HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers 1 of 6 favorites to land Crosby

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2005, 06:18 PM
NYR469

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnyquist
weighted lottery is such a huge problem, becasue, where and when do you draw the line between picks, how do you justify a % loss between say 15 and 15 type thing. I think no matter what the system is, someone's going to be upset and its impossible to make it 100% fair. Frankly I wonder if coming up with a draft order is going to be harder then negotiating a CBA
no matter what someone is gonna be upset is a MAJOR understatement...in fact given the prize of crosby i GUARANTEE that no matter how fair or unfair the system is there will be 29 pissed off teams and every fan who's team didn't land crosby will find some flaw or complaint about why it wasn't fair. only the team that gets him will be happy with it...

and if god forbid the rangers get the top pick then head for the storm cellar cause all hell will breakout

Old
05-23-2005, 06:35 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I'm trying not to be biased, but I personally believe that the weighted way is the most equitable. The Flyes, Wings, and others still have a chance at the #1 pick; an even better chance at a top 10 pick. I'd be willing to bet that if there was a season, they wouldn't even have that. Of course, that thought's meaningless as there wasn't a season. The next fairest way to do it is the same way as the last time. But of course, that's not too fair either. Taking the last few seasons, I believe, is the most logical (changing from the word equitable as equitable would mean 30 balls, one for each team).
Because there was no season, nothing to base results on. teams that sucked in 2003-04 already were rewarded. Teams that suck in 2005-06 will be rewarded again.

Also with such drastic changes coming teams are going to look drastically different then when we last saw them a year ago. Some teams may have as much as 70% roster turnover.

Old
05-23-2005, 06:50 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
and if god forbid the rangers get the top pick then head for the storm cellar cause all hell will breakout
Your right about that, tho I'd be shocked if we got the pick. I'm sure I could find away to get over the criticism tho...

Old
05-23-2005, 07:39 PM
Fletch

I do hear you John...

but I don't think every team should be treated equally. To me, basing it off several years is quite fair because that tends to smooth-out the seasons. It would probably closely approximate where teams would've been last season anyways. True it doesn't account for the future (i.e., 70% roster turnover), but I do believe there needs to be some sort of weighted basis for the draft, but I can see where you are coming from. Not exactly sure where I'd stand if the Rangers were in the playoffs the last three years, but likely I wouldn't have expected to have gotten a decent pick in this season's draft and would've thought a weighted draft would be the way to go - but admittedly that's easy to say now.

Old
05-23-2005, 07:48 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
While i'm not rooting for Crosby to end up with the Rangers, I'd much prefer that that to see him end up in Ottawa, Tampa or New Jersey.

Old
05-23-2005, 08:15 PM
rnyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
While i'm not rooting for Crosby to end up with the Rangers, I'd much prefer that that to see him end up in Ottawa, Tampa or New Jersey.
new jersey, oh great, let's send the poor kid to the pits of hockey hell. They win 3 cups and still no one cares

Old
05-23-2005, 10:08 PM
BigE

Everyone has a problem with the way they're doing things, why not follow the trend of the CBA and do what's best for the league...

Old
05-24-2005, 02:15 AM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:

Yeah. Let's send him to a team that's already established and two areas that can't take advantage of his drawing power.

Man. Columbus would be much better than any of those. I bet that's who gets him.

Old
05-24-2005, 07:07 AM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Columbus would far and away be my first choice (well...maybe 2nd )

Old
05-24-2005, 08:20 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
call me disillusioned but the best the kid can wish for is to stay away from NYC.
He needs a nurturing coach and GM......can't see it.

Old
05-24-2005, 09:40 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by london ranger
call me disillusioned but the best the kid can wish for is to stay away from NYC.
He needs a nurturing coach and GM......can't see it.
Have to admit that its hard argue with someone who is putting down the NYR after the last 7 years. But NYR's biggest problem have not been the GM or the coach or the media pressure or how they have handled young players ect.

The ingrediens that is necessary for a hockey team to be successful have simply not been on the roster. Team spirit, "will to win", balance between checkers and skill players.

We had players who had the ability to put a team "over the top" but only a pair of players prepared to work hard enough to get to the mountain. That will not be the case next year...

Old
05-24-2005, 10:20 AM
rnyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Have to admit that its hard argue with someone who is putting down the NYR after the last 7 years. But NYR's biggest problem have not been the GM or the coach or the media pressure or how they have handled young players ect.

The ingrediens that is necessary for a hockey team to be successful have simply not been on the roster. Team spirit, "will to win", balance between checkers and skill players.

We had players who had the ability to put a team "over the top" but only a pair of players prepared to work hard enough to get to the mountain. That will not be the case next year...
I disagree completely, the team NEVER fostered any willingness to play harder for the team. Guys like Holik, Lundmark etc. (not singling them out) would find themselves moved all over the lines with inconsistent play and no idea as to what role they were playing in this team. The GM did an atrocious job at hiring coaches, and the coaches made matters even worse. Name any other championship team, where practices are ALWAYS optional. Name another championship team, where the captain, your leader never went to practices....yup there's some good leadership. Where was the coach willing to step up and demand practices and a sufficient leader? Where was the gm, willing to bring in young players to spark the teams offence? Or the coach willing to give the young guys a chance to provide some energy? Any time a young guy did well he was sure to be rewarded, WITH THE FOURTH LINE! or a trip to the minors. The fact remains, you can have the hardest working players in the league all on one team but you'll win nothing if your gm and coach can't provide the atmosphere in which to succeed.

Old
05-24-2005, 11:09 AM
Barnaby

I'm sure Crosby would survive. He'd be going to a team that would allow him to make a TON of money in endorsements.

If not NYR, then I'd most like to see him in Chicago. I used to always think of them as a hockey city when I was younger, but they've been so bad for so long. He could really help re-ignite that city which would be great for the league.

Old
05-26-2005, 02:57 PM
habsfan4life

Yea... bring Crosby to prospect hell. That's just what he needs. That's just what hockey needs.

Old
05-26-2005, 03:00 PM
Fletch

That hurts, habsfan...

hurts because it's true...but, the Rangers did at one time have some decent guys under the age of 30, many of whom were drafted and worked out pretty well. Haven't had to many superstuds under 21 year olds in a while though and it would be nice to see one.

Old
05-26-2005, 03:20 PM
Levitate

crosby isn't likely to be a prospect for long, if at all. unless he really bombs in training camp of whatever team drafts him, i bet you we'll see him suited up opening day in the NHL.

that's probably even more likely with the rangers (for good or bad) since it'd be a huge marketing opportunity for them

Old
05-26-2005, 03:26 PM
bsenskmolson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
crosby isn't likely to be a prospect for long, if at all. unless he really bombs in training camp of whatever team drafts him, i bet you we'll see him suited up opening day in the NHL.
I think he will definitely suit up in the NHL on opening day(pending lockout resolution)....

Closed Thread