HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards

View Poll Results: Brad Richards
trade Grabovski for him 54 19.22%
only if the rangers buy him out 172 61.21%
would take him off waivers 34 12.10%
would not take him 64 22.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Bodybr3ak

vCash: 500
Bozak>Richards

No thanks jeff, the guy has hit his 30s in bad fashion.

Bodybr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
His deal with the Rangers was $60M/9 yr. Do you think the Leafs offered him $57M/6 yr.? That's $9.5M a year. I'm not sure the Leafs would've gone that high for him?
Cap circumventing contracts are really all about manipulating the cap hit total to the team to make it more favourable so a 9 year deals verses a 6 year deal for similar money reduces the cap significantly from year to year, by averaging over term.

We don't know officially what the Leafs offered but we do know Richards is being paid $57 mil in the first 6 years of this current deal = $ 9.5 mil on average.. We know the last 3 years of Richards deal are throw away years at $1 mil per.

Unless the Leafs were in that similar ball park $$ wise it was an easy decision for Richards to make.

So if Burke wanted to make a legitimate offer to Richards, with the intent of actually landing him, and still maintaining his own principles on term <= 6 years, then you would have to believe the offer was in that similar range, otherwise why bother? You can't offer a player both a shorter term and significantly less money then the best offer on the table and hope he accepts it. You can offer him similar money and shorter term and that has no financial $$ impact on the player then.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Ricky Bobby

I wouldn't trade for that contract cause of the last 3 years on the deal.

However, I'd offer Richards a 3 year deal at around 5 per if he was a free agent.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Al14

Just say NO to another AGING veteran... we already tried that a few years ago, and, it failed.

Only target players SOUTH of 30 years of age! It's also too early in our rebuild/retool to acquire a veteran as the last piece IMHO.

That's what I would do if I were in Nonis's position.

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:40 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Let's no go back to the Muskoka days, leave that alone, no more old vets.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Diatomic
Mitch Matthewlander

He's better offensively than Bozo Bozak, I'll give him that.

His glory years are behind him though.

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 01:28 PM
moonbal

If he goes Redden-Gomez route, hell yes.

moonbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 01:52 PM
noBSleafsFAN

keep him away

noBSleafsFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 01:54 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chosen_One View Post
Well said. Thankfully, Nonis said that he's not planning to acquire aging players. It's not like we're going to be winning the cup next season. Let's be reasonable and stick with what we have.

Desperate move. We let Bozak walk, and have give Spencer Abbott a chance to take Mikhail Grabovski's spot. While he may be better in the AHL for one year, he did play quite well in the playoffs this year. May as well, "play the kids" next season.
no he didn't he said he wasn't going to trade younger players for vets but he never said anything about free agency. You gotta think if Richards hit the free market Nonis would be after him

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 01:59 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Cap circumventing contracts are really all about manipulating the cap hit total to the team to make it more favourable so a 9 year deals verses a 6 year deal for similar money reduces the cap significantly from year to year, by averaging over term.

We don't know officially what the Leafs offered but we do know Richards is being paid $57 mil in the first 6 years of this current deal = $ 9.5 mil on average.. We know the last 3 years of Richards deal are throw away years at $1 mil per.

Unless the Leafs were in that similar ball park $$ wise it was an easy decision for Richards to make.

So if Burke wanted to make a legitimate offer to Richards, with the intent of actually landing him, and still maintaining his own principles on term <= 6 years, then you would have to believe the offer was in that similar range, otherwise why bother? You can't offer a player both a shorter term and significantly less money then the best offer on the table and hope he accepts it. You can offer him similar money and shorter term and that has no financial $$ impact on the player then.

I wish I could remember who reported it but we actually do know what was offered 6 years 42 million 7 million per

Old
05-24-2013, 02:03 PM
9Iron

We are trying to build a winning team why would anyone even consider taking Richards at any price? Yet another deciding line of intelligence.

9Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 02:05 PM
SarcazemKadri

Would I like Brad Richards on a bought out 3m/year deal? yes. But I would have concerns over his speed and being able to keep up with our team. Worth a shot at the right price.

SarcazemKadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 02:23 PM
darrylsittler27

Tough call.

Players 30 and older decline quickly and we have our own problems with overpaid,declining fast Grabo and having to let Bozak go as the cap drops,bringing slaries back to reality,see PK Subban. If he was bought out,I might look at 2 years if the price was right. Problem is we are a growing ,young team. I doubt Richards makes that big of an impact,he had Nash and Gaborik as wingers.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 02:24 PM
TheProspector

Replacing Bozak with Richards would be very good. Centre position becomes average instead of a deficit, and the Leafs still have high-end winger depth, good goaltending and above-average D.

TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 02:40 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Iron View Post
We are trying to build a winning team why would anyone even consider taking Richards at any price? Yet another deciding line of intelligence.
Building a winning team means having to upgrade and Bozak can't DREAM of being as good as Richards

Old
05-24-2013, 04:19 PM
LEAFSIN4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Phil Kessel would score 40+ goals and 100 points with Brad Richards as his center.

He would be a big upgrade on Bozak.
No he would not.

Richards is a shell of his old self. Slow and weak. He's at best a 2B at this point in his career.

I'd rather keep Bozak

LEAFSIN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 04:39 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
the people in support of richards are like people who pick through peoples garbage for furniture.
If management thought like this we wouldn't have Lupul. Sometimes players just need a change of scenery and a new opportunity.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 04:39 PM
FifthLine

I don't know how some people are saying straight up no to Richards. What if he signed a 2 year 3M deal? Still no? People tend to forget while he hasn't fit in NYR, he had 66 points last season, and on pace for 61 this year. That would be a top player on our team.

FifthLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 05:15 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
He is not Garbage haha, I may not part with Grabo for him after consideration but you would have to give someone up. Liles to QB the PP and maybe someone like Colborne. It's Brad Richards we are talking about here not some nobody
Trading Colborne seems ridiculous considering that we're not even that strong in the middle. Maybe give up Liles + Sam Carrick for him, but honestly, trading for him seems counterproductive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilus View Post
Yes we are.
The so-called number 1 C isn't why we lost the series. It was our limited defence that hindered us and experience as well.

The_Chosen_One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 06:11 PM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chosen_One View Post
The so-called number 1 C isn't why we lost the series. It was our limited defence that hindered us and experience as well.
I agree. Center is not nearly the problem people like to think it is. Adding a good solid defender to play with Phanuef like Brent Burns will help this team miles more than a slight (questionable) upgrade at center.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 06:41 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLeaf1331 View Post
I don't know how some people are saying straight up no to Richards. What if he signed a 2 year 3M deal? Still no? People tend to forget while he hasn't fit in NYR, he had 66 points last season, and on pace for 61 this year. That would be a top player on our team.
I know eh, I mean how could he be a healthy scratch and be so good at the same time.

Offensively, he's become a passenger. Defensively, he can't even cut it on the 4th line for a few minutes a night. He doesn't skate well and plays timid. Do you want that on your team?

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 08:32 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuGsY View Post
are you being sarcastic? Hes actually a really good player despite his recent play.
he also is being left off the lineup in an elimination game. he is being paid like a top tier player. why take on a player like that?

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 08:34 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
If management thought like this we wouldn't have Lupul. Sometimes players just need a change of scenery and a new opportunity.
terrible comparison

lupul wasn't on the downside of his career. richards likely is and he's being paid like a boss. no thanks. like I said, its picking garbage.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:27 PM
threeGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Trollmarov View Post
You have somehow managed to make no sense and contradict yourself in one sentence. Impressive
What I meant was that at the start of the series it was pretty much agreed by most people that boston would knock us out in 4 or 5 games. The fact we got to 7 games and bombed the last 10 minutes was our fault. The guy I was responding to blames Nonis for not getting a D (supposedly a "superman" D during the trade deadline) that supposedly would have helped us win the series. There was no superman D available (or even one that is affordable w/out breaking the team apart).

threeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 10:18 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

vCash: 50
No thanks. He didn't give us a second thought the first time. Return the favor and move on

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote