HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Vancouver Cap Problems

Old
05-24-2013, 11:39 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Luongo is going to get amnestied. Nobody is going to take his contract, especially if they have the possibility of signing him after he gets amnestied.
Only if nobody wants Schneider IMO.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Oh, that's right. I forgot. Toronto no longer needs a starter. Don't forget the Leafs had that series won, until Reimer's collapse. Can you say 'Dan Cloutier'? Dave Nonis lived through Cloutier. Nonis realized he needs to upgrade at goalie, if his team is going to advance.
LOL...right, that was all on Reimer. Newsflash, that was a TEAM collapse. And whether you "forgot" or not you are at least correct, the leafs do not need Luongo. As far as Nonis realizing that he needed to upgrade Cloutier....just how old was Luongo when he made that deal? Did Luongo come attached to a boat anchor of a contract?

If you believe "Hockeywidow", Nonis wouldn't take Lu for 2 2nds and Scrivens, and that was before Reimer carried the Leafs to 7 games against the Bruins (stealing games 5 and 6 pretty much on his own). Why would he do it now?

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Could you see the Canucks trading Luongo to Philly for Coutourier or Simmonds and Bryzgalov? Then the Canucks are the ones who absord Bryzgalov's salary in a buy-out?
Is this guy serious?

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Luongo is not getting bought out enough with this crap. Easy solution to this is trade Luongo for a non cap asset, buyout Ballard and even possible Booth.
Welsome to Fantasy Island.....

What team would take that albatross contract? even if they do trade him and he agrees to retire in 3 years...the cap recapture kicks on and Vancouver gets hit because of the total money paid vs cap hit during his years of service and then have to take that hit.

Luongo will have to be the one that is bought out. The only way a team would be willing to take on a year of Longo's contract and then buy him out wiuld require them to get money from Vancouver to help pay for the buy out plus they will be asking for a few picks and prospects for this service.

What Vancouver needs to do:

1, buy out Luongo

2. Buy outh Booth/Ballard---trade the other. Buffalo likely near the cap floor if therade Vanek and Miller and dont retain salary. They would take one of the two and have them for next year then buy them out in 2014. for this service they will be asking for a pick or young player.

3. They need to Seriously consider trading Edler and Kesler for younger/cheaper players.

4. In resigning the Sedins, they need to ask them to take a pay cut of around 50%-60% of what they currently make which would free up enough space to sign/resign a quality UFA.

the other option...they buy out Booth/Ballard this year, trade Schneider and Edler...then go all in next year by making a deal for Vanek (50% cap hit) + pther rental players for next year.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 11:41 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Only if nobody wants Schneider IMO.
Ill take Schneider anyday on Philly

Old
05-24-2013, 11:58 AM
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

vCash: 366
Quote:
Ill take Schneider anyday on Philly
But what would you be willing to give up?

Back in 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:08 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Who says it would require several top prospects? I'd do it for one.
I'll be sorry for DiPietro when Wang buys him out. His body has just not been able to stay healthy and allow him to be a productive nhler.

Sometimes you make lousy signings or bad trades, then have to take a hit for them later. Isles will with DiPietro, Vancouver will Luongo.

It would be very ironic, if both end up bought out this summer.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:09 PM
supert

Quote:
Luongo is not getting bought out enough with this crap. Easy solution to this is trade Luongo for a non cap asset, buyout Ballard and even possible Booth.
If you can . I say you will have to keep part of the cap hit , say 1.5 million . Luongo is worth what he is being paid . However at some point he will become an issue . Also if i am an owner i would rather eat part of his salary then buy him out . 1.5 million may not mean much in 2 years as the cap starts going up again

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:13 PM
K2B
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post

What team would take that albatross contract? even if they do trade him and he agrees to retire in 3 years...the cap recapture kicks on and Vancouver gets hit because of the total money paid vs cap hit during his years of service and then have to take that hit.

Luongo will have to be the one that is bought out. The only way a team would be willing to take on a year of Longo's contract and then buy him out wiuld require them to get money from Vancouver to help pay for the buy out plus they will be asking for a few picks and prospects for this service.

What Vancouver needs to do:

1, buy out Luongo

2. Buy outh Booth/Ballard---trade the other. Buffalo likely near the cap floor if therade Vanek and Miller and dont retain salary. They would take one of the two and have them for next year then buy them out in 2014. for this service they will be asking for a pick or young player.

3. They need to Seriously consider trading Edler and Kesler for younger/cheaper players.

4. In resigning the Sedins, they need to ask them to take a pay cut of around 50%-60% of what they currently make which would free up enough space to sign/resign a quality UFA.

the other option...they buy out Booth/Ballard this year, trade Schneider and Edler...then go all in next year by making a deal for Vanek (50% cap hit) + pther rental players for next year.
What utter BS. You make it sound like you have a inside scoop on Luongo's value to other teams, you don't know jack **** about his value to other GM's. What's going to be hilarious is when Luongo gets traded for a decent package fans of other team will turn your point of view around saying Vancouver didn't get enough for Luongo and reck on Gillis for it. Just like what some of you were doing with the AV firing.

K2B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:17 PM
CrazyJ

Why are Toronto fans so concerned about Vancouvers cap? Reminds me of a bunch of Vultures. I think the cap "issue" in Vancouver is less than many percieve it to be, stop obsessing so much, you will be disapointed.

CrazyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Tanev (also unlikely to sign).

A Luongo buyout seems like an easy solution but does ownership pay 34million (10% of franchise value)?
1) No way they let Tanev walk.. he won't command a huge payday...

