HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers 1 of 6 favorites to land Crosby

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2005, 12:37 AM
Onion Boy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Yea, I feel like we either get Johnson or go forward... or maybe go forward anyway if we are 1 or 2... He seems like the only guy who is a legit #1 d-man. Even if we pick 6 then we we would probably fall somewhere in here...

Crosby
Johnson
Brule
Pouliot
Ryan
Kopitar

At least one of those last three would have to fall to us, and I'd really be happy with any of them...
I'd be thrilled with any one of them though I'd rank it:

Crosby
Johnson
Kopitar
Brule
Ryan
Pouliot

Nevertheless, if we come away with at least one of the above, I'll be very happy.

Old
05-19-2005, 01:37 AM
Barnaby

I was just throwing names down... my actual order would be..

Crosby
Johnson
Brule
Pouliot
Kopitar
Ryan

Brule and Johson are REALLY close IMO. I feel when all is said and done though Johnson has a better shot as a #1 d-man then Brule has as a #1 center. Brule is pretty tough but a tad small, that always worries me with injuries etc.. but he is great.

Old
05-19-2005, 05:44 AM
Ola

Ken Campbell of the Toronto Star wrote the following on the draft lottery in yesterdays paper. The NHL have a framework where all teams gets four balls minus one ball every time the team have made the PO's the last 4 years minus every time the team have had a 1st overall pick the last 4 years. Every team is gauranteed atleast one ball. Would give the Rangers a 6.7 % shoot at Crosby.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...acodalogin=yes

Old
05-19-2005, 07:27 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

as far as i'm concerned, certain teams shouldn't even have a shot at him. These teams have qualified to high and in any other draft they wouldn't even have a shot at getting him!
Teams like this are the leafs, red wings, avalanche, flyers.
These guys don't deserve a ball until the 20th overall pick!!

Old
05-19-2005, 08:37 AM
Fletch

It's hard to get a back pick..

in the top ten of this year's draft. heck, in fact, if the Rangers somehow came away with that #1 pick, I'd see if someone at #4-8 would be willing to overpay for that pick. It would be great to get that one great guy, but it's not so bad getting a very good guy, and another good guy is someone's going to overpay. I know I may be in the minority here, but we all know how little one guy changes an organization such as the Rangers.

Old
05-19-2005, 09:40 AM
AXN

Crosby is a Penguin or a Capital. Depends who wins the lottery.

Old
05-19-2005, 10:13 AM
Fletch

If the lottery is as outlined...

shouldn't you say that Crosby is a Cap, Penguin, Ranger, 'Cane, [next 26 teams]; whichever one wins the lottery? I think it's obviously though that whoever wins the lottery, or whoever gets that #1 pick, will get Crosby.

Old
05-19-2005, 10:26 AM
DarthSather99

All I can say is that with the past lottery system, the worst team had the best chance at about a 25% and rarely did they ever get the first pick. So in saying that our 6% still doesn't look good. I'll die if Philadelphia gets the #1 overall....first they stole Lindros from us and now Crosby.

Any team that made the playoffs the last four years should be removed from the #1 overall.

Old
05-19-2005, 02:12 PM
rnyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
All I can say is that with the past lottery system, the worst team had the best chance at about a 25% and rarely did they ever get the first pick. So in saying that our 6% still doesn't look good. I'll die if Philadelphia gets the #1 overall....first they stole Lindros from us and now Crosby.

Any team that made the playoffs the last four years should be removed from the #1 overall.

absolutely, its a joke if the worst teams only get a 6% shot at crosby. IMO it should be the bottom 6 for top 6 picks, and then bottom 7-15 for picks 7-15 and the rest go from there

Old
05-19-2005, 02:26 PM
DARKSIDE

Crosby sure would fit nicely on the right side of Friesen and Parise. Hey, with the system you're discussing, it's unlikely, but possible.

Seriously, I wish they would just let the next season determine the next draft. So, raise the draft age to 19. Because, when and if the NHL comes back, I'm sure that it will look quite different then it was a in 2004.

Last edited by DARKSIDE: 05-19-2005 at 02:48 PM.
Old
05-19-2005, 02:52 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
in the top ten of this year's draft. heck, in fact, if the Rangers somehow came away with that #1 pick, I'd see if someone at #4-8 would be willing to overpay for that pick. It would be great to get that one great guy, but it's not so bad getting a very good guy, and another good guy is someone's going to overpay. I know I may be in the minority here, but we all know how little one guy changes an organization such as the Rangers.
I've given some thought to this action also. The package would have to be absolutely unreal though. Something the size of the Lindros deal that sent him to Philadelphia.

I'd take Carter, Richards and Pitkanen plus their 1st in 2005 and 2006 for Crosby.

Old
05-19-2005, 03:26 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Not so fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN
Crosby is a Penguin or a Capital. Depends who wins the lottery.
I heard from someone in Toronto that the story is not copletely accurate. He said that one of the papers said that there were conditions. One of them being that if you had already recieved the 1st overall pick you are excluded from multiple balls.
he said that only 2 teams, the NYR's being one of them would have multiple picks.
I haven't seen this anywhere else though. Thought I would just throw it out there.

Old
05-19-2005, 03:56 PM
rnyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
I heard from someone in Toronto that the story is not copletely accurate. He said that one of the papers said that there were conditions. One of them being that if you had already recieved the 1st overall pick you are excluded from multiple balls.
he said that only 2 teams, the NYR's being one of them would have multiple picks.
I haven't seen this anywhere else though. Thought I would just throw it out there.

Personally i don't believe it should be 3 balls, you lose one for everytime you made the playoffs and everytime you got a 1st rounder...still that would mean a team like Atlanta could get the first with 2 balls. While the rangers who have not come close to getting a first or making the playoffs, still could essentially lose out in the draft, which makes no sense IMO, or a team like Phoenix who would have been vastly improved had their been a season could essentially be up for the 1st

Old
05-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE
I've given some thought to this action also. The package would have to be absolutely unreal though. Something the size of the Lindros deal that sent him to Philadelphia.

I'd take Carter, Richards and Pitkanen plus their 1st in 2005 and 2006 for Crosby.
The economics of the new CBA may make trading the rights to Cosby impossible for the Rangers. Given all the salary obligations the Rangers are already locked into (Jagr, Holik, Nylander, Kaspar, etc) we may only be able to fit one more player under whatever salary restrictions there are in place.

Still, not a bad thing to be locked into.

Old
05-19-2005, 04:47 PM
BigE

I read something in the hockey hearsay portion of www.sportsnet.ca stating that it would be four "tickets" (or balls). Everyone gets one ball, then additional balls are awarded based upon the number of years a club has missed the playoffs, to a maximum of three, in the last three years.

Again, I think this is some sort of discussion-maker. Something to take our heads off of the lockout, not necessarily something that's true. Although it does seem to be more along the line of what I thought it would be.

Old
05-19-2005, 05:04 PM
DARKSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
This probably isn't anymore then an idea that's been floated. Nothing will be agreed upon until a new CBA. With that said why 3 years and 3 balls? Why not 7 years and up to 7 balls

I would think that going back five, six or seven years or so is kind of a misrepresentation. Say, a team like Atlanta and Florida could be on the fast track of moving up as a top organization. Take into consideration their stable of kids and cap room; they could turn into a cup contender real quick. I recently read somewhere the Mike Keenan has an interest in signing Pronger and Pavol Demitra. I know signing free agents as nothing to do with the draft, but due to a new CBA, certain teams will have an advantage, while other will be at a disadvantage. I believe every organization sacrificed during this lockout, some sacrificed more then others. So, potentially you could be rewarding an upcoming powerhouse. As for some of the top teams, their core players could be on the down swing of their careers and might have cap problems. Sure, you might say we never rewarded teams before on maybes, but we never had a situation like this before in sports. I'm sure certain G.M.'s have brought up the facts I just posted that’s why going back 5 or 7 years wouldn’t be fair.

Last edited by DARKSIDE: 05-19-2005 at 06:39 PM.
Old
05-20-2005, 04:19 AM
Ola

Quote:
I don't think Sather have the guts to trading Crosby. But I understand where you are comming from. Chi's 1st, T. Ruuto, Barker and Babchuk for Crosby. What would be best for us in the long run?

Old
05-20-2005, 07:34 AM
Fletch

Sather doesn't have the guts?

to trade for Crosby? I think he does. I like the packages presented, but Crosby, in my opinion, ain't worth that much. Lindros wasn't, and everbody doesn't want to make that mistake again. A top 10 pick this year, maybe a #1 next year, and a mid-level prospect. I'd actually do that - getting two more chances, and keeping a good top 10 pick. Sounds crazy, but this team cannot, and should not, rely on one guy to be its savior.

