HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Soon to be Oilers???

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2003, 12:53 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

vCash: 500
Soon to be Oilers???

not to beat this comrie thing worse than it has been the last few weeks, but without suggesting your own trade pruposals, even though im sure this thread will degenerate into that, but from the names that keep coming up who do you guys think is the best fit to come back to e-town? i also added a UFA that I'd like to see in town.

names that have came up are...
-detroit (datsyuk, dandenault, fischer, draper)
-nashville (legwand)
-boston (boynton)
-atlanta (stefan, exelby)
-UFA (Ronning)

Datsyuk- a soon to be elite center, his name has come up alot, maybe just wishful thinking on our part, but i will break it down anyways. if he was to come here, we would probably have to anti-up alot more than mike comrie; likely a Rita and a pick.

dandenault- here's an intriguing name, dandenault is a solid defenseman who is actually a foreward (another staios). barried in the depth chart behind some of the leagues elite (lidstrom, chelios, hatcher, schneider) dandenault has the capabilities of being a top 4 guy, and has the speed and puck movement that would add another element for simmer's new look pp.

fischer- another d-man barried in the depth chart, fischer has the potential to be a top 4 guy perhaps more so than dandenault, but his wonky knee might be a deterant in any trade talks. he utilizes his size a bit as well being 6'5.

draper- draper is someone who i think the oilers can use. his pk skills are among the leagues best, he can play ALL 3 forward positions and he knows what it takes to win. one thing the oilers have lacked the last 6 yrs is a guy who knows what it takes to win. all of the oil vets have went from youthful prospects to vets (smith, smyth, moreau) as oilers and don't know how or what it takes to get over the hump. getting draper would bring some rings into the dressing room and some success stories that might make our guys a little hungrier. if edmonton was a destination for draper, i think that moreau would have to be shipped out.

Legwand- this kid has alot of potential, but has not fully developed yet. he would be a solid guy to get in return as he has the size and skills to be a #1 centre. if the oil wanted this to work, chances are there would have to be guys added on both sides.

boynton- a top 2 defenseman that has has flattened out his learning curve at the tender age of 24. would sure things up on the blueline, with the uncertainty of cory cross (looked pretty bad in camp), the virgin skates of bergeron and luoma, although both have impressed early. he can be used in all situations and emerged as the #1 d-man in beentown last year. this might be a guy who we can get strait across.

Stefan- more untapped potential, exactly what Kevin Lowe looks for when making a trade, the potential to be a #1 C/LW, but forced to play a more modest role behind Heatley and Kovalchuk. his defensive skills are improving but he still needs alot of work, but who else would like to see him centre an all czech line with dvorak and hemsky???

Exelby- the poster boy for stay at home defenseman, this kid would look good in oil silks because he loves to take the body, and is pretty responsible in his own end, but might need to tame his temperment a tad. only 22, his best years are ahead of him.

Ronning- this guy will be a good replacement if comrie was dealt for a defenceman, a one yr deal could be worked without to much financial stess on the budget, he has no size and a fair amount of speed, even at his age, might be more of a character guy, but can still be good for 30/40 points. another vet that will bring intangeables to the club.

So that is a little rundown of guys we might see in Oiler silks sooner rather than later. any preferences?

Old
09-26-2003, 12:58 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
So that is a little rundown of guys we might see in Oiler silks sooner rather than later. any preferences?
I've just gone from denial to shock so I don't know yet but I thank you for not mentioning Handzus.

Old
09-26-2003, 12:59 PM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
I like the idea of signing Ronning. In NHL 2004 I actually traded Comrie + 3rd Round Pick to Phoenix for Doan and David Tanabe. Then I signed Ronning to a 2 year deal.

So far so good

Old
09-26-2003, 01:05 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
i'd take anything but the bookends, so that means...No Ronning and no detroit players. Don't get me wrong, we could use Fischer or Datsyuk who is one of my favorite players and the only reason i watch det play. But not Dandenault and definitely not Draper... so Boynton, Legwand, Exelby and Stefan are all good in my book.

Old
09-26-2003, 04:50 PM
jadeddog

i dont know about the rest of you, but i dont think that any of these players would be CLOSE to good enough straight up for comrie

Old
09-26-2003, 05:06 PM
MrMackey

Considering that you don't want any proposals, or mention of who may be involved on the Oilers' side, here's my list:

Colin White
Radek Bonk
Dmitri Kalinin
Tim Connolly
Chris Phillips
Karel Rachunek
Brian Sutheby
Milan Kraft
Dick Tarnstrom
Michal Rozsival
Patrick Marleau
Marco Sturm
Jim Fahey

There's more, but I'll stop here & pick it up later.

Old
09-26-2003, 05:10 PM
Oi'll say!

- Datsyuk has 86 points in his two nhl seasons (136 games), that's 26 more than Comrie got in his first full season, and he's older than MC is.

Even taking into account what lines they played on etc, straight across would be a good deal for Detroit. I would be ok with that from an Oilers perspective.

- I'm almost 100% certain that Staios was a d-man that Keenan moved to the wing for a while, not the other way around.

- I get flayed by Wings fans when I mention the possibility of getting Fischer to the Oil, but I think that would be a great deal for us. [edit: I'm not really ok with a Comrie for d-man trade, this is the only exception to the rule]

-Legwand is another good name coming this way, I'd be ok with that deal too.

Maybe I'm just really easy to please or sick of the Comrie soap opera.

Old
09-26-2003, 05:40 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
- I get flayed by Wings fans when I mention the possibility of getting Fischer to the Oil, but I think that would be a great deal for us. [edit: I'm not really ok with a Comrie for d-man trade, this is the only exception to the rule]
If I recall correctly, Red Wing fans didn't necessarily think that this wasn't fair value... Just that it wouldn't really fit into the Wings' plans considering that Fischer was the only young dman in the system who is proven at the NHL level. (Especially with their defenders getting older) Also, Dats and Zetts are necessarily big boys themselves. I think that was what they were getting at.

Old
09-26-2003, 05:50 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Just that it wouldn't really fit into the Wings' plans considering that Fischer was the only young dman in the system who is proven at the NHL level.
Yeah this is the main point I think and I understand where they're coming from.

Cheli is getting to that age, and Lidstrom might be leaving the nhl early to go back to Swe. Fischer is their only premiere defenseman of the future from what I've seen, and I doubt they want to dip into the ufa pool any more than they have to.

Schneider, Lidstrom, Chelios, and Hatcher make more money than the whole Oilers team.

Old
09-26-2003, 08:00 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
hello everybody

been a long time since i last posted however here goes. dammit these talks with young talented players make me sick. comrie signs a lucrative contract and the oilers do not even get fair value and he has the audacity to ask for even more money.
anyhou i am getting carried away.
for once i would like to see the oilers get equal value if they have to trade comrie. no draft picks or guys who have potential ie isbister, no a bonafide player of comries value would suffice. draper gimme a break, legwand has that potential written all over him etc. no doubt the oilers would not get that equal value due to teams knowing lowe will have no choice but to accept the best offer he gets.
SO I SAY MAKE COMRIE SIT THE WHOLE DAMN YEAR AND POSSIBLY THE NEXT IF THE CBA IS NOT RESOLVED. THESE YOUNG GUYS KNOW THINGS COULD CHANGE AND THEY ARE NOT STUPID THIS COULD BE THEIR LAST CHANCE TO MAKE THE BIG BUCKS. MAKE HIM SIT I BELIEVE THE SPOILED BRAT NEEDS A LESSON.
dont get me wrong if comrie signs i will cheer him however he needs to grow up and realize what the real world is like. it can be harsh but sometimes you have to suck it up and take it like a man.

Old
09-26-2003, 08:07 PM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
Stefan- more untapped potential, exactly what Kevin Lowe looks for when making a trade, the potential to be a #1 C/LW, but forced to play a more modest role behind Heatley and Kovalchuk. his defensive skills are improving but he still needs alot of work, but who else would like to see him centre an all czech line with dvorak and hemsky???
His defensive skills are improving? His defensive skills have always been top-notch. He's the best two-way player on the team for Atlanta. It's his offensive production that's been lacking.

How is his role behind Heatley and Kovalchuk anyway, he's a center, and they are wings. The only person in front of Stefan on the depth chart is Marc Savard.

Old
09-26-2003, 08:46 PM
Malmo_Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
i dont know about the rest of you, but i dont think that any of these players would be CLOSE to good enough straight up for comrie

I've got to disagree with you here. I would take Fisher or Boynton straight up for Comrie (if Detroit or Boston would go for it) and if we could somehow get Legwand for Comrie *drool*... I think we would have to brainwash Nashville's GM to do a Legwand for Comrie swap.

Old
09-26-2003, 09:12 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG
His defensive skills are improving? His defensive skills have always been top-notch. He's the best two-way player on the team for Atlanta. It's his offensive production that's been lacking.

How is his role behind Heatley and Kovalchuk anyway, he's a center, and they are wings. The only person in front of Stefan on the depth chart is Marc Savard.
Ouch, Mowzie just got a Thrashing by the big boss!

Closed Thread