2) Luongo won't be bought out. His cap hit is the 10th highest for goalies... far from crippling. Even the next 5 guys (10-15) are all within 800k of Luongos caphit.
(yes, long term blah blah blah, but the cap hit is extremely mangeable)

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJ View Post
Why are Toronto fans so concerned about Vancouvers cap? Reminds me of a bunch of Vultures. I think the cap "issue" in Vancouver is less than many percieve it to be, stop obsessing so much, you will be disapointed.
1. Toronto fans are NHL fans and there are lots of them
2. Vancouver is in an interesting cap situation (deny it all you want)
3. It's the summer

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:21 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in 94 View Post
But what would you be willing to give up?
If we didnt have a glaring need on defense, Id give up Couturier +. But Id rather trade Coots only for a similar defensemen (Kulikov). Not sure what else we could work out for Scheneider.

Brayden Schenn is a no go as is Simmonds.

Maybe Hartnell and Coburn and our first for Edler and Scheneider lol. No that wasnt serious. I know thats bad for Vancouver

Old
05-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Djp

Quote:
What utter BS. You make it sound like you have a inside scoop on Luongo's value to other teams, you don't know jack **** about his value to other GM's. What's going to be hilarious is when Luongo gets traded for a decent package fans of other team will turn your point of view around saying Vancouver didn't get enough for Luongo and reck on Gillis for it. Just like what some of you were doing with the AV firing.

He is not going to get that much in value---sorry to say.

The team will have to make an ageement with Vancouver if they buy him out in 2014 that Vancouver eats half of that payment.

If his contract were just 3 years left at $5M...no problem....Vancouver would get decent value in return.

If the league allowed a team to hold on to one of their buyouts until say 2016....no problem....Vancouver will get decent vakue in return.

But he has umpteen years left. If Luongo agreeds to retire after 3 years...then some teams would be willing to make an offer. But he could easily turn in a Favre or Hasek and just not want to go away.

Because of that risk teams arent bitting.

Old
05-24-2013, 12:24 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:

Luongo will have to be the one that is bought out.

Guarantee you he isn't bought out. If hes bought out, I will change my avatar/signature to something you determine, and vice-versa if he is bought out.

*My proposal would be changing your avatar to something Luongo based (I will determine later), and your signature would read "I do not understand player trade values and have no idea how players salaries/cap-hits work"

*Edit forgot hfboards doesnt do signatures

Old
05-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
1) No way they let Tanev walk.. he won't command a huge payday...

2) Luongo won't be bought out. His cap hit is the 10th highest for goalies... far from crippling. Even the next 5 guys (10-15) are all within 800k of Luongos caphit.
(yes, long term blah blah blah, but the cap hit is extremely mangeable)
The cap hit isnt the isue---its the length. If he doesnt get bought out in 2014 or retuires in 3 years the team that gets him are SOL

Old
05-24-2013, 12:25 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

How do Vancouver fans feel about a trade like this

Schneider
Edler

For

Hartnell
Coburn
1st in 13 (#11)

Old
05-24-2013, 12:26 PM
Skead

Vancouver Sends:
Mason Raymond
3rd Rounder
+ Prospect

Florida Sends:
Quentin Howden
+Roster Player
Upshall, Scottie (Buyout)

Vancouver Buyout:
R. Luongo

Florida Signs:
R. Luongo

Skead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
blankall

Aquilini is not paying 10s of millions to buy out Luongo. This is real life, where money matters.

Schneider gets traded before that happens. If Schneider gets traded, Luongo will also get over his hurt feelings, and play to the best of his ability as a starter in Vancouver. That's what he gets paid many millions of dollars to do.

Trading Schneider could also bring back a very solid forward. Two birds, one stone.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJ View Post
Probably all stems from the last 12-15 months of Van fans being "concerned" about TO's goaltending and GM situation.

Old
05-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post

Guarantee you he isn't bought out. If hes bought out, I will change my avatar/signature to something you determine, and vice-versa if he is bought out.

They could opt to keep him and then trade Schneider....My point is they arent going to be able to trade him to another team and get any sort of true value return for him.

Old
05-24-2013, 12:28 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
They could opt to keep him and then trade Schneider....My point is they arent going to be able to trade him to another team and get any sort of true value return for him.
So your not very confident he will be bought out it sounds like..

Old
05-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Skead

Quote:
How do Vancouver fans feel about a trade like this

Schneider
Edler

For

Hartnell
Coburn
1st in 13 (#11)

Do not see a situation where they would give up Edler and their top goaltender for an aging forward + solid defensive prospect.

Edler would be moved for someone like Bobby Ryan (and it's reported they don't plan on moving him)

Skead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:30 PM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Aquilini is not paying 10s of millions to buy out Luongo. This is real life, where money matters.

Schneider gets traded before that happens. If Schneider gets traded, Luongo will also get over his hurt feelings, and play to the best of his ability as a starter in Vancouver. That's what he gets paid many millions of dollars to do.

Trading Schneider could also bring back a very solid forward. Two birds, one stone.
I 100% agree with you. The same thing can be said for Philly buying out Bryz.

Old
05-24-2013, 12:31 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
Do not see a situation where they would give up Edler and their top goaltender for an aging forward + solid defensive prospect.

Edler would be moved for someone like Bobby Ryan (and it's reported they don't plan on moving him)
Coburn is a more than solid player and not a prospect haha Im sure you just made a mistake on that. I see why Vancouver wouldnt do thT though. Im not great with proposals.