryan Taylor-anybody know why he's not in camp?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>London Knights draft pick and Newcastle's own Ryan Taylor is leading the Waterloo Siskans JR B in scoring so far in pre-season</p>&mdash; Ryan Brandt (@Ryan_Brandt) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ryan_Brandt/statuses/372808809640513536">August 28, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Closed Thread