HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

LA wins 3-0. LA leads 3-2

Old
05-24-2013, 10:26 AM
ilikebigjoe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksAddict View Post
This series is far from over. I'm confident we'll take game 6. Anything can happen in a game 7. Game 7's so far this year have favored the road team.
Yeah, but I think everyone, including myself, as well as the team needs to worry about game 6 only. That's all that exists right now. Want to know the start time now not later tonight.

ilikebigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
26 Years of Fail

The obsession that some of you have with Brown is bordering on unhealthy. Anyway, like others I feel very confident that we can win Game 6 but not Game 7. Last change is turning out to make a HUGE difference, more so than any Sharks series I can remember. Both teams are built almost the exact same way: Great goaltending, good team defense, and relying heavily on the PP and their top 6 while getting almost nothing from their bottom 6. The difference in each game has been matchups, particularly the Richards line against Thornton/Couture and Kopitar against Boyle/Irwin. If the Sharks are going to win this series Todd has to find a way to get Jumbo out there against Richards and keep Boyle/Irwin away from Kopitar (or break them up altogether) in L.A. Easier said than done because Sutter is a crafty S.O.B.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 11:16 AM
SharksAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebigjoe View Post
Yeah, but I think everyone, including myself, as well as the team needs to worry about game 6 only. That's all that exists right now. Want to know the start time now not later tonight.
No doubt about that. I'm sure that will be TMac's focus going into this game. That said, I'm pretty sure at this nature of the playoffs the guys know that by now.

Despite some lopsided periods, it isn't like they blew the Kings out here in HP in games in 3 and 4.

SharksAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 11:26 AM
murdock1116

Galiardi - Thornton - Burns
Marleau - Couture - Gomez
Sheppard - Pavelski - Wingels
Desjardins - Kearns - Kennedy/Burish/Demers

This line up is the most balanced and gives us the best chance to establish Flow/Possession.

We need Pavelski on our bottom six because the Gomez line and the 4th line are getting eaten alive and hurting the flow for the top 6. Jumbo line usually is able to get back momentum but the team losses it once the bottom 6 is back on the ice. As others have mentioned I really think Gomez would thrive with Couture and Marleau. Him and Marleau would be great on the rush (didn't realize Gomez was as fast as he is).

Also, T-Mac needs to be more comfortable starting the 2nd Unit PP on the first shift. A lot of times we are seeing the big guns drawing the penalty and then starting the PP, this means that they are on the PP not fresh and often play sloppy. I'd be willing to bet that the PP's we've scored on were ones where the penalty was drawn by a bottom six player.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:53 PM
Led Zappa

Quote:
So the Kings have the myth of game-to-game momentum, and the Sharks have home ice. And to drag more meaningless concepts into the argument, only three times since the format change in 1987 has the home team won every game, in 1992 (Montreal over Hartford), 2002 (Toronto over the New York Islanders), and the 2003 Final (New Jersey over Anaheim).

By that logic, if the Sharks were to win Game 6 Sunday, they would be nearly home free, historically speaking. But history is taking a beating this year, starting with the Sharks’ best friend now, home cooking. The playoffs aren’t supposed to work this way, and yet they are because of one thing that is more important than all the others.

Go Sharks!!!

It's Ratto, beware

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/ray-r...-ice-dominance

If you understood everything I said, youíd be me - Miles Davis

Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:56 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Sometimes, you just have to take a step back and give credit where credit is due. This is a heavyweight fight between two teams that are so evenly-matched in every way that it is really quite incredible to watch. Two teams built the same way that play the same style. It's puck possession hockey at its finest. On one side, you have the Kings, who have been the most dominant possession team in the NHL over the last two seasons, thanks to Dean Lombardi correctly identifying that winning in the West meant going up against the four elite puck possession teams that have dominated the West since the lockout (Sharks, Red Wings, Canucks, Blackhawks). He gave up a lot for Mike Richards, but it was not difficult deal to make. Players like Richards don't come available very often. Without someone to complement Kopitar, the Kings would have had no chance in the West. As for how he managed to convince Columbus to give him Jeff Carter for Jack Johnson and a late first round pick, well, I have no idea. Pretty impressive.

The Sharks have been the most dominant possession team since the lockout, or rather, since Joe Thornton arrived. The only other teams that have consistently put up their level of possession rates for the last 5 years are Detroit and Chicago. They started tracking Fenwick data in 2007-08. Here are the FenwickClose rankings since then.

07-08: #1 Detroit, #2 San Jose
08-09 #1 Detroit, #2 San Jose, #5 Chicago
09-10: #1 Chicago, #4 Detroit, #15 San Jose. This is the surprising year. For a Sharks team that was absolutely dominant, they were not an elite possession team. Not surprisingly, they got whooped by Chicago.
10-11: #1 San Jose, #2 Chicago, #7 Detroit
11-12: #1-#7: STL, PIT, LA, DET, CHI, BOS, SJ
12-13: #1 LA, #2 Chicago, #5 Detroit, #9 San Jose. The Sharks' possession rates were right on par with LA's from the time they deal Murray/Clowe/Handzus, so that tells you a little bit of how bad those players hurt our performance.

Anyway, my point is, enjoy this series. It is as good as a matchup as you will ever find in the playoffs. I have nothing to complain about from a Sharks POV. Seriously, did you expect the Kings to play 5 bad games in a row? The Sharks dominated possession in the first four games, and even for a team as historically good in possession as they are, no one can expect to do that for an entire series against the Kings. They are the defending Cup champs, and they played a brilliant game last night. Oh well. It happens. This series is hardly close to being decided.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:58 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

Sharks played a craptastic game. They know it, we know it. The fact that they owned up to how terribly they played is good. No excuses from them. They'll be ready for game 6 and I'm confident that they'll win.

Also, this is not even close to the worst playoff game I've seen the Sharks play. I've seen some real stinkers over the past 20 years, and this doesn't come close. See game 6 WCQF in 1994, game 4 WCSF in 1994, all of the WCSF in 95, etc, etc, etc....Sharks always **** the bed at least once a series.

Old
05-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
26 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
Sometimes, you just have to take a step back and give credit where credit is due. This is a heavyweight fight between two teams that are so evenly-matched in every way that it is really quite incredible to watch. Two teams built the same way that play the same style. It's puck possession hockey at its finest. On one side, you have the Kings, who have been the most dominant possession team in the NHL over the last two seasons, thanks to Dean Lombardi correctly identifying that winning in the West meant going up against the four elite puck possession teams that have dominated the West since the lockout (Sharks, Red Wings, Canucks, Blackhawks). He gave up a lot for Mike Richards, but it was not difficult deal to make. Players like Richards don't come available very often. Without someone to complement Kopitar, the Kings would have had no chance in the West. As for how he managed to convince Columbus to give him Jeff Carter for Jack Johnson and a late first round pick, well, I have no idea. Pretty impressive.

The Sharks have been the most dominant possession team since the lockout, or rather, since Joe Thornton arrived. The only other teams that have consistently put up their level of possession rates for the last 5 years are Detroit and Chicago. They started tracking Fenwick data in 2007-08. Here are the FenwickClose rankings since then.

07-08: #1 Detroit, #2 San Jose
08-09 #1 Detroit, #2 San Jose, #5 Chicago
09-10: #1 Chicago, #4 Detroit, #15 San Jose. This is the surprising year. For a Sharks team that was absolutely dominant, they were not an elite possession team. Not surprisingly, they got whooped by Chicago.
10-11: #1 San Jose, #2 Chicago, #7 Detroit
11-12: #1-#7: STL, PIT, LA, DET, CHI, BOS, SJ
12-13: #1 LA, #2 Chicago, #5 Detroit, #9 San Jose. The Sharks' possession rates were right on par with LA's from the time they deal Murray/Clowe/Handzus, so that tells you a little bit of how bad those players hurt our performance.

Anyway, my point is, enjoy this series. It is as good as a matchup as you will ever find in the playoffs. I have nothing to complain about from a Sharks POV. Seriously, did you expect the Kings to play 5 bad games in a row? The Sharks dominated possession in the first four games, and even for a team as historically good in possession as they are, no one can expect to do that for an entire series against the Kings. They are the defending Cup champs, and they played a brilliant game last night. Oh well. It happens. This series is hardly close to being decided.

You really need to post more. I know that probably sounds funny since you already have over $18K posts, but I don't see you in GDTs too often. You're a voice of reason amidst all of the bipolarity on these boards.

Old
05-24-2013, 01:42 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
Sharks played a craptastic game. They know it, we know it. The fact that they owned up to how terribly they played is good. No excuses from them. They'll be ready for game 6 and I'm confident that they'll win.

Also, this is not even close to the worst playoff game I've seen the Sharks play. I've seen some real stinkers over the past 20 years, and this doesn't come close. See game 6 WCQF in 1994, game 4 WCSF in 1994, all of the WCSF in 95, etc, etc, etc....Sharks always **** the bed at least once a series.
I wouldn't even categorize anything that happened during the playoffs in those earlier days as a "stinker." The fact that they just were even IN the playoffs in 1994 and 1995 was a remarkable achievement. But after pulling off a completely absurd first round upset of Detroit in 1994, regardless of how close they were to beating Toronto, you can't say that they disappointed or "**** the bed". They shouldn't have beaten Detroit under any realistic circumstances. They wouldn't have if Steve Yzerman hadn't missed the first four games of the series or if the Red Wings hadn't effectively played the entire series with an empty net for them to shoot at (you remember how hilariously bad Osgood/Essensa were, I'm sure). That was a different time for this organization and the fans. You were just thrilled to be a part of it. And in 1995, they pulled off another miraculous first round victory and well, frankly, got what we all knew was coming in the next round. They didn't underperform or collapse. They got mother-****ing steamrolled by an angry juggernaut. Hell, even as a Sharks fan, I have to admit that what Sergei Fedorov and Co. did to us(I think he had 11 points in 4 games?) pretty awe-inspiring.

******** the bed has been a far more recent occurrence. The 3-0 home loss to Calgary in Game 5 of the 2004 Conference Finals (after going up there and winning 2 games to tie the series, no less) was pretty bad. But even then, that team was such a surprise. Now, I have to think of the Robert Lang game as a perfect example of truly collapsing in the biggest moment. That 2007 team was really, really, really good, too. Not to forget the collapse against Edmonton in 2006.

Last edited by USF Shark: 05-24-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old
05-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
As for how he managed to convince Columbus to give him Jeff Carter for Jack Johnson and a late first round pick, well, I have no idea. Pretty impressive.
Eh, not really. Howson is an idiot. It's not hard to swindle a moron.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 02:02 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

Quote:
I wouldn't even categorize anything that happened during the playoffs in those earlier days as a "stinker." The fact that they just were even IN the playoffs in 1994 and 1995 was a remarkable achievement. But after pulling off a completely absurd first round upset of Detroit in 1994, regardless of how close they were to beating Toronto, you can't say that they disappointed or "**** the bed". They shouldn't have beaten Detroit under any realistic circumstances. They wouldn't have if Steve Yzerman hadn't missed the first four games of the series or if the Red Wings hadn't effectively played the entire series with an empty net for them to shoot at (you remember how hilariously bad Osgood/Essensa were, I'm sure). That was a different time for this organization and the fans. You were just thrilled to be a part of it. And in 1995, they pulled off another miraculous first round victory and well, frankly, got what we all knew was coming in the next round. They didn't underperform or collapse. They got mother-****ing steamrolled by an angry juggernaut. Hell, even as a Sharks fan, I have to admit that what Sergei Fedorov and Co. did to us(I think he had 11 points in 4 games?) pretty awe-inspiring.

******** the bed has been a far more recent occurrence. The 3-0 home loss to Calgary in Game 5 of the 2004 Conference Finals (after going up there and winning 2 games to tie the series, no less) was pretty bad. But even then, that team was such a surprise. Now, I have to think of the Robert Lang game as a perfect example of truly collapsing in the biggest moment. That 2007 team was really, really, really good, too. Not to forget the collapse against Edmonton in 2006.
Oh I agree, but my point was I've seen way worse play for Sharks teams in playoffs before. There's so much talent on this team, even though we're not as talented as we were 3 years ago, that even a stinker is only a 3-0 loss.

USF Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Levie

vCash: 50
If this is the end. I'm damn proud of the team. I didn't expect them to do this well amidst February. Would be great to see them win but LA is a really strong team and I wouldn't feel bad about losing in this fashion.

Levie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 03:38 PM
thirtysix*

i like how couture says JT/burns/galiardi are all a little weird when he refers to demers as his daddy. ***** weird man...

thirtysix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 04:00 PM
redfish
awesome hockey dude

with all the negativity surrounding Hannan when he was acquired, he has been a very pleasant surprise. Has played fairly well since we acquired him.

redfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 04:09 PM
lsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkytalk View Post
with all the negativity surrounding Hannan when he was acquired, he has been a very pleasant surprise. Has played fairly well since we acquired him.
Yep - I'm quite happy with how he's played.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Led Zappa

I have the post game show on my DVR and still can't bring myself to watch it.

Old
05-24-2013, 05:00 PM
couturefan39

I wonder if this could be McLellan's last game until he gets canned.

No excuse not to suck on the road this bad and play this good at home.

His game plans for road games aren't simply working.

couturefan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 05:01 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
26 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by couturefan39 View Post

So does Sutter get fired if the Kings lose on Sunday?

Last edited by Tkachuk4MVP: 05-24-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old
05-24-2013, 05:15 PM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
I have the post game show on my DVR and still can't bring myself to watch it.
DON'T DO IT MAN!

HOOCH2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

Havlat - Thornton - Burns
Marleau - Couture - Pavelski
Galiardi - Gomez - Torres
Desijardins - Keanrs - Wingels

Havlat has let me down beyond belief. I can not fathom how a stick to the balls put this guy out for 2 weeks. Absolutely rediculious! And Torres... I like him a lot but the man obviously is a liability. Getting fined and suspended for clean hits ext. Considering the turmoil of this season, we were lucky to get this far. Its too hard to get over the hump without a full roster.

Audio Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 05:44 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by couturefan39 View Post

The net talent on the team without Havlat and Torres makes it nigh on impossible for better game plans. He did switch up stuff for LA, to no avail (different dpairings behind the forward lines). Playoffs are a matchup game where the home team gets the advantage on matchups. To get a good road record, you have to deploy a team that is always going to have one line with an advantage on matchups. If they shutout Couture and JT, then Pavs comes up. If they shutdown JT and Pavs, Couture comes up, etc. The difference between reg season and playoffs is that many playoff teams have better defenses and can shutdown two line teams. Depth pays off in the playoffs.

The one thing TM hasn't done is open up the game plan, more scoring (and it cuts both ways). That did help during the season on the road. But, many coaches are averse to it. They buy into the tough, defensive hockey playoff talk and how to win playoff games. More often than not, the team that wins the silver thingy ignores the testosterone talk to some extent and opens up.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
The one thing TM hasn't done is open up the game plan, more scoring (and it cuts both ways). That did help during the season on the road. But, many coaches are averse to it. They buy into the tough, defensive hockey playoff talk and how to win playoff games. More often than not, the team that wins the silver thingy ignores the testosterone talk to some extent and opens up.
Well if it goes to 7 games, he is gonna have to. Unless he wants the repeat of game 5.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
Oh I agree, but my point was I've seen way worse play for Sharks teams in playoffs before. There's so much talent on this team, even though we're not as talented as we were 3 years ago, that even a stinker is only a 3-0 loss.
I actually think that this team, with it's post-deadline roster intact, has as much talent as any Sharks team in recent memory. Certainly in the last 3-4 years. Of course, that roster is not intact, thanks to quite possibly the two most predictable outcomes in hockey history; Raffi Torres getting suspended and Martin Havlat getting hurt. Shocking, right?!

Honestly, while the bottom six was so bad that it almost cost the Sharks a playoff spot, before DW made his moves, I still think this team is as talented as any team in Sharks' history. They bear striking similarities to the 2008-09 team. A group of top six forwards as good as any in the NHL, and an incredibly deep and talented defense. Hell, this year's team has a better version of Thornton, Pavelski, and Marleau than the 2009 team had. And not to mention, Logan Couture is a legitimately elite center that gives the Sharks the elite other half of a 1-2 punch down the middle that they never really had to go along with Thornton. (Marleau was not nearly the elite player he is today when he played center in the 3 years after the lockout). The ironic part is that the bottom six was probably even worse in 2009 than it was this year. And it killed them in the playoffs against a deep Ducks team.

The 2009 team probably played the single most dominant half-season of hockey that I have ever seen. From any team. They absolutely **** on their opponents for the first 35-40 games. This year's Blackhawks came really close to breaking their record for most points through the first 30 games of a season, but fell one point short. Then, injuries caught up to them and they never recovered. Kinda sad.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leag...st_points.html

Old
05-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Led Zappa

Quote:
I actually think that this team, with it's post-deadline roster intact, has as much talent as any Sharks team in recent memory. Certainly in the last 3-4 years. Of course, that roster is not intact, thanks to quite possibly the two most predictable outcomes in hockey history; Raffi Torres getting suspended and Martin Havlat getting hurt. Shocking, right?!

Honestly, while the bottom six was so bad that it almost cost the Sharks a playoff spot, before DW made his moves, I still think this team is as talented as any team in Sharks' history. They bear striking similarities to the 2008-09 team. A group of top six forwards as good as any in the NHL, and an incredibly deep and talented defense. Hell, this year's team has a better version of Thornton, Pavelski, and Marleau than the 2009 team had. And not to mention, Logan Couture is a legitimately elite center that gives the Sharks the elite other half of a 1-2 punch down the middle that they never really had to go along with Thornton. (Marleau was not nearly the elite player he is today when he played center in the 3 years after the lockout). The ironic part is that the bottom six was probably even worse in 2009 than it was this year. And it killed them in the playoffs against a deep Ducks team.

The 2009 team probably played the single most dominant half-season of hockey that I have ever seen. From any team. They absolutely **** on their opponents for the first 35-40 games. This year's Blackhawks came really close to breaking their record for most points through the first 30 games of a season, but fell one point short. Then, injuries caught up to them and they never recovered. Kinda sad.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leag...st_points.html
Couldn't agree more!

Old
05-24-2013, 07:51 PM
hockfan1991

Quote:

long time fan here, cow palace days. you are correct i still remember that lang goal, i believe less then a minute left playing at home about to be up 3-1 in the series. that hurt, and being the number one seed in the second round vs oilers when 1-4 seeds lost in first round, up 2 games to 0, raffi changed that series for the oilers. i hope he gets the opportunity this time around as well. probably deserved 4 wcf in the thornton era, only 2 to show. some form of forgivness i will have if we can get there this year

hockfan1991 is offline   Reply With Quote