Old
05-20-2005, 09:12 AM
Ola

Quote:
to trade for Crosby? I think he does. I like the packages presented, but Crosby, in my opinion, ain't worth that much. Lindros wasn't, and everbody doesn't want to make that mistake again. A top 10 pick this year, maybe a #1 next year, and a mid-level prospect. I'd actually do that - getting two more chances, and keeping a good top 10 pick. Sounds crazy, but this team cannot, and should not, rely on one guy to be its savior.
You mean "trade away" Crosby, right?

I don't know. A 1st round pick have something like a 70% bust rate. Highly touted 1 st overall pick are a pretty safe bet.

The odds of Crosby becomming a better then avg. first line center seems really good.

Old
05-20-2005, 09:19 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE

I wouldn't give you Carter or Richards & Pitkanen .. let alone adding any other picks.

Old
05-20-2005, 09:29 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
The odds of Crosby becomming a better then avg. first line center seems really good.
Lindros DID go on to be a better than avg. first line center. Colorado brought home 2 Cups since the trade.

Old
05-20-2005, 09:39 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Lindros DID go on to be a better than avg. first line center. Colorado brought home 2 Cups since the trade.
Colorado was primed to win Cups Lndros trade or no Lindros trade. Sucking for a long time combined with very good draft record, and they were set whether they kept Lindros or traded him. You'd have to work real hard to **** up when you have Sakic, Lindros, Sundin, Nolan, and Adam Foote for starters, then add in Claude Lapointe, Kamensky in his prime, Leschysshyn, Fiset, Gusarov, Kovalenko, Karpotsev, Rene Corbet, Bill Lindsay, Janne Laukkanen, and Anson Carter.

They key to them winning was getting Roy, they had a bunch of decent goalies, Thibault, Fiset, Snow, Fernandez, but no stud #1 guy.

Old
05-20-2005, 09:45 AM
Fletch

Ola...

I think it's somewhat safe to say that the top ten picks in this year drafts have high probabilities of being decent players. Obviously Crosby is the front-runner of all, but the class behind him are no slouches. Like a Bobby Ryan...89 points (37 goals) in 62 OHL games, 6'1 224, right winger...not bad for the OHL at all.

My only point is this team needs body, need chemistry, and needs to become a team. If that means a chance at getting a top 4 defenseman (or a power forward with 30+ goal potential), plus a mid-level prospect, plus a chance at a decent player in next year's draft - I'd almost do it and give up the chance at a 100-point getter (and he ain't getting those points without s supporting staff). This isn't to knock Crosby because he could (and likely will) be a great player, albeit on the smallish side, but this team needs a bunch a quality people, and I keep thinking of the Lindros trade.

Old
05-20-2005, 09:48 AM
Fletch

Agreed John...

and if Clarke would've built a team early on around Lindros (such as the defensive-type team it has now, ex-Lindros), when Lindros was hitting his stride, and when Leclair was clicking (as those two, along with a few others including Recchi) seemed to carry the team with littls support, then perhaps the Flyers would've won a Cup or two. Heck, Lindros carried them to the Stanley Cup once, and there's only so much on man can do.

Old
05-20-2005, 09:49 AM
rnyquist

Quote:
I think it's somewhat safe to say that the top ten picks in this year drafts have high probabilities of being decent players. Obviously Crosby is the front-runner of all, but the class behind him are no slouches. Like a Bobby Ryan...89 points (37 goals) in 62 OHL games, 6'1 224, right winger...not bad for the OHL at all.

My only point is this team needs body, need chemistry, and needs to become a team. If that means a chance at getting a top 4 defenseman (or a power forward with 30+ goal potential), plus a mid-level prospect, plus a chance at a decent player in next year's draft - I'd almost do it and give up the chance at a 100-point getter (and he ain't getting those points without s supporting staff). This isn't to knock Crosby because he could (and likely will) be a great player, albeit on the smallish side, but this team needs a bunch a quality people, and I keep thinking of the Lindros trade.

But the Lindros trade only worked because all the players turned out to be great players. If we deal Crosby we risk getting a bunch of busts in return and then we're left with being the laughing stock of the NHL, again. And I don't think you have to worry about Crosby, the kid is one of the most level-headed players I've ever met. He's very Gretzky-esque in both his vision on the ice, and his attitude off the ice. This kid is a character kid who can score, and if you get him, trading him isn't guaranteed to get you anything better in return (Unless its Jeff Carter and Mike Richards plus the flyers next 2 1sts, then I'd do the deal haha)

Closed Thread